Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Not-So-Bold predictions and a question

QazzQazz Member Posts: 577

I've stated elsewhere that I can't wait to hear about when ArcheAge might come to NA.  I've enjoyed Eastern games and this looks like it might be the best yet!

I'll be following this forum over the next several months. As more is revealed about this game, I have decided to make some predictions regarding the content of these forums.

My not-so-bold predictions of the ArcheAge forum for the next few months/years:

Threads will be flooded with the following topics:

People will post...

1. ... and complain about lack of PvE content since many in the NA consider housing/farming/crafting/gathering etc as side dishes to the real meal, which is dungeons/raids/pvp.

2. ...saying that it's too grindy since mmo's don't really start until level cap (amirite?) (OMG! There aren't enough quests! Lazy developers! It's another Asian grinder! QQQQ - you know this complaint is coming!)

3....and complain incessantly about the PvP: it's too imbalanced (cookie-cutter), it's too hardcore (favors people who have no life) or too carebear (favors people who could care less about being 'Pro'). Full looting? No looting? Partial looting? Alot of folks will be unhappy no matter what they end up doing.

4. ...saying that the economy favors gold farmers/botters etc. (Mat's cost how much?!?!? This game is just full of gold sinks!!!)

5. ... that It's a beautiful game with less than ideal movement and repetitive/uninteresting combat.

6. ... about how why they still can't find a good sandbox game and that XLGames sold out to get WoW money.

These are just a few predictions off the top of my head.  

-------

My question is this: shold we even try to convince western gamers that ArcheAge is more "Western" than other Eastern game or should we not even try?

Comments

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

Haha love it I agree with you 100%. It's like that with everygame to be honest though. The whole "You can't make everyone happy because if you did it wouldn't make me happy" kind of issues with MMOs.

As far as your question goes, I'm not even going to bother, it will never work. People said that Aion was too asian even though it has progression that is typical of western games. I hate traveling from one quest hub to another following the breadcrumbs of leveling, this ruins games for me. The fact of the matter is as soon as people find it's make from an asian developer they have preconceived issues about the game and changing their mind is impossible. They will assume it's a grind whether it is or not, they will assume it's anime influenced, they will assume it has not lore, they will assume it will be full of bots and rmt. Granted any of those things could happen but they will say assume it whether they have or not.

• RelytDnegelRelytDnegel Member UncommonPosts: 261

Well put. You can't please all of the people all of the time. Aslong as it pleases me..... ;) 

• XebiozXebioz Member Posts: 19

I agree wholehearteldy. Some people seem to think that MMO's should be tailored to their, and only their needs (NO SANDBOX'Z PLOX) because the market apparently lacks WoW clones...

We need a real fantasy sandbox and this seems to be the most promising one at the moment.

• ZoulzZoulz Member Posts: 477

Originally posted by Xebioz

I agree wholehearteldy. Some people seem to think that MMO's should be tailored to their, and only their needs (NO SANDBOX'Z PLOX) because the market apparently lacks WoW clones...

Tailored to their need? You mean they should instead be tailored to your need? Why is your needs more important than anyone elses? Like any market, the demand drives it. Sandboxes will not become mainstream until the people demand it. Period.

• QazzQazz Member Posts: 577

Originally posted by Zoulz

Tailored to their need? You mean they should instead be tailored to your need? Why is your needs more important than anyone elses? Like any market, the demand drives it. Sandboxes will not become mainstream until the people demand it. Period.

These forums will be stained with the tears of those who's sandbox dreams will be shattered.  We are too quick to see a game as 'we are' instead of how it actually is.  This is not because the game won't be a sandbox, but because the hype and expectations are so monumental that no game could ever meet them.

• chiksochikso Member Posts: 150

Originally posted by Zoulz

What he is trying to say is (I guess) that people will complain about things they don't like or features they don't like (which are not necessarily a mistake) that you can find in almost every other game. An example would be to look at some recent topics for GW2, some people seem to be bitching for the lack of trinity; meanwhile there are hundreds of other games that revolve around it but you will still see people hatin to the one game that doesn't.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Those predictions would be fairly accurate IF this was just a sandbox or just a themepark.  However, it is a combination of the 2 (FINALLY, about time!), a themepark/sandbox hybrid, and I think this alone will change the playing field.  It should appeal to both types of players.

Certain things are dependant on certain factors as well.  For example.  Grind.  Grind is usually only complained about when 2 things happen

a.  combat is boring or not fast enough or doesn't flow right making it seem tedious.  thereby making killing mobs a grind.

b.  not enough rewards while questing/killing/leveling to make you not think about your levels.  In other words, again, if someone levels 5 times and doesn't recieve any type of progression other than a stat gain, most people will gripe.  However, if one gets items, skills, or other things during the process and at the correct intervals, the "grind" is un noticeable.

I give you Aion and Lineage as prime examples of how grind in the 2 instances above is percieved.  Aion refers to A while Lineage refers to B

Granted, that's a small portion of the game, but one that stood out to me personally as their major negatives.  Some may not agree, but some will.

