Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The true WoW killer will be...

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by kinido

2012 will defeat WoW. 

/thread 

I don't think so. Sure, it will continue to bleed subs in the west but it still goes really well in Chine and pretty fine in South Korea.

Wow will have over a million players for the next 3 years at least. After Titan releases anything can happen but until that will Wow at least be one of the 5 largests MMOs (not counting F2P games since they tend to count everyone that ever made an account).

2015 maybe...

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

If Blizzard keeps dumbing down content they will kill it themselves.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by kinido

2012 will defeat WoW. 

/thread 

I don't think so. Sure, it will continue to bleed subs in the west but it still goes really well in Chine and pretty fine in South Korea.

Wow will have over a million players for the next 3 years at least. After Titan releases anything can happen but until that will Wow at least be one of the 5 largests MMOs (not counting F2P games since they tend to count everyone that ever made an account).

2015 maybe...

I think Kinido was referring to the predicted 2012 apocalypse :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_phenomenon

Sorry, I did not read entire thread, so I do not know if this was said.  Honestly, in my humble opinion, the only thing that will kill WoW is Blizzard, or the aforementioned apocalypse.  Blizzard has created a monster here, and only they are capable of bringing it down.  They made the ultimate raid boss and it's just them that know all the tricks to killing it.  It's funny for me to think that a game could lose millions of subscibers over the next few years, and still have millions more possibly.  I don't see them discontinuing service for the game any time soon, even after 'Titan' is released.  Everything must come to end eventually though!

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

The US Economy will certainly help kill WoW.  There's only so far one can get on $5/gallon of gas and minimization of entitlement healthcare will chip away at the free-loaders wallet.  I wonder how much of my welfare contribution goes to Blizzard :)

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Worstluck

Sorry, I did not read entire thread, so I do not know if this was said.  Honestly, in my humble opinion, the only thing that will kill WoW is Blizzard, or the aforementioned apocalypse.  Blizzard has created a monster here, and only they are capable of bringing it down.  They made the ultimate raid boss and only they know all the tricks to killing it.  It's funny for me to think that a game could lose millions of subscibers of the next few years, and still have millions more possibly.  I don't see them discontinuing service for the game any time soon, even after 'Titan' is released.  Everything must come to end eventually though!

The upcommin apocalypse is a big load of bull. People have always belived that the world will end soon for one or another silly reason. 

But yes, I don't see Wow go down anytime in the next 8 years either. That it can loose millions of players in a few years is far from impossible, It depends on how well future games will go, how well Blizz themselves takes care of the game and if something bad happens to them in China again...

They did in fact loose several million players in a single day last time the Chinese goverment closed them down, we can't be sure that wont happen again. It is not something we should bet money on but it is not unlikely.

My guess is that Wow will continue to bleed western players and get more players in China for the next 2 years, after that it will be so ancient it will start to drop but it all depends on how well games like TOR, GW2, WoDO, Titan and the rest of the upcomming games go. Maybe every single of them fails and Blizzard will be forced to truly upgrade the engine to look modern instead and the game gets another 5 or 10 years, it is not likely but it can happen as well.

I say it will have over a million players for the next 3 years since it is a pretty safe bet but after that it will be 10 years old and many of the next MMO generation will feel it is tainted with the uncoolness something the kids parents like. 

That is the reason no computer game can last forever, few young people want to do exactly what their parents does, at least not when they reach the teens. And people who played Wow since launch have slowly been bleeding out for a long time.

Nothing lasts forever, even if I think it is likely that Wow will be the largest MMO success past and future.

• tyorketyorke Member Posts: 46

i dont play wow but it came out in a perfect time 

so none mmo will ever kill wow

maybe silkroad 2 will.

< Thank god I am atheist

• Xero_ChanceXero_Chance Member Posts: 519

Originally posted by tyorke
    i dont play wow but it came out in a perfect time 
    so none mmo will ever kill wow
    maybe silkroad 2 will.

Gold sellers will kill Silkroad 2 the same way they killed the original because Joymax doesn't give a...

Silkroad was a great game in pure mechanics and concept but is absolutely unplayable because of gold sellers and bots. Joymax refuses to do squat, probably because the gold sellers all buy passes to bypass the impossible server queue of over 1000 hours. As long as they make money, they don't care if they have a playable game at all. Screw Joymax, I hope they never make Silkroad 2, and I hope their headquarters burn in a fire. I will personally be there to relieve myself on the ashes.
    (with no loss of human life of course, I may be angry but I am not murderous)

Sorry for the off-topic post and angry language, I just needed to get that off my chest.

