Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honestly..Is it too late to get into WoW?

2»

Comments

• MeTedMeTed Member Posts: 129

OP. $100 for all the packs is a bit steep if you ask me. Unless you are overly anxious to play with your friends I would try out Lord of the Rings Online since it's free. Decide if you like the fantasy mmo genre to begin with and then wait for a sale on the WOW packs.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by Phry

the game now gives you so much gold while your levelling that having enough to buy the riding skills is really not a problem.. though a mistake quite a few make is buying equipment on the AH.. quest rewards and loot drops are all you really need.. and if you take up gathering skills (mining and skinning) you will have the gold even faster.. if anything.. it really got too easy.. (as if it was all that hard to begin with....) WoW is still the top fantasy MMO.. but.. Rift is also a good enough option if you like fantasy based games.. though obviously. WoW has far more in game content... if in doubt try both on free trials..  doesnt get any easier than that.. or cheaper image

True.  Do not be tempted by that slightly better stuff in the auction!  Odds are, there's a quest a hub away that rewards you with something better. 

On the other hand, do as Phry says, go all gathering professions for your first toon and sell, sell, sell!  You'll easily have the gold for your ground mounts when you qualify for them, and air mounts will come much, much quicker!

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Phry

Originally posted by jeremyjodes

Originally posted by design1314

Hi, I've never played any MMORPG in the past but I was kind of a hardcore RPGer. I've been wanting to try a MMORPG but just cant decide which one to play, I had WoW and RIFT on my mind and since I've been reading so much bad reviews lately about RIFT so I kind of gave up its interest. So all my choices left is WoW and which is an old game... Do you guys think it's too late to get into this game? I have some friends that play this game every day and night and they are high lvl players. If I start playing WoW now... doesn it mean that I'll never catch up to them? 

If you choose Wow you will need to buy all the xpacs. The time to get from level 1 to 85 can be a chore. if you find a good guild don't expect much help unless you have friends. You will see tons of capped lvl players flying around on mounts you most likly will never obtain, even if they even still reward them. you will have to grind alot to get the gold to buy your flying and mount. mounts are fairly cheap. to train the riding your gonna be buying gold or begging near the AH for some.

you will cap you will set idle in a city waiting for ques you will look like everyone else. you will be bored you will sub to rift.

unles you don't mind going through all the pain to cap and get groups give it a whirl. Oh and ...I played rift it was fun don't let the haters fool you man. If had the time I would buy it but my game time has been halfed as of late.

the game now gives you so much gold while your levelling that having enough to buy the riding skills is really not a problem.. though a mistake quite a few make is buying equipment on the AH.. quest rewards and loot drops are all you really need.. and if you take up gathering skills (mining and skinning) you will have the gold even faster.. if anything.. it really got too easy.. (as if it was all that hard to begin with....) WoW is still the top fantasy MMO.. but.. Rift is also a good enough option if you like fantasy based games.. though obviously. WoW has far more in game content... if in doubt try both on free trials..  doesnt get any easier than that.. or cheaper image

All the highlighted stuff up there is totally UNTRUE. Obviously typed by someone who has the ulterior motive of simply collecting more players for RIFT with it's repetetive and obnoxious rifts.  Either that OR.....they haven't played WoW in so long that they have no idea what it's like NOW.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516

Level wise 2 weeks, maybe 3 depending on what class you choose to play, until you are running heroics etc.  Add in one month, maybe 6 weeks and you will easily be geared well enough to start doing pug raids.  By the time of the next content update you'll be waiting for it to hit lol.

• kinidokinido Member UncommonPosts: 429

Originally posted by jeremyjodes

Hi, I've never played any MMORPG in the past but I was kind of a hardcore RPGer. I've been wanting to try a MMORPG but just cant decide which one to play, I had WoW and RIFT on my mind and since I've been reading so much bad reviews lately about RIFT so I kind of gave up its interest. So all my choices left is WoW and which is an old game... Do you guys think it's too late to get into this game? I have some friends that play this game every day and night and they are high lvl players. If I start playing WoW now... doesn it mean that I'll never catch up to them? 

If you choose Wow you will need to buy all the xpacs. The time to get from level 1 to 85 can be a chore. if you find a good guild don't expect much help unless you have friends. You will see tons of capped lvl players flying around on mounts you most likly will never obtain, even if they even still reward them. you will have to grind alot to get the gold to buy your flying and mount. mounts are fairly cheap. to train the riding your gonna be buying gold or begging near the AH for some.

you will cap you will set idle in a city waiting for ques you will look like everyone else. you will be bored you will sub to rift.

unles you don't mind going through all the pain to cap and get groups give it a whirl. Oh and ...I played rift it was fun don't let the haters fool you man. If had the time I would buy it but my game time has been halfed as of late.

LOL! This post makes me laugh, how can you call 1-85 a chore? It really isnt, i would honestly say the only level bracket that could even have the name of "chore" would be 60-68, but i mean still, can do it in a day or two. 

