Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The true WoW killer will be...

-Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298

Shadowbane 2

Why?  Because developers have to think different to beat the most watered down EQ clone on the market.  If they don't they will not bring down the beast.

How long before this happens?  Possibly never.  To much quick money to be made as it takes time for people to actually learn their lesson.  Who cares about longevity anyway, right?

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

Comments

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Not a chance in hell a niche game like shadowbane would put a dent in wow let alone kill it.

It can be however much different it can be but it's no gonna happen.

Anyways, thanks for the laugh.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

World of Minecraft will be the true WoW killer.

• BeermanglerBeermangler Member UncommonPosts: 402

@OP: The only true WoW killer can and will be Blizzard.

Better to be crazy, provided you know what sane is...

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006

WoW will kill itself.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Their next update should do the job.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

Another one for the pile of hundreds of threads "this xpac killed it", " X will kill wow", we know how these have turned out. If ppl keep at it by the time they release titan it will be true.

• wolf11223wolf11223 Member CommonPosts: 54

The wow killer will be wow itself. I have foreseen it 0.o

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Meh.

Thats about all to be said about this clone of a thread that has spawned so many times before.

For personally I'm just happy WoW exists, so I wont have to meet these annoying WoW-fanbois I meet in forums like this in player person in my own favorite MMOs. If some other MMO will take over that task, I dont care, just as long as it gets done.

• MaakuMaaku Member Posts: 90

Originally posted by wolf11223

THIS!

I think that the only way WoW will get taken down is by either:

1. Time or 2012...

2. An update /expansion with graphic updates and new gameplay elements

3. The next Blizzard MMO but again, why would they hurt themselves...

4. Chuck Norris

5. Humans fail to procreate and we finally dir off

• Ez-RollerEz-Roller Member Posts: 18

WoW is badly injured due to Cataclysm. SWTOR will put it out of its misery. 

• EnerzealEnerzeal Member Posts: 326

Originally posted by ezroller

Still don't understand it do you.

WoW = fluffy addictive featureful cute EASY runs well on just about any hampster in a wheel, fantasy.

SWTOR = sci fi isn't nearly as cool, isn't as fluffy, will take a beefed up PC to run, who knows how easy it will be, seems to be less focused on groups.

Guild Wars 2 has more of a chance right now, but as people have said WoW or time will kill it - only.

• NazgolNazgol Member Posts: 864

Originally posted by Enerzeal

WoW = fluffy addictive featureful cute EASY runs well on just about any hampster in a wheel, fantasy.

SWTOR = sci fi isn't nearly as cool, isn't as fluffy, will take a beefed up PC to run, who knows how easy it will be, seems to be less focused on groups.

Guild Wars 2 has more of a chance right now, but as people have said WoW or time will kill it - only.

1. SWTOR willb e optimized to run on multiple conifgurations, much like wow.

2. SWTOR just showed a multiplayer flashpoint at PAX East so I don't know how you can say it is less focused on groups.

3. Everyone and their mother knows what Star Wars is, not so much for Guild Wars outside the PC community.

In Bioware we trust!

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

This topic again . I've said it before there wont be any one WoW killer just a succession of decent games and time  . There will be collective WoW killers the first of these is RIFT as any of us playing it know its packed on mosty servers and no real visable drop off yet . I still play WoW for two or three months a year but thats enough for me . Not sure given most of my friends from WoW have now moved to RIFT and are loving it whether I'll ever return this time .Trion seam to get right what Blizzard lost several years ago having said that its not perfect but I don't expect perfection , nor is it original but that does'nt bother me because its playable and fun . Felt Cata was a let down and its so painfully easy now leveling lacks any real challenge till the end game unless your doing it via bgs . Thats the only real fun to be had in WoW these days .WoW may have a bigger world but it may as well not be there because theres next to no one questing and next to no world pvp . GW2 and STARWARS will add to the mounting number of WoW killers and new consoles will proberbly be developed with mmos in mind and most likly will offer 3d . WoWs gonna antiquated once that happens .

• MordeathMordeath Member Posts: 131

After looking at all the games out there the main one I see killing WoW is

Diablo 3

Why?

Dungeon crawler  - Check

Cool Gameplay - Check

IP WoW fanboys will love - Check

Merciless Grind for Loot - Check

Has the name Blizzard on the Box - Check

No Monthly Fee - Bonus!

In fact the main reason you dont see Diablo 3 is because WoW is such a fat cash cow. Why kill it?

• ZolgarZolgar Member Posts: 533

Originally posted by Mordeath

After looking at all the games out there the main one I see killing WoW is

Diablo 3

Why?

Dungeon crawler  - Check

Cool Gameplay - Check

IP WoW fanboys will love - Check

Merciless Grind for Loot - Check

Has the name Blizzard on the Box - Check

No Monthly Fee - Bonus!

In fact the main reason you dont see Diablo 3 is because WoW is such a fat cash cow. Why kill it?

Doubt a Buy To Play game (an aRPG for that matter) will kill a subscription based game.

It's hard to say when WoW will 'die'. It won't be for a long time that's for sure.

