Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New updated changes

I read they did some work on character and weapon customization.  I haven't reinstalled yet and was wondering if current players had any views on the changes and whether or not they are worth the re-install.  Have they fixed housing yet?  And what exactly do they mean by improved solo play?  (i'm assuming easier mobs or something)

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

They did?

I'd love to read the article if you can point me to a link as I see nothing different. I think they changed the hobbit run at some point.

As for the solo play you can do skirmishes solo and the first two book quests can be done solo.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GrayGreeneGrayGreene Member Posts: 239

Originally posted by Sovrath

They did?

I'd love to read the article if you can point me to a link as I see nothing different. I think they changed the hobbit run at some point.

As for the solo play you can do skirmishes solo and the first two book quests can be done solo.

It's the Spring newsletter.  

Check out the Updated Character Panel!

Join Community

Official Forums

Official Forums

Facebook

Facebook

RSS

RSS Feed

YouTube

YouTube

Twitter

Twitter

Send to a Friend

Send to Friend

Helpful Links

MyAccount

LOTRO.com

Lorebook

The Festival Has Begun

LOTRO's Spring Festival is here! Join us as we celebrate the green season in Middle-earth, with shrew-battles, new quests, maze games, and the usual mayhem!

• Hedge Maze!  There are chickens to be caught, Elves to be rescued, Dwarves to be humoured, records to be beaten, and a very sinister surprise at the centre of it all!

• Stomp a Shrew!  In order for the Elves to regain control of their lovely garden, they are going to need a little help. Put on your boots and start stomping!

• The Ale Association! Help the Ale Association sabotage beer-loving Hobbits throughout Middle-earth.
    Click here to learn more

Update 2 Now Available

Ancient and powerful evil rises from the heart of Middle-earth in The Lord of the Rings Online™ Update 2: Echoes of the Dead.

• Continue the Epic Story as you encounter Sauron's servants, The Gaunt-lords.

• New Raid: Ost Dunhoth- Bring the battle to Sauron's deadly servants.

• Journey from the Shire and battle your way down to an icebound fortress in the heart of Forochel.

• Improved Legendary Items- customize every aspect of your items and relics.

• Additional features include new Skirmishes, an update to Monster Play, improved solo play, and the addition of over 100 new quests to Evendim.

Click here to learn more

• seabass2003seabass2003 Member Posts: 4,144

Yeah, it's fun. Come join us.

In America I have bad teeth. If I lived in England my teeth would be perfect.

• GrammieGrammie Member Posts: 68

I would love to know if any of you have played the new game. I had trouble finding quest locations in the old game.  Used to drive me crazy and LOTRO would not help me.  Did they fix that problem.?  Is the premium game worth the money?

• seabass2003seabass2003 Member Posts: 4,144

Originally posted by Grammie

I would love to know if any of you have played the new game. I had trouble finding quest locations in the old game.  Used to drive me crazy and LOTRO would not help me.  Did they fix that problem.?  Is the premium game worth the money?

Yes there is a quest guide which now holds your hand and no longer requires you to read the quest. Get quest, arrow points to target, kill, arrow points to quest giver, complete quest.

In America I have bad teeth. If I lived in England my teeth would be perfect.

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

I wouldn't bother.

The item customization means you can now spend a whole lot of money in the item mall to make your legendary weapon not suck as much.

Housing upgrade? Hahahahahahaha. Good joke.

They did make the Moria book quests soloable.

And they made the character panel to be just like WoWs.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353

Originally posted by trancejeremy

I wouldn't bother.

The item customization means you can now spend a whole lot of money in the item mall to make your legendary weapon not suck as much.

LOL so much wrong with this statement.

Item customization: The ONLY LI related item that is available in the store that wasn't ALREADY available in game by normal means is the scroll that unslots your relics under the new system. Other than that all the other scrolls are available to be found or earned IN GAME without spending a dime.

Housing Upgrade: Nobody mentioned anything about housing where the fuck did you pull that out of?

Moria Epics Soloable: Yup and they revamped the terrible 2.5.5 quests into skirmishes so no more LFF Moria 2.5.5 spam for people who haven't been able to get them done before now.

The character panel changes take some getting used to but I'm getting used to them.

All in all Turbine has been doing much more frequent updates since F2P launched (now every 2 months like DDO) and the game hasn't become Pay2Win like all of the whiners were predicting.

• GaryMGaryM Member Posts: 244

I wouldn't bother.

Nice try - I've *never* had to spend real money on my LI. In fact, the update made it a lot easier to customize your weapon and class item, and removed the randomness of getting the legacies you desire.

• HipsterHipster Member Posts: 69

While I truly loved LOTRO during Moria. The developers turned lotro into what Themeparks suffer from nowadays.

Turning everything solo friendly. Tokens, tokens, tokens. Quests on rails, Insta-porting... not to mention the added feature of the FT2 splash screens and "Upgrade" buttons in the interface trying to sell me something even though Im a Lifer.  Add on taking radiance out of the game. 

You get my point. Thats just my personal opinion. Im sure someone who has never played could get into it for a while, its just not the same as it was.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by GrayGreene

Originally posted by Sovrath

They did?

It's the Spring newsletter. 

ah ok I see where you are coming from.

I was thinking that they did something for physical customization. They did change the LI's a bit. In some ways it's easier to get a LI that you want but I would say that Jeremy isn't completely correct. One can take advantage of some of the things in the store for your LI but truth of the matter is that you don't need to buy points if you don't want to and you can earn them in game. Though at a slower steady rate. I just added some stuff to my LI's but I didn't buy points. I used the points that I accrued over time in my monthly allotment as a subscriber.

