Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll:Will you buy GW2 and keep another Mo sub?

Comments

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

I base my gaming decisions on how interested I am in a game and how much fun they look like, not on what their payment model is (as long as it doesn't include pay 2 win item shops)

SWTOR is my main, and it would have been whether it was B2P, P2P, or any variation in between, save for, possibly a P2W cash shop, which, of course, won't be happening in SWTOR.

GW2 is B2P, but it could have been a sub game too and I would have paid to play that too.

I'll also be playing TERA, Archage, heading back to DCUO (in 2 months) and also looking forward to FireFall.  I won't even get started on all the SP/Multiplayer games I'm looking forward to as well that will take up my time. 

If a game is fun and can keep my interest, payment model means much less to me.  People can complain that subscription models aren't worth it if they want,  but to me, a good game is worth it.  

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i reserved GW2 already and ill buy it as soon as it launches and i will focus on gw2 only for a while (i tend to jump subs between wow and rift sometimes) while waiting for TSW so yeah, when TSW launches ill play it along with gw2 then bye bye to rift and wow

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697

I'd definitely have to try GW2 before deciding whether to keep my LotRO sub.  I just hope that GW2, LotRO Isengard xpac, SWTOR and Elder Scrolls V all don't release at the same time.  That would be like all your favorite shows on TV being on at the same time (in the days before DVRs and VCRs, when dinosaurs roamed the earth).

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

no. GW2 (along with a few other games including, BF3, LoL and SC2) will comprise my "gaming life". there's not enough time to play everything. SWTOR looks like another PVE grinder, so i dont think i'll even bother with the initial purchase. $50 isnt small money.

GW2 will murder all the existing MMO's so hard that they'll quickly cease to exist. so i will not be continuing WoW and EVE subs either. anything that involves grinding, glaring imbalances, incomplete features, deluded dev teams, etc., are not worth the monthly sub. there isnt a single MMO out right now worth the $15/month, in my opinion.

• Xero_ChanceXero_Chance Member Posts: 519

Originally posted by sonoggi
    no. GW2 (along with a few other games including, BF3, LoL and SC2) will comprise my "gaming life". there's not enough time to play everything. SWTOR looks like another PVE grinder <I'm gonna stop you right there>

I fail to see anything grindy about SWTOR.
    Are you sure you have your facts straight?
    Have you played a Bioware game before?
    Do you know anything about immersive storylines?
    Are you even imaginative enough to be immersed in any storyline at all?

I'm pretty sure when you're playing SWTOR you won't even care what level you are, how much exp you're getting, or even the fact that you're playing an MMO, all you'll care about is preventing the Sith from taking over the galaxy or crushing the Jedi scum.

In no way will it be grindy because you won't be doing the same thing over and over, you will definitely have more variety and choices than you can shake a stick at.

• mafia514mafia514 Member Posts: 148

i will prolly be playing TOR coupled with GW2 but i ll be playing GW2 the most

• z80paranoiaz80paranoia Member Posts: 410

i really dont know for sure
    currently i have no plans to play anything other than free to play and buy to play games

swtor and tsw look interesting
    swtor looks like it might be fun and worthwhile for three months
    tsw looks like it could potentially be fun for about 6 to 8 months

if i am happy with the f2p and b2p offerings when gw2 is out i might not bother with the p2p games

Guild Wars 2 is my religion

• AKASlaphappyAKASlaphappy Member UncommonPosts: 800

I cannot justify for myself paying a subscription to play a game. There are way too many great single player games being made that would only cost me ½ of a yearly subscription, to let me game all year at a cheaper price tag. I will most likely buy GW2 if it lives up to what ANet is describing, and then I will play that with other Buy 2 play games.

I know I want to try TSW, SWTOR, Arche Age, and Tera! But if the only option to play these games is pay to play then I will most likely stop after the free month or trial.

• ArckenArcken Member Posts: 2,431

I will, I see no reason not too, 1 time purchase, no sub, Im sure Ill get my moneys worth out of the initial box cost.

• BaromegaBaromega Member UncommonPosts: 11

I'lll probably just stick with Guild Wars 2. This is the MMO I've been waiting for as long as I can remember, so I plan to fully immerse myself into its world. This would eat up any time I had for other MMOs, and I may even find myself at the cosmetic shop a lot.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I dont know yet. If it turns out to be a great game, then I probably start by playing for a long period and when Im burned out , play other MMO's and return to GW2 in between p2p MMO's. Thats how I kept returning to GW1 too.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Would I ditch my MMO subs for GW2?  Yeah, if I had any.

