Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mount Equipment Teaser

ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

Certainly some nice features, but I do wonder if the mount equipment system preview was worth all the hype from Henrik. He mentioned that the new mount system would be something revolutionary and innovative, while what I see is standard equipment system adapted to mounts and random stats generator..

Comments

• osmundaosmunda Member Posts: 1,087

While I understand your concern, I'm not aware of  any other game where there is player made barding and shoes with anything like the variability the current armor system has. KInda wierd that you may need to consider the quality of horseshoes you buy in game.

" random stats generator?"  Are you talking about the "genetic variability" in the mount system? If so, it's not strictly random, it's variable within a range determined by the "sire" and "dam".

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Originally posted by osmunda

While I understand your concern, I'm not aware of  any other game where there is player made barding and shoes with anything like the variability the current armor system has. KInda wierd that you may need to consider the quality of horseshoes you buy in game.

" random stats generator?"  Are you talking about the "genetic variability" in the mount system? If so, it's not strictly random, it's variable within a range determined by the "sire" and "dam".

Indeed, it's not a random stats generator for the mounts.  It's a genetic coding that will be inherent in each horse that will determine each animal's stats, which will be passed on by the male and female through breeding.  It will certainly have more variability, and more uniqueness, than any other mount system that I am aware of.

Additionally, as implied with the part on blinders, the mounts will act differently according to their stats.  Given the example they used, mounts will not simply ram themselves into objects or people.  Similarly, not all mounts will have exactly the same strength, meaning different carrying capacities, which will be determined though breeding (not pure random number generation).  Again, these are things that I'm not aware of being in any other game.

Lastly, the dynamic mount system is the precursor to the changes that will eventually occur to all animals in the game.  Over time, this dynamic system will be applied to most or all of them, as I understand it.

As an aside, SV did a short Q&A to go along with the announcement:

Originally Posted by Q&A with Henrik

Q: Currently you can only take out receipts at the place you stabled it at, yet there's a GLOBAL limit of 5 receipts. The question is: is this limit going to be lifted or changed into a local limitation?

A: The limit of 5 receipts is going to be moved to a local limitation, meaning that you can have up to 5 pets in each stable.

Q: Will the mounted combat system see any overhauls for Dawn? For example using Lances or Spears on horseback?

A: The mounted combat system has been rebuilt for Dawn, it will have to aim where you swing, instead of just trying to gauge the distance in between you and your target and swinging at the right time. In terms of using spears, no that will not immediately make it's way into Dawn, but we are looking to add weapons like Lances in the future.

Q: Are there any changes in place for the Dawn expansion that will affect Thievery?

A: We are tweaking thieving slightly, in Dawn if a player is looking directly at someone who is attempting a snoop, or to steal something, it becomes very hard for the thief to actually successfully steal something from an aware player. This means that in order to successfully steal something a thief must now carefully sneak behind a player and make sure he is not noticed.

Q: Is the guard System going to be changed for Dawn in any way?

A: We are changing it to make it harder for people to abuse the system. In Dawn you have to have a criminal player targeted in order for the guards to actually execute the criminal. Screaming out guards no longer will insta-whack someone in the area.

Q: As Dawn focuses on houses a bit, will we also see a better/bigger inventory for the current houses placed?

A: Yes, in Dawn each Tier of the house will add another chest to the house, meaning that a T3 house will be able to hold 3 times more stuff than a T1. At the same time we are adding a new style of houses. To those familiar with how the houses looked like in Beta, they will be slightly similar. The T1 will be small and cheap, and it can be upgraded to either a guild storage, with the price being determined by the size of the guild. Otherwise it can be upgraded to a T2 house that is much larger.

The entire announcement can be found here:

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/61162-mount-equipment-teaser-q-henrik.html

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

Speaking of which, I wonder if the equipment will be player made or not. Would be interesting profession if yes.

True, my bad. Not random, but just stats generator based on heritage.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982

Originally posted by Toferio

Certainly some nice features, but I do wonder if the mount equipment system preview was worth all the hype from Henrik. He mentioned that the new mount system would be something revolutionary and innovative, while what I see is standard equipment system adapted to mounts and random stats generator..

For the record... breeding will  not be in the Dawn patch which is at least a month away.  So breeding is another one of those things we talk about maybe being implemented at some undetermined time in the future... if all goes well.. maybe..

{mod edit}

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• NeoptolemusNeoptolemus Member Posts: 242

I believe Vanguard had player made horseshoes and barding which affected mount speed and chance to be knocked off etc.

The really unique thing is the breeding system, but that hasn't got a release date yet. Its no good sitting on a whiteboard, and SV have a habit of over promising and under delivering

• wmada2kwmada2k Member UncommonPosts: 193

Nice features indeed! I cannot wait to see it live!

• HerculesSASHerculesSAS Member Posts: 1,272

I thought the video was going to be showing the mount system in action, instead of a spinning horse with saddles overlaid on them.

Ah well, I guess we'll see.

Originally posted by HerculesSAS

I thought the video was going to be showing the mount system in action, instead of a spinning horse with saddles overlaid on them.

You weren't alone in that mistaken assumption.  From what they've said, there will likely be more videos coming, including one with video on the mounts, but it might be a little closer to the release of the Dawn expansion, because they are still tweaking the animations.

• Ethereal401Ethereal401 Member Posts: 20
    Originally posted by Rohn

You weren't alone in that mistaken assumption.  From what they've said, there will likely be more videos coming, including one with video on the mounts, but it might be a little closer to the release of the Dawn expansion, because they are still tweaking the animations.

The animator for mortal online is awesome. He's trained as a movie animator so the animations in game are almost movie quality. Mortal online has the best animations I've seen since SWG. Great graphics, great animations, great game...

Originally posted by Ethereal401

Originally posted by Rohn

The animator for mortal online is awesome. He's trained as a movie animator so the animations in game are almost movie quality. Mortal online has the best animations I've seen since SWG. Great graphics, great animations, great game...

Indeed, their animator is very good, and has improved a lot of the animations in the game during the time he's been with SV.

Regarding the animations, until we get another video, Henrik did confirm some of the changes:

Old Today, 10:21

CEO

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artorius View Post

good question

I would also like real jumping animations.

And swimming while we're at it

Ok, I can reveal that, now horses can swim! finally It has its own swim animation, looks cool, but beware of the weight you put on him! And when you turn around your horse it moves in steps, not glide.

Henrik Nystrom is offline Report Post

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/61163-new-teaser-q-2.html#post1136647

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982

This guy is good.  Dawn is looking to be a GREAT expansion!!

I hope next week Henrick allows us to see a video of a horse walking (or something else animated) !

Just 3 more weeks (approximately) to go until we can all experience this groundbreaking expansion and all the additional content it will bring.  Exciting times indeed! image

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018