As long as I'm busy and having fun, any type of Grind won't be on my mind.  That's how became so successful.  It hid the grind under rewards and fun combat. (sure it's old now, but it was a blast of fresh air 6 years ago)

The other thing about PVE and the whole "there's no raids/dungeons/etc" I think that's only been the general consensus of late due to WoW and nothing changing that endgame play since then.  I think if a game offers enough alternative endgame modes that are fun, then this attitude will change.  We just need a developer to take that risk.  Hence, ArcheAge.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

Originally posted by Qazz

I've stated elsewhere that I can't wait to hear about when ArcheAge might come to NA.  I've enjoyed Eastern games and this looks like it might be the best yet!

I'll be following this forum over the next several months. As more is revealed about this game, I have decided to make some predictions regarding the content of these forums.

People will post...

1. ... and complain about lack of PvE content since many in the NA consider housing/farming/crafting/gathering etc as side dishes to the real meal, which is dungeons/raids/pvp.

2. ...saying that it's too grindy since mmo's don't really start until level cap (amirite?) (OMG! There aren't enough quests! Lazy developers! It's another Asian grinder! QQQQ - you know this complaint is coming!)

Stupidest excuse for a game with lack of/crappy/boring content. <-- I'm not referring to AA, just the term "MMOs don't start till level cap" is made of bullshit.

3....and complain incessantly about the PvP: it's too imbalanced (cookie-cutter), it's too hardcore (favors people who have no life) or too carebear (favors people who could care less about being 'Pro'). Full looting? No looting? Partial looting? Alot of folks will be unhappy no matter what they end up doing.

4. ...saying that the economy favors gold farmers/botters etc. (Mat's cost how much?!?!? This game is just full of gold sinks!!!)

5. ... that It's a beautiful game with less than ideal movement and repetitive/uninteresting combat.

6. ... about how why they still can't find a good sandbox game and that XLGames sold out to get WoW money.

-------

My question is this: shold we even try to convince western gamers that ArcheAge is more "Western" than other Eastern game or should we not even try?

People have different tastes and people WILL always talk so leave it.

This is not a game.

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605

Originally posted by Zeroxin

Originally posted by Qazz

People will post...

Stupidest excuse for a game with lack of/crappy/boring content. <-- I'm not referring to AA, just the term "MMOs don't start till level cap" is made of bullshit.

-------

People have different tastes and people WILL always talk so leave it.

....basically, RAILS

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• EphimeroEphimero Member Posts: 1,860

Originally posted by elocke

Those predictions would be fairly accurate IF this was just a sandbox or just a themepark.  However, it is a combination of the 2 (FINALLY, about time!), a themepark/sandbox hybrid, and I think this alone will change the playing field.  It should appeal to both types of players.

Certain things are dependant on certain factors as well.  For example.  Grind.  Grind is usually only complained about when 2 things happen

a.  combat is boring or not fast enough or doesn't flow right making it seem tedious.  thereby making killing mobs a grind.

b.  not enough rewards while questing/killing/leveling to make you not think about your levels.  In other words, again, if someone levels 5 times and doesn't recieve any type of progression other than a stat gain, most people will gripe.  However, if one gets items, skills, or other things during the process and at the correct intervals, the "grind" is un noticeable.

I give you Aion and Lineage as prime examples of how grind in the 2 instances above is percieved.  Aion refers to A while Lineage refers to B

Granted, that's a small portion of the game, but one that stood out to me personally as their major negatives.  Some may not agree, but some will.

As long as I'm busy and having fun, any type of Grind won't be on my mind.  That's how became so successful.  It hid the grind under rewards and fun combat. (sure it's old now, but it was a blast of fresh air 6 years ago)

The other thing about PVE and the whole "there's no raids/dungeons/etc" I think that's only been the general consensus of late due to WoW and nothing changing that endgame play since then.  I think if a game offers enough alternative endgame modes that are fun, then this attitude will change.  We just need a developer to take that risk.  Hence, ArcheAge.

I think there's another factor to the grind perception, in fact, in many games i'd argue that the only one that matters: People's ego.

If everyone played the same ammount of time/as effectively as the rest, grind complains would be reduced to 0. People's ego are the reason gold selling companies exist, people's ego is the only reason some games are perceived as grinders.

Grind is completely necessary in MMORPGs for a casual interaction of players. Imagine a game like L2 without grind: Most of the game's features revolve around that grind, the conflict was created through parties clashing for good grind spots, politics were shaped through area control. Those who expect archeage to have no grind are in for a dissapointment, the question is which degree of importance will the devs give to time investment, if players feel they are "almost there" regardless of the ammount of hours they play, people will not feel this is a grinder, so they have to reward the grind, they have to reward the hardcore, but only for a slight bonus. Make them look for an edge, but dont let that edge define battles outcome.

• stringboistringboi Member UncommonPosts: 394

In all honesty...why even bother following what others say.  If it interests you enough...you follow it and make your own decision.  I never let anyone influence me no matter how bad ppl put it down, or how much hype there is.  The list of predictions you posted has been pretty much the norm.  And if you like it enough...your still gonna buy it.  Maybe not right away, but it will eat at you till you do. 

My prediction will be the same as its been in the past:  Who The F*** Cares!