Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you believe in Extraterrestrial life?

Comments

• VercadesVercades Member Posts: 1,065

In a book or testimony somewhere.  I remember a man stating he was abducted from an alien space craft and, once in the craft the alien life forms where prepping for a surgical process.

The man realized what is going to take place and screamed,"You don't have the right to do this!"  Then one of the aliens looked at him and said, "Yes we do"

Lots of these sposed alien abductions have taken place on farms or near military bases.  Some cases have resulted in severe mutilations and in one case a man was burnt to a crisp. 

I believe this is a creation of extremely obsessive paranoid people that know how to cover their tracts and end up not in the slammer.

• firemagicfiremagic Member Posts: 878

Considering that there are over a million different species on this particular rockball alone I'd say the chances are extremely high that a similar series of chemical reactions have occurred on at least a few of the quadrillions upon quadrillions of other rockballs in our universe.

Originally posted by firemagic

Considering that there are over a million different species on this particular rockball alone I'd say the chances are extremely high that a similar series of chemical reactions have occurred on at least a few of the quadrillions upon quadrillions of other rockballs in our universe.

Maybe but maybe not, if you look at how unique our solar system is and what it takes to create life on this planet to this level odds aren't looking better in the far off universe. 

I believe our only chance of finding other intelligent life forms is solely dependent on the suns of the universe that cuts the wide variety life down a bit you think?

• BobCrazytonBobCrazyton Member UncommonPosts: 2,117

Lol check out this fruit...

www.ebaumsworld.com/ufoguy.html

The news station prolly paid the guy to say he could and has been for years so their ratings would go up.

• BobCrazytonBobCrazyton Member UncommonPosts: 2,117

I got abducted by aliens once.image

There were two of them and they were beaten the crap out of me!image I think they were demanding something but I couldn't speak mexican so I don't what they were saying.image

Originally posted by Vercades
    Maybe but maybe not, if you look at how unique our solar system is and what it takes to create life on this planet to this level odds aren't looking better in the far off universe.

I believe our only chance of finding other intelligent life forms is solely dependent on the suns of the universe that cuts the wide variety life down a bit you think?

I believe we have no chance at all of ever finding extra-terrestrial lifeforms - intelligent or otherwise, given the fact that we'd have to travel at the speed of light (299,800 km per second) for four years to even get to the next nearest star to the Sun. I'd say it's extremely likely the human race will be extinct well before we come anywhere near developing light-speed travel.

Anyway, get a decent perspective on the number of stars there are in the universe, then we can talk about how "unique" our solar system is. 

• RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253

I believe we have no chance at all of ever finding extra-terrestrial lifeforms - intelligent or otherwise, given the fact that we'd have to travel at the speed of light (299,800 km per second) for four years to even get to the next nearest star to the Sun. I'd say it's extremely likely the human race will be extinct well before we come anywhere near developing light-speed travel.

Anyway, get a decent perspective on the number of stars there are in the universe, then we can talk about how "unique" our solar system is. 

Ever get the feeling your one of about 4 people on the planet capable of using logic Atheist ?

I know I do image

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

Originally posted by Razorback
    Ever get the feeling your one of about 4 people on the planet capable of using logic Atheist ?
    I know I do image

Definitely one of about four people on this forum. I think this be redneck terr'try ::::18:: ::::02::

From looking in space at thousands of stars scientists have categorized a good many of them and learned of each type.  Some are massive super novas where the temperatures near that sun are intevaled by millions of degrees probably more.  Not sure anything like us could survive that much less anything else.

Some are just non existant or pulsars, white dwarfs, so to speak they only burst out light at specific times.  Watch the stars and you can see some of them flicker on and off at times.  Those types of suns range way in the negative temperatures.

Our type of sun is some where in the middle of those and our path is perfectly routed just for our species to thrive on.  Just looking at how much it'd take for this is a marvelous sight.  That's my general idea of the suns of the universe.

There's a whole book on these types of suns and its not hard to find these books quite interesting stuff.

