Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Patching / Population

RollerratRollerrat Member UncommonPosts: 200

I was going to check how's the population in Anarchy Online nowadays but can't even patch the game. I'm getting Chksum errors all the time when trying to patch the large client. It seems the only way to me to get in game is manual patching (not sure if I want to do it). Who knows how many potential new customers they have lost because of these issues with patching.

I noticed another weird thing when checking my in-game friends from Auno's character info page... last time when they all have been in game is on second or third week in January. And I really mean All of them (around 20 players from different orgs) Something special happened around that time? Bad patch? Or perhaps it was a collective rage quit or stuff like that :)

Comments

• WarzodWarzod Member RarePosts: 495

AO will reopen everyone's account from time to time for a week or so. It is possible that, like myself, they all popped back in to see what their old favorite was like and then did not resub. Sorry about the patching problem though. :(

• RollerratRollerrat Member UncommonPosts: 200

About the Chksum errors on official forums:

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/showthread.php?t=588594

Originally posted by Warzod

AO will reopen everyone's account from time to time for a week or so. It is possible that, like myself, they all popped back in to see what their old favorite was like and then did not resub. Sorry about the patching problem though. :(

Ah yes, I forgot they open accounts from time to time.

Phew, I managed to solve my issue with patching finally. Oh man, when I heard the familiar sound effects (doors opening/closing, people buffing etc etc) and that great soundtrack I got some kind of warm feeling inside me.

A lot has changed since I was logged in last time. I'm almost subscribing but one thing is holding me back: The Population. I ran my froob toon through Borealis, Old Athen, Newland, Rome, Omni Ent and I was sad when I noticed how deserted these places are now. I remember Borealis was the place to duel and get all the necessary buffs when twinking. Don't get me wrong though, there still are people around but A Lot Less unfortunately. I was planning to sub with two accounts and start leveling two toons together from scratch (can't find my old accounts info they are both that old) but I'm not sure how easy it is to get in teams and to get all buffs when gearing up. It also seems all my old in-game friends and orgs are inactive nowadays so I would be really alone, at least in the beginning (again, starting two fresh toons and gearing them up might be quite tough now). So I'm now thinking should I just let it go and keep my memories from the old days.

Edit: I forgot to mention my froob toon is parked in Atlantean server.

• GrebdnullGrebdnull Member UncommonPosts: 13

Originally posted by adeptuz

A lot has changed since I was logged in last time. I'm almost subscribing but one thing is holding me back: The Population. I ran my froob toon through Borealis, Old Athen, Newland, Rome, Omni Ent and I was sad when I noticed how deserted these places are now. I remember Borealis was the place to duel and get all the necessary buffs when twinking. Don't get me wrong though, there still are people around but A Lot Less unfortunately. I was planning to sub with two accounts and start leveling two toons together from scratch (can't find my old accounts info they are both that old) but I'm not sure how easy it is to get in teams and to get all buffs when gearing up. It also seems all my old in-game friends and orgs are inactive nowadays so I would be really alone, at least in the beginning (again, starting two fresh toons and gearing them up might be quite tough now). So I'm now thinking should I just let it go and keep my memories from the old days.

I reactivated my accounts about a week ago and I must say that Anarchy Online still is a unique and great game. I agree with you regarding the population issue. I'm also on RK1 and on a bad day I'm more or less alone in Old Athen for example, and from what I've read on the official forum it's just as bad, if not worse, on RK2.... BUT... when you do get a raid or a team going it is so much fun and all worth it :)

I pray that Funcom will turn the decreasing population trend around with the upcoming graphics engine and rebalancing before it's too late. It would be such a shame if they pulled the plug on this gem of a game.

• inBOILinBOIL Member Posts: 669

Originally posted by Grebdnull  It would be such a shame if they pulled the plug on this gem of a game.

they pulled the plug from me and from many others when they started to morph AO into wow.

Generation P

Yeah it's sad to see AO today. Item mall (not just the boards and vehicles, now they sell xp stims and whatnot) and Battlestations. I think BS is a bit same as battlegrounds in WoW? You get PvP items and armor by PvP'ing in instanced area?

• inBOILinBOIL Member Posts: 669

I noticed another weird thing when checking my in-game friends from Auno's character info page... last time when they all have been in game is on second or third week in January. And I really mean All of them (around 20 players from different orgs) Something special happened around that time? Bad patch? Or perhaps it was a collective rage quit or stuff like that :)

i think what happened is related to that Auno doesnt gather online info anymore.

Generation P

• SevenOmaticSevenOmatic Member UncommonPosts: 177

Yeah it's sad to see AO today. Item mall (not just the boards and vehicles, now they sell xp stims and whatnot) and Battlestations. I think BS is a bit same as battlegrounds in WoW? You get PvP items and armor by PvP'ing in instanced area?

Yeah, thats pretty much the deal. Theres only a few items that are worth getting.