Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why oh why....

Doesn't SoE give out a free week for those that have bought the game previously? The game looks soooo good, and I hear so many good things from the veterans, so I am hoping that if SoE does one of these free tries for 'vets', that it might attract many new people, me included.

I just dont want to pay to try it, because a population in mmo is essential for me, and when the 1 EU server that's left is almost empty, it doesn't really make me want to pay to try the game :--((

Comments

• ArezonArezon Member UncommonPosts: 282

You probably already know the answer tp that question.

IMO, SOE doesn't give a damn about Vanguard. Just another game to put on their station pass.

You're probably better off just finding another game.

• XtromassXtromass Member Posts: 662

I knoow, but even though they don't care about the game, they can only -benefit- from giving everyone who owns the game a free week/month, they have absolutely nothing to lose...

• Siris23Siris23 Member UncommonPosts: 388

SOE math for beginers

hurting EQ's market share (real or imagined) = bad

actively promoting another mmo in the same maket share as EQ = hurting EQ's market share (real or imagined)

therefore

actively promoting another mmo in the same maket share as EQ = bad

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

There is a free trial for anyone, just do it.

As long as you don't care about the fact that they update the game yearly instead of monthly and the fact that they might cut it anytime it is not a bad game.

I am not sure SOE cut the people because of fear for EQ 1 & 2, I think it is more about money. Once the game was fixed up enough it had very few players and SOe isn't going that well anymore, a re-launch cost money and so does keeping a game updated. They did at least fix it up.

• AutofireXIIIAutofireXIII Member Posts: 35

Give it a try mate. Vanguard is the type of game you ideally need 2-3 regular friends minimum to get things going.

Also, don't play the EU server IMO. I'm from the UK and play on Telon. I've met douzens of Europeans including in my guild. 2/3 of the people i've met there are European players.

I'd say give it a try! I play Kaydra in-game. Give the Island a try and i'm free the next 2 weeks before exams begin so give me a heads up and i'll log in and give you some advice. Same goes for anyone else. If you want to give it a try look me up :) I'll be happy to help!

Autofire

• DecadentiaDecadentia Member Posts: 464

This is the game i'm still considering getting into. Tried the trial multiple times, just too afraid to invest in something that could collapse. Honestly, this is a game that truly wasted its potential. I may keep an eye out for one of those "re-roll" groups for this game.

Try the trial! Its good.

• AglarannaAglaranna Member Posts: 204

Just a little word of warning here for anyone that does the Free Trial and then decides to buy the box.

I did the free trial back in Oct 2010. In March of this year I bought the Vanguard box from Amazon, because it came with the 30 days free. So since I already had a Station Account from the free trial I used that one to start up Vanguard and apply the box key code. Well...little did I know they considered that trial account 'old' and did not give me credit for the 30 day box key code. While checking my credit card this month I noticed the charge from March. I called SOE to discuss this. The guy explained and basically the said "if you had made a new account and applied the key code you would have gotten the 30 days free". Nowhere does it say that free trials are considered 'active' accounts, nor did it tell me when I applied the key code that it was rejected - it just went through and said my next charge would be April 28th, when in fact they charged me on March 28th.

Anyway, I told them to escalate that and that I would be disputing the charge with my credit card company, which I did. In any case that left a bad taste in my mouth and I have canceled my account. Not going to bother with Sony anymore.

So in case you try the free trial and then decide to get a box and apply the code, MAKE A NEW ACCOUNT.

Originally posted by Aglaranna

Just a little word of warning here for anyone that does the Free Trial and then decides to buy the box.

I did the free trial back in Oct 2010. In March of this year I bought the Vanguard box from Amazon, because it came with the 30 days free. So since I already had a Station Account from the free trial I used that one to start up Vanguard and apply the box key code. Well...little did I know they considered that trial account 'old' and did not give me credit for the 30 day box key code. While checking my credit card this month I noticed the charge from March. I called SOE to discuss this. The guy explained and basically the said "if you had made a new account and applied the key code you would have gotten the 30 days free". Nowhere does it say that free trials are considered 'active' accounts, nor did it tell me when I applied the key code that it was rejected - it just went through and said my next charge would be April 28th, when in fact they charged me on March 28th.

Anyway, I told them to escalate that and that I would be disputing the charge with my credit card company, which I did. In any case that left a bad taste in my mouth and I have canceled my account. Not going to bother with Sony anymore.

So in case you try the free trial and then decide to get a box and apply the code, MAKE A NEW ACCOUNT.

