Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I gave it a 3 month Try

So,  being the MMO lover that I am,  still finding myself picking up a Comic from time to time ( I turned my young son into a Batman Reader )  Dark Knight Series my favorite, wish they would publish for my Color Nook, but I digress.  I purchased Legacy Pricing, because I was sure SOE would make a great MMO title.  I'm comming from EQ, EQ2 and SWG, and even though many of you dont care for SWG, Ive kept my account active for these past 7 years, because I like portions ( SPACE, player houseing ).

I purchased DC Universe, having not seen it in action, in beta etc.   HUGE mistake.  I didnt realise the User Interface was the same as a CONSOLE game.  The Chat was not user friendly. And the fact that I was told in the DC Forums that I needed to play the game using a CONTROLLER.  I only ever pick up a controller to play Halo, Crysis. Not in an MMO.  In an MMO, I want to click on a person, and send them a tell. I want to type /zone, Area, etc to speak with others in zone. 

The combat in DCUO is pretty great, even though you only have one bar, and can't put you damn Soda in the slot that you want, and you attack a barrel or fire hydrant instead of the target you want to hit.  And again, when you say something in the DC forums, your told to,  " Learn to Play" , " This isnt your old man MMO", and  "If you don't like it, just leave, Canz I has yor Stuff"

Im an MMO fan, haven't played many that I didnt like at least something ( Even subed RF Online for a time) .  And I don't think theres such a thing as a bad MMO, everyone likes something different.  However, that being said, I will never purchase another 3 month sub for a game I was stupid and did'nt read up on first.  DC Universe Online is a CONSOLE game that wants to be an MMO.  And for the life of me, I do not understand why SOE would make PC users adhere to a console style UI, when they dont even play on the same servers

As I said before, I don't think there is a bad MMO, all of us are looking for something different in a pastime. Hoewever, if you are an MMO player and have thought about picking up DCUO while you wait for another MMO to go live. Theres a few things you should kow bout this MMO, before you plop down the cash for the game and for the LEgacy pricing, or even god forbid, a lifetime sub.

1. The UI is not user friendly, unless you plan on using a Controller.

2. The character creation portion is very lackluster, if you are used to game like Star Trek Online, SWG, Champions or  City of Heros.

2. The chat system, even though they just updated it, is still not good if you like to chat with folks.

3.  The community in the DC forums don't tend to be very helpful when it comes to any changes you would like to see.

5. And, except for possibly 2 servers, the rest are barren to a point that if you crete a new toon on one of these 2 servers, you are mostly alone brecause the folks that are already on the server have long ago moved to higher level stuff. Why play an MMO alone? You might as well break out Batman: Arkym Asylum.

These are just my opinions, and you know what they say about opinions.

MorBlade

Comments

• AzusaNakanoAzusaNakano Member Posts: 19

I wish I loved DC Universe Online, but instead I just like it. It's got a lot going for it -- a great license, some superb voice actors, a lot of well-crafted settings, fast action-based combat, and an entire market of people who, so far, have barely been exposed to the MMO genre. It's an important game for MMO developers who for years have been claiming that their title will be multiplatform, only to let that claim sink quietly into obscurity in the months after it is released on the PC. The fact that Sony Online Entertainment has launched an MMO on the PS3, especially in unison with the PC version, is impressive. DCUO is far from a bad game; there are indeed times when it shines fantastically with the potential for greatness, but its many faults, most minor but some quite large, ensure that it never reaches those heights.

• SpytedSpyted Member Posts: 108

I still maintain that the overall experience of DCUO is one of the very best you get from any mmo, but I understand the points you make.

The UI isn't bad but its really aimed at a controller. Play with a controller and the combat system becomes even more responsive and involving so its win win with the right equipment but obviously a traditional mmo player will not take that lightly.

The character creation is not in the league of CoH or CO or STO BUT it is streets ahead of pretty much anything else and more importantly your avatar will still imo look better than anything those games can deliver - I also think the games lag free play is benefitiing greatly from this measured feature.

