Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

User Avatars

darkboazdarkboaz Member UncommonPosts: 160

I dont think this is going to be popular but I think it needs to be in place. I love that this site allows us to make the choice to see user signatures. We need an option for Avatars.

I brought this to the attention of Mr Bitton about a month ago in an email but have not had any meaningful follow up. This has prompted me to come to this open forum intended for such suggestions and suggest that MMORPG really needs to either carry a seizure warning or address such images. We need an option of not seeing  user avatars or to simply not allow the use of animated avatars. Granted we do not have any one using images such as the gif image in this link  

* No not look at open or go to the following if you have any photo sensitivity. * http://media.photobucket.com/image/seizure+warning+gif+/705ezi/seizure-1.gif

I have seen such nonsense on other sites. Let us be a little proactive and head that off before it can happen here. We already have people using images that that do flash just for the sake of flashing. I have always just tried to hold my hand over the few images here that give me issues but when they post multiple times in a thread, it gets hard to be able to use the site when a fix to this is so relatively easy to offer.

I have been using this site for years and its almost silly that im bringing this up now. I have been here so long to only recently bringing it up. I tend not to post much preferring to read what others have to say rather then toss in my 2 cents. My motivation for this is born out of the realization that I have always just tried to work around some images when really I should not have to.

Comments

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

I agree, granted I dont belive I've seen the avatars to which you are refering, I agree nonetheless.

• SircaSirca Member UncommonPosts: 110

As far as I am concerned I do not see any issues with the current avatar options and mgt.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

While I do not have physical issues with such images I do find them to be very annoying. Of course the annoyance factor is why they are probably chosen.

I think the option to turn off avatars is something worth looking into.  Personally, I would prefer that avatars or signatures that contain movement of any sort not be permitted. The issue that brings up is the additional policing of such images on a site with several thousand active members. Just keeping a lid on the gold sellers is at times difficult.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • darkboazdarkboaz Member UncommonPosts: 160

Well it has been another month since I brought this up last and I am glad to see it even drew a few responses. It is also interesting that the one comment that there is no issue was made by a user with an animated avatar that im some parts of the US could be taken as a hate speech much like using a swastika is in parts of Europe.

This issue of course has not nor will it resolve it’s self. I am not just going to fad away and stop asking for a reasonable accommodation. I am trying to take the lack of action on this matter for what I believe it to be. This is to say that there just has not yet been the time to address the issue rather then as a refusal to do anything about it.

I am dumbfounded that there as been no discernable action or meaning full follow up to this issue. I have tried to be patient but it is painfully obvious that nothing is being done about it. This could so easily be handled with a simple toggle to just stop seeing any Avatars. It is also nearly unbelievable that you have allowed what has already been pointed out as an avatar that is seen as hate speech to still be used. Does that mean I can take for an avatar an image of Hitler with strobing lights for eyes standing next to a swastika? I would hope not.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Originally posted by darkboaz

I am dumbfounded that there as been no discernable action or meaning full follow up to this issue. I have tried to be patient but it is painfully obvious that nothing is being done about it. This could so easily be handled with a simple toggle to just stop seeing any Avatars. It is also nearly unbelievable that you have allowed what has already been pointed out as an avatar that is seen as hate speech to still be used. Does that mean I can take for an avatar an image of Hitler with strobing lights for eyes standing next to a swastika? I would hope not.

I found an irrating avatar: Some sort of magic-eye: User: Thrakk: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/313849/page/1

I used the BLOCK button on the top-LHS of the post and that solved  the problem. : )

That is a great example. Unfortunately, this site is about being able to exchange ideas and find out about things. I should not have to block “spot light posters” because they insist on using an avatar with strobing eyes. elocke has things that are worth hearing but because of his choice of avatar I have had to block him, not really a good fix. Alas It is the one I am using.

• Endo13Endo13 Member Posts: 187

As a temporary workaround you could always use the latest version of Firefox with adblock plus to block what you need to. With it, I can block individual avatars or all avatars on the site quickly and easily.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

I hate to ask, but if someone is prone to epiliptic episodes over moving images why are they interested in video game forums....

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by skeaser

I hate to ask, but if someone is prone to epiliptic episodes over moving images why are they interested in video game forums....

Or even MMO's for that matter.  I cant even count the times in numerous MMO's that I've played where the spell effects seem enough to hurt my eyes. 

Originally posted by skeaser

That is a valid and great question skeaser. Photosensitivity works differently for different people but there are some things that tend to be “triggers”. Once in a great while in a game I may run into a graphics anomaly that will/can give me an issue, its rare last time it happened was the general fight in LOTRO back when they where having issues with dx10 and the mob could appear and disappear rapidly on some systems. Generally speaking the slower something strobes the less likely it is to have an affect. Some of the small advertisements here come close but have not had any issues with there flashing but again they strobe slower or only fore a second then stop.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

We'll take rapidly animating (annoying) avatars under consideration for removal. You can feel free to use the report tool on the post you saw the avatar and explain why you feel the avatar should be removed.

I will also look into if we can add a toggle for turning off all avatars in the user control panel.

The avatar that spawned all of my issues is still in use almost 6 months after I brought it to your attention Mr Bitton. I do thank you for looking into seeing about a toggle.

Please get in touch with me privately regarding this avatar so I may take a look at it. I do not recall receiving the original correspondence.

Hi everyone,

There is now a switch in the User CP (Click "Your Profile" at the top of the site) that will enable you to toggle avatars on/off.

You guys rock, thank you.