Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pc gaming is getting bad

Comments

• King_KumquatKing_Kumquat Member Posts: 492

Originally posted by Digitalpain

I was talking to a bunch of my gaming buds the other day about what the results of a poll would be if it asked, "Is gaming getting better or worse?"

I mostly see it getting worse. Not in terms of how graphically awesome or story line sweetness go, but more along the lines of game genre breaking rules. Things like more than 2 factions fighting eachother, more than expansion this expansion that with a couple extra dungeons for people to do the same exact thing they've been doing in the game for the past 4 years.

There are a few games that brought pretty unique and game changing ideas to the MMO community, and some people may not have even played these. I for one have not played all games, so im sure I wont list everything. DAoC came out with 3 realms fighting eachother. That game has the best pvp system by far. Asheron's Call came out with generic races to choose from but you had to spec their stats in any number of weapons, abilities, passives to get a desired "class". Eve Online came out with real time training and a item system that only works for people who decided to train in that item. WoW had mounts, epic dungeon raids and  the Auction House. Other games went all out on generalized graphics or spell graphics or even gear based.

All I see now is sad combos of the same thing over and over. And even now everyone seems to be more interested in adding in the "Cash Shop" to make higher profits from certain types of players. To be honest I'm already tired of the cash shop idea, and ive spent my fair share in cash shops. Fact of the matter is, I see no game changing rules popping out of anywhere. I see no innovation. Creativity in some aspects yes, but no innovations. Same crap different box.

Now I must say, I just saw before replying here, an add on the home page here of "The Secret World". Read up on it, what information was there, and it sound like they may be trying to change some rules. At least rules most MMO's use. They may not be new innovative ideas, but I want something different than yesterdays standard MMO. I look forward to reading more about this upcoming game.

I still vote games are getting worse. At least until I see something mind blowing and then the new trend appear.

Well of your list I'm starting to think MMOs aren't mean to be good video games to begin with. The cost of being massive and multiplayer is difficulty and substance.

As for video games as a whole; I think they've gotten to the point of being WAY F'N AWESOME!

Have you played Red Dead Redemption? Seen a trailer for the Last Guardian? Played the latest Legend of Zelda game? Pretty good time to be alive and in a world where you can play video games instead of hoeing a potato field.

Will develop an original MMORPG title for money.
  • MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

It's true you look at the shelves of PC titles and wonder where are all the good games? However: Another World's Chahi: There's More Creativity Today Than Seven Years Ago points to better things ahead and albeit not just on the PC.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

I am pretty sure they had to do quite a bit of dubbing down for Dragon Age to get it working on the console.  One thing I wondered playing both is why I have companions in the first place?  The way they dubbed down combat makes companions rather unnecessary.  The advantage of the mouse is that you can pause the game and devise a good environment based strategy.  In Dragon Age II I noticed that there is only 1 boss that you need to worry about the environment, and the amount of times you pause to use positional strategy is rare.  There is also a bit more twitch based strategy involved.  The only reason I can think of is that they needed to dub the game down for the controller.

Making a PC game also a console game seems to do this.  Its not so much a problem in reverse as PC players are not adverse to buying a controller.

• i00x00ii00x00i Member Posts: 243

Originally posted by King_Kumquat

How does PC exclsuivity mean that PC gaming is getting bad?

Have you played Dragon Age on a PC and then tried to play it on a console? No wonder it got bad reviews. Also how anyone couuld play the Fallout games or Call of Duty games on consoles is beyond me. 

If anything consoles are just playing catch up or people make really bad ports. 

I think PC gaming is fine, if Steam is any indication of it.

Dragon Age or any other RPG for that matter is most definately played best on a PC. I completely agree with you there. 

But imo call of duty or any other FPS is played best on a console, I mean come on theres really no dumbing down with an FPS's so content's always the same. I like it because I think it takes more skill to use a controller than a mouse, consoles are meant for FPS's.

Most people go through life pretending to be a boss. I go through life pretending I'm not.

• DigitalpainDigitalpain Member Posts: 3

Well of your list I'm starting to think MMOs aren't mean to be good video games to begin with. The cost of being massive and multiplayer is difficulty and substance.

