Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are those that didn't obsess over WoW gonna get more out of Rift?

Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

I know there's a WoW comparison thread.. I know the games are simular.. I've actually played WoW for about 3 weeks, after the 3rd week I let my sub run out and never looked back.. Game wasn't for me, i won't delve into the reasons why.. I found solace in EvE Online and since then that was the "go to" MMO for me.. I subbed on and off for about 8-9months until Rift was released.

I participated in Rift's beta 3&4 events and i had a alright time for the most part.. But towards the end it just felt so stale (i was on my 3rd lvl 20 character though) i even canceled the pre order i had.. I was planning to just wait out SWTOR and take a break but after reading all the positive things on Rift after it released i really wanted to give it another shot..

I'am glad i did as i've finnaly found a MMO i could see myself playing for a few months.. I've actually joined into a pretty large guild and am really getting into the mechanics of this game.. Everytime i log in it feels fresh and new for me.. Take War Fronts for example.. They feel like a new experience to me because the two MMO's ive played the longest (AION+EvE) never had them.. But for someone who spent a lot of time playing WOW they probably feel really stale and uninspired even.. Same with instances, AION (pre 2.0 is when i played) at launch had like 5 instances for each faction, and they wernt all nescarry to do.. EvE didn't have them at all.. So even these instances feel new to me.

Do you guys think that those who have very limited experience with WoW/Theme parks are likley to get more enjoyment from Rift? I defiantly do..

Currently Playing:
Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I played WoW for about 3 and a half years. I'm enjoying Rift a good bit. I could see myself playing for a few more months definitely. Depending on what they do with the game I could see myself playing for another 6 months.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• inBOILinBOIL Member Posts: 669

rift warfronts are ultimate crap compared to wow.

in rift theres that huge mess where everybody clicks everything on everybody and theres no way to get any accurate data whats going on.

in wow it is the main weapon ,to plan how you gonna attack next and that data is delivered clearly.

Generation P

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i dont have any obsession over any game. Actually, im so indecisive with mmos that i try to enjoy the bit of time i give to any mmo i play... i played WoW on and of for a couple years (private server, still on and off) and subbed with the cata launch and enjoyed it even more (and still play it on and off)...

i got Rift and played many classes up to lvl 20-23 only....and cancelled sub (got couple weeks left). I have only enjoyed Rift for like 30 minutes to 1 hour a day (not every day), for some reason i cant play rift longer than that.....

I also bought AoC + godslayer all for $20 in an offer and havent subbed either but i enjoyed the free month of AoC more than Rift so i will probably stick with AoC and WoW (both on and off) untill something different comes out...

not counting GW2 because its B2P so as soon as i buy GW2 i will want a sub game to pair it with (i cant play just 1 game till end game) i need variety and theres not one game out there that gives me enough variety to stick with it only....

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

I think people that are not alt-o-holics can get a lot ou of Rift.

Originally posted by Ausare

thats true.... im an alt o holic and i got tired of repeating the same things with all chars in Rift :(

Rift is more for ppl who stick with 1 char per faction

• Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

Originally posted by rojo6934

thats true.... im an alt o holic and i got tired of repeating the same things with all chars in Rift :(

That'd be me lol.. I don't think ive ever hit lvl cap more then once in a MMO (or any game) since Diablo 2..

But it looks like from what im seeing a lot of people that dislike or quit Rift have some longtime experience with WoW.. I'am just interested in finding a poster who hasn't played WoW (hard to find on this website i guess lol) and get their intake on Rift.. Or even someone who's first MMO is Rift.. The #1 complaint i see is with Rift is it's tired, tried, and true mechanics.. To someone that is new to the genre that's probably not a big deal, it's actually probably a good thing.

As for WoW vrs Rift warfronts you can compare the two in the WoW comparision thread.. IMO WoW's BG's were lacking but like i said i only played for the first 2-3 weeks of my 90day sub and made it to only lvl 50ish.

