Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1 Reason is all I need not to play...

Comments

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

Originally posted by Reizlanzer

So... yeah, you say there is no answer in GW2 for certain players, I say they are just cooped up in their shells and refuse to come out. Buy it, try it - I will never say Guardians = Prot Monks, but I will say that the play style accomplishes the same thing, minus whack-a-mole.

This is exactly what I'm talking about.

You're saying that everyone who doesn't like GW2 is just cooped up in their shells and refusing to come out. Because apperantly there can't be any logical reason for not liking GW2. Clearly the only reason can be that that person is horribly close-minded and unwilling to give this a try.

Why isn't it enough that you like GW2? Why must everyone else like it too?

Why not just reply with something like

Originally posted by romanator0

Oh well. One man's trash is another man's treasure. While a few people will be turned off by the lack of healers far more people are praising ArenaNet for doing it.

Why keep on insisting that the guardian is, as you say, a support class without all the whack-a-mole healing mechanics and thus clearly superior to healing classes, such as the prot monk?

This isn't the first thread about healing in GW2. And every time such a thread pops up we get various people claiming that the guardian is somehow superior to other healers and that the only reason for not thinking so is, with your words, being cooped up in your shell and refusing to come out.

Why not just say that GW2 does not have healers? Why not point them to another game like RIFT or SWToR ( without making it sound like they're cooped up in their shell and refusing to come out and play this obviously superior product. )?

Sure, you can mention the guardian as an alternative. But I just don't understand why some people need to keep on trying to claim GW2 is superior and that everything other MMOs do is done better by GW2. Why not say that the guardian is diffirent but you might like it instead of claiming that it's a better support class that has everything that's fun in healers but without all the obviously boring whack-a-mole healing mechanics?

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Thanks for letting us know :)

Next?

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Originally posted by Kaynok

One reason is all you need to forget about GW2? MMOs are supposed to be more than just healing. The fact that you refuse to play it just because your favorite class is being thrown away(thank god), it shows that you have no open mind. You're closed mind makes you see one thing and if it's not there, you won't play the game. Let me tell you something Dreamer, I can tell you exactly why you like a healer. And it's sure as hell not the "healing" part. You don't enjoy watching red bars all day. Trust me, you don't.

What you really appreciate and like is the ability to help people. You like supporting. You like keeping people alive. You can still do this, albeit in a different way. One of my good buddies is an avid healer. That's ALL he plays. When he heard that ArenaNet was getting rid of the healer class, he just about cried. He was looking forward to the game so much. He automatically thought that he wasn't going to buy the game. But then something happened that changed his mind. The Guardian class was announced. It's there for the healer type of players that like supporting and helping others. It might be done in a different way but it gives off the same satisfying feeling that you helped your buddies out. Sometimes people don't like playing tanks or dps. That's understandable. But everyone can tank. Everyone can dps. Everyone can support. Shouldn't it be good that you have the option to do all of those with the Guardian? If all you want to do is support, then do that with the Guardian class. But if a certain situation pops up that calls for you to tank or dps, then you have that ability. That's something the Monk in GW1 didn't have.

Why don't you stop being so mad towards change. Try out Guild Wars 2, play the Guardian and then tell me it's not the same. I guarantee you'll love it. You might not know how to play it at first considering they threw away the holy trinity so the game plays differently than any other, but once you get the basics down, it'll be very rewarding. If you don't want to give the game a chance just because of a stupid reason like that, then go ahead. But know this, ArenaNet is not alienating the people that play healers. They created a class that gives off that same sort of satisfaction. People will realize this and let me tell you, the people that like to heal in MMOs aren't many. Especially compared to other classes. Just feel lucky ANet had you guys/girls in mind when creating this game and throwing away the holy trinity.

Unless you've played the game and that class for a decent amount of time, you have no idea how it will play. Guardian class will not suffice for a player that loves healing, otherwise your back to looking for a healer for 12 hours.

Her reason isn't stupid. The first thing you do in an MMO really is to find a class you find enjoyable, if the class she loves to play isn't playable then how can you enjoy the rest of the game.

