Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there hope for me on the horizon?

KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

OK, its happening again.  I've been playing Rift since shortly after launch (I didn't play beta at all) and now that my character has been level 50 for a few weeks, and has started to gear up decently, (3 or 4 AH purples, rest blues) I'm rapidly losing interest in the game.  Sure, I know, I'm supposed to head into the T1/T2 Dungeons and start the gear grind for better stuff, but I don't want to.  Just not how I'm wired nor the end game experience I'm after. (let's not get into a discussion of what else there is to do here plz)

I'm looking for an MMORPG where there's some sort of territory/castles to fight over and defend.  Where the end game goals aren't to endlessly gear up my charcter, but perhaps have an alternate skill set to work for (a la DAOC and its Realm Ranks/Skills) as a means to continue advancement. An economy where crafted goods are important (even though I'm not much of a crafting type) or has good social mechanics (ok, even some strongly encouraged and facillitated grouping)

Regarding the upcoming new titles, GW2, SWTOR, TERA or others, does anyone know (or think) they'll contain some of the elements I'm really looking for, or will they be more like the traditional MMOPRG design that most gamers seem to favor these days. (gear/dungeon/raiding centric)

No need to flame (not trying to start a fight) or tell me to do my research (60 hour work weeks don't give me much free time), I'm just asking for peoples opinions on what might be of interest to a person with my MMO gaming tastes.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read/respond.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Comments

• EnerzealEnerzeal Member Posts: 326

Releasing soon? I don't know of any.

Archeage and World of Darkness remain on my radar, but there is no news about World of Darkness beyond its being released, and archeage is a long way off with no set NA/EU publisher lined up.

Eve Online if you enjoy that gameplay style might do it for you, Age of Conan has a special server coming very soon, no guards, no pvp restricted areas, and some partial player looting (most probably backpack items and generated loot), one character per server.

EQ has a progression server if you don't mind a blast from the past graphics set.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Of the upcoming titles you mentioned, I know that both GW2 and TERA will have things for players to fight over.  I believe GW2 with have a three-server WvWvW PvP area, and TERA has a political control system now and will also have server versus server fighting as well from what I've heard.

Not sure about SWTOR.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• arcanistarcanist Member Posts: 163

try dawntide. its based around guild vs guild territory warfare. though I think its still in open beta. havent really been looking at it recently.

• Short-StrawShort-Straw Member Posts: 422

To save you some time, the next "big things coming" are, GW2, SW:TOR, TERA, TSW and Arche Age. Reference what you're looking for OP, GW2 would probably be your best bet but I wouldn't ignore any of them. These games are probably going to be released later this year or early next year.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by Kyleran

I'm looking for an MMORPG where there's some sort of territory/castles to fight over and defend.  Where the end game goals aren't to endlessly gear up my charcter, but perhaps have an alternate skill set to work for (a la DAOC and its Realm Ranks/Skills) as a means to continue advancement. An economy where crafted goods are important (even though I'm not much of a crafting type) or has good social mechanics (ok, even some strongly encouraged and facillitated grouping)

Regarding the upcoming new titles, GW2, SWTOR, TERA or others, does anyone know (or think) they'll contain some of the elements I'm really looking for, or will they be more like the traditional MMOPRG design that most gamers seem to favor these days. (gear/dungeon/raiding centric)

GW2 will feature WvW-PvP, a PvP-mode where hundreds of players from three different servers fight against each other. In this mode you can level your character as well as loot enemy players (so you won't have to leave WvW-PvP to get better gear). There are fortresses as well as resource-producing structures such as mines and lumbermills scattered across the map which you can capture. Capturing any of these control points could give the world benefits such as enhanced loot drop or faster energy regeneration.

In GW2 I believe the gear will plateau at max level, and all gear can be obtained through dungeons, looting mobs, crafting and/or buying from players/NPCs. I believe the crafting is rather simplistic, but so far we don't know what kind of impact crafting will have on the economy. 

GW2 doesn't penalize soloing or grouping, because there's no holy trinity, everyone receives full experience from killing and everyone gets to roll on a mob (so no killstealing).

So far there is no information on raiding content, but there ais content for large groups in the form of large Dynamic Events.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

Anyone know if TERA is going to have castle seiging like Lineage 1/2 had?  I think I read that it might.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• kado2kado2 Member Posts: 80

From what I've read of it ArcheAge might have more than a few of the things you seem to be looking for if not all of them. Either way I would recommend to the OP that they should definitely keep an eye on that one at least.

Retired: EVE, SWG, STO, EQ2, Ryzom, AO, LotRO, FFXI
    Currently Awaiting: SWTOR, TSW, ArcheAge

• EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913

I'd just revisit any existing games such as AoC, Aion or even WoW not to get myself hyped up for the next messiah.