Currently Playing:

• mastersomratmastersomrat Member UncommonPosts: 373

Yep

Originally posted by Hellfyre420

That'd be me lol.. I don't think ive ever hit lvl cap more then once in a MMO (or any game) since Diablo 2..

But it looks like from what im seeing a lot of people that dislike or quit Rift have some longtime experience with WoW.. I'am just interested in finding a poster who hasn't played WoW (hard to find on this website i guess lol) and get their intake on Rift.. Or even someone who's first MMO is Rift.. The #1 complaint i see is with Rift is it's tired, tried, and true mechanics.. To someone that is new to the genre that's probably not a big deal, it's actually probably a good thing.

As for WoW vrs Rift warfronts you can compare the two in the WoW comparision thread.. IMO WoW's BG's were lacking but like i said i only played for the first 2-3 weeks of my 90day sub and made it to only lvl 50ish.

surprisingly i have never reached lvl cap in WoW... got a lvl 84 with crappy gear and stopped rolling it cos i got tired of mages. Before cata i never got a lvl cap toon (not even on prrivate servers)... thats how much indesisive i am when chosing a class to stick with it..... lol it happend also with Rift and AoC too.... i think ill have to stop just focus on 1 specific class and try to love it over anything else lol

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I participated in Rift's beta 3&4 events and i had a alright time for the most part.. But towards the end it just felt so stale (i was on my 3rd lvl 20 character though) i even canceled the pre order i had..

Do you guys think that those who have very limited experience with WoW/Theme parks are likley to get more enjoyment from Rift? I defiantly do..

Eh? Contradict yourself much? image

As for the OP question, the answer is NO, not even close.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

I'm enjoying Rift a lot more than WoW. I only played WoW a month or two. However, I really had 2 huge problems with wow. 1. I thought the art was terrible. Spiked shoulder pads that would cut your head off if you raised your hand, dwarves or gnomes or whatever they were looking like my-little-pony style art. 2. the combat was too simple.

Granted, the combat in Rift isn't too complex but at least the soul combos distract me from that. I didn't feel the talents in WoW were as varied (of course I never got past mid-level so I could be ultimately wrong).

I found the mechanics in Fallen Earth, AoC, TR, DCUO superior. I'm still subbed to some of those, but the main thing Rift has going for it is that I've been grouped a lot. And why else play MMOs?

Plus the soul system reminds me of the flexibility of CoH and GW1 which are two I've played the most over the years.

I find Rift a good game. Great game? I don't know yet.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

All depends on current perspective of a player.  For example,you could say I was "obsessed" with WoW for many years.  However, it never stopped me from playing and enjoying other(some not all) MMOs.  Now that I'm playing Rift I enjoy it just as much. 

I think folks who can't break away or "change" their perspective are either very stubborn and narrow minded or they have other psychological issues, which isn't all that unheard of, in letting go of things.  Very similar to the Pack Rat psychosis, some people just can't let go and if you try to change that habit or remove anything from it you get massive backlash.  That's my take on it.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Yes, I actually do. But I also think that people who played EQ since launch were less likely to love Wow.

Most MMOs are rather similar and many of us have played them since 10 years or more (15 for me). That do mean that some of us are tired of the more or less the same mechanics, UI, combat and similar quests.

Rift is a well made game but for people who played similar games many years the game need to at least feel a little different. Maybe Biowares story, GW2s DE instead of quests or TERAs more action like combat will be better for burnouts.

That does not mean Rift is a bad game, it is an excellent beginner game and some MMO vets still love it, but I agree that long time MMO players are less likely to get hooked than newer ones, but that doesn't just go for Wow players. EQ2 and LOTRO are both very similar as well, as are many other games.

