Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is life an endless grind like mmorpg's?

lunatislunatis Member UncommonPosts: 261

WOW:

1. Kill 10 orcs for gold.

2. Use the gold to repair and upgrade your sword.

3. Go back to step 1.

REALITY:

1. Go to work for money.

2. Use the money to put gaz in the car and repair it & pay for the parking infractions.

3. Go back to step 1.

Comments

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

of course.

Thats why mmorpgs are any easy reality to accept.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• twodayslatetwodayslate Member Posts: 724

Go do a ten man raid on a bank, get on your flying mount and go to the Caribbean, spend the rest of your life farming umbrellas out of shot glasses.  Then threaten to turn the place into the tourism board if they put too much salt on your margarita.

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

It can be even more so irl. Lets say you sleep 8 hours a night every night and work 8.5 hours a day every day and are lucky enough to only have a 30 min commute. (i have a 45) That's 17.5 hours a day not doing fun stuff. so you  get 6.5 hours a day to do fun crap during the week plus the 32 over the weekend. That comes to 64.5 hours a week to do awesome stuff you really love and there are 168 hours in a week. So that comes to 38% of your time irl doing fun crap.

I spend about 75-85% of my time in MMOs doing fun crap that I like so that's easily half as grindy as real life.

Mind you I forgot to mention all the other crap like house chores, cooking, and shopping. So that 38% could possibly be more like 25-30% and when you finally have kids it's probably more like 5-10% (if you're lucky).

Dang now I'm depressed.

• CytheriaCytheria Member Posts: 2

For many people, life is an endless grind OF mmorpgs.

• knightauditknightaudit Member UncommonPosts: 389

I think you missed the part about the reputation grind with the oposite faction (Males or Females) to get friendly with them. And yes turning in Jewlery and trinkets does give you a reputation boost.

LOL

• LawlieLawlie Member Posts: 49

Sure feels like it sometimes, im still waiting for that mmorpg that breaks away from all the required grinding you see in todays games... sure you dont HAVE to grind.. but you dont really get anywhere in the game when you dont...

I still miss the days in Ultima online when we made our own fun    *sigh* those were the days

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

They can be, with a few exceptions. 

The two games that do not follow that trend IMO is EvE and L2 back in it's early days.  But those two games have player driven content and the rest do not.

~ odd how pvp fills that role ;) ~

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

Originally posted by Lawlie

Sure feels like it sometimes, im still waiting for that mmorpg that breaks away from all the required grinding you see in todays games... sure you dont HAVE to grind.. but you dont really get anywhere in the game when you dont...

I still miss the days in Ultima online when we made our own fun    *sigh* those were the days

Developers do not call it grinding.

They call it "Retaining Subscriptions" Lol.

And I feel the same as you do on the UO front, I miss it but i also don't.

If some of the good concepts of modern Sandbox MMO's could be applied alongside the great community building mechanics (basically you were forced into it) of games like UO there would be some fairly strong MMO's around. Without a good community and good way to foster it (help players get to know one another)  I find modern MMO's wither and die due to player boredom. In Older MMO's it was a strong community that helped sustain a healthy player base.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Lets see how much SWTOR will manage to break the grind.

The most recent interview with Ericsson sounded like he estimate every character gets about 150 to 200 hours class story.

As there are 8 starter classes (they branch into 16 advanced classes later, but there is only one story per starter class), one gets over 1000 hours of story content (plus there is also some story content outside of the class story, to be explored with groups).

Not bad. Not bad at all.

Of course for me thats ... kinda pointless. I have a 2 months limit on playing singleplayer games. After 2 months of playing ANY singleplayer game, I'm stuffed and need  And playing the class story practically IS a singleplayer game.

So yeah, the special thing about MMOs is the social aspect. Thanks to the social aspect, I have no issue playing a MMO for years.

Fortunately you apparently can play the class stories with a group, too.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by lunatis

WOW:

1. Kill 10 orcs for gold.

2. Use the gold to repair and upgrade your sword.

3. Go back to step 1.

REALITY:

1. Go to work for money.

2. Use the money to put gaz in the car and repair it & pay for the parking infractions.

3. Go back to step 1.

I got rid of my car and pretty much cut out the stuff I don't want but costs money and spend money (mostly) on stuff I do want. Except for rent no way out of that. But I pay a rather cheap rent for my area. Otherwise you are right one can get into that rut of keeping up with the the guy next door.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Yes, OP, in French it's called: "Métro, boulot, dodo" it, trips off the tongue said that way. In  a lot of countries the grind is persistent and item collection... the only means of progression in society and the cycle of sinking gold in higher levels, makes mmos seem like the purpose is BEGINNING -> END but sandbox mmos say the purpose is what you are doing now, it's just if that is enough progression or not for you?

• kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

As someone who has lived for 65 years (so far). I can say that life is a grind but it is not endless.  :)

As my father used to say "Life is a bitch, then you die"

• JB47394JB47394 Member Posts: 409

Life is an endless grind if that's what you choose to make of it.

Those who embrace new things, new people, new situations and challenge themselves to grow will laugh at the idea that life is a grind.  In developed countries in particular, the opportunities available to you are so vast that to call life a grind is to slap the face of everyone who ever sacrificed to give you those opportunities.  What a joke.

Get off your backside and go learn something new.  Train yourself in a new skill.  Create something.  Do something for someone else.  Meet new people.  Develop your understanding of the world.  Dance.  Sing.  Laugh.

• GarkanGarkan Member Posts: 552

Not for me its not because I live my life the same as I do in EVE and I take peoples stuff by force, in between punching babies and kicking puppies of course.

In all seriousness you can avoid living RL like a grind by trying to get a career in which you can job satisfaction and if you enjoy your work it makes things a little bit easier, you still have all the usual issues like bills and relationship problems and family fall outs or horrible kids over the years but at least you wont dread having to go into work each time.

Currently playing:

EVE online (Ruining low sec one hotdrop at a time)

Gravity Rush,
    Dishonoured: The Knife of Dunwall.

(Waiting for) Metro: Last Light,
    Company of Heroes II.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by lunatis

REALITY:

1. Go to work for money.

3. Go back to step 1.

If thats all your life is you must live one sad pathetic existance.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• lunatislunatis Member UncommonPosts: 261

Originally posted by JB47394

Get off your backside and go learn something new.  Train yourself in a new skill.  Create something.  Do something for someone else.  Meet new people.  Develop your understanding of the world.  Dance.  Sing.  Laugh.

Sorry my quest journal is full.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Originally posted by knightaudit

I think you missed the part about the reputation grind with the oposite faction (Males or Females) to get friendly with them. And yes turning in Jewlery and trinkets does give you a reputation boost.

LOL

This ==LOL +10 Internet Points

Philosophy of MMO Game Design