Also I wouldn't rule out the holy trinity until you try it. Although they have said they aim to get rid of if, its ultimately down to the players and what happens come game time. Looks like a great game but its not the first game to have stuff sound amazing on paper or in videos.

Originally posted by Zeroxin

Hey hey calm down, aim that frustration at those who deserve it lol. I personally just try to help people find what they like within whatever they find different or annoying, which is what I was trying to do here. Considering how little I know of the guardian and his list of skills, I can't really say how much of a deviation it is from the prot monk but we have to remember the prot monk was all about damage mitigation and that is what the guardian seems to be about too. Now you may not find the way he seems to do it (being AoE and all) palatable to your playstyle and that's fine but that doesn't stop us from trying to help you get to grips with it.

I'm sorry, but I'm just getting a bit tired of all the attempts to make GW2 sound like it's everything and that everyone who doesn't agree with that is obviously a close-minded idiot as so accuretly described here

Originally posted by Kaynok

The fact that you refuse to play it just because your favorite class is being thrown away(thank god), it shows that you have no open mind. You're closed mind makes you see one thing and if it's not there, you won't play the game.

Why must I come to grips with it? Why must I like and play this game?

Why not just point me to GW2 information and videos and let me make my own judgement instead of making it for me and branding me as close-minded if I don't agree with it?

It just sounds like a really shitty basis for a community is being made here. A basis where everyone inside the community is obviously a smart and reasonable person and anyone outside the community is close-minded and stuck inside his little shell. And frankly it's a community I don't want to be a part of and will actively push myself away form.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Originally posted by gobla

Why not just reply with something like

Oh well. One man's trash is another man's treasure. While a few people will be turned off by the lack of healers far more people are praising ArenaNet for doing it.

The whole thing really should have started and stopped there.

'Oh, you don't like a game without healers.  Well, try it out during beta, but maybe this game just won't be for you.  At the price, it might be worth a try anyway though...'

Dunno why the OP gets so confrontational so quickly (Part of it might be she appears to have some sort of history with Romanator0), but the thread pretty much degraded since that post, too much insulting on both sides of the table.

... on a side note, I think for some people, GW2 really will be the best MMO ever.

It can't objectively be the best MMO ever, but really, some of the people who like it will get to play it, and if Arenanet doesn't drop the ball, it will be their favorite MMO ever.  Sometimes, when somebody has a favorite thing (Right now it's sort of theoretically favorite, but the same idea holds), it confuses a person why other people can't see how awesome it is.

I used to be like that on a lot of things, and I sometimes still am, but mostly I realize people will just like what they like, and it's not my job to convince people to prefer my obviously superior tastes.  It's mostly only worth convincing somebody something actually is their taste and they just aren't properly informed as to how, yet.

It just sounds like a really shitty basis for a community is being made here. A basis where everyone inside the community is obviously a smart and reasonable person and anyone outside the community is close-minded and stuck inside his little shell. And frankly it's a community I don't want to be a part of and will actively push myself away form.

Oh, c'mon, that's EVERYBODY.  That's like... everybody... with any point of view... ever... just about.

It's one reason politics can annoy me so much.  My wife and I are on opposite ends of the political spectrum, but I am perfectly willing to acknowledge she has a different view because she has drawn different conclusions, not because she is stupid or evil.

... but it's not like GW2 has some sort of lock on this behavior.  Not even close.  ... have you even paid any attention to any of the other forums here?  D:

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Breaking the holy trinity is one of the main reasons why I'm really looking forward to this game. Close minded people like OP won't like this, they are stuck in the old system and there's no helping it. Who play mmos just to watch health bars go up and down, should play some other old-school/more of the same mmos. People who look for something different and revolutionary will enjoy gw2, others don't waste our time ;)

• IngeKyIngeKy Member Posts: 47

I have an idea!

