Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anti-WoW gamers

12346»

Comments

• shawn01shawn01 Member UncommonPosts: 166

Originally posted by xxHanoverxx

Originally posted by Mr_Wolfx

People mainly dislike WoW because in many gamers opinions WoW stagnated the mmorpg genre as a whole.

How about blaming the other companies for trying to cash in on the success of WOW and stagnating the MMORPG genre as a whole?  Why blame the successful guy for all the clones?

In response to the OP, I've come back to WOW since playing vanilla and am enjoying the hell out of it.  I think a lot of people who play WOW do not come to these forums.  

This is a good point, i don't like WoW because its a carrot chase, but it is not WoW's fault that the whole industry is bent on trying to clone WoW.

I have decided to lower my agro to WoW from hate to strong dislike, and transfer the hate to the cloners, like Trions Rift.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by Ausare

Nice redirect about the number of subscribers...whether it is 12 or 14 compaired to 1 the number does not matter. 

Sure it does. Accuracy of numbers always matters. When people start citing numbers, they should have a source to back it up. That's all they were asking for. A source to back up those numbers. You're right, it has little impact on the comparison... but there is something to be said for being accurate and truthful when making a statement as well.

2 million people is not a small margin of error.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• Scripture1Scripture1 Member UncommonPosts: 421

I'm not going to get all deep about why others don't play or any other technical details. Keeping it plain and simple, I quit WoW after 3 + years because everything got extremely repetative and I got extremely bored.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

Originally posted by WSIMike

Originally posted by Ausare

Nice redirect about the number of subscribers...whether it is 12 or 14 compaired to 1 the number does not matter. 

Sure it does. Accuracy of numbers always matters. When people start citing numbers, they should have a source to back it up. That's all they were asking for. A source to back up those numbers. You're right, it has little impact on the comparison... but there is something to be said for being accurate and truthful when making a statement as well.

2 million people is not a small margin of error.

But if you are going to just talk about the number and not say "Fix your numbers and this is what I think about your statements issue..." then you are just trying to redirect away from the issue by playing a numbes game because you have nothing for the issue.  If am fine with correcting his numbers...good good good...do it all day, but do not avoid the issue.  The issue was not 14 or 12 or 9 or 6 million it was the gap of millions between two games. 

• AcmegamerAcmegamer Member UncommonPosts: 337

Originally posted by superdfc

I've played WoW for years and loved it. Game review websites, critics, and players have found the game extremely enjoyable, and the evidence is the ammount of subscribers Blizzard has. The game is fun, packed with content, hilarious at times, full of lore, and very deep.

Years ago, before I could play the game because my parents did not let me pay for a subscription fee, I harboured anti-WoW sentiments even though I knew little of the game. I thought the game was for "nerds" or people living in their parent's basement and my classmates frequently joked about it (This was during elementary school, so don't give me grief). I didn't understand what the game was all about, didn't know how good it was, and always thought that games like Runescape were king in the MMORPG district. 

I've noticed that on this website WoW has a remarkably low rating compared to how good it actually is. I feel that there's a lot of distaste towards WoW because people believe their MMORPGs are better, have never given WoW a try, etc. I'm getting tired of people dissing WoW and complaining about things like grinding for reputation (which everyone seems to call out despite the fact that WoW's grind is so much less time consuming than most MMORPGs out there). I suspect that many players are jealous that they cannot play WoW (as I was) or tired of their favourite games being beneath WoW. This jealousy has resulted in WoW scoring at 7.73 on this site, which is lower than most games that aren't out yet, and about the same as much worse games like Maplestory (Essentially one big grind with little or no purpose).

What are your thoughts on this?

Well, you are making alot of speculative remarks. You are also putting onto others what "you" felt. My personal on going criticism of WoW is that they keep dumbing it down and removing from the game the sense of "risk/reward". Basically they are catering to young players such as yourself. A lower ability to problem solve and work as a team, a lower attention span threshold. The "instant gratification crowd" as it were.( which actually spans many age brackets.) That said Blizzards  prime target audience, which has grown very clear over the last couple years is indeed the 15 and under crowd. So I am not surprised that you are very happy with the status/playability/fun factor of the game. 

Do I have an account? Yep, but I go through months of not logging in when I get fed up with many aspects of the game that I feel fall far short of what "they could have" been. I usually have two or three games active at any one time, currently I'm keeping active subs to WoW, AoC and LotRO, though really I am barely logging into any of the three these days. 

Btw to the poster later on in the thread who said "Why do we need a reason to dislike WoW?", or something along those lines. If you want to be taken seriously, then you should be able to list out why you like or do not like something. Failing to do so means that your comments are not worthy of bothering to read. I know I and my wife both refuse to accept such weak retorts from our children and it would be nice if more in society wouldn't accept such excuses for answers from those they interact with. I don't have to agree with your stance or comments but I will have more respect for you if you can give me some sort of reason(s) for why you like or do not like something.

• rebelhero1rebelhero1 Member Posts: 229

Originally posted by superdfc

This was during elementary school

Oh goddamn I'm getting old.

Playing: *sigh* back to WoW :(
    --------
    Waiting for: SW:TOR, APB, WoD
    ---------
    Played and loved: Eve and WoW
    --------
    Played and hated: WoW:WotLK, Warhammer, every single F2P

• vicettvicett Member Posts: 11

It's simple.

Wow is the lowest common denominator in the MMOG genre.

Viewed by fans of other more sophisticated MMOGs in the same way that a Rolling Stones fan tends to view a band like N-Dubz.