The chat system is not that difficult but any game that is interactive and responsive at a combat level is going to make chat more pointed and instanced - the traditional click and ait for animation to play is the perfect oppertunity to ramble on chatting to a friend but its disconnected and univolving in real game terms....this is a trade off and boils down to what you want out of the game more involvement or more chatter. DCUO gives you the choice to stand and chat like any other game, but functionally you need to go to voice or just wait for a break in the action when on a mision.

I agree the community is a mixed bag, I had hoped it would have evolved faster than seems to be the case, but get a good league and make a few friends and its quickly sorted.

Some kind of server merge is well overdue, I think we have a solid population but the distribution is too thin SoE need to pull their finger out and sort that.

Overall the experience remains fun for me, 3 months in and still finding new stuff and details, the IP is well respresented and too few games really give that the proper priority, its not a generic tranditional mmo, it is casual play friendly - if you see that as a negative then avoid - personally those are the reasons I am still having fun despite the foibles. You pays your money and you makes your choice.

• HyperbeamHyperbeam Member Posts: 124

Seems to me you purchased the game blind and then came on here to whine about it because it isn't point and click.

Do we really need another thread about someone making an uninformed purchasing decision?

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

You are beating a dead horse OP. This game us dying, so let it.

As for your loss, well you should really never buy an MMO these days before reading up on it.

• nero_usrnero_usr Member Posts: 14

Originally posted by Hyperbeam

Seems to me you purchased the game blind and then came on here to whine about it because it isn't point and click.

Do we really need another thread about someone making an uninformed purchasing decision?

Seems to me you didnt read the post thouroughly and took it entirely out of context.

• korvasskorvass Member Posts: 616

To me, the biggest let down with this game was that SOE didn't go the extra mile and have both separate AND full PC/PS3 integrated servers. So much missed out potential right there... I could have been enjoying that game with a bunch of friends, but with most of them having PS3s, and a few having PCs, that idea just went right out the window..

• EnerzealEnerzeal Member Posts: 326

Do we really need another poster who fails to read the OP properly?

He praises the combat system, he enjoyed it.

I got this game a few days ago and played it for three days, its dead, its boring, if your reading this and considering getting it for a spin, don't its terrible. Its like development companies fail to research these days, why they would make an MMO primarily for the console I will never know. Me and a friend purchased it at the same time, but its really a solo friendly experience, its almost a single player really, and a bad one at that.

I gota praise it for its combat, it was interesting, flight was cool, stringing moves together was pretty good.

Originally posted by nero_usr

Seems to me you didnt read the post thouroughly and took it entirely out of context.

Okay as a summary:

OP..

-Bought game, bought legacy sub.

-He doesn't like, UI, control system, oh and community because by he's own standards their not what he likes/is used to. All of these things he could have found out if he'd bothered doing a little research before purchasing, (if you can access these forums I'm pretty sure you can type, 'DC Universe review/opinion', in Google).

-Hence my post as I'm tired of these sorts of, 'it isn't what I thought it would be and I couldn't be bothered to look into it first, so I'll come on here and complain', threads. The game has plenty of issues and good points as well. Purchasing a game blind and then complaining about I don't think helps any debate.

Just thought I'd verify that as some people seem to have taken offence, that wasn't my intention.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Lets see as a summary:

-He doesn't like, UI, control system, oh and community because by he's own standards their not what he likes/is used to. All of these things he could have found out if he'd bothered doing a little research before purchasing, (if you can access these forums I'm pretty sure you can type, 'DC Universe review/opinion', in Google).

-Hence my post as I'm tired of these sorts of, 'it's crap because I couldn't be bothered to look into it first', threads. The game has plenty of issues, someones personal ignorance isn't one of them.

Please explain where I have taken something, 'out of context'? 

So what exactly is the point of your post exactly?

Never really understood the idea of whining about perceived whining. Seems somewhat pointless to do that on a forum about games.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Okay as a summary:

OP..

-Hence my post as I'm tired of these sorts of, 'it isn't what I thought it would be and I couldn't be bothered to look into it first, so I'll come on here and complain', threads. The game has plenty of issues and good points as well. Purchasing a game blind and then complaining about I don't think helps any debate.