Cease the bickering and judgment until you play the game. I understand this is the internet, and people are going to complain regardless what anyone says, but if this is a serious thread (and I imagine it's not  - the OP obviously doesn't know you can focus on support on the elementalist and guardian off the top of my head) you have my sympathy. If you need your holy trinity and can't accept innovation then yes, play Rift. Or quit MMORPGs all-together. Games tend to be developed based on other games innovation. I except future MMORPGs to rid of the holy trinity as well.

End result: Get over it and get used to it.

Originally posted by thedarkess

Breaking the holy trinity is one of the main reasons why I'm really looking forward to this game. Close minded people like OP won't like this, they are stuck in the old system and there's no helping it. Who play mmos just to watch health bars go up and down, should play some other old-school/more of the same mmos. People who look for something different and revolutionary will enjoy gw2, others don't waste our time ;)

/cry

Enjoy my big and salty forum tears. I hope you're thirsty... clicky for sound effects.

Originally posted by Meowhead

Oh, c'mon, that's EVERYBODY.  That's like... everybody... with any point of view... ever... just about.

It's one reason politics can annoy me so much.  My wife and I are on opposite ends of the political spectrum, but I am perfectly willing to acknowledge she has a different view because she has drawn different conclusions, not because she is stupid or evil.

... but it's not like GW2 has some sort of lock on this behavior.  Not even close.  ... have you even paid any attention to any of the other forums here?  D:

Just because it happens everywhere doesn't mean we should just accept it and start condoning it.

Besides, as you and your wife prove, it can be done diffirently. And I think that's worth investing some of my forum posting time in. I mean god forbid I might actually do something even remotely constructive.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

Just because it happens everywhere doesn't mean we should just accept it and start condoning it.

Besides, as you and your wife prove, it can be done diffirently. And I think that's worth investing some of my forum posting time in. I mean god forbid I might actually do something even remotely constructive.

Well, some people are reasonable and evenhanded, but the reasonable people don't see any reason to respond!  Or they have already, and are done.  There were some pretty reasonable responses to the post.

Anyway, you can't expect the best, most tactful responses out of a community when the whole opening post is pretty confrontational.

Opening post sets about 40% of the tone for a thread.  (About 59% of the tone is set by the title of the thread itself.)

• SelfDestructProSelfDestructPro Member UncommonPosts: 323

Oh well. One man's trash is another man's treasure. While a few people will be turned off by the lack of healbots far more people are praising ArenaNet for doing it.

This.  One thing I have always hated about MMOs in the past is healing.  When are games going to get more suspenseful and dangerous.  Without healing they would be.  I had heard that each class in GW2 will have some form of healing for themselves anyway so why anyone has anything to complain about on that subject is beyond me.

• TheodorykTheodoryk Member Posts: 1,453

Someone isn't going to play GW2. News at 23:00.

"Speaking haygywaygy or some other gibberish with your mum doesn't make you foreign."
    -baff

Originally posted by Meowhead

Well, some people are reasonable and evenhanded, but the reasonable people don't see any reason to respond!  Or they have already, and are done.  There were some pretty reasonable responses to the post.

Anyway, you can't expect the best, most tactful responses out of a community when the whole opening post is pretty confrontational.

Opening post sets about 40% of the tone for a thread.  (About 59% of the tone is set by the title of the thread itself.)

A you said. The reasonable people have already posted and are done. You can't reasonably expect me to be reasonable about my unreasonable aim of unreasonably creating a more reasonable community. Contrary to the amount of "reasonable" in this post it's probably not all that reasonable, reasonably speaking that is. Unreasonably speaking it's an entirely reasonable matter. Also, I'm not reasonably sure what I'm reasonably talking about anymore beyond that, reasonably speaking, the word "reasonable" has by now lost all reasonable meaning. It would be a reasonable assumption to say that this post was mostly a reasonable attempt at preventing boredom and an unreasonable attempt at humor.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• SetsunSetsun Member UncommonPosts: 286

Oh i will play GW2 because its B2P, when i log off SWTOR i might try it out.

The game seems great but its no where near SWTOR, i played them both.

Originally posted by Asamighost

Oh i will play GW2 because its B2P, when i log off SWTOR i might try it out.