• ChopesChopes Member Posts: 297

Originally posted by firemagic I believe we have no chance at all of ever finding extra-terrestrial lifeforms - intelligent or otherwise, given the fact that we'd have to travel at the speed of light (299,800 km per second) for four years to even get to the next nearest star to the Sun. I'd say it's extremely likely the human race will be extinct well before we come anywhere near developing light-speed travel.
    From looking in space at thousands of stars they've categorized a good many of them and learned of each type. Some are massive super novas where the temperatures near that sun are intevaled by millions of degrees probably more. Not sure anything like us could survive that much less anything else.
    Some are just non existant or pulsars, white dwarfs, so to speak they only burst out light at specific times. Watch the stars and you can see some of them flicker on and off at times. Those types of suns range way in the negative temperatures.
    Our type of sun is some where in the middle of those and our path is perfectly routed just for our species to thrive on. Just looking at how much it'd take for this is a marvelous sight. That's my general idea of the suns of the universe.
    There's a whole book on these types of suns and its not hard to find these books quite interesting stuff.

Space really isnt that big if you sit down and think about it, firstly right now there are two theories, one being that it expands on for ever, or it is oval shaped. How would we know when we reach the end. And when will we know if we made a wrong turn?

http://www.OriginNow.com
    Free File Hosting at Origin Now - 100 Megabyte Max Upload Per File

Originally posted by Chopes

Space really isnt that big if you sit down and think about it, firstly right now there are two theories, one being that it expands on for ever, or it is oval shaped. How would we know when we reach the end. And when will we know if we made a wrong turn?

It might not be possible to go in a straight line in space since gravity and other things in the way can cause travel in long distances to move in a enormous circle or depending on the travel.

To develop lightspeed travel might not be as difficult as it sounds since in space alot of rule need not apply all that needs to be discovered really is paths and a form of energy supply that would have to recycle itself or just never run out... maybe cold fusion?  Cold fusion seems to be going in a enormous circle I don't know if they will ever figured it out and if they do that'd be a HUGE step in technology.  But answering one question only opens more questions.

Only way to know is too explore whether it be from telescopes or space travel, the hubble space telescope has given magnificent images that are recently made but, according to an equation are pictures of ancient star systems.

Who knows, space is crazy. LOL

Originally posted by firemagic I believe we have no chance at all of ever finding extra-terrestrial lifeforms - intelligent or otherwise, given the fact that we'd have to travel at the speed of light (299,800 km per second) for four years to even get to the next nearest star to the Sun. I'd say it's extremely likely the human race will be extinct well before we come anywhere near developing light-speed travel.
    From looking in space at thousands of stars scientists have categorized a good many of them and learned of each type.  Some are massive super novas where the temperatures near that sun are intevaled by millions of degrees probably more.  Not sure anything like us could survive that much less anything else.
    Some are just non existant or pulsars, white dwarfs, so to speak they only burst out light at specific times.  Watch the stars and you can see some of them flicker on and off at times.  Those types of suns range way in the negative temperatures.
    Our type of sun is some where in the middle of those and our path is perfectly routed just for our species to thrive on.  Just looking at how much it'd take for this is a marvelous sight.  That's my general idea of the suns of the universe.

Astronomers estimate there are one hundred billion stars in our galaxy alone.

There are hundreds of billions of galaxies in the universe, each containing several billions of stars.

I believe those kind of odds not only allow for whatever complex and flukey chain-reactions cause life, they practically guarantee it.

You conveniently give examples of categories of stars that are obviously unlikely to invite life and omit to mention the trillions upon billions of stars that are similar to our Sun, so your argument is flawed.

• RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253

There are hundreds of billions of galaxies in the universe, each containing several billions of stars.

I believe those kind of odds not only allow for whatever complex and flukey chain-reactions cause life, they practically guarantee it.

You conveniently give examples of categories of stars that are obviously unlikely to invite life and omit to mention the trillions upon billions of stars that are similar to our Sun, so your argument is flawed.

