Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

something similar to AO

willo248willo248 Member Posts: 346

Recently I've found myself day dreaming about my old fave game AO I want to go back to it but i'm not sure because I heard server population was low (can anyone confirm this?)

I was wondering if theres anything sci fi with that level of depth, progression and polish?

What I also really miss is the kind of wilderness feel when your in a random province, and the ability to explore and get comopletely lost :p

Comments

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

I wish their was a game similar to AO too.  I played the game for 3 years straight.  Loved the sci-fi theme and the depth of AO.

• inBOILinBOIL Member Posts: 669

i have searched a lot and nada.

if someone finds one,PST.

Generation P

• WarzodWarzod Member RarePosts: 495

Unfortunately not. AO was a rare gem in the sea of MMO garbage that got swept under the rug because the market, at the time, was too stuck on elves and orcs to notice. Now that gamers are looking for a good sci-fi MMO anything released is a sad shadow of AOs innovation. I have heard that Neocron 2. now in its second version, has some merit but I have not played it in years. I played the original which was funny as it was almost a carbon copy of AO. Might check them out.

• willo248willo248 Member Posts: 346

Originally posted by Aguitha

I wish their was a game similar to AO too.  I played the game for 3 years straight.  Loved the sci-fi theme and the depth of AO.

Just been watching wvideos of places I used to train and borealis (getting all nostalgic)

I really want to know if the servers are actually dead as people say...

Also what about Face of mankind whats that all about?

• Jackal-79Jackal-79 Member UncommonPosts: 55

Only one way too find out really :) , Download the small client, With AO being Global people come and go at all times.

Best to try it out again for a day or two. Id really love to go back to this game also but i just dont have the time :( Funcom if your reading pls scrap Secret world and make AO2 already ! and whilst your making it upgrade the damn engine for AO.

• inBOILinBOIL Member Posts: 669

i tried FoM and it was about 1 hour experience and i was like mini buu,and uninstalled.

i tried Entropia and it was about 2 days experience  and i was like mini gee,and its still installed and i will try to continue someday.

and i still have some hopes for Earthrise,waiting trial.

Generation P

• elthznd901elthznd901 Member UncommonPosts: 44

Try Fallen Earth.. not exactly like AO, but based in the future and a great game.

• russ1struss1st Member Posts: 47

And AO will be Atlantica Online or Allods Online? or somethng else ?

• fenring101fenring101 Member UncommonPosts: 80

Anarchy Online I beleive, or they wouldnt have mentioned funcom. good game, very complex but a bit dated now

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

Originally posted by elthznd901

Try Fallen Earth.. not exactly like AO, but based in the future and a great game.

yeah this was my first thought. Skill system is practically the same as well.

Originally posted by russ1st

And AO will be Atlantica Online or Allods Online? or somethng else ?

Ye Anrchy online..

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

EVE is AO... in spaaaaaaace.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• axylfyreaxylfyre Member Posts: 33

You might try Age of Armor.  It's fun, but hard to find other players.

• PalaPala Member UncommonPosts: 355

AO was my first MMO and havent found anything better since, tried almost all :((  Fallen Earth is a singleplayer game otherwise its not bad

• WarzodWarzod Member RarePosts: 495

Originally posted by Pala

AO was my first MMO and havent found anything better since, tried almost all :((  Fallen Earth is a singleplayer game otherwise its not bad

Wanted to qualify this person's post before anyone jumps on him actually thinking he was serious about the single player thing. FE is an MMO however... he is absolutely correct in that you will be soloing 99.9% of your life because there is zero group dynamic in that game. Everyone plays fairly similar cookie-cutter soloable builds and then never groups with anyone until end game where everyone runs around in the PvP zones pwning one another. If you are looking for socialization and group interdependancy then FE is not for you. If you are looking for Fallout with a global chat channel full of inane spam, then... maybe.

As for Face of Mankind, tried it for about an hour like the previous gentleman. Enjoyed the tutorial and then walked out of it right into a gank squad. I wasn't out 3 minutes before I was killed. Second death occured about 5 minutes after that. Unistallation about 30 seconds after that. There is open PvP and then there is complete lack of support for the new player experience.

I tried FE for 2 months a while back, the lack of grouping was my main gripe. With AO grouping was necessary from a very early level. Some of my fondest mmo memories was just getting of the noob island outside Rome. We grouped up and went into the subway  :P God it was good

• sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 684

I've been hoping something would come out some day to be the next Anarchy Online. Nothing quite like it has come out since.

• CayllCayll Member UncommonPosts: 55

Anarchy Online is not completely dead, however, you may want to make a Clan character as the Clan population seems to be a little more active.

I still play to this day, and I haven't had a problem finding groups to level with.

• HypseosHypseos Member Posts: 1

I'm playing AO right now. On RK2.

The population is real low compared to 5 years ago and seems to be dropping slowly all the time. But that said there is still plenty people about to make the game playable. The communication bots and iirc relays mean that despite the low population there is a stronger community than you will find in most other games. I don't think the game will ever actualy die because I know so many people you love it and will keep playing no matter what.There is also a complete rebalancing patch and new graphics engine in the works that will likely be followed by a big promotion push.

Personaly I hate most of the games features (or lack of them) but year after year I resubscribe just because the community is so good. If your interest is pvm/e then I think you will have fun but if you want pvp it will be a real disapointment.