The game seems great but its no where near SWTOR, i played them both.

Opinion duly noted.

Hopefully nobody rises to the bait, and everybody just chalks what you said up to a matter of opinion.

Some people will like SW:ToR more, and some people will like GW2 more.

If they're both really good, GW2 will sell more copies, and SW:ToR will make more money.

• BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624

http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/?lang=en

Thank you so much for this, you made my day, romanator0 :)

• dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679

I will definitively admit I come here with a frustrated attitude.  With years of watching these forums and watching people troll and hate on games that they don't like, and watching dozens of people every day in the Rift forums bashing a game which really isn't bad.  If it's not your cup of tea, then fine.  Don't come to the forums bashing a game you either haven't tried or didn't enjoy.  The other end of my frustration is with people worshipping GW2 as the second coming.  It has become a standard and annoying behavior that the whole community, at least on this site, gets all ramped up and starts bowing to the ground of the next big MMO.  Then as soon as it comes out everyone has some reason to be so dramatically disappointed in one way or the other and the game fizzles out in a couple of months.  This has been a trend I have been riding and watching ever since Vanguard.  I have always watched and read and ignored for the most part.  I thought for once "hey I have to read all the other garbage out here that people write, maybe it's my turn."  And so from that came, after reading all the thousands of reasons that GW2 will become the new MMO God, the one reason I will not be playing it. 

To all of those who posted helpful information I thank you.  I am aware of all the forms that "Healing" can take.  I also look at those of you who truly don't appreciate good healers with contempt.  Your 'all healer are healbots' theory is completely insulting to those of us who have been keeping you alive over the years.  And also in my awareness of all the forms healing can take I am disappointed that there will be no specific class, whose entire job lay in keeping others alive.  This was my bitter complaint from the beginning.  So thank you for 'biting'.  It was fun being on the other side for once and venting out my MMO frustration.

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

Originally posted by dreamer05

I will definitively admit I come here with a frustrated attitude.  With years of watching these forums and watching people troll and hate on games that they don't like, and watching dozens of people every day in the Rift forums bashing a game which really isn't bad.  If it's not your cup of tea, then fine.  Don't come to the forums bashing a game you either haven't tried or didn't enjoy.  The other end of my frustration is with people worshipping GW2 as the second coming.  It has become a standard and annoying behavior that the whole community, at least on this site, gets all ramped up and starts bowing to the ground of the next big MMO.  Then as soon as it comes out everyone has some reason to be so dramatically disappointed in one way or the other and the game fizzles out in a couple of months.  This has been a trend I have been riding and watching ever since Vanguard.  I have always watched and read and ignored for the most part.  I thought for once "hey I have to read all the other garbage out here that people write, maybe it's my turn."  And so from that came, after reading all the thousands of reasons that GW2 will become the new MMO God, the one reason I will not be playing it. 

To all of those who posted helpful information I thank you.  I am aware of all the forms that "Healing" can take.  I also look at those of you who truly don't appreciate good healers with contempt.  Your 'all healer are healbots' theory is completely insulting to those of us who have been keeping you alive over the years.  And also in my awareness of all the forms healing can take I am disappointed that there will be no specific class, whose entire job lay in keeping others alive.  This was my bitter complaint from the beginning.  So thank you for 'biting'.  It was fun being on the other side for once and venting out my MMO frustration.

While I understand your point of view, you must admit that the tank-dps-heal trinity must come to an end. It's an artificial way of forced grouping, and there MUST be other ways to incourage groups other than "must get heal of die".

And I admit, I use to bash on some games, but ONLY when I see a thread like "2nd coming" on a game that is obviously nothing like that.

But to say that you won't play GW2 (or any unreleased/beta promissing games) BECAUSE of this kind of threads is childish, to say the least.

• IngeKyIngeKy Member Posts: 47

Rift is Rift - I don't care about it. It caters to a lot of people, just the way Guild Wars 2 will. I do expect Guild Wars 2 to be the next big MMORPG due to numerous reasons I'm sure everyone already knows of. From what I have seen, everyone who has played Guild Wars 2 has loved it so far. Even people who usually don't play MMORPGs liked Guild Wars 2. That should say something.