0118 999 881 999 119 725... 3

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

The Death of WoW (and Blizzard):

1. Blizzard runs out of torches.

2. Blizzard starts mining through the floor.

3. Blizzard stumbles upon dungeon with creeper spawner.

4. *Hissing sound*.

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

Wrong so wrong. tor is not all on rails. Only space combat is on rails lets at least get that out of the way.

The rest of the game even has rewards for exploration in the form of world bosses, datacrons and other stuff. While once u do your origin world and get sent to dromund kaas or coruscant u can pretty much go to any plaent in the range of levels u want.

Tor devs have stated that high levels will go back to the origin worlds also. so other then the path yoru class quests take u on which u dont have to follow except to complete them. There are planetary quests u can do on eacy of the planets u can go to.

So the only part of tor on rails is the space combat. Which is a mini game that dong will get u ways to customize your ship with. so the rest of the game is like any mmo out there today thats themepark.

Oh and that doesnt mean its on rails. U arent forced to go here and here and here in tor although u can just follow the class story not go exploring the planets and still reach end game u dont have to do it that way. At least from all i have read.

Oh the only wow killer will be wow itself. Tor might take some of the subs. Gw 2 is a buy to play game so its not gonna take wow subs away. The fact is wow like all games from everquest to ultima to all th eolder games eventually just get old to most players.

i for one still love wow . that said though all games even mmo's eventually get stale plus once blizzards new mmo comes out. Wow players may just leave for that game.

• VigilianceVigiliance Member UncommonPosts: 213

I dont think any game will truely kill WOW. Its too deeply rooted its self as a classic nostalgic game for so many, so I think it will end up like diablo II. The game is so very old now but it still has a very large player base in comparsion with its age and how outdated it is. At some point a game will have more fans then wow and it won't be that it killed WOW like its pull was so overwhelming that everyone will just flock to it like the next big thing.

I think people will just eventually tire of it and migrate else where for their entertainment needs, it may not even be gaming. Very immersive games like WOW can kill peoples desire to game because they just spent so much energy and time on one game, and thats not bad... thats just what they enjoyed. However after awhile alot of people will just run into the thought of,  I need a new hobby, lets do something different for a change.

Thats my opinion, I think people add too much drama to the term "WOW killer"

• malrodmalrod Member Posts: 87

WOW will never DIE, just slowly fade away.

live long and prosper
    strength and honor

if urgent do it yourself
    if you have time-delegate it
    if you have forever-form a committee

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

Originally posted by Maaku

Originally posted by wolf11223

THIS!

I think that the only way WoW will get taken down is by either:

1. Time or 2012...

2. An update /expansion with graphic updates and new gameplay elements

3. The next Blizzard MMO but again, why would they hurt themselves...

4. Chuck Norris

5. Humans fail to procreate and we finally dir off

# 3 is intended. Since no game but Wow or another blizzrd MMO can defeat Wow, they want old subs to find new games and build guilds. Then when Titan is ready to be shown. Entire guilds will empty from these games to get in on Titan

Why do you think blizzrd is happy for swtor and bioware. they got ex wow players in almost every MMO. every wow player ex and alike are all manchurian candidates. when blizz says the magic words they will all run back to the new MMO.

Due to it being a multi Genre MMO that possibly has space combat as well. All these lovely games will empty back to blizzard. and bring friends. it's diobolical man! pure genius I think it's a valid theory. if blizz tells me to leave TOR I will go. Why you may ask? because it's blizzard they make games of legend. not these tiny 150 mil mmos that try to copy them.

Watch and see they will rule the MMO world for ever. best you can do is find a good game and enjoy it before they unleash the Titan and make your game a ghost land.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

Time.

• LeucrottaLeucrotta Member Posts: 679

Originally posted by Nazgol

3. Everyone and their mother knows what Star Wars is, not so much for Guild Wars outside the PC community.

Yet more people played guild wars then galaxys in the pc community which is the targed market

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Apart from people saying that Cat. injured WoW on forums I havn't seen any official news that WoW is doing badly.

And I do not think SWTOR would put WoW out of it's misery, yes the IP is known, but seriously how many MMORPG players actually want a Star Wars MMORPG. IO think the overall MMO community is more into Fantasy then SciFi/Fantasy, I bet SWToR will do fine but don't think it has the power to cripple WoW.

I still feel WoW is really a exception in the MMO genre in their numbers. Apart from asain/korian/chinese MMO that have much more players then WoW has, but as a Western MMO there isn't anything like WoW with it'ssub- numbers.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Originally posted by Nazgol

Originally posted by Enerzeal

1. SWTOR willb e optimized to run on multiple conifgurations, much like wow.

Free Realms can run on every computer too..............

2. SWTOR just showed a multiplayer flashpoint at PAX East so I don't know how you can say it is less focused on groups.

SWTOR will be focusing on the story. Generally a story is personal, it doesn't involve any other people.

SWTOR will have lots of group activities, that doesn't mean people will take part, since they will be busy their "epic" quest

It doesn't matter, everyone knew Start Trek and DC Comics, yet their respective MMORPG weren't exactly a success

SWTOR ill be another of those MMO which sells lots of copies but can't retain many subscribers.