Spot on.... in a nutshell.... 100% correct.... go to the top of the class

The maths says that the odds of us being the only life of any sort are incalculably slim

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

Scientists don't even know if the star systems exist, those pictures of ancient galaxies only tell of what was not what is.  The hubble space telescope is the only source that has found numerous galaxies when you look at the stars you only see the past.

It's not just the sun, lol look around at this planet if our planet can house life the requirements would be pretty much the same for elsewhere.  Life on Mars now is by far impossible, cept in controlled conditions.

The odds are incredibly massive both ways so its quite a daunting task to assume eitherway.  Only one planet in our galaxy was able to house life to this level, try and swallow those numbers.

It's not just the sun, lol look around at this planet if our planet can house life the requirements would be pretty much the same for elsewhere.

And look at the extremes in which life can survive in different areas of this planet alone - in tremendous heat and in sub-zero temperatures.

This shows us there's actually a wide range of environments in which life can exist, and what luck: There are trillions and trillions (imagine a number higher than any human will ever be capable of comprehending) of stars that could harbor that life.

When it comes down to it though, your guess is as good as mine. ::::28::

• BadhawkBadhawk Member Posts: 203

Life exists somewhere out there. It is not only foolish but incredibly selfish to assume we are the only living thing in this MASSIVE universe. Billions of stars in our galaxy, billions of galaxies. We have no clue how big the universe is, but even if the odds are 1 in 5 billion trillion that a planet can even support life, there are 100 billion more planets then that. It is just SELFISH to believe that we are the center of the universe and no intelligent life exists except us

Originally posted by Axala
    extraterrestrial life is a fact, nothing to believe or not believe. Evidence of amino acids have been found in our solar system alone. Take into account the universe and life exist out there somewhere; it is impossible for it to be any other way. Now intelligent extraterrestrial life is another matter. I personally believe that there is some sort of intelligent life other then ours; just because statistics again say that it is most likely true. Do I believe we have been visited? No, only wackos think that. Is it possible that at one point an alien life-form crashed, and maybe just maybe another came by to check it out and said "fuck this I am out of here" well maybe. But if ETs where visiting we would know it, or we wouldn't. There wouldn't be a select group of mentally unstable that where somehow able to pierce the ETs visage and see them for who they are and not the rest of us. That is fiction folk.

I'm not a wacko, a nut. I am a teenage kid living in suburban Daytona Beach, Florida, in a medium class household. I have friends, I have a life, I am not a nut. I have seen a UFO. It was not of this world, I promise you. One of my dad's very good friends dreamed she was abducted by UFOs. Guess what. She woke up and had a scar in her ankle. She got it x rayed, and guess what was there? A metal chip. HOW DARE YOU say that people who believe we are being visited are unstable and wackos. There was no reason for her to lie, infact I've seen the scar and everytime she tells the story she breaks down in tears. No reason for me to lie. I'm sure alot of people are wackos and "claim" to have seen a bright light or something. But for every 10 bullshit stories there is 1 genuine story. People dont have a tendancy to lie, and people who say they have seen something should not be just passed off as another nut.

Originally posted by Badhawk
    extraterrestrial life is a fact, nothing to believe or not believe. Evidence of amino acids have been found in our solar system alone. Take into account the universe and life exist out there somewhere; it is impossible for it to be any other way. Now intelligent extraterrestrial life is another matter. I personally believe that there is some sort of intelligent life other then ours; just because statistics again say that it is most likely true. Do I believe we have been visited? No, only wackos think that. Is it possible that at one point an alien life-form crashed, and maybe just maybe another came by to check it out and said "fuck this I am out of here" well maybe. But if ETs where visiting we would know it, or we wouldn't. There wouldn't be a select group of mentally unstable that where somehow able to pierce the ETs visage and see them for who they are and not the rest of us. That is fiction folk.

