Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The More I Play Rift, the More My Love for Vanguard Grows

boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553

I played Vanguard for three years and loved it.  Eventually my guild and I left and went on hiatus and picked up with Rift when that launched.  While Rift provides some enjoyment, it makes me appreciate how truly awesome Vanguard is.  Vanguard still is the best MMO around.  It's deeper, funner, more addicting, challenging and frankly superior than Rift on almost any level.

Our guild played Vanguard feverishly for 3 years until the content and development ran out.  We left very reluctantly.  Meanwhile, in Rift, a bit of boredom and grind as already seeped in at max level after just a couple months.  We can't help but compare Rift to Vanguard when we play wishing that this, that and the other thing was more like Vanguard.........

- wish Rift had crafting like VG

- wish Rift had dungeons like VG

- wish Rift had diplomcy like VG

-wish Rift had combat like VG

- wish skill mattered in Rift like it did in VG

- wish the Rift world was huge, epic and open like VG

.... and on, and on, and on......

I wish Vanguard has the resources that Trion throws at Rift.  It could have been the be all and end all of MMOs.

Comments

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Vangard simply made too many mistakes. It had a lot of potential, but it was thrown away because of short sightedness, impatience and panic.  At this point, I suspect it would simply cost too much time/money to get it back on its feet. I wouldn't be surprised if SOE finally pulls the plug.  Its too bad, but thats the way such things go.  Personally, I like Rift at this point. Its an entertaining, well polished game.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553

Originally posted by Wraithone

Vangard simply made too many mistakes. It had a lot of potential, but it was thrown away because of short sightedness, impatience and panic.  At this point, I suspect it would simply cost too much time/money to get it back on its feet. I wouldn't be surprised if SOE finally pulls the plug.  Its too bad, but thats the way such things go.  Personally, I like Rift at this point. Its an entertaining, well polished game.

Yes, I agree.  Fantastic game design for Vanguard, but not enough developers or dollars to truly deliver on it.  Plus many mistakes by SoE in managing the game throughout the years, it seemed lke every major decision they made was the wrong one.

I don't hold out much hope for the future of VG either.  It's time has past.

I was very optimistic on the game design for Rift because they hired a number of the developers from Vanguard, especially for the dungeons as it was the same gentleman that did Ancient Port Warehouse.  But I just don't see the level of expertise in the Rift dungeons... it's been a disappointment for me.

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

Originally posted by boojiboy

Yes, I agree.  Fantastic game design for Vanguard, but not enough developers or dollars to truly deliver on it.  Plus many mistakes by SoE in managing the game throughout the years, it seemed lke every major decision they made was the wrong one.

I was very optimistic on the game design for Rift because they hired a number of the developers from Vanguard, especially for the dungeons as it was the same gentleman that did Ancient Port Warehouse.  But I just don't see the level of expertise in the Rift dungeons... it's been a disappointment for me.

When was he hired? He might still be working on something.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553

Originally posted by Ekibiogami

Originally posted by boojiboy

When was he hired? He might still be working on something.

AndrewK is the Rift Developer that was known as Avarem in Vanguard.  Avarem made the most unbelievably awesome dungeons in Vanguard.  I just haven't seen anything close to that yet in Rift.

• osc8rosc8r Member UncommonPosts: 688

I agree OP, Vanguard was a great game - even with all it's bugs! It's just a shame it went the way it did, it had the potential to be brilliant.

Hell, I even wish the classes in Rift were like VG, I loved my wolf shaman there.. so much diversity, and played well, I could take on several opponents (including other wolf shamans) and win. Skill, timing and knowing how to counter other classes meant a LOT in that game.

It also had FFA PVP with no guards! No warfront grind or other such nonsense... which meant, there was plenty of meaningful world PVP to go around. So many fun memories of hunting down ebonlore and kotf, and guarding people in the banks from random RPK's :)

Vanguard was one of the few modern MMO's that kept my interest, hell, i'd likely still be playing if the dev team wasn't so inept.

• BeachcomberBeachcomber Member Posts: 535

Loved the feature in Vanguard when on my mount i would hitch every 20 yards. Awesome stuff.