Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Possibly the best free MMO I've ever played.

IsseyIssey Member Posts: 12

Possibly the best free MMO I've ever played. This game has all the assets a good MMO needs, you can easily find enemies. But if you're almost dead or just don't want to deal with your enemy's just press the SPACEBAR and you wont be attacked. But there's also general community items, skills, and features such as the musical instruments like the ukulele. The music is a great way to communicate you can compare music or even if you write your own music you can put that on the game. You can just sit down with a bunch of your friends and have a campfire. There is many skills to get. Unlike many other MMO's you don't choose a type of character (Warrior, Mage etc.) you edit your character as you play. You can just stack up on combat moves, or you can make your character have the best of the magic or even make healer with decent attacks.

Comments

• HoobleyHoobley Member Posts: 421
    Originally posted by Issey

Possibly the best free MMO I've ever played. This game has all the assets a good MMO needs, you can easily find enemies. But if you're almost dead or just don't want to deal with your enemy's just press the SPACEBAR and you wont be attacked. But there's also general community items, skills, and features such as the musical instruments like the ukulele. The music is a great way to communicate you can compare music or even if you write your own music you can put that on the game. You can just sit down with a bunch of your friends and have a campfire. There is many skills to get. Unlike many other MMO's you don't choose a type of character (Warrior, Mage etc.) you edit your character as you play. You can just stack up on combat moves, or you can make your character have the best of the magic or even make healer with decent attacks.

Each to their own I guess, but it doesn't sound very good to me. Especially the part about hitting the spacebar if 'you're almost dead'...

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942
    Originally posted by Hoobley

Each to their own I guess, but it doesn't sound very good to me. Especially the part about hitting the spacebar if 'you're almost dead'...

im sure a "Corndog" doesn't sound good to someone whos never had it before.

Originally posted by aleos

im sure a "Corndog" doesn't sound good to someone whos never had it before.

I've never had a 'Corndog' and having looked it up it does sound pretty awful.

From WikiPedia: "The corn dog is a hotdog coated in batter and deep fried in oil"

Sounds like a heart attack waiting to happen.

just eat it!

just eat it!

Nuh uh.

just eat it!

Nuh uh.

you can eat a corndog and play mabinogi and have 2x the fun while having a heart attack...itll be the best heartattack ever

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

I've been playing for about a year and I don't recall the "spacebar" thing to be dropping aggro....I really don't remember anything about that part so OP might have eaten the wrong mushroom. The rest of OPs post is somewhat accurate.

Mabinogi is somewhat of a "skill-based" sandbox MMORPG. By skill-based I mean that you have to time your skills and also predict your opponents next attack. It's not just a point&click 1,2,3,4,2,3,1 game, you actually have to charge your skills before you can use them and monsters can easily kill you in 2-3 hits if you're not carefull enough.

And I don't think I'm wrong to say that Mabinogi is an "AAA" title even though it's not very well-known on this website, it does have about 2 million players I believe (across the world). Definitively on a different level from other F2P games.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

Tried this game because everyone says the combat system is so awesome. Felt generic, and boring. Everything costed money, while making a character you get like 3 hair styles that don't cost money out of like 30. But if you enjoy it, keep playin it. Helps all games stay alive.

• patrikd23patrikd23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,155

Yeah lol, 5 posts and you write this about the game. I got a feeling this is more like advertising and not the real deal.

Originally posted by Panther2103

Tried this game because everyone says the combat system is so awesome. Felt generic, and boring. Everything costed money, while making a character you get like 3 hair styles that don't cost money out of like 30. But if you enjoy it, keep playin it. Helps all games stay alive.

Sad you didn't like the game. But your complain regarding "everything cost money" is false. Not only does Mabinogi allow you to play the entire game without paying a dime (this is entirely true) but it only sells game enhancing items and fluff (Game Enhancing item is usually pets or mounts).

As for the "3 hair styles", a normal player can choose upon character creation 4 different type of mouth, 5 different eye style (+color) and 8 different hair style (+color). This is for Humans, both Elves and Giants have similar options. The "Premium Card" though gives you access to 26 mouth styles, 37 eye styles (+color), 50 hair styles (+color).

It's fluff, you don't need it to play. BUT, the Premium Card can allow you to change your current character's appearence through Rebirth* for $9.50, it's permanent though you may buy a new Premium Card and change your appearence again. There is no other bonus to this aside from your character look.

*Rebirth system in Mabinogi does not reset your skills, instead, rebirth allows you to start over from level 1, keep all your skills and gain more Skill Points to increase your skills. Rebirth Option is free for all players whenever your character reaches the age of 20. (character age by 1 year every week and you can make a 17 years old character, meaning that you can rebirth every 3 weeks). You may rebirth once a week with a Cash Shop card.

