Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: How long before this game goes free to play?

TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

This is not a troll post.  It is a legitimate question.   The data I have accumilated leads me to believe that Rift is going to have a retention problem if they do not do something in the next couple of months.  So the question is.

How long before this game goes free to play?

Comments

• EmothirstEmothirst Member Posts: 12

1 year from now for me.. because it's not easy to make and turn the game from p2p to f2p.... needs more money... and knowing that rift has just been released.

• Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629

I had to vote never. I'm not a big fan of Rift, and it has its share of problems, but I'm not sure where you get your "data" from. Was it the fact that there's empty servers after the first 30 days? Is it the QQ on the forums? What "data" can you possibly have? What you probably have is an opinion based on observation.

Rift is a solid game and is easily the most polished-at-launch MMO I have ever seen. Ultimately though, it's competing with WoW and is trying to do so on PVE content and that is a losing race no matter how you look at it. The game isn't broken or unplayable and there's plenty of content. I see no reason why it would go F2P anytime soon. Since your data says otherwise, I'd love to see your data.

• QazzQazz Member Posts: 577

Sorry Teala, but I don't trust your data or your poll.  You've been very clear on your opinion of the game and I wager that you're simply looking for ammunition for your next diatribe.

• GoobGoob Member Posts: 398

It really bothers me when people refer to their "data".

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Originally posted by Qazz

Sorry Teala, but I don't trust your data or your poll.  You've been very clear on your opinion of the game and I wager that you're simply looking for ammunition for your next diatribe.

Right...maybe I should start posting the PM's and e-mails from people that started coming in recently apologizing for bashing my preview and telling me I was right and that they should have listened because it would have saved them money.   Maybe I should also post the name of the guy that works for Trion that accidently let slip that their sub numbers are not as good as they were hoping for at launch and that they lost quite a large chunk after the first month.  Then again I wouldn't want to get the guy fired now; would I.

• tyrannistyrannis Member Posts: 198

Lets see your data. 

##Best SWTOR of 2011
    Posted by I_Return - SWTOR - "Forget the UI the characters and all ofhe nitpicking bullshit" "Greatest MMO Ever Created"

##Fail Thread Title of 2011
    Originally posted by daveospice
    "this game looks like crap?"

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

It is really hard to say just now.

It initially sold well but lost some players after people free month were up. But it still depends on several different factors, we don't know if it will continue to slide, stop or even turn again.

And I think it also have a lot to do how GW2 and TOR does later this year. If particularly GW2 becomes a success it might happen very soon but in that case it might go B2P instead of F2P. If TOR takes the subs it will probably go F2P 6 months after TORs release. If both those games flops it will take years.

And people have predicted that AoC would either be down or free to play years ago so it is hard to tell.

My guess is that it will take at least a year, and it is not unlikely that it will stay P2P.

It's really to soon to guess. but it wont happen this year no matter what.

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Please refrain from namecalling/baiting/retaliation/etc . Discuss the topic. Answer the poll. Don't belittle one another. Thanks.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by Teala

Right...maybe I should start posting the PM's and e-mails from people that started coming in recently apologizing for bashing my preview and telling me I was right and that they should have listened because it would have saved them money.   Maybe I should also post the name of the guy that works for Trion that accidently let slip that their sub numbers are not as good as they were hoping for at launch and that they lost quite a large chunk after the first month.  Then again I wouldn't want to get the guy fired now; would I.

Well, let's see...

I just logged in, 10:40 est and 13 servers are high and the rest are medium.

Quite frankly I'm surprised at you as I though you were a bit above trolling which is what i feel your post is about.

you've plainly indicated your support and then your condemnation of the title and now you, for some reason, have revistied the title to post this poll for what reason?

I'm sure they lost a bit after launch but anyone with any common sense can see that any AAA title coming out is going to gather a lot of curous people only for them to go back to watever game they came from.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

Maybe I can post the name of the guy who works for Trion that says they sold 10 million copies their first week and that they gained a large chunk after the first month. Then again I wouldnt want to get the guy promoted now would I?

Seriously, please post that, I'd love to see it although I am positive it never happened nor exists.

I have been playing Rift since it launched, I enjoy the game and think it is a solid product but I am by no means ready to call it the greatest MMO ever, or even say it is my favorite. What I can say is that, as someone who is logged in at some point each day, that server pop is very healthy across all level ranges and that the servers are sitting at medium to high, and we havent lost anyone in our guild to unsubscribing yet. 

It does need to do some nice tricks before GW2 and SWTOR come out later this year, but really, this could be said for 90% of MMO's on the market currently. 

• DaringDaring Member UncommonPosts: 138

strange?....everyone I know that plays mmos are now playing Rift and loves it.  In fact I have several friends that never played mmos and they got into Rift and love it.  How is this game going free?  It is now the best mmo out (at the moment).  I really dont see this going free any time soon.  and all the servers are usally med to heavy.  I think people just want it too fail, because they dont like it.  Relax people and find a game you like if Rift is not it, but dont say Rift is not a good game, it just doesnt make sense.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

Countdown timer for all mmos has started.

By the time swtor gw2 and secret world will be out no game will survive without free subscription.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Rift doesn't seem to be cratering like WAR or STO did.  There would be a flood of accounts on the market, and it isn't happening.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • QazzQazz Member Posts: 577

So you got some emails agreeing with your preview and they're telling you they wish they hadn't bought RIFT.  An un-named Trion employee says that they were hoping for more subs.  I can see how you may feel satisfied that we're all discovering the light that you have shown us.  If only RIFT hadn't had so much hype, maybe the game would have already been closed and Trion bankrupt and our genre would be rid of this horrid cancer forever.  We certainly need to keep creating 'warning' posts for a game we don't like or play to keep others from experiencing this horrible, horrible game.

/sarcasm off

Game bashing posts just perplex me at times.  So many gamers talk about how wow is the exception and that numbers aren't everything, yet when a game doesn't put up wow numbers they use it as evidence that the game sucks.  

/soapbox on

For people who love mmo's, mmo posters sure love to fire warheads at their own genre.  So RIFT isn't for you...great! Don't play it then! Thank you for the review...we don't all agree, and that's ok! But the effort to try to pull people away form the game just boggles my mind.  A review is one thing...downright animosity is something more (which is what I'm seeing).

In addition, there are players who think their current mmo is on these forums and their pve is attacking mmo's while their pvp is attacking people who are fans of certain games.  Sorry to dissapoint, but that number beneath our names isn't our level...it's just our post count.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by Zefire

Countdown timer for all mmos has started.

By the time swtor gw2 and secret world will be out no game will survive without free subscription.

far from happening but i do agree that those that gw2 and TSW will be the shiz... but swtor is still a little bit more of the cookie cutter we already have

• Lathander81Lathander81 Member Posts: 611

Server getting low on poulations is common when a MMO is new. They have alot of servers to accomodate alot of people. Then some people realize its not for them and they merge the remaining servers they need. Frankly, after playing its an awesome starter MMO and really has soem cool features (rifts, low level mounts, easy questing).  I don't see this going free to play at all.

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Please use restraint when posting and remember to follow the Rules of Conduct when posting. If you have forgotten what they are, check my signature. Thanks.

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.