I'm quite sure you don't have to buy the game at all, you can simply setup a pay-plan and play from the Trial download. Sounds like you got hosed on a few fronts.

• AglarannaAglaranna Member Posts: 204

Yeah, you don't have to buy the game. But the sub is $15/month and at the time Amazon was selling the box for $9.99 with 30 days game time. So it was actually $5 cheaper, plus I like having the box.

@Decadentia - We started recently. Only level 12 mate! Besides, if you wanted to join us something called a Brotherhead exists. It basically means while you're off-line it splits the xp to other people in the Brotherhood so you all stay the same level even if you can't play together.

As I said before, I wanted to play for so long but didn't because I was scared of what the naysayers had to say. I'm playing now and regret listening to them and wish I had started earlier. Come play, or don't.. just don't sit on the fence for 4 years like I did. Big waste of time! If you want to try it, try it, if not, move on *shrugs*.

Autofire

Well I just subbed and I am downloadin the game, even tho I am EU I'll prolly start oN Telon, seeing how I hear that the EU server is basically dead... How is the PVP in this game by the way? Is it some free for all form , or are all the 3 factions vs each otehr?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by Xtromass

Well I just subbed and I am downloadin the game, even tho I am EU I'll prolly start oN Telon, seeing how I hear that the EU server is basically dead... How is the PVP in this game by the way? Is it some free for all form , or are all the 3 factions vs each otehr?

I don't really think there is a lot of pvp anymore.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

@Xtromass - Yeah mate there's not a lot going on PVP-wise. I do deffinately suggest Telon. Many EU players on there. Look me up (Kaydra) I'll be on between 8am gmt (9am cst)  until late afternoon tomorrow.

Hope to see you there! =)

Autofire

Saddens me to hear that about PVP; but the game still looks appealing. Gave it a try when I found out the current currency :p The 15$ for the sub is the same price as a 4pack of Red Bull here in Norway, hehe :)

• TemeritTemerit Member Posts: 27

Wait, you dont have to buy the game you can just sub it and get it? 

Im kind of hesitant on downloading the trial(mostly because my download speed sucks and I dont want to wait 12 hours to realize I dont like it), but if I can  just go from trial to full Ill probably do it lol

Nope, u dont have to buy it ! :) 

Buuut, if you buy it from Steam you will get it even cheaper then the subscription price ! :)

• hail2dathiefhail2dathief Member UncommonPosts: 232

Yeah i'm pretty sure you can just go straight from trial to just subbing for 15$ a month.  Also, you can buy it on Steam for 9.99$ and get a free month, either way it's up to you but 10$ for a game and a free month is a really good deal too, either way you're winning, bring it!

Edit: Damn beat me to it!!!

Originally posted by AutofireXIII

@Decadentia - We started recently. Only level 12 mate! Besides, if you wanted to join us something called a Brotherhead exists. It basically means while you're off-line it splits the xp to other people in the Brotherhood so you all stay the same level even if you can't play together.

As I said before, I wanted to play for so long but didn't because I was scared of what the naysayers had to say. I'm playing now and regret listening to them and wish I had started earlier. Come play, or don't.. just don't sit on the fence for 4 years like I did. Big waste of time! If you want to try it, try it, if not, move on *shrugs*.

Im highly considering it, I have a level 6 Disciple and lvl 6 Dark Knight, curious whats in your group right now?

Edit; also, anyone else starting up new? This isnt the type of game you want to solo heavily, love to have some mature company :)

• EmothirstEmothirst Member Posts: 12

Sigil hasn't shaken up the MMO experience. It's an evolutionary game, from what I've seen. The fact that it's a bit early out of the gate has caused it to have a number of launch issues, most of which are fairly common to the genre. The slower progression, group focus and huge world all set the game apart from the current MMO behemoth, World of Warcraft. Whether those differences are positive or negative is largely a matter of taste. For now, it's a nice evolution, learning from the smart decisions and mistakes of the MMOs that came before it. Once all of the bugs and other issues get hammered out, Vanguard could end up being a loveable game.

@Decadentia - Well I'm a lvl 14 Disciple now, and my friend is a lvl 14 Pscionist (mage-type) so the Death Knight would be an ideal candidate for the group if you enjoy playing it! But if not, don't despaire we'll figure something out :)

Autofire

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Originally posted by Arezon

You're probably better off just finding another game.

Unfortunately there isnt a game out there that is remotely as good as Vanguard.