• ibe12ibe12 Member Posts: 35

I've never played WOW and I  like Rift a lot. I had stopped playing for about a week but got the itch to play again and went back. I"m sure WOW is a great game I just never had the urge to play it. My favorite mmo is Guild Wars but I don't sit around comparing other games to Guild Wars. I just take a game for what it is and hope I can get a few months out of it.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Out of our group of friends the guys who have played a lot of different MMOs (WoW included) pretty much all passed on Rift. The guys who have taken a few years off from MMOs all decided to buy it and are having fun. I do think there is a substantial population of players who are just tired of these games all being so much alike and that caused them to pass on Rift. It isn't just WoW though, there have been a lot of MMOs that are all really similar over the past 5 or 6 years.

• OnarixOnarix Member Posts: 84

Originally posted by Ender4

Out of our group of friends the guys who have played a lot of different MMOs (WoW included) pretty much all passed on Rift. The guys who have taken a few years off from MMOs all decided to buy it and are having fun. I do think there is a substantial population of players who are just tired of these games all being so much alike and that caused them to pass on Rift. It isn't just WoW though, there have been a lot of MMOs that are all really similar over the past 5 or 6 years.

This point is correct, the MMO genre is dead for most gamers because of the brainwashing wow has given them.

Free to play means pay to win.

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

I know there's a WoW comparison thread.. I know the games are simular.. I've actually played WoW for about 3 weeks, after the 3rd week I let my sub run out and never looked back.. Game wasn't for me, i won't delve into the reasons why.. I found solace in EvE Online and since then that was the "go to" MMO for me.. I subbed on and off for about 8-9months until Rift was released.

I participated in Rift's beta 3&4 events and i had a alright time for the most part.. But towards the end it just felt so stale (i was on my 3rd lvl 20 character though) i even canceled the pre order i had.. I was planning to just wait out SWTOR and take a break but after reading all the positive things on Rift after it released i really wanted to give it another shot..

I'am glad i did as i've finnaly found a MMO i could see myself playing for a few months.. I've actually joined into a pretty large guild and am really getting into the mechanics of this game.. Everytime i log in it feels fresh and new for me.. Take War Fronts for example.. They feel like a new experience to me because the two MMO's ive played the longest (AION+EvE) never had them.. But for someone who spent a lot of time playing WOW they probably feel really stale and uninspired even.. Same with instances, AION (pre 2.0 is when i played) at launch had like 5 instances for each faction, and they wernt all nescarry to do.. EvE didn't have them at all.. So even these instances feel new to me.

It is a very simple concept if you think about it.  I will say it once again. Until people quit trying to play any new release MMO's like they play WoW there is no new game that is gonna please the WoW crowd. This mindset that has been instilled into players since Warcraft's brainwashing has got to stop. Frankly I just don't understand the overwhelming desire to reach level cap as soon as inhumanly possible, never reading any quest descriptions, constantly running solo, being rude to others or completely ignoring chat, ignoring crafting and not bothering to play the auction house, etc. etc.

With this kind of MMO concept and new age playstyle even the upcoming new games like SW-ToR or even Guild Wars 2, people are going to continue griping, complaining and shouting FAIL until the end of time if this shit doesn't stop. For gods sake people slow down and enjoy the journey and all the content a decent new game has to offer. Again this kind of playing must stop! RiFT is one of the best new games to hit in a very long time if one would only slow down and enjoy the scenery. I myself was starting to play in this way but being an old school MMO player I managed to break away from this mindset and RIFT helped show me the path to salvation!

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

Originally posted by ibe12

I've never played WOW and I  like Rift a lot. I had stopped playing for about a week but got the itch to play again and went back. I"m sure WOW is a great game I just never had the urge to play it. My favorite mmo is Guild Wars but I don't sit around comparing other games to Guild Wars. I just take a game for what it is and hope I can get a few months out of it.