The 85's flying around on their big bad mounts? hello! People do achievement runs ALL THE TIME, and yeah, there are some that are gone now, because the time for them is past, but still, i just got my 25man hardmode Ulduar drake yesterday. It is possible to get them, and many people run them especially now that we are higher then the req level.

If you save everything from 1-85 and only by your necceseties, you should hit 4k gold easy by the end. They made it much easier.

Yeah, when you cap most people will be sitting in town, just because thats where a llot of the social aspect is, /1 /2 /trade lol ; you might see the main player base in the towns, but there are MANY people out in the highlands, hell even STV and sometimes torchering Duskwood still. So, yeah, theres always stuff to do, and theres people out and about everywhere pretty much.

So yeah, this troll attempt, or whatever you want to call it was fail, because not one thing you stated could have been 100% true. 

PS - All mammals have nipples.

Get over it already.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Thanks folks! lots of response :) I am not really looking forward for SWTOR (not my style in terms of graphics and was never a StarWar fas), GW2 (maybe.. don't know if the gameplay will suite me), TERA (unsure about Korean MMORPG), but might give it a try, have to see how big the cummunity is when it releses). Ya so as I mentioned before I have lots of high lvl real life freinds that plays WOW and are willing to help me lvl up. But my concern is that I really don't want to go through my lvling "too" fast as I kind of want to enjoy the game (walking around the towns, NPGs, story, learning my basic/advanced hotkeys). Will there be another WoW expansion coming out in the near future? One more thing that I want to ask you guys about WoW is that do you guys use any walkthrough  guides? Or WoW doesn't need a walkthrough guide? Because when I played Final Fantasys, I always wanted to use a walkthrough guild to make sure I get every single item..etc. Is WoW different? Thanks

WoW's pace is just about right in my opinion.  But you can level at your own pace and try to see as much as possible. When WoW came out, people would hit level 60 in a about month. It took me 3 months to get to level 60.

If you are going to play with your friends, they shouldn't play with their high level characters to "help" you. This will ruin your experience big time.

There won't be an expansion in the near future. The latest expansion released in December.

You don't need walkthroughs for WoW. When the game released people used addons which showed you where to go for your quests but there is an in-game quest tracker now.

Originally posted by severius

Level wise 2 weeks, maybe 3 depending on what class you choose to play, until you are running heroics etc.  Add in one month, maybe 6 weeks and you will easily be geared well enough to start doing pug raids.  By the time of the next content update you'll be waiting for it to hit lol.

Are you serious? 2 weeks to get to level 85 and be geared for heroics. This is if you play quite a bit and it is not your first walkthrough. Someone else said you can hit cap in 2 weeks of casual gameplay. Yeah, right if 20-30+ per week is casual and I still don't buy it that it will take you 2 weeks. 

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• marquisk2marquisk2 Member Posts: 141

If you have a decent computer find an MMO with better graphics.  WOW is a bit outdated since it's been around so long and with all of the expansions you need to buy you're better off buying another MMO that will not be treated as if it was 2nd place when their new MMO "Titan" is released.  The original developers already moved on and so should newcomers.

• QazzQazz Member Posts: 577

It's not too late, in fact it's a great time to try WoW.  The new player experience is better than ever and there are still plenty of guilds recruiting newbies.  

I personally don't play WoW anymore, but for those who haven't played it before...I recommend giving it a try for sure.

• rottNrottN Member Posts: 161

Originally posted by bobbyjr

Originally posted by marquisk2

If you have a decent computer find an MMO with better graphics.  WOW is a bit outdated since it's been around so long and with all of the expansions you need to buy you're better off buying another MMO that will not be treated as if it was 2nd place when their new MMO "Titan" is released.  The original developers already moved on and so should newcomers.

{mod edit}

in what part did he mention rift ? rift and wow arrent the only games on the market you know..

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815

I think it's a great time to play WoW. With the recent expansion and re-vamped experience throughout zones, I think you will enjoy.

Wow is not my favorite MMO, but it does have a fun factor and yes you can catch up to your friends. Until then solo'ing content will not be difficult and you can enjoy the dungeon content by queing up in the random dungeon finder.

For a first MMO it is a great experience.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Starting out in WoW is the best part of WoW, in my opinion. Just take your time and soak it all in. Others will try to rush you constantly, but the lower levels are much more laid back than the end game, in my experience, so do your best to make them last. I like to turn my XP off from time to time so I can finish zone quests or run some of the dungeons I'm about to outlevel. Endgame is a gimmick. Don't get sucked into it.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• DuvandDuvand Member Posts: 33

I left wow for RIFT and to be honest it's got some enjoyable moments, but the animation is not as smoath as WOW, and I predict longevity would be equal to one run to level 50 and a secenic tour of the lands to find all the artifacts.

In relation to a weakness, I think after six years WOW has done very well, but is now showing it's age in relation to content.  Blizz really need to come up with something new in the next few years if it wants to hold onto it's loyal fan base.

