Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

XCOM

BACONXBACONX Member UncommonPosts: 253

Remember the first UFO XCOM game. Wouldn't it be great if they could device an online game based on that franchise? Just a random thought...

Comments

• salamander13salamander13 Member Posts: 100

of course that would be excellent. An X-com based FPS shooter is in the works right now (being made by the Bioshock people I think) so you never know what may happen if it gains a following again.

• wallet113wallet113 Member Posts: 231

OMG XCOM! I remember playing that a LONG time ago lol. it was a fun game. be nice if they made a updated version of that besides the FPS version.

• Professor78Professor78 Member UncommonPosts: 610

Great games, got the whole set a while back on steam offer.

I feel they did gradually get worse as they went along, the original isometric ones were better -Terror from the deep I think was my favorite.

Core i5 13600KF,  BeQuiet Pure Loop FX 360, 32gb DDR5-6000 XPG, WD SN850 NVMe ,PNY 3090 XLR8, Asus Prime Z790-A, Lian-Li O11 PCMR case (limited ed 1045/2000), 32" LG Ultragear 4k Monitor, Logitech G560 LightSync Sound, Razer Deathadder V2 and Razer Blackwidow V3 Keyboard

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

My paper and pencil D&D group actually converted XCOM into a paper and pencil game, we played on a 6'x6' tabletop hex map with lead minatures we crafted ourselves and painted styrofoam terrain, One of the funnest paper and pencil games I ever played. Just wish as the time I had had the foresight to take the concept we had designed and the rule books we wrote to MicroProse and sell them the idea.

Oh well

• EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367

If players worked as individual contractors or employees of oranisation(side). Instanced game with quest hubs would be logical and then they would go to crash sites and clear those out...

Lot of mechanics which could work as MMORPG...

• sn0wblind00sn0wblind00 Member UncommonPosts: 388

i'd love a good tactics-based combat mmo similar to xcom.  unfortunately only 1 mmo has that approach (somewhat) and it is a poor attempt (yet still very popular?).  Hoping another company gives the type of combat a try, as its much more engaging than the hotbar crap that has flooded the markets the last 5 years.

• keibrnkeibrn Member Posts: 15

xcom!? omg, i love this game. and i totally agree with you. i heard there is a new version of xcom. try searching it in you tube. id really wish they release another sequel for this game.

• EbonHawkEbonHawk Member Posts: 545

hehe...  XCOM was/is a flippin' great game.  Different genre MMO's are a must!

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by wallet113

OMG XCOM! I remember playing that a LONG time ago lol. it was a fun game. be nice if they made a updated version of that besides the FPS version.

They did, I bought it off steam about a year ago,  I think it's called "UFO Afterlife" or something like that.   I'm at work so I can't check my steam account to be sure.

EDIT: here it is  http://www.ufo-afterlight.com/pages/hq.html

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• aargeht10aargeht10 Member Posts: 7

xcom.. hehe, this game reminds me of my high school days where my computer was still running lower power pentium processors. before i hated this game because of its poor graphics, but then my friend forced me to play the try it for one night. i never would have thought that i will end up liking this game a lot.

one the most interesting things i like about this game is that you will be able to recover things after the battle and have it researched back in the laboratory. also the budget you will a lot for the project and team equipments. now imagine how great this game could be if they will develop another sequel now. hahaha, really exciting.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Been digging around these semi-old posts.  I saw there were some like-minded X-Com fans like myself.  If you never played them, you missed out on some awesome squad / turn-based tactical games that any platform has yet to surpass.

I know Steam (which I do have gripes with) offers the X-Com series package for cheap, and it does have with it DOXbox to make it run in newer OS's (I know X-Com Apocalypse has it with Steam).

There is also a free, downloadable fanmade game inspired by the X-Com series that I've been playing for a while now.  It's not 100% complete but is playable.  I suggest checking out UFO: Alien Invasion.

Some of the X-Com style games that I tried:

UFO Afterlight - Played this years ago and barely have any memory of it, but a huge turnoff for me was that the buildings in the tactical map were just there for decoration.  You can't enter them nor receive / deliver fire from them.  Maps were also pretty flat I recall.

UFO Extraterrestrials - Tried this years ago also.  From a different dev team than UFO Afterlight.  You could have vehicles in the tactical game, a throwback to the original X-Com (even X-Com Apocalpyse didn't have vehicles in the tactical map).  But the tactical maps had very little in the way of elevation.  Way to flat for terrain, IMO.

I guess I was spoiled by the X-Com series' tactical maps.  I really did like X-Com Apocalypse's tactical maps.  Up to 8 stories / levels of elevation.  Greatly varied terrain:  Crash sites, dense or light urban neighborhoods, industrial areas, office complexes, malls, stadiums, etc.  Short and long ranges, you gotta prepare your troops appropriately.  Nothing like doing a raid in an infested neighborhood, finding the aliens and their sympathizers holed up in a large, 8 story apartment building, and sending my troops to clear it out (with destructible terrain and walls... yay!).  Or I just send my flight suited troopers to fire / lob incendiaries on every level and have my troops on overwatch at the exits.  Shoot anything that ran out to escape the fires.  Once the fires died down, send in guys to kill off anything that didn't get burned.  The city could foot me the bill for damages afterwards.

Originally posted by aargeht10

xcom.. hehe, this game reminds me of my high school days where my computer was still running lower power pentium processors. before i hated this game because of its poor graphics, but then my friend forced me to play the try it for one night. i never would have thought that i will end up liking this game a lot.

one the most interesting things i like about this game is that you will be able to recover things after the battle and have it researched back in the laboratory. also the budget you will a lot for the project and team equipments. now imagine how great this game could be if they will develop another sequel now. hahaha, really exciting.

Yeah, imagine what they can do with today's technology and adding onto the gameplay of that classic franchise.

The fans have been waiting for a proper sequel, but I believe that the FPS that's being done now for the franchise isn't exactly what's on mind.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Originally posted by BACONX

Remember the first UFO XCOM game. Wouldn't it be great if they could device an online game based on that franchise? Just a random thought...

As long as they had most of the elements that made XCOM a great series and could translate it into a MMO without sacrificing the difficulty and depth those games had to cater to bad players and the instant gratification crowds I would jump on it..

• twodayslatetwodayslate Member Posts: 724

I want to be a hovertank!

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

That FPS abomination being worked on by the HACKS over at 2K Marin is not X-COM. It's a disgusting attempt at a cash-in using an old and much beloved franchise name, that's all.

I will never in my life buy another game developed by those people, due to what they have done. And I hope they all catch a nasty cold or something else unpleasant.  image

2K Marin did Bioshock 2, not 1, for those who don't know.