""Always trust the words of a madman..."

MadnessRealm you seem far more informed about this game than the OP and make it sound a lot more appealing.

""Always trust the words of a madman..."

MadnessRealm you seem far more informed about this game than the OP and make it sound a lot more appealing.

Well I have been playing for over a year already so yes I am most likely  more informed than the OP :þ

• AlysenMinaseAlysenMinase Member Posts: 361
    Originally posted by MadnessRealm

I've been playing for about a year and I don't recall the "spacebar" thing to be dropping aggro....I really don't remember anything about that part so OP might have eaten the wrong mushroom. The rest of OPs post is somewhat accurate.

Mabinogi is somewhat of a "skill-based" sandbox MMORPG. By skill-based I mean that you have to time your skills and also predict your opponents next attack. It's not just a point&click 1,2,3,4,2,3,1 game, you actually have to charge your skills before you can use them and monsters can easily kill you in 2-3 hits if you're not carefull enough.

And I don't think I'm wrong to say that Mabinogi is an "AAA" title even though it's not very well-known on this website, it does have about 2 million players I believe (across the world). Definitively on a different level from other F2P games.

When you press Spacebar, you go into Combat Mode or out of it. When your in Combat Mode, you take an agressive stance and most enemies will agro. Outside Combat Mode most won't, but the big ones still attack you.

And I agree with OP. I've played lots of F2P MMO's, and Mabinogi is my favorite. It is unique in a good way.

Playing - EVE, Wurm

Retired - Final Fantasy XI, Anarchy Online, Mabinogi

Waiting - ArcheAge, Salem

Originally posted by AlysenMinase

When you press Spacebar, you go into Combat Mode or out of it. When your in Combat Mode, you take an agressive stance and most enemies will agro. Outside Combat Mode most won't, but the big ones still attack you.
    And I agree with OP. I've played lots of F2P MMO's, and Mabinogi is my favorite. It is unique in a good way.

Yeah I know that part. But the OP made is sound as if "monsters will drop aggro when you press space" which is false.

• DragoshanDragoshan Member UncommonPosts: 36

Does the game have PvP as well or is it PvE only? If its has PvP as well I'm gonna try it for sure, sounds interesting.

• project8sixproject8six Member Posts: 271

yes there is pvp. they have mini games like capture the flag, duels and probably some zones for pvp i don't know about because it doesn't intrest me in character builder games. but there is no end level, along with rebirthing(brings you back to lvl 0) ppl have character with "tot lvl" 2000+ and that was back when i played. This game is lots of fun. pretty social as well.

die. <3

• Of course opinions will vary wildly with a few just because some like to stir the pot but after 20 years of mmo's Mabi is one of the most interesting I've ever played. My main complaints:

1. Since it's free you get a much younger crowd which brings all the perks many of which you might expect.

2. I't s a sloppily programmed game at times with windows opening on top of each other, global messages streaming across the screen and a myriad of trashy bugs.

3. It's a very status oriented game. Your levels don't show but your equipment says alot about you either by how others view your experience level and/or money spent to acquire rare items.

4. There tends to be a wide gap between the have-nots and the haves when it comes to relative wealth.

5. Cheating is farily common (or modding as many like to call it in an attempt to make it cool sounding).

6. If you don't spend some money you will have to make your way without a pet which can be a great time-saver in traveling.

7. If you don't find a way to fit into the crowd and make friends quite a bit of the content will be out of reach for you for a very long time.

8. Real money in the game comes from spending real money gambling for random items that you can then sell for lots of cash. Or by purchasing staples like dyes and such and then reselling them.

Overall, the good stuff outweigs the bad by quite a bit in my opinion and I mostly keep to myself and solo. I've spent a small amount of money compared to the monthly fees I have put away over the years. If you go the free way just don't be in a hurry to reach a point in the game where you feel accomplished.

• FeverfewFeverfew Member Posts: 120

The whole mention of the "spacebar" was an honest mistake >.<

You can enter or exit combat mode by pressing the spacebar, but I've never seen it make monsters stop attacking xD

That would be crazy....the NPCs *did* mention something like that, but if it works at all, it works on things like raccoons that brand new newbies would be fighting....

What is true is that a lot of animal type enemies that can be found in fields will aggro you very quickly if you're standing around in combat mode(looking like you want to pick a fight) and they're much less likely to if you're not in combat mode....but they won't stop attacking you if you leave combat mode >.<

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Possibly the best free MMO I've ever played.

I'm not going to go there, other than to say that in my opinion, this game is absolutely NOT, not even close to being the best free MMO I've ever played, ever.

Thanks.