Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a honest opinion of the game

2»

Comments

• TheShimmersTheShimmers Member Posts: 76

My honest opinion of the game is that if it was released as a single player super hero game that it would have been the best selling super hero game ever. The game is a lot of fun. In fact I still get urges to play it. The problem is that the content doesn't warrent the fee. If you are set on playing it though I would say find it for under 29.99, play it for a month, and drop it. It's worth playing for a month, but no longer than that.

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Originally posted by code12

I find it amusing that you mention how repetitive the game is, and then compare it to CoH/CoV.... If you would have played atleast 1 character from lvl 1-50 in city of heroes you would know it's the most repetitive mmo out there. While you are correct and the customization in CO and CoH/CoV is much more detailed than DCUO .... I would MUCH rather repeat the quests/missions in DCUO than the ones I repeated over and over in CoH (and yes since going rogue came out.)

I had planned last week to buy DCUO yesterday.

We know the monthly release thing was a ridiculous promise to make and with the SOE closings/firings. Safe to say the plan is dead in the water. An update (besides holidate toggle bs) every 2 months would be no less than a shock to me.

I won't be buying DCUO because everyone that I've ever seen discuss the game talks about how repetitive it is.

I quoted the post above because I was on a 7 day CoH trial because I wanted to see if a superhero game could be for me... while I decided I could like the setting CoH was repetitive by level 13. Of course that would be without expansion content.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• zimmy910zimmy910 Member UncommonPosts: 190

Originally posted by TheShimmers
    My honest opinion of the game is that if it was released as a single player super hero game that it would have been the best selling super hero game ever. The game is a lot of fun. In fact I still get urges to play it. The problem is that the content doesn't warrent the fee. If you are set on playing it though I would say find it for under 29.99, play it for a month, and drop it. It's worth playing for a month, but no longer than that.

Yes this has been exactly my experience. Towards the end of the free month and reacing 30, I didn't have any inclination to log in again. Did have a lot of fun going from 1 - 30 though.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

I guess SOE took a big fat gamble on this game, they took a large chunk of developers from SWG and is led by Blixtev (yech! he made horrible decisions in SWG), oh well maybe people don't want a shallow arcade-ish MMO after all?

• LorandoLorando Member Posts: 3

Don't get me wrong it's a great game, just lack of Content, and it doesn't really get repetitive once you almost have your T1 gear and griding those end game instances everyday. I honestly believe that the game will be better for those players that will start later after a few months if SOE do keep their monthly update promise and if the servers are still populated.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by Lorando

Don't get me wrong it's a great game, just lack of Content, and it doesn't really get repetitive once you almost have your T1 gear and griding those end game instances everyday. I honestly believe that the game will be better for those players that will start later after a few months if SOE do keep their monthly update promise and if the servers are still populated.

Casual players can get to the T1 area of playing in the first free month without even trying.  The semi-monthly content updates add a couple of hours of content at best.  Even then most of the "new" content is just reshuffling existing areas of the game with existing DC characters. 

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by sookster54

I guess SOE took a big fat gamble on this game, they took a large chunk of developers from SWG and is led by Blixtev (yech! he made horrible decisions in SWG), oh well maybe people don't want a shallow arcade-ish MMO after all?

Yeah, I think DCUO is nothing more than the NGE that SHOULD have been. While SWG players discounted the NGE in mass, SOE knew better. DCUO is NGE 2.0. Fast paced, actiony MMO gameplay. None of that boring waiting around, no leveling to speak of, super fast travel, no boring crafting or any such thing. DCUO, IMO, turned out EXACTLY as SOE envisioned it.

• s1fu71s1fu71 Member Posts: 220

As the title states, I'm looking for an honest opinion on the game. To explain what I mean, if anyone thinks the game is perfect then I dont even want to hear what you have to say. No game is perfect, and anyone who thinks that is blinded by their own fandom. I'm looking for an opinion that acknowledges both the good and bad aspects of the game and weighs the two. What do you like? What do you dislike? Do you see the things you dislike being improved? Thanks for your thoughts!

I very much enjoy the game. That being said, let me explain why.

1) I already play a serious game. (Eve online) DCUO is the opposite for me. When I want to just have fun "right now", I play DC. It's a great casual game to just log into and have fun straight away. Not much in the way of plans needed.

2) From the perspective of PVE, I love it. I'm not into PVP very often. Eve fills that role for me.

3) I like super hero games. Yes, I wish there were more powers in the game. Currently, each power has two trees to invest in. The travel powers sort of have two trees. (Split into enhancing the travel power, itself; OR investing in offensive abilities involving the travel power you choose.) There's a decent amount of weapons to choose from, but I do hope they add more in the future.

4) I get the most of my enjoyment from the Mentor specific missions. Grouping up for alerts (RAIDS) and arena fights can be fun, but like any PUG, you don't usually know the people involved.

5) I enjoy the combat. It's not like any game I've played before. (In regards to the combat.) It's very action oriented. I find that skill means a bit more than the gear that you're wearing. You have to know when to block, or roll away. I'm sure there might be other games out there with similar mechanics, I've just not played them.

6) The UI: It can be frustrating. Bringing up various menu's can be a pain. Chatting with people, by way of typing, can be a pain while in a group. I'm not set up to use voice chat.

That's all I can think of, off the top of my head. I play every day and still have fun. I've been playing since beta.

Are things improving? They have improved aspects of the UI, but there's always room for improvement. They've added a bit more content. (But, it's not a lot if you're anything other than a casual player.)

Alts can be boring at times. Many of the missions are common no matter what Mentor you choose. But, I do still have fun finding different combinations of weapons paired with certain powers. (I try to fill, what I feel is a gap. In other words, if my power seems to be mostly close range, I try to pair it with a weapon that is long range.)

If I feel the need for more depth and planning, I play Eve. So, at the moment, I feel like I have the best of both worlds that I like.

It's not about fighting, it's about balance. It's not about enlightenment, it's about balance. It's not about balance.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

It is a good game but it is not worthy of a monthly fee because the game lacks real sizeable mmo content. It plays more like an online rpg than a mmo.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by TUX426

Originally posted by sookster54
    Yeah, I think DCUO is nothing more than the NGE that SHOULD have been. While SWG players discounted the NGE in mass, SOE knew better. DCUO is NGE 2.0. Fast paced, actiony MMO gameplay. None of that boring waiting around, no leveling to speak of, super fast travel, no boring crafting or any such thing. DCUO, IMO, turned out EXACTLY as SOE envisioned it.

Perhaps this is what SOE wanted indeed, but it's taking away the purpose of an "MMO", people liked the pre-NGE SWG because you could get involved with the game and have a social side, actiony games aren't very social and can get repetitive very quickly- I guess it benefits those with severe ADHD and those that live on Red Bull.

• FreeJack2000FreeJack2000 Member Posts: 28

I wasn'nt going to post here because I gave my honest opinion in another thread, but nothing has changed so gere you go.

I purchased DC Universe, having not seen it in action, in beta etc.   HUGE mistake.  I didnt realize the User Interface was the same as a CONSOLE game.  The Chat was not user friendly. And the fact that I was told in the DC Forums that I needed to play the game using a CONTROLLER.  I only ever pick up a controller to play Halo, Crysis. Not in an MMO.  In an MMO, I want to click on a person, and send them a tell. I want to type /zone, Area, etc to speak with others in zone. 

The combat in DCUO is pretty great, even though you only have one bar, and can't put you damn Soda in the slot that you want, and you attack a barrel or fire hydrant instead of the target you want to hit.  And again, when you say something in the DC forums, your told to,  " Learn to Play" , " This isnt your old man MMO", and  "If you don't like it, just leave, Canz I has yor Stuff"

Im an MMO fan, haven't played many that I didnt like at least something ( Even subed RF Online for a time) .  And I don't think theres such a thing as a bad MMO, everyone likes something different.  However, that being said, I will never purchase another 3 month sub for a game I was stupid and did'nt read up on first.  DC Universe Online is a CONSOLE game that wants to be an MMO.  And for the life of me, I do not understand why SOE would make PC users adhere to a console style UI, when they dont even play on the same servers

As I said before, I don't think there is a bad MMO, all of us are looking for something different in a pastime. Hoewever, if you are an MMO player and have thought about picking up DCUO while you wait for another MMO to go live. Theres a few things you should kow bout this MMO, before you plop down the cash for the game and for the LEgacy pricing, or even god forbid, a lifetime sub.

1. The UI is not user friendly, unless you plan on using a Controller.

2. The character creation portion is very lackluster, if you are used to game like Star Trek Online, SWG, Champions or  City of Heros.

2. The chat system, even though they just updated it, is still not good if you like to chat with folks.

3.  The community in the DC forums don't tend to be very helpful when it comes to any changes you would like to see.

5. And, except for possibly 2 servers, the rest are barren to a point that if you crete a new toon on one of these 2 servers, you are mostly alone brecause the folks that are already on the server have long ago moved to higher level stuff. Why play an MMO alone? You might as well break out Batman: Arkym Asylum.

These are just my opinions, and you know what they say about opinions.

MorBlade

• JediConsularJediConsular Member Posts: 51

Originally posted by Arglebargle

"If you like console style combat with lots of combos to memorize, then you'll like this game.  If you don't mind content being more repetitive and less of a virtual world than most MMOs, then you will like this game.  If you don't mind a distinct lack in character creation customization with very strict and narrowly focused classes, then you will like this game.  If you don't mind an interface that cannot be customized to your taste and being locked into mouse look mode with no ability to play in mouse pointer mode during combat, then you will like this game.  If you prefer gamepads, you will like this game."

What this guy said.    Not every style will appeal to every player.  

Character customization and GUI are real important to me, and pretty much assured me that I would pass on DCUO.   Being more a fan of independent comics, the DC connection is not a huge draw.  I don't care for clicky, combo ridden combat, and don't use a controller.   The game played fast and loose with genre convention.  It handled ingame communication poorly.  Those are a bunch of reasons I left after beta, and am pretty un-interested in the game. 

For me, it's one of those games I would probably not play if it were available free. 

I would have to agree with everything these two touched upon!

I would also add that for me, there is just not enough content and variation to justify SOE charging a monthly fee for this. I just don't see a lot here that separates this game from just about any other mulitplayer console or pc game that lacks a monthly fee.

I left for that reason and while I l-o-v-e the DC Universe, I was extemely disappointed with this game.  I would come back if they fixed the horrible UI and considered at least reducing the monthly fee or doing away with it alogether until further down the road ala FF XIV.

As it stands now, there's no way you can convince me this game is worth $14.99/month compared to the competition. And I'm a huge fan of DC, if that says anything.

My text is green because my posts are created with Willpower!