Play WoW for a bit and I guarantee you will come back to RIFT. Is is so much better than WoW from all standpoints and you by not having played WoW are free from the brainwashing that Blizzard has managed to instill in it's player base. This would be an experiment I would like to hear about if you ever do decide to play WoW. An unbiased choice indeed. I would definetly love to see what your opinion would be as for comparing the two games from a fresh standpoint! Keep me informed if you ever do

• osc8rosc8r Member UncommonPosts: 688

OP - Aion had a WF in the form of dredgion, and the fact that it only spawned once a day was a good thing in my eyes, as it wasn't the be all and end all of PVP like it is in Rift... thus world PVP existed.

As for your question, no, I played WOW for a month or two until they added PVP points, at which point PVP became nothing but a mindless zergfest. It never really took my fancy anyway, as it was all about gear > skill.

And yet I still found Rift to be shallow and lacking, especially in regards to PVP. Sure, Warfront's should be a fun addition to meaningful RVR, but when they are THE endgame PVP (read:grind)... boredom sets in very quickly.

• ZoulzZoulz Member Posts: 477

Originally posted by Wrender

It is a very simple concept if you think about it.  I will say it once again. Until people quit trying to play any new release MMO's like they play WoW there is no new game that is gonna please the WoW crowd. This mindset that has been instilled into players since Warcraft's brainwashing has got to stop. Frankly I just don't understand the overwhelming desire to reach level cap as soon as inhumanly possible, never reading any quest descriptions, constantly running solo, being rude to others or completely ignoring chat, ignoring crafting and not bothering to play the auction house, etc. etc.

With this kind of MMO concept and new age playstyle even the upcoming new games like SW-ToR or even Guild Wars 2, people are going to continue griping, complaining and shouting FAIL until the end of time if this shit doesn't stop. For gods sake people slow down and enjoy the journey and all the content a decent new game has to offer. Again this kind of playing must stop! RiFT is one of the best new games to hit in a very long time if one would only slow down and enjoy the scenery. I myself was starting to play in this way but being an old school MMO player I managed to break away from this mindset and RIFT helped show me the path to salvation!

This is what I truly dispise. People whom believe they are superior and want to "teach" others how to lead their lives. What gives you the right to tell people how they should enjoy a game? What makes you think that everyone should correct themselves after your tastes? Are you that self-centered? Frankly, your comments about wow players reeks of ignorance and prejudice. If you enjoy Rift then by all means, play it. Let wow players enjoy their game.

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535

Play WoW for a bit and I guarantee you will come back to RIFT. Is is so much better than WoW from all standpoints and you by not having played WoW are free from the brainwashing that Blizzard has managed to instill in it's player base. This would be an experiment I would like to hear about if you ever do decide to play WoW. An unbiased choice indeed. I would definetly love to see what your opinion would be as for comparing the two games from a fresh standpoint! Keep me informed if you ever do

That's quite a guarantee, I enjoyed WoW but wouldn't even dare to step back in the game but after I beat RIFT (yes beat - Rank 6 - All dungeons - now what) WoW was actually a more enjoyable experience. That's a personal opinion such as your post, wouldn't classify that as a guarantee to anyone.

• hail2dathiefhail2dathief Member UncommonPosts: 232

Well WoW has much more content and has been out for years so of course it has more to offer atm.  Rift to me isn't really that great of a game and neither is WoW but that's just my opinion and i'm mostly burnt out on MMO's.  That said, if Rift were out for say 5 yrs or so the game would have much more upside than WoW, again IMO.  The class system is better than WoW's and the Rifts or "public quests" however you look at them, is something that WoW doesn't have as well.  If you could put all the yrs worth of patches and expansions into rift that wow has then Rift could easily be a better game just for the fact it will offer more and have a little more diversity than WoW.  In time, I believe, Rift will be the better game for people who enjoy this style of game.

• Musket-SquidMusket-Squid Member UncommonPosts: 386

Originally posted by Heretique

That's quite a guarantee, I enjoyed WoW but wouldn't even dare to step back in the game but after I beat RIFT (yes beat - Rank 6 - All dungeons - now what) WoW was actually a more enjoyable experience. That's a personal opinion such as your post, wouldn't classify that as a guarantee to anyone.