Originally posted by Emhster

I'd just revisit any existing games such as AoC, Aion or even WoW not to get myself hyped up for the next messiah.

Funny you should mention that, I did revist WOW earlier this year, but ran into the same wall as soon as I hit level 85 (rerolled on a new server just to stretch out the experience a bit) and am considering a return to EVE.

But I was really hoping one of the up in coming games might have a few elements that appeal to me, and I agree, GW2 seems like one of the strongest contenders....we'll see.

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

Yep there is hope OP,some major stuff comeing 2011/2012 but as of now i'm hitting the single player stuff  as these big Mo's are gonna hit about the same time be it beta or not,so i wil have my hands full sometime soon.

So with Archeage,TSW,GW2,SWOTR,Copernicus,WOD there is hope over the horizon anyhoo here is brief take.

Archeage   Err everything also ship combat !!,also being developed for the West as well as Asia so hopefully no Japlish.

TSW          

Open ended no skill classes,puzzle and gameplay based on ancient myth,full community interaction required to complete puzzles and full integration on a social scale.

GW2

Dynamic events system may revolutionise the way we play the basic quest formula.Also B2P a winner in my book anyday

SWOTOR

Full story based MO with each player interacting in own set of events and changeing story as you play,it's Bioware say no more plus limited ship combat and you get your own ship cool !!

WOD 

Dunno but CCP/White Wolf and vampires seem a good mix.

Copernicus 

Owner is game mad be it WOW mad but says he will try something different,plus he's loaded will give devs time to develop his baby and Big huge games have a good rep as devs.

p>
  • ltankltank Member UncommonPosts: 293

I left Rift to go back to Warhammer Online which I had been away from for about a year. I'm pretty happy with the decision so far.

• EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913

Funny you should mention that, I did revist WOW earlier this year, but ran into the same wall as soon as I hit level 85 (rerolled on a new server just to stretch out the experience a bit) and am considering a return to EVE.

But I was really hoping one of the up in coming games might have a few elements that appeal to me, and I agree, GW2 seems like one of the strongest contenders....we'll see.

There is nothing wrong with not liking (Theme Park-ish) End Game. Raid dungeons or GvG require some sort of skill plateau in order to provide a stable environment on which to build a long lasting team. Also, most games offer some sort of cosmetic progression (achievements, titles, vanity items) to do once your character reaches its cap.

I don't see how GW2 will change it, but I admit I didn't read much about it as I don't like reading up on a game earlier than 2 weeks before its release.

• DrilDril Member Posts: 107

ArcheAge and TERA are your best upcomig bets; the GW2 "fans" have already made their case, although frankly I wouldn't hold your breath. GW2 hasn't actually been released yet (you wouldn't know it based on the certainty with which people talk about it) but it doesn't look to be shaping up to be the open-world PvP experience you're after. GW1 was all about instanced Guild vs Guild stuff; imagine WoW's arenas but with real balncing more people, and better players. 

At present, there's only really WAR, Aion, AoC and DaoC on the RVR front, along with the obvious Darkfall.

If I might suggest some non-MMOs to tide you over: Mount & Blade: Warband along with MAG (the PS3 game, although PSN is down atm :/) have psuedo-MMO elements and far more skill-based gameplay, and MBW is basically just about one-off sieges in multiplayer.

RIFT was a *crushing* disappointment; a shallow, loveless, generic MMO the likes of which hasn't been seen in a P2P format since, well, forever.

Eagerly awaiting: World of Darkness, ArcheAge.

Thanks for the info guys, you know, I should really give WAR another shot, didn't really play it very long when it launched, might be good for a few months of fun.

ArchAge, definitely on the radar, and I'm sure I'll be trying all the big titles.  I don't mind if they only keep me entertained for a few months, I enjoy the fun I can find these days, but I keep hoping someday I'll really find a game that I've been hoping for.

• NideliaNidelia Member Posts: 43

Darkfall

It has all of those features. :)  Though the movement system is a bit complicated, turn with mouse, walk forward and backward and strafe with wasd keys.

I would have played more, but my RL interfered with my trial. XD

Can we see on the other side? No, but can the other side see us? Maybe, maybe not, guess we won't find out until we're supposed to.

• ltankltank Member UncommonPosts: 293

Thanks for the info guys, you know, I should really give WAR another shot, didn't really play it very long when it launched, might be good for a few months of fun.

ArchAge, definitely on the radar, and I'm sure I'll be trying all the big titles.  I don't mind if they only keep me entertained for a few months, I enjoy the fun I can find these days, but I keep hoping someday I'll really find a game that I've been hoping for.

Well if you do they have a limitless trial for Tier 1 and if you have old characters you want to play on a 2 week trial basis they have a call to arms re-enlistment trial here:

http://www.warhammeronline.com/call_to_arms/re-enlist.php