Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Battlegrounds / Instanced PvP: How much do you think they would SUFFER if rewards were REMOVED?

2»

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Originally posted by Evasia

Im more hoping of removing them all together from all games there disgrace to whole pvp as a gamestyle. Bringback the world open pvp in all mmo's lets get some ganking/corpsecamp a pk paradise going and no mercy with all who dont like it that would be best move:)

You will end up playing with yourself.

Well, modern RPG is all about rewards, whether it is xp, levels, new skills, new spells, new mount, new loot or what-not.

No reward, you don't have a game, whether it is PvE or PvP.

You think back in the EQ days, people really enjoy camping and loot drama? They did it for the REWARD.

• inBOILinBOIL Member Posts: 669

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Well, modern RPG is all about rewards, whether it is xp, levels, new skills, new spells, new mount, new loot or what-not.

You think back in the EQ days, people really enjoy camping and loot drama? They did it for the REWARD.

ever heard of games,where game itself is rewarding?

Generation P

• Xero_ChanceXero_Chance Member Posts: 519

If you took out PvP rewards, nobody would have the patience to put up with OP twinks and nobody but them would PvP. The community would then divide between hardcore PvPers and PvErs, eventually folding in on itself in a series of conflicts over chat. Both sides would be blasted by so much hate speech until neither one had any credibility left and the community would suffer. As a result, people who wanted casual PvP would have absolutely no reason to stick around as it would only cater to the elite hardcore. The hypothetical game in question would lose many many subscribers over internal squabbling and neglect.

• Jackal-79Jackal-79 Member UncommonPosts: 55

Originally posted by Majinash

Originally posted by Jackal-79

If MMO developers took away Rewards for PvP instanced or world than what would be the point of having PvP at all?

Poeple need  something to aim for in a game  and rewards does exactly what it says on the tin " If you PvP you get rewards".

Years ago I used to spend my time during recess playing things like kickball, soccer and football.  never once did i get a reward at the end of the game.  It was a game we played because we had fun.

The point of the post is asking is if instaned PvP is actually "fun" or do people do it only for the rewards.  you seem to mix the 2 and say 1 is dependant on the other.  that may be true for you, but I never got into games because I needed to be rewarded to have fun.

It is obvious from your post that if they took away rewards from PvP that you would no longer do it.  Logic would dictate you do not find PvP itself to be fun, or you would do it regardless.

To answer the main post... it depends on the game.  I put hundreds of hours into 4v4 arenas in Guild Wars because it was just fun.  I even played before they added Balthazaar faction so there was pretty much zero reward from PvP (not that the faction is much of a reward either) and it was a blast.  It really depends on the PvP itself, it can be so diverse.

My first PvP game was AO and was all open world i think it was a blast most of the people that turned up had nothing to gain but personal gratification. whereas now i dont PvP becuase im a casual player and dont have time to grind the battlegrounds for shinies.

And i got the impression the OP was talking about WoW where the Instanced PvP is dull and boring ,but like i said no one forces anyone to do anything, its just unfortunate that most MMOs today have gone that way.

So i think where a game offers rewards for such things as PvP and they took them away like in WoW than 99% would stop, and grind some other way.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Originally posted by depain

Personally, as an avid PvP player, I feel forced into Battlegrounds / Warzones / Arenas. Normally, I'd have nothing to with 'em. However, there is always gear incentive. Such gear is almost always aesthetically pleasing and extremely powerful. Thus, I feel compelled to commit to the redundant grind of Battlegrounds - the same 5 or so maps... over and over again.

Let's imagine that the Developers decided to remove PvP Rewards from Battleground-like PvP. This means that folks would be participating in Battlegrounds for the love of Instanced PvP - no rewards or titles... just the experience.

If rewards were removed from BGs, what percentage of decline would you expect to see?

You are not "forced" into ANYTHING... That is all you and how you want to play, simple as that.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

Originally posted by inBOIL

Originally posted by nariusseldon

ever heard of games,where game itself is rewarding?

That, obviously, is NOT how it works with RPGs where progression is a big part. Tell me an example of a successful RPG where all progression (level, skills, items ..) is taken out .. and tell me how "rewarding" it is.