Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gathering information about secondary things that are still important in 2011 MMOs

2»

Comments

• DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

Originally posted by Blutmaul
    Some games have a day/night cycle but its a fake.
    The last game with a real night was...vanguard?
    I remeber Daoc was that pitch black you would miss your destination if you did not know really good the area and torches were a big deal.
    Today the night as a day without a sun in every single game which makes it a non feature :D

Totally agree. I like realism, and I like day/night cycles. But most games now, night is very nearly as bright as day, with a little bit more blue/violet colour or a little less colour. That is not how night is. Night is really black, especially if you are out in the middle of the woods with no towns around. I know the reasoning is usually that it would be to hard to play, but it needs to be darker. Maybe not like DAoC, but something significantly darker than what it is now. If it were as dark as reality, it probably would be a significant burden on the players and not be fun.

Also, yes, please give me a boob slider. I feel like I am pretty impressive in that department, but when I am dwarfed by the smallest option, even when otherwise they are at least as small as I am, that feels weird. WoW humans, honestly, have a pretty decent bust and a realistic size otherwise, but there are no options. Games like AoC have a slider, but it is totally ridiculous. This isn't a big deal to me, or most women, I think, but it would certainly be a secondary feature I would love to have.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

Shrug. No use at all to mention any other feature.

OP is clearly biased in favor of GW2 and in opposition of SWTOR, as his OP and other posts/comments of his show image

No real objectivity, it's agenda based, might as well ask a devoted muslim do a comprehensive list of pros and cons of all of the major religions.

MMO.Maverick does have a point. The table the OP put together does seem rather biased and it would be better to have other options on there like Mounts.

Also doesn't Guild Wars 2 have a Stamina mechanic in the form of an energy pool that depletes, quite rapidly, everytime the player peforms a dodge roll.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by Dubhlaith

Originally posted by Blutmaul

*snip*

Totally agree. I like realism, and I like day/night cycles. But most games now, night is very nearly as bright as day, with a little bit more blue/violet colour or a little less colour. That is not how night is. Night is really black, especially if you are out in the middle of the woods with no towns around. I know the reasoning is usually that it would be to hard to play, but it needs to be darker. Maybe not like DAoC, but something significantly darker than what it is now. If it were as dark as reality, it probably would be a significant burden on the players and not be fun.

I also find it pointless that in a game like LOTRO I don't even notice when it transitions into nighttime, until I take a look at the sky. Those kind of day and night cycles are pointless. Which is why I'm excited to see what Guild Wars 2's day & night cycle and weather system has in store for use, because in that game some of the events are tied directly to certain times or the day. Like events taking place in graveyards at night and an event kicking off a snowstorm.

• inBOILinBOIL Member Posts: 669
    Originally posted by Disdena

What makes these features "secondary"?

gearscore

Generation P

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Originally posted by JB47394

Things like jumping and swimming are integral to being able to navigate a game world.  You can add in climbing.  Climbing trees, hills, cliffs, mountains, whatever.  One thing I cannot stand about any video game with a 3D world is that I must go around things instead of managing them directly.  A fence, a stream, a short steep hill.  These are all perfectly reasonable obstructions that my character should be able to manage.  It may do so slowly or poorly, but I should retain the option of making the attempt.

The inability to go up steep terrain is the one that stands out the most.

Totally agree, that was Ryzom's biggest let-down with no jumping just trashes the experience imo. In D&D you could attempt to climb stuff and the difficulty was made clear eg every 10m you roll to see if you fall and the climb was eg 17m up a tree or wall etc but if your climbing skill was up the roll would be more probable... a good system basically as sometimes you fell!

GW2 originally was including climbing but don't think they have updated since 2009:

"So there is not a level 20 cap," Strain said. "Either it will be a high level like 100 or unbounded, we haven't decided."

Besides these significant changes to the game, Guild Wars 2 will also introduce plenty of smaller ones, like the ability for your characters to do things like jump, swim, even climb trees.

I guess they thought about it but now concentrate on other things and instead allow the ground to be open to players jumping/walking up trees and hills and cliffs/walls etc? Think it's too much work from the ground up to include a fully climbable world in the game engine?

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

If you're actually serious about this list, Maverick's suggestion about Mounts has to be included.  I mean c'mon.

Throw in character housing too.

Ahem ... and Boob Slider.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Well, I dont care about day/night and weather. Neither do I care for stamina for running/jumping/etc. These things dont really enhance the gaming experience. Give me as many constant night and rain areas as you want to.

But jumping, swimming, diving, climbing, this is natural movement. I definitely want all of them.

Inventory and weight are necessary too.

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

Okkk i added Mounts and Housing.

And pwetty colors.

And changed "consistent visuals" to "visuals=inventory", which is more clear i think. Means you see what others are wearing in the inventory without artificial cosmetics changing the appearance.

• VigilianceVigiliance Member UncommonPosts: 213

I could honestly do without mounts but that depends on the availability of fast travel and the world that its set in. If the world is small enough where fast travel is only needed for a few secluded ideas like going from one side of the map to the other then you don't need mounts. However I like my game worlds to be fairly vast for exploration  so mounts are definitely needed in that environment. I have never played a game that featured player housing but as long as my house was secure and not be violated with I would be fine with trying it out, as long as it didn't provide something that made it feel mandatory to do in case I didn't like the feature.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by Metentso

Okkk i added Mounts and Housing.

And pwetty colors.

And changed "consistent visuals" to "visuals=inventory", which is more clear i think. Means you see what others are wearing in the inventory without artificial cosmetics changing the appearance.

I still think that 'seamless world' should be added, even if it's a secondary feature, some people like seamless worlds a la WoW, Vanguard and LotrO better than zoned worlds a la EQ or AoC.

Also, I've never seen a difference between swimming and swimming underwater in an MMORPG: either you could swim and then you could swim underwater too, or you couldn't swim ingame and then you also couldn't swim underwater: so sounds like a clear 1 feature thing to me, instead of split into 2.

Since 'boob slider' has been mentioned as favorable several times, sounds fair to me to not just let them bungle around but add them to the list image

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

I'm a little confused... the visuals = inventory means...

... that you think a cosmetics tab is an UNfeature?

That, for example, a cosmetics tab like you have in LotRO actually counts as taking a feature away?  That seems a little counter intuitive to me...

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Here's some more on the climbing in GW2 updated TODAY:

Die Stadt ist kunterbunt und sehr groß. Stolz sind die Entwickler darauf, dass Ihr auf so ziemlich alles klettern oder springen könnt, hier soll ein Minispiel im Stil von Fangen angesiedelt werden.

Trans. The city is pretty colourful and very large. The developers are proud of the fact that you can climb or jump on pretty much anything, there's supposed to be a minigame along the lines of tag here.

Full translation link