Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for Arena based PVP MMORPG

Dragonking60Dragonking60 Member Posts: 145

So I've been trying some recently and have a number of complaints heres what I've tried and what they're lacking

League of Legends

I liked this at first but the interface is rather dull and the graphics are very poor. I also hate the idea of buying tons of new characters that take a longass time to unlock. Finally, I feel there is very little skill involved because of all the minions, it can just be really boring.

Heroes of Newerth

This game is great, its kinda simliar to  LoL, yet I feel like the focus is more on player skill then watching the armies obliterate each other, I would like to see more chance based skills and items though, and I wish I didnt have to pay 30 bucks to get a real account.

Bloodline Champions

Dull, horrid, this is just a fighting game with four players and a top down view. Character Design is also quite ugly at times.I also start with like 3 characters which is even worse then LoL

So basically i'm looking for chance based skills and items, maybe even powerups, lots of starting characters, and hopefully a single player mode, if anyone can recommend something please post.

Comments

• drakes821drakes821 Member UncommonPosts: 535

Guild Wars. Great arena PvP and you can solo through most the content as long as you get NPCs to help you.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

check out bloodline champions, its a fun arena pvp based mmo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vu70sWL2pA

edit: nevermind, i got deep into the video and forgot you didnt like it LOL

PS: mmorpg staff, please add an erase post button.... thanks

edit 2: OP, try LOCO (Land of Chaos online) its like leage of legends but its 3D third person with RTS elements, also Savage 2 online is kind of similar to LOCO

LOCO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srV0r4A9Jws

Savage 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQX-9Lx1_nQ

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

Rakion and GunZ?

Both are pretty old now though, couldn't really tell you much about them now since I played them years ago, but they both had character progression atleast (levels/skills/equipment) and also some co-op story/quest-lite modes.

• Dragonking60Dragonking60 Member Posts: 145

I don't mind the top down view, I highly prefer it actually, I would still like an arena but enough of this elitist such and such build always wins, throw some luck in there! Please! Thats whats keeping these games from being exciting. More maps woud also be quite nice.

• MikkhailMikkhail Member Posts: 21

Not strictly arena, per se ... but the funnest PvP game on the 'net right now is World of Tanks.

I am completely addicted.

http://game.worldoftanks.com/

Originally posted by Mikkhail

Not strictly arena, per se ... but the funnest PvP game on the 'net right now is World of Tanks.

I am completely addicted.

http://game.worldoftanks.com/

sorry man, tanks definetly aren't my thing.

also more to the point is Heroes of Newerth worth buying? I've only played it for a bit and seems a lot better then LoL but I don't know about spending 30 bucks on it when LoL is free

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Cosmic Break: has some pve, your robots level up, they are customizable, and pvp takes place in 15v15 or 30v30 arena's, you also get rank ups with gives you free stuff and lets you into higher end arena rooms. Need to spend a bit of cash though the ingame funds bought robots won't last you forever, you'll eventually need to get some Rt (cash shop currency) robots, they range from 4-5 US each, most of the time u gotta roll garatroll.. errr garapon for the good ones. Get used to Garatroll trolling the crap out of you though with useless junks

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• AxeshunAxeshun Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 82

Originally posted by rojo6934

check out bloodline champions, its a fun arena pvp based mmo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vu70sWL2pA

edit: nevermind, i got deep into the video and forgot you didnt like it LOL

PS: mmorpg staff, please add an erase post button.... thanks

edit 2: OP, try LOCO (Land of Chaos online) its like leage of legends but its 3D third person with RTS elements, also Savage 2 online is kind of similar to LOCO

LOCO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srV0r4A9Jws

Savage 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQX-9Lx1_nQ

Savage 2 looked really cool. I had seen it before in a random passing but forgot all about it. 

• mayh3mmayh3m Member UncommonPosts: 79

Well its a little unconventional in that it is a 3rd person shooter, but it has serious MMO tendencies.

Maybe give Global Agenda a look. Nice early on PvE to learn the class (can be skipped) then random 4man PvE dungeons if wanted and instanced arena-esque larger PvP matches. 4 classes, loot drops, etc. 

Its not for everyone, but did just go F2P. I dabble and it is a nice change of pace. Figured I would put it out there, just in case.

Current: BDO
    Looking forward to: Crowfall & Chronicles of Elyria

• StofftierStofftier Member Posts: 93

I would give darkspore a try :>

Originally posted by mayh3m

Well its a little unconventional in that it is a 3rd person shooter, but it has serious MMO tendencies.

Maybe give Global Agenda a look. Nice early on PvE to learn the class (can be skipped) then random 4man PvE dungeons if wanted and instanced arena-esque larger PvP matches. 4 classes, loot drops, etc. 

Its not for everyone, but did just go F2P. I dabble and it is a nice change of pace. Figured I would put it out there, just in case.

Nah, but its funny that that exact company just announced a DOTA style game called smite, its got a facebook page and im watching ;)

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Guildwars have by far the best arena experience.

Here will the most skilled person win. not the one that has been farming gear forever.

It have no monthly fees and you can get a GW platinum box cheap, it is a bargain.

Guildwars is my second best buy ever ( #1 is my hand made sword, best thousand bucks I ever spent :).

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I would say Warhammer Online. The traditional MMORPG aspects of the game is quite dull and the end game is garbage but the instanced scenarios are quite fun and you can basically do that all the way from lvl 1 to cap.

Also League of Legends, it has only two maps but has alot more and varied champions than the Warhammer Classes.

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

I don't exactly understand, why you're looking for a MMORPG when you're interested in arena-PvP.

Why don't you simply play a shooter?

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by Yalexy

I don't exactly understand, why you're looking for a MMORPG when you're interested in arena-PvP.

Well I can speak only for myself but PvP with some persistant element is better than no persistancy at all. Also shooters are usually twitch based mouse aim combat, quite different from targetted and power activated combat.

For example I really like Leaugue of Legends but dont like FPS games much.

Originally posted by Yalexy

I have a few reasons why I don't play shooters. First off I don't like first person gameplay, second off I like my fantasy themes, and I also like the idea of skills and leveliing up even if its temporary. Besides I enjoy the idea that damage varies unlike most shooters where you have health and deal a certain amount of damage. Shooters are boring to me.

To everyone else, is there anything strictly arena based? I want something were I have at least 10 prefined characters that I can use.

• TrinicaTrinica Member Posts: 13

You want good PvP and you're LOOKING for RNG and powerups?  I think what you want is actually more along the lines of a God-mode cheat for a single-player game....Or an aimbot.  I don't see how you didn't like Bloodline Champions....Most balanced PvP I've ever seen in ANY game, EVER....But it appears you're not looking for balance.

You know, I'm really not sure what the heck you want....

• TrinicaTrinica Member Posts: 13

Wait, you also want at least 10 characters already unlocked for you??  Wtf.  You're DEFINITELY looking for cheat codes to a single-player game.  Real PvP games don't give you everything right from the start broski....

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

Maybe you just need to get into top ELO of LoL or HoN.  Those games take tons of skill.  Just cause you own some new players before your level 30 in LoL doesn't really mean much.  Get to level 30, play ranked matches and you'll start to see a lot of skill. I'm not sure what else you are looking for because frankiy (even Bloodline Champions) are probably the best on the market for arena based.