Are you implying that the games I listed suck? If so, then I would love to see what you think rocks.

Slow your role, it's just a game.

• DigitalpainDigitalpain Member Posts: 3

Are you implying that the games I listed suck? If so, then I would love to see what you think rocks.

Slow your role, it's just a game.

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

PC gaming is getting better and better. next whiny, manic-depressive MMORPG.com post.

• DecadentiaDecadentia Member Posts: 464

I started with Commodore 64, it's come a long way. Plus a lot of the funding goes towards consoles, it's more lucrative for the most part...almost a guaranteed return. (Less piracy)

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411

Originally posted by i00x00i

Have you played Dragon Age on a PC and then tried to play it on a console? No wonder it got bad reviews. Also how anyone couuld play the Fallout games or Call of Duty games on consoles is beyond me. 

Dragon Age or any other RPG for that matter is most definately played best on a PC. I completely agree with you there. 

But imo call of duty or any other FPS is played best on a console, I mean come on theres really no dumbing down with an FPS's so content's always the same. I like it because I think it takes more skill to use a controller than a mouse, consoles are meant for FPS's.

You must be in the minority who prefer FPS on consoles but you are entitled to your opinions but it is widely considered that FPS is far superior on the PC.

I have played FPS on both and the PC is so much better and faster with much better accuracy than console versions of the same game. But each to their own which is why games developers cater to both systems.

• i00x00ii00x00i Member Posts: 243

Originally posted by Minn

You must be in the minority who prefer FPS on consoles but you are entitled to your opinions but it is widely considered that FPS is far superior on the PC.

I have played FPS on both and the PC is so much better and faster with much better accuracy than console versions of the same game. But each to their own which is why games developers cater to both systems.

It's just so much easier to aim with a mouse than two joysticks. Of course it seems faster and more accurate, your using a computer mouse xD. To me using a controller takes alot more skill. I grew up playing Halo on the xbox though so I guess I'm just so used to it.

But yea to each his own =]

Most people go through life pretending to be a boss. I go through life pretending I'm not.

• TyrantasTyrantas Member UncommonPosts: 369

Don't think so, it's superior to any console by far.

The only console game i'd like to realy play from time to time is halo reach, but PC has what I need - SCII

Originally posted by SaintViktor

I know it is all about preference but man there just haven't been any good exclusive pc games in awhile. Lately I have been playing Dragon Age,Torchlight and Borderlands on the 360. I do play Starcraft 2 on my pc but that game is so out of balance it is getting pretty bad. I wish there was an a great pc game exclusive coming our way but it is not looking good right now.

Out of balance ? U probably no higher than platinum and talking bout balance... And balance is getting better while it's already really good.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by gainesvilleg

Originally posted by Kalfer

I know it is all about preference but man there just haven't been any good exclusive pc games in awhile. Lately I have been playing Dragon Age,Torchlight and Borderlands on the 360. I do play Starcraft 2 on my pc but that game is so out of balance it is getting pretty bad. I wish there was an a great pc game exclusive coming our way but it is not looking good right now.

Borderlands, Torchlight and Dragon Age are not games I would touch with a stick on Xbox. They run like crap. Those games are meant to be played on PC. As far as I am concerned they are exclusive. Steam > infinity more than Xbox Live.

Also good PC exclusive games are coming out. Ever heard of Shogun 2 Total War? Game is off the chain! Soon Sims Medieval and Battlefield 4 Free too:)

Question on Shogun:  For a Civ4 mod fanatic like myself would I like it?  I'm not a fan of RTS games and think rapid clicking is annoying and prefer a deeper thinking approach to strategy games, so turn based strategy is my preference.  Civ4 mods are amazing, such as RoM-AND mod.  Can Shogun hang with Civ4 mods or will I be dissapointed at the lack of depth?

It is real-time strategy, but you aren't controlling individual units, you control a batallion of like 80-160 units (depending on your game settings). So there is a good chance that you'll control 4-6 units at once most of the time. It isn't comparable to click- and macro-heavy games such as Warcraft III and StarCraft 1 and 2.

The management section of the Total War games is completely turn-based. 

If you are looking for a STRATEGY game then I believe the Total War series are some of the best (if not the best).

Edit: If you're quick you may be able to obtain the Limited Edition.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Originally posted by Tyrantas

Don't think so, it's superior to any console by far.

The only console game i'd like to realy play from time to time is halo reach, but PC has what I need - SCII

The best game I have played in recent history is Uncharted 1 and 2 for the PS3 and nothing else has really come close as far as pure entertainment value and over all quality.

• MeliezaMelieza Member Posts: 269

I actually just picked up The Witcher (the first one) at gamestop a few weekends ago because it was on sale and im loving it so far.  The combat is simple but fun, theres tons to do, and a decent story at the same time.  I agree its worth trying out.

Plus I laid Triss in the first two hours of gameplay, that was...surprising.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Originally posted by Minn

It's just so much easier to aim with a mouse than two joysticks. Of course it seems faster and more accurate, your using a computer mouse xD. To me using a controller takes alot more skill. I grew up playing Halo on the xbox though so I guess I'm just so used to it.

But yea to each his own =]

*looks at the keyboard and mouse that are plugged into the PS3* So I can't use keyboard and mouse on my Consoles? Damn. I could swear I was... Although not all FPS games support it. but there are also other peripherals you can get for both PS3 and Xbox that will let you play any FPS with KB+mouse.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

A friend of mine (he's actually a game producer to boot), sent me this a couple of days ago.  I'm not sure how accurate it is or where it came from, but I'll post it nonetheless since it's pertinent.  There seems to be plenty enough PC exclusives in the horizon.  Kind of promising actually.

• kzaskekzaske Member UncommonPosts: 518

Originally posted by Akarn1007

still looking forward to diablo 3... Starcraft was a big letdown

And you expect Diablo 3 to be better why?

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

its not so much that PC gaming is getting bad.. its that there are so many dodgy console ports around.. and because they want to make games for consoles as well as the PC.. their limited in what they can do with the games.. as any game that makes use of the PC's abilities is too much for any of the consoles to handle, its fast becoming that the only really successful games on the PC are MMO's .. the other thing is that not many retailers carry PC games any more.. so that the only place to get PC games is often an online mail order retailer..or direct download retailers like Steam..  though that bit i can accept.. im getting more than a bit dischuffed lately with the quality of games coming out.. or rather.. the overall lack of quality.. how many games recently have been console ports with problems that affect playability.. cod flops.. or black ops..  ported from the xbox.. ran poorly if at all on the PC.. which was nothing compared to how bad the game was on the PS3.. which even had a lower resolution to contend with.. image

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

The very next game i will buy is "The Witcher 2" via GoG.com bcs they offer it officially without DRM so i dont have to hassle around with it.

I was impressed by "The Witcher" when i had bought i recently as enhanced version, really a game that you can dive into and a nice vacation from the standard rpg.
    Also it has the best male Avatar since Gothic (i really hate to be a steroid grown wrestler type freak).

PC gaming still offers good games and as the consoles fall behind technology every single year really good stuff can only be released on PC!

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by Blutmaul

The very next game i will buy is "The Witcher 2" via GoG.com bcs they offer it officially without DRM so i dont have to hassle around with it.

I was impressed by "The Witcher" when i had bought i recently as enhanced version, really a game that you can dive into and a nice vacation from the standard rpg.

Also it has the best male Avatar since Gothic (i really hate to be a steroid grown wrestler type freak).

PC gaming still offers good games and as the consoles fall behind technology every single year really good stuff can only be released on PC!

ah.. you had to mention it.. DRM.. the absolute bane of PC gaming..  its wrecked more games than i care to remember... and put me off buying more than a few because of it.. but kudo's to GOG if their removing the cursed things.. image

Originally posted by kzaske

Originally posted by Akarn1007

still looking forward to diablo 3... Starcraft was a big letdown

And you expect Diablo 3 to be better why?

You are right you can't expect it to be better, sc2 is too good.

• ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825

PC Gaming is actually getting better. 

There is a wider audience than ever before playing PC games. Parts for computers cost a lot less than they used to in order to get a decent PC setup to play a game. Thanks to Steam, Impulse, EADM and other services competing with each other, one can buy a full game + expansions and have them install to your comp without needing to keep CDs and DVDs. If your system shall ever crash, you can download everything again straight from the server...

Thanks to PC backwards compatibility you can play your favorite games all the way from Windows 95 and even 3.1 thanks to the modding support. Most games have a fan based community that have programmers working on fixes, mods and compatability. Finally, a lot of PC multiplayer games sell well on Consoles and has become their most successful multiplayer games..

As for PC gaming content? I am waiting on Guild Wars II, Phantasy Star Online 2 and Elder Scrolls 5. 

Consoles are the ones losing population. The PS3 lost population thanks to Sony's implementation of their playstation network. Sure, many gamers exist there...yet in order to have full access a player must register to three seperate networks and buy their game versions. Right now the integrated graphics of a 2600K i-7 processor is stronger than a 360s video card alone. A lot of their populations have gone to SmartPhone and Handheld Gaming....Where Wii was doing ok, but then nintendo released a new handheld because consoles arent selling in Japan and now all the sequals are moving to handhelds. 

So much for protected investment....You can buy a PC and get whatever comes out...3 - 5 years later, you can buy a new game even under an old OS and still have your compatibility while a console gets phased out and when you wish to play your games after the console breaks, you either take the emulation route, buy a used console or wait for rereleases upon new consoles with crappier sound and weird adaptations and story changes and shell out another $30 - $50. 

Remember, 30 - 40% of Console Games are the PC multiplayer games....while 20 - 30% are now rehashes and ports, while most remainders are crappy games no one except a very specific crowd will play...Unless you think the majority of people will go for High Fashion Barbie or Hello Kitty comes home....or some Zero to One Star Rating game....

Sorry, but console owners are fed up in paying for consoles + handhelds + smartphones to play a series of games. PCs are way better for protecting your investment. You don't need a sequal to be release for a really cool mod to give you a reason to return to a game. 

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by Shinami

PC Gaming is actually getting better. 

There is a wider audience than ever before playing PC games. Parts for computers cost a lot less than they used to in order to get a decent PC setup to play a game. Thanks to Steam, Impulse, EADM and other services competing with each other, one can buy a full game + expansions and have them install to your comp without needing to keep CDs and DVDs. If your system shall ever crash, you can download everything again straight from the server...

Thanks to PC backwards compatibility you can play your favorite games all the way from Windows 95 and even 3.1 thanks to the modding support. Most games have a fan based community that have programmers working on fixes, mods and compatability. Finally, a lot of PC multiplayer games sell well on Consoles and has become their most successful multiplayer games..

As for PC gaming content? I am waiting on Guild Wars II, Phantasy Star Online 2 and Elder Scrolls 5. 

Consoles are the ones losing population. The PS3 lost population thanks to Sony's implementation of their playstation network. Sure, many gamers exist there...yet in order to have full access a player must register to three seperate networks and buy their game versions. Right now the integrated graphics of a 2600K i-7 processor is stronger than a 360s video card alone. A lot of their populations have gone to SmartPhone and Handheld Gaming....Where Wii was doing ok, but then nintendo released a new handheld because consoles arent selling in Japan and now all the sequals are moving to handhelds. 

So much for protected investment....You can buy a PC and get whatever comes out...3 - 5 years later, you can buy a new game even under an old OS and still have your compatibility while a console gets phased out and when you wish to play your games after the console breaks, you either take the emulation route, buy a used console or wait for rereleases upon new consoles with crappier sound and weird adaptations and story changes and shell out another $30 - $50. 

Remember, 30 - 40% of Console Games are the PC multiplayer games....while 20 - 30% are now rehashes and ports, while most remainders are crappy games no one except a very specific crowd will play...Unless you think the majority of people will go for High Fashion Barbie or Hello Kitty comes home....or some Zero to One Star Rating game....

Sorry, but console owners are fed up in paying for consoles + handhelds + smartphones to play a series of games. PCs are way better for protecting your investment. You don't need a sequal to be release for a really cool mod to give you a reason to return to a game. 

Sadly your wrong, PC gaming really is getting worse. Success for PC games vs. their console counter parts is limited to Old School style RPG's and MMORPG's (The traditional hotbar cooldown watching style of play for games like WoW), RTS games and puzzle games. The reasons are numerous as to why. 

Hacking - Hacking and cheats as well as bots have run rampant. Anti cheat setups are easily bypassed on PC and there is no sure fire way to keep them from comming back when they do get rid of some. When someone does get banned for hacking or cheating it's a minimal cost for them to bypass the ban and do it again. Hacks and cheats are seen far less often on consoles and bans are a good bit more costly to bypass. 

Compatability - While most have PC's now days not all can keep them up to date. Graphic cards, processor speeds, intricate cooling systems, New OS's, etc. Games on PC's don't work well or even at all on all PC's. 

Peripherals - Just as a mouse is never quite as good on a console as it is on a PC neither is a controller as good on a PC as it is on a console. Fact of the matter is PC gaming doesn't have the peripherals to handle more action oriented games. Sure the mouse is better for aiming in FPS's, but what else? Would you rather play Mortal Kombat on a PC or a console? What about a Boxing game? How about sports games in general? Sure you can look at a console and see simplistic, but in reality it's streamlined. 

I have a fairly nice setup. 

Razer Naga

Wolf King Timber Wolf

Logitech G13

Now my setup is pretty friggin bamp, but it doesn't do me much good for something like Mortal Kombat, DCUO, etc. PC gaming Peripherals aren't a one stop shop. You need a controller (Which I have as well) to fill it out and in my experience controllers on PC's just weren't meant to be. There's always some akwardness or klunkyness. 

Next issue with the peripherals is .... why the hell do I need all this crap? My G13 has macro's for so many games it's not funny. I need gear change macro's, skill set change macro's, looting macro's, harvesting macro's, combo macro's, and it goes on and on and on and on. Here's why I need all this crud, PC games aren't streamlined. They are cumbersome and klunky. They are so bloated with uneeded crud that it's not funny. GW2 looks like it's cleaning things up a lot, but other than that.... wth? Look at rift, how many skills do I really need for crying out loud? If I use this skill to get access to that skill why AREN'T they on the same key and why DOESN'T it switch when I can use the other skill? It's asinine. 

Then we come to the last issue with the peripherals. If looting or gear changes or skill set switching is designed to be so cumbersome... then why allow equipment that negates it? If your going to allow peripherals that negate it, why not just streamline it to begin with? Players are going to streamline it anyways and all that work and effort that went into making mechanics combersome and klunky for w/e reason go out the window. 

An example, in DFO you have to manually loot each item from a corpse. This was fine and all until suddenly have the player base was using a loot macro to instantly loot everything. If it's done to create competition well, it failed as the insta loot happened anyways. 

Comfort - Well this ones easy, I spend a good bit of time at my computer desk doing 3D modeling, Animating, texturing, etc. Others spend a great deal of time checking email, chatting with friends, watching movies/shows, etc. When I'm debating on what to play my nice comfy recliner has a certain tie breaker appeal that just can't be ignored. My 55 inch Sony Bravia has a certain Tie Breaker appeal as well. 

I could go on but this has become a huge wall of text and I'm tired. PC gaming has become far less popular than console gaming for most besides the casual gamer that likes the facebook stuff/Browser games, RTS's players, Old School style RPG's, MMORPG's (For now at least) and some select shooters. Most other types of gaming a slam dunk win for the console. 

I will say that with my beefy gaming rig I was utterly dissapointed in the fact that Call of Duty Black Ops looked so much better on my PS3 than it did on my PC. 

PC gaming isn't dead, but it's not doing to hot. 

• generals3generals3 Member Posts: 3,307

Originally posted by Shinami

You do realize that the console market is much much bigger than the PC one? And that it has been growing a lot more? And according to forecasts mobile gaming (i-phones, smartphones, etc.) is going to obliterate both.

PC gaming has been and will remain the underdog of the gaming market. Sad but true.

You may be fed up , but the market most certainly isn't.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt.
    Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.