I'm not a wacko, a nut. I am a teenage kid living in suburban Daytona Beach, Florida, in a medium class household. I have friends, I have a life, I am not a nut. I have seen a UFO. It was not of this world, I promise you. One of my dad's very good friends dreamed she was abducted by UFOs. Guess what. She woke up and had a scar in her ankle. She got it x rayed, and guess what was there? A metal chip. HOW DARE YOU say that people who believe we are being visited are unstable and wackos. There was no reason for her to lie, infact I've seen the scar and everytime she tells the story she breaks down in tears. No reason for me to lie. I'm sure alot of people are wackos and "claim" to have seen a bright light or something. But for every 10 bullshit stories there is 1 genuine story. People dont have a tendancy to lie, and people who say they have seen something should not be just passed off as another nut.

You may think this but in reality you have tricked your mind into thinking this a truth. You subconsiously know what you saw was not a UFO but after telling people you have taken it as a fact, and now subconsiously you really do belive that you have seen a UFO. Something that may fix this is gargling salt water, then quickly downing a carbonated beverage.

You may think this but in reality you have tricked your mind into thinking this a truth. You subconsiously know what you saw was not a UFO but after telling people you have taken it as a fact, and now subconsiously you really do belive that you have seen a UFO. Something that may fix this is gargling salt water, then quickly downing a carbonated beverage.

I was in Breckenridge Colorado with my family. It was dark out. Somebody pointed out 3 lights, a red, blue and a white light in a triangle formation. You could faintly see the whole thing and it was solid. There was a light on the outside of it that moved into the middle of the 3 lights and then dissapeared. The 3 lights then streaked across the sky. I was not the only one who saw it, a few other people looking at the sky saw it at the same time. It was not human I can tell you that. I didn't "trick" my mind into it or anything. I know what I saw. Also, how would you explain my dad's very good friend dreaming she got abducted and waking up with a metal chip in her ankle? I'd like to hear a reasonable explanation for that one too.

I was in Breckenridge Colorado with my family. It was dark out. Somebody pointed out 3 lights, a red, blue and a white light in a triangle formation. You could faintly see the whole thing and it was solid. There was a light on the outside of it that moved into the middle of the 3 lights and then dissapeared. The 3 lights then streaked across the sky. I was not the only one who saw it, a few other people looking at the sky saw it at the same time. It was not human I can tell you that. I didn't "trick" my mind into it or anything. I know what I saw. Also, how would you explain my dad's very good friend dreaming she got abducted and waking up with a metal chip in her ankle? I'd like to hear a reasonable explanation for that one too.

Well two things seem to be wrong with your story, if you see any professional in pyscology, they will tell you, people's memory of an event slowly weaken over time, the amount of information that you gave me tells me that you really didn't see anything, and you are making this up. If you would like to prove me wrong provide a picture of the ankle and I will appologise to you for the misunderstanding, but until then. My opinion would be that your story isn't truthfull.

I wonder which one of these has life in them.

http://grin.hq.nasa.gov/IMAGES/SMALL/GPN-2000-000930.jpg

• GeeManGeeMan Member Posts: 16

Well, there may be 5 billion+ people on this planet alone, and there a nine planets in this solar system. This alone is a small dot in a very large galaxy. Which in itself is a small dot in the Universe.

It'd seem really strange if we were alone in the universe...image

• GeeManGeeMan Member Posts: 16

imageimageimageimageimageimageGaahh!!!! Was i right or was i wrong? I am clueless. I first said yes, but now I've got no clue!imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

I have decided: I won't believe until i see? Or will I? I continue to boggle my own mind with questions mpossible to answer yet can be answered without words...imageimageimageimage

• DarkmastershDarkmastersh Member Posts: 205

I DO believe in extraterrastial life

I DO NOT believe in UFOs, y´ know, green martians traveling in flying dishes....thats BS. I mean, who believes in that cr@p?

Well two things seem to be wrong with your story, if you see any professional in pyscology, they will tell you, people's memory of an event slowly weaken over time, the amount of information that you gave me tells me that you really didn't see anything, and you are making this up. If you would like to prove me wrong provide a picture of the ankle and I will appologise to you for the misunderstanding, but until then. My opinion would be that your story isn't truthfull.

Lying makes me much cooler over the intrawebs!!

Seriously, why would I lie about it? I saw it, other people saw it.