If you beat the game already i doubt you experienced much at all but grind , grind, grind. are you exalted with all the factions? Have all the cheese in it? If not then you didn't beat it. You just  played till you feel like you won.

How many delicate flowers have you met in Counterstrike?

I got a case of beer and a chainsaw waiting for me at home after work.

Originally posted by Zekiah

I participated in Rift's beta 3&4 events and i had a alright time for the most part.. But towards the end it just felt so stale (i was on my 3rd lvl 20 character though) i even canceled the pre order i had..

Eh? Contradict yourself much? image

As for the OP question, the answer is NO, not even close.

Actually i'd contradict myself if you just counted in the red as what i said.. But, if you read what i said in ( ) it clearly states i was on my 3rd lvl 20 toon on a event that only allows you to lvl 1-20.. So ofcourse, it's gonna feel stale when you've done the same thing 3 times already.

But, from what i've noticed from beta events to launch is almost all the quests during the beta events were place holders..

Currently Playing:

• MoodahMoodah Member Posts: 181

MMOs in genral are very supportive of obsessive behaviour. 

With WOW having milions of players, if just a fraction of those moves somewhere else, they can fill a significant part of some other MMOs - like RIFT. 

They were unsatisfied and don't get the kick out of WOW the way they used to, but they still like how it works. Like locust they descend on every new MMO that comes out in search of a new expirience, but continue playing the new game the same way they played WOW for years.

Then they start complaining that the new game is in such and such way different than wow and that it's absurd and should be promptly corrected.

Since they now form a significant part of the new game's playerbase, the developers are bound to listen to the whining, so they take stepps to make them happy, in order to keep them from moving.

Players in the end realise that what they really want to play is WOW, so they go back to it after a few months, leaving the new game.

Non-Wow players of the new game left behind, are unhappy that suddenly the game resembles wow more than it did before, and they also start leaving, because if they wanted to do it, they would play wow in the first place.

Only the most devoted folowers stay in the new game, which now all of the sudden barely survives on leftovers.

That is what happens in every single MMO that comes out. It is just a genre of the game that demands long term devotion and people who leave still are not looking for the new, they want back the feeling that the game they ran away from gave them some time ago. Problem is just that WOWs playerbase is such an overwhelming portion of the market, that the migrations of even a small percent of it's users can really impact the lifecycle and development of other games.

It realy comes down to what the developers do post-launch. Wether they choose to cater to the ex-wow playerbase in hope they will remain (which is think is next to impossible), or to build their own playerbase, being satisfied that they just milked some money from the wow-migrants, counting that they will eventualy go back anyway, and invest that money into building their own devoted comunity over time, slowly but constantly raising it's numbers (what eve did),

Sadly, for some reason, most choose the first option, to their own detriment.

Originally posted by osc8r

OP - Aion had a WF in the form of dredgion, and the fact that it only spawned once a day was a good thing in my eyes, as it wasn't the be all and end all of PVP like it is in Rift... thus world PVP existed.

As for your question, no, I played WOW for a month or two until they added PVP points, at which point PVP became nothing but a mindless zergfest. It never really took my fancy anyway, as it was all about gear > skill.

And yet I still found Rift to be shallow and lacking, especially in regards to PVP. Sure, Warfront's should be a fun addition to meaningful RVR, but when they are THE endgame PVP (read:grind)... boredom sets in very quickly.

Actually dredgion popped 3 times a day.. 12noon pm, 8pm, and midnight.. I made it for each reset back when i was in the top legion on fregion.. I loved dredgion, even training was fun.. But, that was the ONLY war front for AION at launch and since it only popped 3 times a day it could hardly count as one for most, sometimes you'd never even get a que because by the time most ppl hit the required lvl for dredgion (42 or 44 i think) the population exodus had already happened..

But yeah, i forgot about dredgion.. I still have screen shots of us getting 18k+ against the asmos.. Good times lol

Currently Playing: