Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some pointers for a noob.

ultrastoatultrastoat Member Posts: 172

Just picked this up yesterday, played it for a little while and I'm rreally interested in the title. However, they don't explain squat to you with regard to items, skills, etc.

So, I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on the terminology / items / abilities? For example, what is a linkpearl? how do I attune to an area's crystal thingy?

Comments

• bakagamibakagami Member UncommonPosts: 152

Originally posted by nhavas

Just picked this up yesterday, played it for a little while and I'm rreally interested in the title. However, they don't explain squat to you with regard to items, skills, etc.

So, I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on the terminology / items / abilities? For example, what is a linkpearl? how do I attune to an area's crystal thingy?

I'm right there with you, I started yesterday too but I played FFXI so I'm just a bit more informed about a couple of those questions.  Linkpearls are objects that let you communicate with others remotely.  

there are two types, the NPC linkpearls that you use to communicate w/ the NPC whose questline you are currently following (nice convenience feature that keeps you from having to jog back and forth to the NPC every update) when the NPC wants to communicate w/ you a golden pearl will flash in the upper right corner of the screen, then just click NPC linkpearl on the menu to communicate w/ the NPC.

the second type you get from other players that belong in a linkshell.  this is like a guild.  the pearl providing communication between everyone who has a pearl from that shell.

to attune to the area crystal, there may or may not be an NPC standing close by that will give you the option of attuning to it, making it your homepoint.  I've come across two crystals one had an NPC the other didn't (or I just couldn't find him)

as to the rest, I'm just as lost as you are.  I'm starting to get the hang of it but only within the boundries of the beginner story arcs.

which server did u choose?  I'm on Mysidia

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

When you stand close to a crystal, you get a new option at the top of your main menu. If you use that, you attune to the crystal.

Originally posted by Naqaj

When you stand close to a crystal, you get a new option at the top of your main menu. If you use that, you attune to the crystal.

thats how you interact w/ the crystal.  I thought he meant to bind it as his home point which you do at the NPC

• ultrastoatultrastoat Member Posts: 172

Originally posted by bakagami

thats how you interact w/ the crystal.  I thought he meant to bind it as his home point which you do at the NPC

Thanks for the replies! That is what I meant. Binding to it the same way you'd "Bind" to an inn in WoW, unless i'm misunderstanding the purpose of the crystals.

Also, and this one really puzzled me... I died just once, but it took me ten minutes of random clicking to res, and I had to hit 'return", which teleported me back to town. Is that the only way to res?

Also is there an online index of stuff in this game. Such as an in-depth user manual. The one it comes with is crap.

Originally posted by nhavas

Thanks for the replies! That is what I meant. Binding to it the same way you'd "Bind" to an inn in WoW, unless i'm misunderstanding the purpose of the crystals.

Also, and this one really puzzled me... I died just once, but it took me ten minutes of random clicking to res, and I had to hit 'return", which teleported me back to town. Is that the only way to res?

Also is there an online index of stuff in this game. Such as an in-depth user manual. The one it comes with is crap.

tell me about it,  that book doenst say jack.  tho it did help me set up my square-enix acct which so far has been the most challenging part of the game.

actually the purpose of the crystal (Aetheryte) is to start levequests plus check your faction & guardian standings.  why it didn't give you an option to bind the homepoint there too is beyond my understanding but thats how they did it.   to start a levequest, do as naqaj said, you'll also see a blinking chat bubble icon at the top of the screen that take u there too.

• lectrocudalectrocuda Member Posts: 604

they really compicated a somewhat simple part of the game, just to make it seem different?  I was wondering about trying this game, but if the only thing that has a tutorial is setting up your account, I know what they are all about...

To the caterpillar it is the end of the world, to the master, it is a butterfly.

what I'd really like to know is how do you learn the skills from other class disciplines

• KyrocKyroc Member Posts: 70

Firstly, you cant bind yourself to an Aetheryte. Your bind point will always be the last aetheryte you interacted with. When you die, open your menu and hit return, it will take you to the last aetheryte you touched. It would have taken you back to town cause either you havent interacted with any Aetherytes as yet, or the one in town was the last one you touched.

One type of NPC near an Aetheryte will let you set that particular Aetheryte as a favourite destination. You can have 3 of these in total and will cost you half the anima to teleport to compared to teleporting to one that is not your favourite. You can only teleport to Aetherites that you have already touched.

To learn skills of different classes you have to level up that class. So say your a Pugilist and want to learn cure, you will need to rank up Conjurer. All you have to do is change your weapon to a Conjurers wand or cane, and you will switch to that class, then go out and kill mobs to gain skill as normal. Skills are automatically given to you every second level.

Once you gain the skill, you then have to add it to your ability bar. You can only add a certain number of abilities, but this increases as you rank up.

So to continue the previous example, once you hit rank 4 Conjurer and learn cure, you can switch your weapon back to Pugilist and add Cure to your ability bar.

One thing to note is that abilities from other classes will not work to their full potential. Example: Cure on Conjurer can be single target or AoE, however, put it on pugilist and its single target only, it also heals for less and has a longer cool down

actually Naqaj was right, it does bind at the crystal.  the thing that muddied the waters for me was at the first crystal camp I came to theres also an NPC that will ask you if you'd like to bind to the camp even tho the crystal is only a couple feet away.  binding to the crystal is automatic, the first time you interact w/ it, it becomes your home point,  sorry Naqaj

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

actually Naqaj was right, it does bind at the crystal.  the thing that muddied the waters for me was at the first crystal camp I came to theres also an NPC that will ask you if you'd like to bind to the camp even tho the crystal is only a couple feet away.  binding to the crystal is automatic, the first time you interact w/ it, it becomes your home point,  sorry Naqaj

You were kind of right. Those NPC provide an additional functionality. You can have a shortlist of locations (up to 4 I think) where you can teleport for reduced anima cost. That's what the NPCs are for, to add that location to the list.

In order to bind to a crystal so you can go there with the "Return" command, you just need to interact with it.