• garrygarry Member Posts: 263

I doubt that any other game type than fantasy will actually 'kill' WOW. Massive numbers leaving WOW as well as new players going to another fantasy game is the only way WOW 'fails' and gets beaten down. You need to remember that while a lot of people like both fantasy and sci-fi as well as lesser known (niche) genres it seems from actual subscription evidence that largest numbers of these people who play have preferences for one or the other. Large (have to be massively large) numbers of fantasy oriented players leaving WOW for another fantasy game? Possible. Those numbers (including new players) going from fantasy to an alternate genre? So far it hasn't even come close and the new fantasy offerings haven't succeeded yet either.

I am curious why so many posters want WOW to fail more than they want their alternate game to succeed. Human nature I suppose. If 'I' can't win then I want you to fail too. Oh well.

• GalaxoGalaxo Member UncommonPosts: 389

Chuck Norris is the wow killer :))

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

WoW killer will be the guy who can unpluck all wow servers, and only that :P

If WoW ever dies, lets hope it dies with a bang, not slowly fade into nothingness

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• ZolgarZolgar Member Posts: 533

Now that I think about it, WoW could last another decade or so. All that needs to happen is for Blizzard to release a WoW "2". Engine upgrades, and add some sort of "dynamic" systems to replace the old ones. Warcraft is a major IP and I don't see Blizzard letting it just fade away or replacing it with a new IP.

0118 999 881 999 119 725... 3

• ntstlkrntstlkr Member Posts: 65

Lots of scantily clad or naked women ready to get it on RIGHT NOW....

But then again they probably wouldn't have anything to do with a WoW player anyways. Back to the drawing boards... :(

"Heart grow stronger, Will becomes firm, the Mind more calm, as our Strength lessens..." Battle of Maldon 991 AD

• Scripture1Scripture1 Member UncommonPosts: 421

Originally posted by -Zeno-

Shadowbane 2

Why?  Because developers have to think different to beat the most watered down EQ clone on the market.  If they don't they will not bring down the beast.

How long before this happens?  Possibly never.  To much quick money to be made as it takes time for people to actually learn their lesson.  Who cares about longevity anyway, right?

In the words of past expressions I hate the "WoW killer" posts so much. If i had a dollar for how many of these kinds of posts there are I would tell my boss that I resign effective immediately.

There is no such thing as a WoW killer, the thought is a nice one for all those who are are in a blood lust over the way the game has evolved but it aint gonna happen.

I'm not saying WoW is immortal, what I am saying is there is no game out there that's going to "kill" it. If and when WoW does die it will be because blizz allow it to and thats it. Do you honestly think with the revenue they pulled in and are still pulling in that they can't do something with the game that will shock the masses? C'mon think about it a sec.

Lets say that a game is actually created that killed WoW.... who  would you say will be the developer? 9/10 I would say that's blizzard, hands down. So really it wouldn't die but only created a transition imo.

I stopped playing WoW about 4-5 months ago so to me it's dead because I lost interest, but it's more than alive to all the millions that still play on a daily basis. I'm playing Aion now and not because it's better than WoW but just because it has a different "flavor".

Stop trying to kick against the brick wall.

• Scripture1Scripture1 Member UncommonPosts: 421

Originally posted by Robokapp

Originally posted by Scambug

WoW is already dead...

that makes it immortal...

This.......

• fixiffixif Member UncommonPosts: 180

Originally posted by Zolgar

Originally posted by fixif

GW2 has the same payment model (buy to play), and the same lore as GW1, but that's it. It has more and new races. Same encounters? What? It's almost as if you haven't read up on GW2 at all. I mean aside from name and lore, it's practically nothing like the first. Not saying it's going to be good, I haven't played obviously, but you're information is way off.

Tank-spank anyone? It has to be revoutionary to make any dent in WoW. But it is not. Same old spells, classes, races, mechanics. I am not comparing it to GW1, I am comparing it with general fantasy MMO characteristics. I don't know how to make it more clearer than that.

So, you're saying that TOR will attract new people to MMO's, and some of them won't stick with it. Then they'll move onto WoW? Why? If someone waited for TOR, a sci-fi MMO, to jump into MMO gaming, why would they move to WoW if they don't like it?

So you seriosuly believe that people that will flock to it won't try anything else than STWOR? Bad argument is bad.

Why? Because you don't like Warhammer? The Warhammer(40k) IP has built up a massive fanbase over the the last couple of decades. If this game comes out polished, and hit's the look and feel of Warhammer 40k, you can bet that it's going to pull in a ton of subs.

They had that same playerbase/fanbase when first WAR MMO came out. Aside that it was prematurely released you can't really blame relatively ad response on that. It just isn't THAT popular.

It is doing something huge. Story focused game play and full voice acting. Is that enough to keep players? Again, I haven't played so I don't know. But if it offers great gameplay, with great story, voice acting, as well as great team based gameplay, it'll be a huge hit, regardless of the SW IP.

You literally can't know anything of that. Biowares budget for this is enormous so they better make it work. But voice-over are not so important feature of an MMO. Sure it enhances the gameplay but everyone knows what really counts. And that is NOT voice-over acting. There are two sides to story driven game play. Developers said you won't really need to group with anyone and you can do everything by yourself. Some say that could e a potential killer of STWOR because noone wants to pay for online solo role playing game. By the video I've seen so far I am not exactly impressed. Again tank/dps/heal holy trio. TBH dungeon combat looked pretty boring but that just my opinion which is just subjective. As is yours. When they release it, than we can talk about things like that. If one would take SW IP out of the equation, it would be just another MMO. Fact.

I don't see how it was a disaster for casual gamers. The time to level was drastically reduced. End game is still the same old, Normals > Heroics > 10 mans > 25 mans, or PvP grind for gear, and while those may take some time that people with limited amounts of time to play may not be able to do easily, Cataclysm didn't change that. They made Heroics harder, but even still, after a while people will be steam rolling through them.

Won't even respond to that. You either don't play WoW or you just don't read forums etc.

Honestly, I feel that WoW's subs were a fluke. I highly doubt that we will ever see 13 million subscribers to a game again. Or at least not for a very long time. Now, if Blizzard can do it again with another game, I will take my statement back and give them credit for just making super near perfect amazing flawless games.

They did awesome job with WoW. While all of the features already existed somewhere, they've put them together to make it work better. Downside is that WoW was first MMO to many and when you try any other MMO it just feels old. MMOs still stick to the tank/heal/dps trio and raiding/farming superior gear. Why would one exange WoW for exact same thing? If someone doesn't make absolutely revolutionary MMO as WoW was back in the days (wow hater: BUT IT WASNT BLA BLA BLA) WoW will stay on that throne for a long, long time. If you exclude China/Korea/Taiwan subs you get about 4-5 million players. Second most popular MMO in the west has what? About 400k? So 10% of WoWs? What should one MMO do to make that percentage go NUTS? Do you see what I'm getting at?

• ZsavoozZsavooz Member Posts: 532

Originally posted by Gyrus

None of you have been paying attention.

The WoW 'killer' WAS Farm Town on Facebook.

Already happened.

(oh and before you argue that it does not qualify as an MMO - check the MMOs MMORPG.com lists.  TravianEvony? They are less MMO than Farm Town.)

haha! I like Cityville better. Moo!

• KyBoKyBo Member UncommonPosts: 140

No single game is going kill WoW, period.  It's clear that no major game company is willing to innovate far enough away from Blizzard’s now industry-standard blueprint to cause millions of gamers to gravitate to their titles.  ToR is not going to do it.  BW has been making various additions and changes to differentiate the game from the WoW comparisons, but the evidence is already there. The amount of hype and support behind upcoming games like ToR and GW2 is pretty high, but so was the amount of hype behind games like AoC and WAR, neither of which are even considered successes at this point. WoW players have consistently proven that even when "the next big game" launches, they'll go check it out, but the majority of them will wind up back on WoW in a few months.  Why start all over again on a new game that plays like WoW when players already have characters on WoW that they've invested years building up?  Smaller games, such as EVE, have made innovations and new experiences for players, and have found success, but nothing like what Blizzard has.  No game since WoW’s launch has managed to come close to Blizzard’s monster.  

In the end, only a combination of things will take down WoW.  It will take a group of games that are at least somewhat innovative, while being entertaining and enjoyable, to chip away at WoW’s player base.  It would also take major mistakes by Blizzard in the management of WoW to drive a substantial portion of their subscribers away.  Lastly, the passage of time will be a factor.  Rome wasn’t burned in a day, and neither will Azeroth.  Slowly, more and more players will go looking for something new, and as more games offer at least something a little different from WoW, the subscription rate will slowly fall until it is on the same level with other, smaller but successful MMO’s.       

• SniperpcwSniperpcw Member Posts: 20

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by Worstluck

Sorry, I did not read entire thread, so I do not know if this was said.  Honestly, in my humble opinion, the only thing that will kill WoW is Blizzard, or the aforementioned apocalypse.  Blizzard has created a monster here, and only they are capable of bringing it down.  They made the ultimate raid boss and only they know all the tricks to killing it.  It's funny for me to think that a game could lose millions of subscibers of the next few years, and still have millions more possibly.  I don't see them discontinuing service for the game any time soon, even after 'Titan' is released.  Everything must come to end eventually though!

The upcommin apocalypse is a big load of bull. People have always belived that the world will end soon for one or another silly reason. 

But yes, I don't see Wow go down anytime in the next 8 years either. That it can loose millions of players in a few years is far from impossible, It depends on how well future games will go, how well Blizz themselves takes care of the game and if something bad happens to them in China again...

They did in fact loose several million players in a single day last time the Chinese goverment closed them down, we can't be sure that wont happen again. It is not something we should bet money on but it is not unlikely.

My guess is that Wow will continue to bleed western players and get more players in China for the next 2 years, after that it will be so ancient it will start to drop but it all depends on how well games like TOR, GW2, WoDO, Titan and the rest of the upcomming games go. Maybe every single of them fails and Blizzard will be forced to truly upgrade the engine to look modern instead and the game gets another 5 or 10 years, it is not likely but it can happen as well.

I say it will have over a million players for the next 3 years since it is a pretty safe bet but after that it will be 10 years old and many of the next MMO generation will feel it is tainted with the uncoolness something the kids parents like. 

That is the reason no computer game can last forever, few young people want to do exactly what their parents does, at least not when they reach the teens. And people who played Wow since launch have slowly been bleeding out for a long time.

Nothing lasts forever, even if I think it is likely that Wow will be the largest MMO success past and future.

lol we know it's a load of bull, I'm assuming he meant sarcasm there when he mentioned 2012 ending WoW :P

• King_KumquatKing_Kumquat Member Posts: 492

The true WoW Killer WILL BE!!!!!

http://watchplayread.com/files/2011/01/WilfordBrimley.png

Will develop an original MMORPG title for money.
  • MilkopilkoMilkopilko Member Posts: 28

Hopefully guild wars 2 kills it, but not by stabbing it in the face suddenly (ie most people migrate from wow to guild wars 2 at release), but by slowly smothering and strangling it. Everyone slowly spreading the word/realising that all of wow's flaws are fixed in guild wars 2.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by Milkopilko

Hopefully guild wars 2 kills it, but not by stabbing it in the face suddenly (ie most people migrate from wow to guild wars 2 at release), but by slowly smothering and strangling it. Everyone slowly spreading the word/realising that all of wow's flaws are fixed in guild wars 2.

You must be quite the fan considering we know very little about that game.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827

Originally posted by -Zeno-

Shadowbane 2

Why?  Because developers have to think different to beat the most watered down EQ clone on the market.  If they don't they will not bring down the beast.

How long before this happens?  Possibly never.  To much quick money to be made as it takes time for people to actually learn their lesson.  Who cares about longevity anyway, right?

I would love to see shadowbane 2 but your comepletely wrong and its a silly topic at best.

Hoping for something unrealistic and never gonne happen yeh right.

Are you a troll or dead serieus lol.

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Originally posted by stayontarget

I know you aren't following it so you must mean YOU know very little about it.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/view/forums/thread/287180/Everything-We-Know-about-GW2.html

You should read up.

• MilkopilkoMilkopilko Member Posts: 28

Originally posted by stayontarget

Speak for yourself that you know very little, not everyone lol. There is plenty of information and there have been multiple demos. Its always possible that they could take every single great idea that they have shared with us and toss them away and create a wow clone, but I somehow don't think that its likely. How about you?

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

That's nice and all but let me know when the community can get some actual gameplay on it besides the few hours they have on youtube taken from conventions.

~yes I saw those as well and I was not impressed, Anet is gonna have to do better than that if people expect GW2 to compete with wow~

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...