The MMO genre is stagnant...  none of the P2Ps hold my interest enough to devote much time to.  When I'm bored and want to goof around, I play Guild Wars or Runes of Magic.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

No I would rather stick with EQ2 than buy anything that has NCSOF even associated with it.  There is no way you could pay me to play GW2.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by erictlewis

No I would rather stick with EQ2 than buy anything that has NCSOF even associated with it.  There is no way you could pay me to play GW2.

Okay, your loss.

• OtomoxOtomox Member UncommonPosts: 303

Im gonna first try out gw 2 before i decide anything being b2p doesnt mean i must buy it to play it when swtor or tera are down.

• It all depends on what is out and how the games progress.  For example I just unsubbed from Rift because their inability to change Ground of Strength to be inline with other powers in the game shows they are not particularly competent.  However I might have stayed subbed longer.

I quite possibly may be subbed to GW2 and SWOTOR simultaneously for some time depending on release dates and whether they are any good.

And of course for Global agenda I don't have a sub or pay any money so I always have that option.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

I will sub to Tera and probaly buy Guild Wars 2. Still not totally sold on Guild Wars 2 until I actually try it or get a professional review about the game. I still dont think that Guidl Wars 2 will be on the same level as games like Star Wars and Tera.

• CalibanvovCalibanvov Member UncommonPosts: 192

I will sub SWToR, its just to good to pass up.  Star Wars + Bioware = much hope.

I will also purchase GW2.  It just looks so different from TOR and yet so good. 

Ones Fantasy ones SCI-FI.  Its really a perfect marriage.

• Gardavil2Gardavil2 Member Posts: 394

@ OP, option 4 was a little harsh in my opinion... would have been good to see a number 5 "I have no interest in GW2" option. I voted number 4 as it fit the best.

I don't *hate* GW2, I just do not desire to play it for a few reasons I won't get into in this thread.

I will be sticking with a MMO or two that is already released and I am sub'd to.

I am the Player that wonders... "What the %#*& just happened?!"
    "I Believe... There should be NO financial connection or portals between the Real World and the Virtual in MMOs. "
    __Ever Present Cockroach of the MMO Verses__
    ...scurrying to and fro... .munching on bits of garbage... always under foot...

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786

Originally posted by DarkPony

I will get GW2 but only after Swtor sucked me up, took my soul and spat me out again. How long that will take, I don't know.

edit: with a little luck that is long enough for Anet to implement mounts and dueling in the meantime ;-)

This! image

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

That's a no brainer. Of course I will buy GW2 and keep subbing other games.

• DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

Originally posted by sonoggi
    no. GW2 (along with a few other games including, BF3, LoL and SC2) will comprise my "gaming life". there's not enough time to play everything. SWTOR looks like another PVE grinder, so i dont think i'll even bother with the initial purchase. $50 isnt small money.

GW2 will murder all the existing MMO's so hard that they'll quickly cease to exist. so i will not be continuing WoW and EVE subs either. anything that involves grinding, glaring imbalances, incomplete features, deluded dev teams, etc., are not worth the monthly sub. there isnt a single MMO out right now worth the $15/month, in my opinion.

I agree, except maybe that GW2 actually will be the ruination of other games. It certainly should, but as this thread shows us, many people are brainwashed into thinking sub fees are needed to make a game worth playing. Madness.

And as an aside, I think Xero Chance doth protest too much. I am sure the single player story will be as good as any Bioware title, but I am equally sure the combat will feel as stilted and grindy. It will essentially be a single-player game you can play with a few friends.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

• KyllsynKyllsyn Member UncommonPosts: 110

Honestly, i am, but i think mmo's should always give a trial for the first 5 levels. o_o Kinda like what AION did. AIONs trial system was exactly how a trial should be, or even WoWs trial accont. 

all derp'd out and nowhere to herpaderp.
  • djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Originally posted by Himshim

Honestly, i am, but i think mmo's should always give a trial for the first 5 levels. o_o Kinda like what AION did. AIONs trial system was exactly how a trial should be, or even WoWs trial accont. 

Aion had a trial at release? Almost every mmo has a trial nowadays but only after the game has been released for a bit.

• KyllsynKyllsyn Member UncommonPosts: 110

Originally posted by arenasb

Originally posted by Himshim

Aion had a trial at release? Almost every mmo has a trial nowadays but only after the game has been released for a bit.

Yeah, but not everygame has a trial, MMO's shoudl release a trial on release and only ive you a teaspoon of what you will get in the game, if you understand what im saying. 

all derp'd out and nowhere to herpaderp.