Just thought I'd verify that as some people seem to have taken offence, that wasn't my intention.

So if the original poster had done research and read what other peoples opinions of the game were, would it make anything he said untrue?   There are just as many people here that downplay or try to silence criticisms of the game as there are complaints about it.  When exactly would you give your blessing for someone to post their opinions about a game they purchased? 

The original poster fully admits that he is rather forigiving of mmos and has even subscribed to some that are generally considered massive failures.  It doesn't sound like he was holding DCU to some lofty expectations, but exactly the opposite and he was still shocked at the core problems of the game. 

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

I can't tell for sure if the OP is 100% correct since I didn't play DC UO, but the OP does fit my perception that too little content and a console styled UI are bad ideas for player retention, even if the combat is a great plus.

I'm also starting to wonder if the splitting in worldservers as has been common since the beginning for MMO's is such a good idea, when your server starts to bleed out population it quickly loses its charm since a thriving and active population on a server is the main attraction of an MMORPG. If there's hardly any population, then why play it in the first place? Guild Wars and EVE Online have a better infrastructure concerning population with their 1 world model.

As for the other discussion about the OP, I think he gave a good description of his experiences, but yes, I think it's a natural tendency that people who favor a samelike view or taste about a game will support it while those whose view will disagree with the OP - or applicable to any other game for that matter - will criticise it.

There's usually very few people that go for a middle ground in debates or are willing to acknowledge sensible points of an opposing viewpoint; certainly not here on mmorpg.com forums, a lot more polarisation than average.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

Originally posted by Daffid011

Okay as a summary:

OP..

So if the original poster had done research and read what other peoples opinions of the game were, would it make anything he said untrue?   There are just as many people here that downplay or try to silence criticisms of the game as there are complaints about it.  When exactly would you give your blessing for someone to post their opinions about a game they purchased? 

The original poster fully admits that he is rather forigiving of mmos and has even subscribed to some that are generally considered massive failures.  It doesn't sound like he was holding DCU to some lofty expectations, but exactly the opposite and he was still shocked at the core problems of the game. 

That's a fair enough point and I agree that critquing something isn't an exact science.  My issue is one of relevency to me personally. I just don't think I'd come on here to complain about something which doesn't play like I want it to/used to, when I could have found that out in the first place. 

For the record I've enjoyed the game but the lack of variety in content, inbalance issues, population problems got to me in the end.  I may sub again at some point but who knows if it'll still be around then?

• FreeJack2000FreeJack2000 Member Posts: 28

That's a fair enough point and I agree that critquing something isn't an exact science.  My issue is one of relevency to me personally. I just don't think I'd come on here to complain about something which doesn't play like I want it to/used to, when I could have found that out in the first place. 

For the record I've enjoyed the game but the lack of variety in content, inbalance issues, population problems got to me in the end.  I may sub again at some point but who knows if it'll still be around then?

I didn't intend that my post would seem as a complaint about the game.  As I stated, the game has many good features, the look, the combat and the voice acting are just some.  I  meant it as a warning to folks that like me are familiar with SOE games, and know they do a good job. They see its an SOE MMO in a store,  buy it,   and  expect it to be set up and playable as most of SOEs other MMOs and find they need to use a console controller to play.

Just yesterday I was in Gamestop looking at another MMO that recently went live.  There was another older fellow like myself,   looking at several different MMOs, he was a WOW player that was taking a break.  He saw me looking at another box and asked if I knew anything about DCUO,  I told him  the good and the bad and he decided to pass because he didnt like console games and wanted something more social with crafting.  He would have bought the game had I not gave him my OPINION. Because he did not go online and read up on it specifically and knew that SOE made pretty good MMOs.

I've stuck with SOE in their other  MMOs they develop,  even after they made terrible business decisions.  I've kept my Galaxies account active for over 7 years, even after it was nearly destroyed.  As I stated in my OP, in MMOs one mans trash is another mans treasure,  If you like a game, and it helps you escape from Real Life for even a few minutes a day, then stick with it. 

