Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stargate Worlds

ZolgarZolgar Member Posts: 533

I've been watching SG1 again lately in my down time, and it made me curious about this. Now, I don't know about the legal and financial issues that caused this project to close or why, but is there any chance of it being picked up by someone else? Last time I had looked at it, it seemed like there was at least a good bit done with the game.

0118 999 881 999 119 725... 3

Comments

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827

Originally posted by Zolgar

I've been watching SG1 again lately in my down time, and it made me curious about this. Now, I don't know about the legal and financial issues that caused this project to close or why, but is there any chance of it being picked up by someone else? Last time I had looked at it, it seemed like there was at least a good bit done with the game.

I was a huge fan of SG-1 so naturally i register on forum of stargate worlds at first we fans thought they stay true to series but later it seems they focussed on small instanced maps and rediculous combat obvious made for console plus you could run around as SG-1 character ala halo-crisis or one of these games with huge guns and enormous armor. The Asgard they put also cloths on realy stupid looking armor with huge guns and a robot drone. Thats when i left it was not SG-1 i knew and loved. But i almost never saw many visitors on the forums for over 2 years i visit it, only couple of hundred where registered on forum so investors saw project was not realy popular and withdraw there finance?.

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

• CodenakCodenak Member UncommonPosts: 418

I strongly doubt it wil ever re-surface, licence and legal dificulties abound and would make it a possible minefield for any studio that picks it up. SG1 and Atlantis are now old shows, SGU has gone in a different direction, the peak fanbase for a stargate MMO has probably been and gone.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by Evasia

Originally posted by Zolgar

I was a huge fan of SG-1 so naturally i register on forum of stargate worlds at first we fans thought they stay true to series but later it seems they focussed on small instanced maps and rediculous combat obvious made for console

rofl, have you ever seen teh show? newsflash, tbhe majority of teh shows battles are small scale, also when was the last time you saw an asgard soldier? oh ya, never, so please explain how you know how they would look?

also hate to break this to you, but being part shooter and having instanced maps has NOTHING to do with consoles, pc fanboys and there constant whining that anything they dont like  obviousley must be for consoles, since pc gamers all like teh exact same thing and are exactly the same....oh wait thats the exact oppostie of the truth, for a platform thats supposed to be diverse and free its gamers sure are elitist.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353

Stargate Worlds had quite a spectacular pre-release collapse.  That makes it worthy of being as famous for pre-release problems as Duke Nukem Forever.  If you like a good scandal, go read up on Mmoguls.  The short version is that it was as much a Ponzi scheme as a game, and it's unclear how much of a game there ever was.

• supremeaaronsupremeaaron Member UncommonPosts: 189

Originally posted by Quizzical

Stargate Worlds had quite a spectacular pre-release collapse.  That makes it worthy of being as famous for pre-release problems as Duke Nukem Forever.  If you like a good scandal, go read up on Mmoguls.  The short version is that it was as much a Ponzi scheme as a game, and it's unclear how much of a game there ever was.

I would say about 50% or so from what was shown during the beta.

• Xero_ChanceXero_Chance Member Posts: 519

Unlike this game, Duke Nukem Forever is actually coming out. Eventually.

EDIT: Also, SG1 was only good because it had Richard Dean Anderson in it. Sadly, when he stopped playing a main role in that show, it sort of fell apart.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Originally posted by Xero_Chance

Unlike this game, Duke Nukem Forever is actually coming out. Eventually.

EDIT: Also, SG1 was only good because it had Richard Dean Anderson in it. Sadly, when he stopped playing a main role in that show, it sort of fell apart.

Sad to say when syfy tried to change the dynamic of the team, and added whats his name and Claudia black into the mix things went from bad to worse.  When farscape was on kirten and Claudia black were a great mix and played off each other well.  However on SWG the writers lost there way with Falla(Claudia black) maker her a thief and general trash,  and Kriten just did not come across as military, in fact the way his part was wrote made him look inept.   Trying to make Farscape and SWG mix was a bad idea and yes it did eventually kill the show,  Just like that season where Daniel was replaced by whats his face.  Folks were so mad they finally renewed his contract.

To bad that syfy has bad writers and does not know good science fiction when they have it.  I was bummed about swg, Atlantis was bad, Universe had some hope but now were down to the final episodes due to bad writing and decisions made at syfy who want to be more fantasy than science fiction.

OH well sorry syfy got me so upset at Caprica, Universe and other things its not even funny.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

I, unfortunately, got to play in the Alpha of SGW. I say unfortunately because from the getgo the game seemed to be destined to fail. There were graphical elements in the game that gave it a bit of the SG look but when it came to combat....not so much. Plus, some of the early on questing system just left some things to be desired. Yes, it was Alpha and as such much could have changed by the time the could would have launched but that will never be known now.

For the record, I liked ALL the Stargate versions on Sci-Fi (now SyFy) including SG-1 after Dean Anderson, Stargate Atlantis and the now cancelled Stargate Universe.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• ZhirocZhiroc Member UncommonPosts: 220

Originally posted by erictlewis

Sad to say when syfy tried to change the dynamic of the team,...

To bad that syfy has bad writers...

OH well sorry syfy got me so upset at Caprica, Universe and other things its not even funny.

SyFy (the network) had from what I can tell little influence over the Stargate franchise. It is owned by MGM, and the show runners were not from SyFy at all.

I can't be as sure about this with Caprica, as it is a SyFy production of sorts. However, I still think any success or failing (mostly the latter) can be laid at the doorstep of the creators, not the network.

As for getting upset with SyFy for (presumably) cancelling both SGU and Caprica, their ratings were bad and getting worse. SGU's fall season only drew mostly between 1-1.1 million, and Caprica between 800-900K (and that's also where SGU's spring season is sitting). It's unsurprising that both got canceled. SGU is hugely expensive as well.