• jukinrujukinru Member Posts: 76

@OP To each there own I say. It makes me sad that you're going to not play this game because of no healer class. Let me ask you this, is healer all you play mmos? If so may I ask why? I'm just curious is all because it seems like healing is the end all be all for mmos for you considering your decision not to play GW2 based on no healer classes when there are so many reasons to at least give it a chance.

Just so you know I am the same way with rogue style classes, there all I play for the most part. One of my main concerns about GW2 is how many character slots will be available at launch, that says alot coming from someone who very rarely has more than 1 character.

Originally posted by BTrayaL

While I understand your point of view, you must admit that the tank-dps-heal trinity must come to an end. It's an artificial way of forced grouping, and there MUST be other ways to incourage groups other than "must get heal of die".

And I admit, I use to bash on some games, but ONLY when I see a thread like "2nd coming" on a game that is obviously nothing like that.

But to say that you won't play GW2 (or any unreleased/beta promissing games) BECAUSE of this kind of threads is childish, to say the least.

And that is part of my annoyance really.  I have clearly seen many posts about this as the second coming when really the vast majority of the general populace has not played it.  I would not be completely adverse to the idea of getting rid of the trinity, but I would have a hard time purchasing a game that has gotten rid of my favorite role to play.  The only options so far presented to me are playing support classes, which I may do.  If all else fails when it releases it could be a good game and popular word could spread how amazing it is and I will be willing to try one of these support classes.

Originally posted by jukinru

@OP To each there own I say. It makes me sad that you're going to not play this game because of no healer class. Let me ask you this, is healer all you play mmos? If so may I ask why? I'm just curious is all because it seems like healing is the end all be all for mmos for you considering your decision not to play GW2 based on no healer classes when there are so many reasons to at least give it a chance.

Just so you know I am the same way with rogue style classes, there all I play for the most part. One of my main concerns about GW2 is how many character slots will be available at launch, that says alot coming from someone who very rarely has more than 1 character.

It is what I have always played and always enjoyed.  I enjoy the skill it takes to be a great healer and be able to get any group out of a sticky and dangerous situation.  I enjoy being responsible for keeping everyone alive.  I enjoy the respect that people give to those they recognize as genuinely great healers.

And that is part of my annoyance really.  I have clearly seen many posts about this as the second coming when really the vast majority of the general populace has not played it.  I would not be completely adverse to the idea of getting rid of the trinity, but I would have a hard time purchasing a game that has gotten rid of my favorite role to play.  The only options so far presented to me are playing support classes, which I may do.  If all else fails when it releases it could be a good game and popular word could spread how amazing it is and I will be willing to try one of these support classes.

Bu support classes you mean an Elementalist that swaps 1 skill?

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

I like being a healer in games, but I defintely prefer being a general support character more.

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

Why must the tank-dps-heal trinity end? Why isn't it possible for some games to do the tank-heal-dps trinity and some games to do something else?

Last I checked there weren't any apocalyptic prophecies predicting the end of the world if there ever should be a non-trinity MMO in existance at the same time as a trinity MMO due to an unravelling of reality since the space-time continuum couldn't cope with the stress brought on by this paradox of all paradoxes.

And how is it childish to not play a game because you don't like some parts of it? If I don't like guns am I being childish if I don't play shooters without trying them first? Personally I play games for fun. If I don't think I'm going to have fun playing something I'm not even going to try it. Why risk not having fun when there's other games out there I'm fairly certain I will have fun with?

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

And how is it childish to not play a game because you don't like some parts of it? If I don't like guns am I being childish if I don't play shooters without trying them first? Personally I play games for fun. If I don't think I'm going to have fun playing something I'm not even going to try it. Why risk not having fun when there's other games out there I'm fairly certain I will have fun with?

I sugest you read again the part about "childish". Actually READ it, maybe you will understand. Not that it's hard.. but apparently it is.