PS Thanks to you all that read my post and understood what I was trying to say.

Actually the SoE connection is far more likely to put off anyone moderately aware of the mmo scene. DCUO is better than SoE usually deliver and is facing the difficult task of attempting to improve 'despite' SoE's usual dogmatic indifference rather than any positive that studio might bring.

When it comes to what you should expect in the game I don't think there has been any serious misrepresentation (standard marketing hype aside) - ultimately the defining element of DCUO is and has always been the DC Universe itself and few IP's, if any, get a more faithful or convincing representation in a game, be they mmo or solo targetted. What we get is exactly what it says on the tin, but for those wanting a traditional mmo experience, of which, lets be honest there are already more than enough titles out there, DCUO simply isn't one of them - for myself the game is all the better that fact, its an alternative in a heaving marketplace that otherwise has very, very, little variety to offer.

• Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106

I really want to play DCUO, but if I have to play it with a controller to get the best out of the game, then I'd rather find a new game. I like my good old keyboard and mouse. Controllers aren't part of MMORPGs I like.

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

Originally posted by Spyted

When it comes to what you should expect in the game I don't think there has been any serious misrepresentation (standard marketing hype aside) - ultimately the defining element of DCUO is and has always been the DC Universe itself and few IP's, if any, get a more faithful or convincing representation in a game, be they mmo or solo targetted. What we get is exactly what it says on the tin, but for those wanting a traditional mmo experience, of which, lets be honest there are already more than enough titles out there, DCUO simply isn't one of them - for myself the game is all the better that fact, its an alternative in a heaving marketplace that otherwise has very, very, little variety to offer.

The highlighted portion is a comment I often hear that I just don't understand.

Strip away the combat interface that was designed to be played with a game console and DCU is every bit a cut/paste of standard mmo gameplay.   Almost every single gameplay feature of DCU is nothing more common features found in fantasy games like wow and eq2 and reskinning them to fit into a super hero themed mmo, even when it makes no sense for the lore of the game.   DCU is desperately trying to be a traditional mmo experience. 

Originally posted by FreeJack2000

I didn't intend that my post would seem as a complaint about the game.  As I stated, the game has many good features, the look, the combat and the voice acting are just some.  I  meant it as a warning to folks that like me are familiar with SOE games, and know they do a good job. They see its an SOE MMO in a store,  buy it,   and  expect it to be set up and playable as most of SOEs other MMOs and find they need to use a console controller to play.

Just yesterday I was in Gamestop looking at another MMO that recently went live.  There was another older fellow like myself,   looking at several different MMOs, he was a WOW player that was taking a break.  He saw me looking at another box and asked if I knew anything about DCUO,  I told him  the good and the bad and he decided to pass because he didnt like console games and wanted something more social with crafting.  He would have bought the game had I not gave him my OPINION. Because he did not go online and read up on it specifically and knew that SOE made pretty good MMOs.

I've stuck with SOE in their other  MMOs they develop,  even after they made terrible business decisions.  I've kept my Galaxies account active for over 7 years, even after it was nearly destroyed.  As I stated in my OP, in MMOs one mans trash is another mans treasure,  If you like a game, and it helps you escape from Real Life for even a few minutes a day, then stick with it. 

PS Thanks to you all that read my post and understood what I was trying to say.

There are fans of SOE on here? What really?! I must have missed them somehow :P

Anyway, regardless of what I said, I do hope you find something else you enjoy playing soon :)

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

People are actually fans of SOE? Sad. I enjoyed DCUO, despite the fact the game was so glitchly. I played on the PS3, it was pretty nasty like, but it was fun and a great idea. SOE just fails to deliever, not suprising.

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

Originally posted by Daffid011

Originally posted by Spyted

The highlighted portion is a comment I often hear that I just don't understand.

Strip away the combat interface that was designed to be played with a game console and DCU is every bit a cut/paste of standard mmo gameplay.   Almost every single gameplay feature of DCU is nothing more common features found in fantasy games like wow and eq2 and reskinning them to fit into a super hero themed mmo, even when it makes no sense for the lore of the game.   DCU is desperately trying to be a traditional mmo experience. 