I personally can't stand WOW, being an ex DAOC (dark age of camelot) player I find the Lore in WOW boring and I rarely read the quests.  I stayed with it because it's interface and mechanics was the best for the time, but I'll jump ship as soon as a better model appears.

Maybe I'm in the middle aged minority here, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few disgruntled few that hate Blizz for making them play a cartoon for the last few years, and likeing it lol.

The concepts in GW2 look very promising, but then so did many other failed mmo's.

Blizz should make a brand new game, maybe DAOC 2 (mechanics with lore and a 3 way pvp siege sytems).

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

I would personally only  recommend wow if you are looknig for a good questing experience for a couple weeks or so and some casual fun to follow.  If you are after an emmersive experience or fun end game blizzard has pretty much broken that end if things.  Good experiment is to listen to the chat in the main channels, the community is very weary, synical and often unfriendly.   It may however may be worth a shout to join a big casual guild that is looking to enjoy the content and less interested about competing with other guilds on progress. 

Alternative I have found and and enjoying is Lord of the rings online.  It's free, and  very mature and polished.  Offers good levelling and immersion if you enjoy the quests and dont try and rush through.  I am also playing Guild Wars 1, fun pushing through the quersts knowing that you can bve rewarded in Guild War 2 for your efforts.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• Red-MageRed-Mage Member Posts: 1

I would honestly wait for one of the newer games or play something like Aion, Rift possibly TOR since they offer pretty much what wow does and then some with a newer game. Starting WOW now is like being the only new kid on an old playground full of 6th graders. WOW was honestly much better before WOTLK, you really had to play Vanilla to BC to really appreciate what the game was.

• xxHanoverxxxxHanoverxx Member Posts: 28

I started WOW back in December and I am enjoying the hell out of it.  Think of it this way, you have the original world plus THREE EXPANSIONS to explore...and that is a lot of content.  Add the fact you have several races in two factions, each with their own starting areas and stories...You could either take your time and explore every area with one character, or go through it several times, branching off taking different paths with each new toon you build.  There's so much to see and do.  WOW is a lot of value for $100 (cheaper if you can find a deal online).  

People talk about how abysmal the community is...but out of the last five months I have been playing, I have only encountered one problem with someone in a random dungeon.  I've had really good experiences with the community.  I can still find people around me to do some of the elite quests.  I joined a very friendly guild where we are constantly joking and chatting with each other, even when we aren't questing, doing a dungeon or raiding.

So I say go for it.  You will have a lot to keep your attention for a very long time.

• LepreconLeprecon Member Posts: 17

It's never too late to join WoW. They made it easier to learn, which is always a plus for new players. Give it a shot, you probably won't be disappointed!

• luro16luro16 Member Posts: 86

I've recently quit wow after playign since launch, but i can still recomend it to a new person.

The good news is, by the time you hit 85, Firelands will probably be out with redone ZA and ZG and you can get a full epic set of gear without setting foot in a raid again, which will get your foot in the door of raiding guilds.  Who, i have noticed, despite so many people playing, are recruiting more and more lately as hc players are starting to lose interest.

But if you have never played theres a lot of great content to play around in.

• design1314design1314 Member Posts: 13

So after all I've decided to jump on the old WoW instead of the nw Rift. Thanks again for all the tips. So my friend has gave me  invite to try out WoW. So I think I am going to use the invite for a bit before I spend $150 on the game and 1st month sub. But how does it work?

1) Will my trial character get transferred to the real purchased account?

2) Most of my friends plays on PvP server, and I have read that in a PvP server I would get ganked a lot... So what if I am playing WoW and my friend are not on to play with me? How can I avoid ganking on a PvP server?

3) Now I know its never too late to catch up my friends in WoW.  I understand levels will be very easiy to catch up, but how about the equipments and items?

Thx

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411

So after all I've decided to jump on the old WoW instead of the nw Rift. Thanks again for all the tips. So my friend has gave me  invite to try out WoW. So I think I am going to use the invite for a bit before I spend $150 on the game and 1st month sub. But how does it work?

1) Will my trial character get transferred to the real purchased account?

2) Most of my friends plays on PvP server, and I have read that in a PvP server I would get ganked a lot... So what if I am playing WoW and my friend are not on to play with me? How can I avoid ganking on a PvP server?

3) Now I know its never too late to catch up my friends in WoW.  I understand levels will be very easiy to catch up, but how about the equipments and items?

Thx

Yes, your trial char will move onto the account when you upgrade your trial

Make a rogue and you'll have a better time levelling on a PvP server and then you'll be the one doing most of the ganking ;)

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

W. So I think I am going to use the invite for a bit before I spend $150 on the game and 1st month sub. 

WoW does not cost $150 dollars. I just did a quick summing up, and WoW + all expansions costs 38 pounds - 11 pounds for WoW+TBC, 10 pounds for WOTLK, 17 pounds for cata.

This is only a bit more expensive than most new games. Some games like SC2 and CoD cost more at 40 quid.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.