There are some new outfits that one can buy for cosmetic cusomization though for my taste they are a bit hit or miss.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • huskerman34huskerman34 Member UncommonPosts: 252

I wouldn't bother.

I dont know where you got that info bud. Too much of that roadside pipeweed in your system.  They made it where you can deconstruct the legendary items you find and turn them into shards. You can buy runes and such with the shards you have. 

Edgar F Greenwood

• eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

Originally posted by Hipster

While I truly loved LOTRO during Moria. The developers turned lotro into what Themeparks suffer from nowadays.

Turning everything solo friendly. Tokens, tokens, tokens. Quests on rails, Insta-porting... not to mention the added feature of the FT2 splash screens and "Upgrade" buttons in the interface trying to sell me something even though Im a Lifer.  Add on taking radiance out of the game. 

You get my point. Thats just my personal opinion. Im sure someone who has never played could get into it for a while, its just not the same as it was.

Lotro was never meant to be another raid game,so the chage to take radiance out of game was a good one.Themeparks suffer from games being too raid  oriented  so the changes in lotro are great,it brings the game back to how it was before developers trying to cater to raiders.Quest on rails - what does it means ?You had to follow the path of the fellowship from the begining ,lotro was never a sandbox for people for who hate quests and story and while i am not a big fan of of tokens,they are much better than random drops making you farm same instance over and over again.I don't remember from fantasy books a character killing same  dragon every 7 days hoping to get some sword.While lotro was never my favorite game,probably because of the character design and combat which was too slow for me,i always come back to the game because i enjoy the world and some of the quests and of course hobbits and the shire :)

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

This is just my thoughts nobody else, so take my opinion for what it is worth.

The game was in steady decline since Moria rolled out.  The sorry excuse of an xpac called Shadows of mirkwood did us no good,  one weeks worth of content and if you had alts 2 weeks at best.  Going on almost 1.5 years of no real content at the end game.

Sure they rolled a couple raids out,  dumbed down the game to where you don't need groups,  and finally after 2 years of complaining removed radiance.

However what are we left with.   We removed item drops and replaced them by an artificial grind to get this token or that token. We put in skirmishes to make the game more solo friendly and break the community apart.  then they took the game free to play.

Now we get loading screens with advertisements to the store,  we get icons showing up all over the place in game to direct us to the store.  They are adding more stuff to the store vs in game actual content.

It must be working for somebody they claim they are making hand over fist money.

All I will say its not the same game that I was playing back in SOA days.  I know a lot of folks are going to claim I have rose colored glasses on, but even during SOA we had problems.  However back then it was a game with meat and bones to it, now it has become about the store, and the i win now button.

• ografograf Member Posts: 19

I'm too new to comment on changes to the game.

I do think to really enjoy this game you have to like the lore.

I read the hobbit and the lotr trilogy several times when younger and to see this fictional world come to fruition not only as a great movie but also as an online adventure is truly amazing.

You know its only been like 20 years ago or so since online gaming started.

We've come a long way from my first comp with a 9400 baud modem 8 mbs of ram and windows 3.1 and the only multiplayer game was yahoo games.

I know some people really like multiplayer dungeon runs but i'm real happy i can solo so much of this game.

After being around people all day, when I come home I really like being able to quietly enjoy a few hours of mind relaxing xping, questing ,crafting whatever without having to deal witrh mass amounts of chatter or sitting waiting for so and so to show up.

And to be able to do all this for free. I'm in heaven...

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by erictlewis

This is just my thoughts nobody else, so take my opinion for what it is worth.

The game was in steady decline since Moria rolled out.  The sorry excuse of an xpac called Shadows of mirkwood did us no good,  one weeks worth of content and if you had alts 2 weeks at best.  Going on almost 1.5 years of no real content at the end game.

Sure they rolled a couple raids out,  dumbed down the game to where you don't need groups,  and finally after 2 years of complaining removed radiance.

However what are we left with.   We removed item drops and replaced them by an artificial grind to get this token or that token. We put in skirmishes to make the game more solo friendly and break the community apart.  then they took the game free to play.

Now we get loading screens with advertisements to the store,  we get icons showing up all over the place in game to direct us to the store.  They are adding more stuff to the store vs in game actual content.

It must be working for somebody they claim they are making hand over fist money.

All I will say its not the same game that I was playing back in SOA days.  I know a lot of folks are going to claim I have rose colored glasses on, but even during SOA we had problems.  However back then it was a game with meat and bones to it, now it has become about the store, and the i win now button.

I don't have rose colored glasses on, I just started playing it back late November, so what it was vs what it is I really can't comment on...

BUT....I can say that in that time, not once have I been "bored", nor do I ever struggle to find a group. EVERY night I've got something to do that I WANT to do. I've PvMP'd, I've run the new encounters, I've helped friends...I have one main toon and he isn't even Kindered with Tailors Guild yet...like I said...EVERY night I have stuff to do that I WANT to complete.

Not once have I had to buy anything from the store...but, to be fully honest, I did buy a deed accelerator when I was like lvl 22, not knowing that there would be 5 brazillion freaking deeds to follow and I also purchased a cosmetic hood thing cuz I liked it. NO equipment, NO traits, NO maps, NO potions...NOTHING else from the store (oops...Mirkwood).

I don't like store + sub myself either, but IMO, Turbine has done it VERY well in that everything I would want in the store, is also something I can loot or complete in-game. MOST items in Turbines store are simple cosmetic or "convenience" items...things that save time on crafting or traveling or deeds.

If a store must be there (and any F2P pretty much needs one), Turbine's is a fine example to follow IMO.