Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mortal Online Now Available on Direct2Drive

RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

SV announced today that MO is now available from D2D.  The announcement is here:

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/61089-mortal-online-available-d2d.html#post1133194

The announcement gives the link to the EU version of the site, though it's also available on the NA version as well ( http://www.direct2drive.com/10694/product/Buy-Mortal-Online-Download  for $23.95).

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

Comments

• wmada2kwmada2k Member UncommonPosts: 193

Great news!

Will probabely reach out to a market they do not have them selves - more players in! Sweet!

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Originally posted by wmada2k

Great news!

Will probabely reach out to a market they do not have them selves - more players in! Sweet!

It's good to have more options, that's certain.  And, the price is pretty good as well.

The CM was a little cagey with his reply on whether or not they'd be offering the game on Steam as well.  We'll see, I guess.

• rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

This is a good thing for a game that's only available through download.

~Ripper

• wmada2kwmada2k Member UncommonPosts: 193

yes. i hope for Steam as well, lets see what they can get =)

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

I will buy it when it goes on Steam.  I am still holding onto some chance Xsyon may turn out to out to be someting, but currently it is not looking good.  I am already sick of Darkfall after a month and half back into that game (not going to macro to catch up, it's silly).  I cannot stand D2D though.  That site gives me nothing but problems.  Recently over the past few months, every time I have tried buy something, it just gives me errors, telling me my credit card is not valid.  I contacted support once, and unfortunately they told me its an issue with my credit card.  Log into steam, use same card, I am downloading whatever game I want in 30 seconds.   No thanks D2D.  But, this is good news for MO regardless!

Originally posted by Worstluck

I will buy it when it goes on Steam.  I am still holding onto some chance Xsyon may turn out to out to be someting, but currently it is not looking good.  I am already sick of Darkfall after a month and half back into that game (not going to macro to catch up, it's silly).  I cannot stand D2D though.  That site gives me nothing but problems.  Recently over the past few months, every time I have tried buy something, it just gives me errors, telling me my credit card is not valid.  I contacted support once, and unfortunately they told me its an issue with my credit card.  Log into steam, use same card, I am downloading whatever game I want in 30 seconds.   No thanks D2D.  But, this is good news for MO regardless!

I've used both D2D and Steam, and haven't ever had a problem with either, but I understand what you're saying.  I've heard that people have had problems with both of them at times.

Perhaps they'll get it on Steam at some point.

• BetelBetel Member Posts: 365

Originally posted by wmada2k

Great news!

I wonder if they will mention the free trial on the D2D page. Considering how many people bought the game after the trial is over, probably best they don't if they want to make money :)

If people try before they buy, I really doubt there will be more players joining than players leaving. We will know for sure in the next round of financial reports, and if they don't bring in those extra subs there are few areas for cost cutting left.

• osmundaosmunda Member Posts: 1,087

Originally posted by Betel 

I wonder if they will mention the free trial on the D2D page. Considering how many people bought the game after the trial is over, probably best they don't if they want to make money :)

Instead of wondering, you could always go and check....http://www.direct2drive.eu/10694/product/Buy-Mortal-Online-Download

http://www.direct2drive.com/10694/product/Buy-Mortal-Online-Download

I suspect, however, that D2D wouldn't particularly like them to refer people to the free trial since it's on the same page as buying the game directly from Starvault.

• DarkEnergyDarkEnergy Member Posts: 21

Good  for the players... now it's going to easy for some to play this game

Originally posted by osmunda

I suspect, however, that D2D wouldn't particularly like them to refer people to the free trial since it's on the same page as buying the game directly from Starvault.

Like I said, they don't want people to try before they buy do they. The retention rate on players is so low it would kill their sales.

Like I said, they don't want people to try before they buy do they. The retention rate on players is so low it would kill their sales.

I'm unclear on how this is a response to the quote.  My point is D2D offers this service in order to get some percentage of the sales made through D2D.  In light of that, D2D probably doesn't want SV (or any other developer) using the service as a means of advertising other ways of getting the game.

If you compare the two sites: http://www.direct2drive.eu/10694/product/Buy-Mortal-Online-Download vs https://account.mortalonline.com/ you'll notice that the price is exactly .01 Euros cheaper through D2D. D2D probably has several restrictions on using there service (i.e. not offering a game for the same price or less elsewhere, not redirecting customers away from D2D, etc.)

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

not sure whats wrong but it looks like the D2D website is totally messed up.. that link leads you to some kind of list.. but its so badly hidden behind a graphic that its unreadable.. probably a bad link i think.. either that or the website has been hacked ??image

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983

I'm unclear on how this is a response to the quote.  My point is D2D offers this service in order to get some percentage of the sales made through D2D.  In light of that, D2D probably doesn't want SV (or any other developer) using the service as a means of advertising other ways of getting the game.

If you compare the two sites: http://www.direct2drive.eu/10694/product/Buy-Mortal-Online-Download vs https://account.mortalonline.com/ you'll notice that the price is exactly .01 Euros cheaper through D2D. D2D probably has several restrictions on using there service (i.e. not offering a game for the same price or less elsewhere, not redirecting customers away from D2D, etc.)

Selective linkage.

If you compare the NA pricing you will see quite a different picture, and the financials show that NA is now the bulk of sales...