You may not understand it and you may wish to represent it differently but you are acknowledging it IS a common held comment and thats across a wide range of reviews, articles and forum posts so its resonance as a point is well supported.

The combat system of any mmo is in effect a good 75% of the experience - it pretty much invades everything you do and can do so that can't really be undersold by any of us.

But imo its really the remainder of the experience that gives any game its 'individualilty' that mix of the raw mechanics and who they integrate with the theme or IP. In this case the time and effort afforded the IP is imo unprecedented by mmo standards, this is not the usual checklist of mmo staples arbitrailily given a paint job, the presence of genuine DC writing and artistic talent speaks volumes of the conviction, the integrity of the representation of the hero and villain mentality is also quite stark and comitted as compared with the usual superficial differences the generic mmo's offer. In short its in the detail that dares to be different that makes the overall difference. DCUO doesn't just satisfy itself with looking the part it goes that bit further to try and make you feel the part and for me at least this is its single greatest achievement.... so to me its not surprising the generic mmo crowd who aparently 'drift to any new mmo simply because it is new' didn't find enough to retain them (it was more than apparent from ingame chatter even when they were hailing DCUO as the second coming before doing an 180) - the game is what the title suggests first and foremost - if want your generic mmo fix look elsewhere, it is actually easy to find in whatever shape or colour you might wish for so why demand DCUO be the same?

@Spyted

First of all I am not demanding DCU be the same as other games.  I am saying that it already is aside from a few things. 

Also your over generalizations about people discussing facts of DCUs gameplay doesn't dismiss those issues they present.  There is nothing wrong with the people pointing out facts about DCU, regardless of what you want to label them as.   

DCU is a common list of features from other mmos with DCU pasted over top of it.  Sure it have some personality and the clicky combat is a different, but almost 100% player activities are things done to death in other mmos.  Just to illustrate our difference of opinions consider the following.  If EQ2 completely changed its combat model to use DCUs click block tumble system, would you rave about how different EQ2 is from other mmos? 

When I said "I don't understand" I was being facetious, because there just isn't much merit to the whole argument that DCU is some special snowflake in the mmo genre just because it has a different twist on combat.  I really do understand it when you made the comment.  I mean is end game week long lockout raid grinding tokens for tiered armor sets really that much different, because players click dodge or break while raiding?  The core aspect of end game raiding is still exactly the same.   

Your other claim is how DCU has unprecedented use of the property and not simply something slapped onto an mmo, but even that I think is a hallow claim.   I see a game that has heroes and villains running around drinking health/mana "colas" as a combat mechanic.  Then has them doing fetch quests for less than minimum wage so they will have money to "repair" their costumes or buy a new bow from the gotham city police department weapon vendor.  A game that has the worlds most famous protectors and enemies standing around like a vending machine for any player with enough tokens to buy their appropriated themed armor set.   Then treats some of the biggest secrets in the DC universe like the batcave as if they are a theme park attraction where everyone hangs out or that players get to fly around as babies with diapers shooting love arrows at each other to get more tokens and cherub decoration suits.

I'm not saying everything is that poorly done, because there is some pretty freaking cool stuff.  However there are many things that were stretched just to adhere to typical fantasy mmo gameplay or things that are so absurd it break suspension of disbelief.  I don't think the result is that the "generic mmo crowd" doesn't get it.  I think they get it all to well and that is why the game has emptied out like is has. 

• dogdersROCdogdersROC Member UncommonPosts: 21

I agree with most of your points, but I really just wanted to say thanks for making me laugh bout the use of licensed material. The bat cave has had so many visitors they need install turnstiles at the entrances. Hey if people want a superhero game where they repair costumes like armor, drink colas, shoot pistols and bows almost exclusively, then go for it guys. I see nothing heroic about sitting in the watchtower waiting to zip into the next instance. damn I mean arkhams is just so far away on the map I cant be bothered to run my lazy heroic butt over there.