I'm planning on playing SWTOR soon, but I dont believe it will get any close to what Vanguard was. Still it seems it will have a lot of story content and a more casual gameplay looks OK to me.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Originally posted by Emothirst

Sigil hasn't shaken up the MMO experience. It's an evolutionary game, from what I've seen. The fact that it's a bit early out of the gate has caused it to have a number of launch issues, most of which are fairly common to the genre. The slower progression, group focus and huge world all set the game apart from the current MMO behemoth, World of Warcraft. Whether those differences are positive or negative is largely a matter of taste. For now, it's a nice evolution, learning from the smart decisions and mistakes of the MMOs that came before it. Once all of the bugs and other issues get hammered out, Vanguard could end up being a loveable game.

Uh - hu.

I am not aware that Vanguard has a greater group focus than WoW.

Of course you cant do dungeons in Vanguard, except if you skillfully play a class with outrageous soloing qualities, such as Dread Knight, or have outleveled said dungeon. But as far as I've been told, you cant do those solo in WoW either.

Other than that, step carefully and know your class decently well, and you'll be able to solo just fine in Vanguard.

And about slower progression - people who knew how could level even a little bit faster in Vanguard, than in WoW. Of course not current WoW - because I heard you now need ONE WEEK to get to maxlevel in WoW. So yeah, not that fast. But at the same speed as WoW had at that time.

Never me though. I never was the one for super speed leveling. I prefer to enjoy the ride. And Vanguard offers tons of quest content on every level, so its really a great game for slow leveling. Thank god to the xp debuff its also perfectly possible to do so.

What it really sets apart, IMHO:

- Much higher challenge rating. Vanguard offers a solid challenge. Some challenges in this game are nothing short INSANE. For example, I never managed to kill one mob in it despite trying douzens of times (Akande), except in a short period when said mob was buggy. The overland raid bosses are extremely hard too. They are 24 people effords, though, so the chance of solving them now is low.

- More clearly defined classes. Everyone has a primary party role assigned. Combat system overall a bit more complex. Different classes differ substantly in their gameplay and individual strengths even if the primary party role is the same and their skill in it overall equal.

- No instancing except for the raid dungeon (APW Ancient Port Warehouse) that had a fixed number of instances (6 of them) which you would enter explicitly (aka "shard 5 is empty, lets use that one").

- And yes, large gameworld. Albeit one has to say - WoW keeps expanding, while Vanguard never had anything added since release, except for the starter island.

@Decadentia - Well I'm a lvl 14 Disciple now, and my friend is a lvl 14 Pscionist (mage-type) so the Death Knight would be an ideal candidate for the group if you enjoy playing it! But if not, don't despaire we'll figure something out :)

Unfortunately have to start from scratch, but I bought the game off of steam so i'm going to frig around. I quite enjoyed the Disciple, the Dark Knight was cool but soloing was a bit of a pain. Pity, I played tanks in many mmo's as well.

Well neither of us really solo. We just play in groups with the guild :) So I can't imagine you'd be soloing -too- much either way. I can tell you now though, Vanguard is veeerry tank-light. Outside of the guild I think i've met 1 DK. So if you wanted to tank, getting spots wouldn't be an issue heh.

A lot of people think they have to solo, so they go for CC classes, kiting classes etc. But I know my Pscionist friend plays EST times and doesn't like soloing so either way you wouldn't be alone most of the time :) If you enjoy tanks, see what tickles your interest. I hear Paladin's and DK's are very good to play and saw a Paladin tearing apart the newbie island keep at the end at lvl 10 solo. Rogue's apparantly are also really fun to play!

Autofire

Well neither of us really solo. We just play in groups with the guild :) So I can't imagine you'd be soloing -too- much either way. I can tell you now though, Vanguard is veeerry tank-light. Outside of the guild I think i've met 1 DK. So if you wanted to tank, getting spots wouldn't be an issue heh.

A lot of people think they have to solo, so they go for CC classes, kiting classes etc. But I know my Pscionist friend plays EST times and doesn't like soloing so either way you wouldn't be alone most of the time :) If you enjoy tanks, see what tickles your interest. I hear Paladin's and DK's are very good to play and saw a Paladin tearing apart the newbie island keep at the end at lvl 10 solo. Rogue's apparantly are also really fun to play!

Alrighty, I rolled another Dread Knight, name = Decadentia.

Anyone reading this looking to play, feel free to add me in game. Leveled him to 8 quickly, likely be playing again on Sunday (Ladyfriend's birthday Saturday)