The D2D price is $23.95 (.com not .EU)    http://www.direct2drive.com/10694/product/Buy-Mortal-Online-Download

The direct Starvault price is actually $34.81 which is 45% higher

This is due to the exchange rate.. which is currently sitting at 1.45

Anyone interested in actually purchasing this game after using the trial should absolutely purchase from  http://www.direct2drive.com/10694/product/Buy-Mortal-Online-Download   as it's almost the equivalent of a half-off sale!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

@ Slapshot: Not sure how that invalidates the point I was making. I was noting that they D2D may require that they not offer it for less. The exchange rate takes care of the rest of what you were noting.

Originally posted by Phry

not sure whats wrong but it looks like the D2D website is totally messed up.. that link leads you to some kind of list.. but its so badly hidden behind a graphic that its unreadable.. probably a bad link i think.. either that or the website has been hacked ??image

Perhaps it was a temporary glitch with the website or your browser.  Both sites:

EU: http://www.direct2drive.eu/10694/product/Buy-Mortal-Online-Download

NA: http://www.direct2drive.com/10694/product/Buy-Mortal-Online-Download

appear to be working ok on my computer.  I'm using Firefox, by the way.

• kikinchazkikinchaz Member UncommonPosts: 562

Worth noting too for UK buyers this weekend there's 25% off anything over £15 on D2D UK. That makes MO £15.71

Originally posted by kikinchaz

Worth noting too for UK buyers this weekend there's 25% off anything over £15 on D2D UK. That makes MO £15.71

Nice find!

The NA D2D appears to be running the same 25% discount on their site this weekend (using the "bunny" promo code), which makes the cost $17.96.

Not bad.

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

questions: How populated is this game now? Did they fix the myriad problems I heard about?  Is it worth starting now or would I just be gank-bait?   Please try to keep your love or hate to the game aside while you answer, ty.

Currently bored with MMO's.

Originally posted by ElderRat

questions: How populated is this game now? Did they fix the myriad problems I heard about?  Is it worth starting now or would I just be gank-bait?   Please try to keep your love or hate to the game aside while you answer, ty.

Oddly enough, I just gave my opinion to a similar set of questions in another thread here just a little while ago.

To summarize, they have fixed a great many of the problems with the same since launch, and it's more stable now than it probably ever has been.  The game does still have some bugs, so it's not perfect, and the current UI is pretty functional but ugly.  Also, they haven't added a lot of content since the first three months after launch as they stabilized the new build, but new content will be added with the Dawn expansion.

There's a free trial available, which is probably the best way to find out whether or not you'd like the game, which you can sign up for here.

Other than that, you can read a lot about the current status of the game on the official forums, which is probably the best place to ask questions, read guides, find information, etc.

Hope this helps.

the free trial I did not know about, thanks for the tip and link.

Sure thing - glad to help.

One note, the download from SV can take some time (it seems to vary from person to person).  That's one of the things they are also correcting with the Dawn expansion.  I'd download the game first, then start the trial so you don't end up missing part of a day.

Originally posted by Rohn

Sure thing - glad to help.

One note, the download from SV can take some time (it seems to vary from person to person).  That's one of the things they are also correcting with the Dawn expansion.  I'd download the game first, then start the trial so you don't end up missing part of a day.

downloading but it did not, as of yet, send me the account verification email so I do not know if I can play - and yes checked inbox and junk.

created account.  Downloaded game.  Cannot get into game because it insists my account and/or password is incorrect.  Bad sign.  Filed a support ticket.  If I get no answer within an hour or two I will pass on this game.  Not a good introduction to a game trying to re-establish itself.

To summarize, they have fixed a great many of the problems with the same since launch

So combat now works does it? On the official forums there are plenty of people who would disagree with you.

Do guilds now work? Nope, still broken.

Territory control now work? Nope, even the simple system they tried does not work.

I could go on, and indeed I possibly will, but those are 3 core systems.

and it's more stable now than it probably ever has been. 

So a year after launch they finally get their server sorted so it doesn't crash multiple times a day? That you praise this, just a sign of how bad the development team for this game is.

The game does still have some bugs, so it's not perfect, and the current UI is pretty functional but ugly.  Also, they haven't added a lot of content since the first three months after launch as they stabilized the new build, but new content will be added with the Dawn expansion.

Some bugs? Some? Misunderstatement of the gaming decade. There are very few systems ingame that are not bugged to hell and back.

There's a free trial available, which is probably the best way to find out whether or not you'd like the game, which you can sign up for here.

For the love of god, new players do the trial before buying and judge the game on what it is, not what SV fans say it "might be".

To summarize, they have fixed a great many of the problems with the same since launch

So combat now works does it? On the official forums there are plenty of people who would disagree with you.

Do guilds now work? Nope, still broken.

Territory control now work? Nope, even the simple system they tried does not work.

I could go on, and indeed I possibly will, but those are 3 core systems.

and it's more stable now than it probably ever has been. 

So a year after launch they finally get their server sorted so it doesn't crash multiple times a day? That you praise this, just a sign of how bad the development team for this game is.

The game does still have some bugs, so it's not perfect, and the current UI is pretty functional but ugly.  Also, they haven't added a lot of content since the first three months after launch as they stabilized the new build, but new content will be added with the Dawn expansion.

Some bugs? Some? Misunderstatement of the gaming decade. There are very few systems ingame that are not bugged to hell and back.

For the love of god, new players do the trial before buying and judge the game on what it is, not what SV fans say it "might be".

doing the free trial now. Game seems to have a lot of potential, though it also seems to have an EVE like learning curve.  I like it a lot more than I ever liked Wow.  I will at least play for the 14 days.  I have only seen the unstable server problem so far. It is also less than 24 hours in my experience, so I may find what you are talking about.  Not the greatest game ever, but I needed a new experience because once again LOTRO is boring me..  that's just because of playing it so much.