• GuildWarsAdvGuildWarsAdv Member Posts: 1

Threads like this make me wish we could vote to delete. It's a very over played topic - my opinion versus your opinion.

Yes, I have played WoW. My (now) husband somewhat convinced/forced me to play it back in the end of vanilla/early Burning Crusade. In those days, game play was decent and I found it easy to committ most of my time to one character. When Wrath of the Lich King was released, I really enjoyed spending time with my husband, questing - the story line was good. Blizzard actually tried to add some different mechanics and world elements. We quit WoW a few times, both due to RL and boredom. We came back in late 2009. During that time, I found out how boring the content was. My main was my alliance priest, she had over 6k achievement points mostly from achievements I could solo. So... let's roll alts, I said. At the time my only lvl 80 toons were my priest and dk. from early 2010 to about August 2010 I managed to level and gear all of my level 80 toons to tier 10 content/gear. At that time I had lvl 80 priest, dk, druid, rogue, and paladin. 

Around Aug 2010 I finally caved and rolled horde with my husband on the same server (since alliance population had gone to POT and blizz did nothing to rebalance the suffering servers). He made a guild on horde around July 2010 and after I joined in Aug, we gm'd it together until just recently.

We had made no effort to see content for Cataclysm. We didn't read up on it, we knew very little. Mostly the new quest revamp, zone revamp, graphics upped a tad, and some of the new raid dungeon names. Other than that we knew little. Since WoW had become so boring, we actually avoided knowing too much about Cataclysm, hoping it would be a surprise.

-How wrong we were...

Not only was Cataclysm a horrible disappointment but it was reallllllly boring. With in the first month our guild had managed to grind guild achieves so quickly, we were leading on the server achieve pts for a couple weeks. In the first day people were hitting lvl 85, not even 24 hours in. In the first month I had all my cata reps maxed, for the most part. Dailys became utterly useless. Tol'Barad was a miserable flop. No revolutionary PvP battlegrounds (I don't play WoW to PvP, if I wanted to PvP I would go play a FPS and knife all the noobs) but still. We did raid a bit, we started a bit late. The raid content was ... ok I guess? Exciting the first few times, then very evident after a while, that one dumdum that kept dying early in the fight was what held us back. All this just surmounted to the final picture - almost 6 months into Cataclysm and still no new content patch!?

Needless to say, my husband and I finally said screw it. We are passing on our guild (after buying as many regular members as we can Scorpion mounts with the guild gold) and moving on to better games. Why?

Because in the beginning WoW was good, real players played it. Those real players invited their friends, and in time those friends invited their other friends. After new content releases, the growing population changed player demands. Content began being patched for people who weren't interested in the initial content and mechanics of the game. This chased away the many of the serious players, leaving very few who understood this new MMO monster. This opened doors to accounts being hacked and hijacked, gold spammers, stalkers, and other baddies. From my experience, it seems like many of (not all by any means) of the players now playing WoW are sitting at home, no job, either on disability or welfare - if not, they are usually teens or college kids.

That being said, there is little room for understanding. My husband and I have a kid. Playing WoW used to be ok, but now we need games that don't demand hours of our time since spending time with our kid is important now that he's not a sleepy infant anymore. Not many understand that. Not to mention the demands on money. We pay adult bills, have adult problems, and RL stuff going on. We no longer have time to recruit officers, ask them to fill a role and then log on to find out we still need to plan events for over 400 active 'characters' (not players). We find this utterly disturbing - that people playing a community based game can't plan and organize a raid or PvP group. It could be that Blizzard somewhat killed pugging with the dungeon finder and the hard raid content, who knows.

Since 2007 when Guild Wars 2 was announced, I have been simply waiting. WoW was and always has been a filler. I could definitely spend my time doing something better than WoW, and as of late I do. There are better games out there, even single player games. Why be forced to conform to a game like WoW anymore? This year quite a few MMO's will be turning the table on WoW.

Do you really think WoW will be fun when mass amounts of players leave for other games? Not saying Star Wars will be epically groundbreaking, but I am willing to bet many people will play it based on FAN base alone. Guild Wars 2 will inherit many players from the first Guild Wars campaigns/expansions, and also many new players. RIFT might seem like it borrows much of it's style from other MMO's but at least they tried something a bit different with the invasion aspect.

I guess I could go on all night about this, but I just couldn't let another post like this slip by my very opinionated perspective. World of Warcraft only seems good because it's had 7 years to worth the players to use as guinea pigs. What better way to make money than to cater to a mass population of relatively lazy people? Go, log on to WoW... what is there to do at lvl 85? Reps are maxed... almost, if not, all epics on... professions maxed... farm for gold? That isn't a RPG, that's a disgrace. I shudder knowing Blizzard still tacks RPG on the end...

PS: I did read all the info on the new content/patch. Anyone who has played Zul'Gurub back in vanilla and since run it every reset to try and get the Raptor or Tiger mounts most likely won't want to EVER see the inside of that place again. Zul'Aman? Other than running that every reset... why would I want to see more old content? Didn't I run Deadmines enough on the 10 toons I have lvl'd? Personally, Ragnaros died for me back in Vanilla, plus his new legs/shoes look EPIC... (sarcasm). Creative and original content is something WoW isn't revered for... no. It's revered for it's slum-type community of ignorant and angry trolls who run most of the expansion by flooding trade and ruining raids. Yea, I've seen enough of that clown show.

• superdfcsuperdfc Member Posts: 56

Originally posted by GuildWarsAdv

Threads like this make me wish we could vote to delete. It's a very over played topic - my opinion versus your opinion.

Isn't this what forums are mostly about? That and forum games I suppose.