Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Loot and my concerns with GW2

124»

Comments

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Originally posted by gobla

--- lotsa smart things ---

Kinda painful to think of how much time you must have spent writing this to respond to what is essentially a troll thread :(

• FalfeirFalfeir Member UncommonPosts: 492

GW2 the way i see it is a game of "want", not "need". You do what you want to just because you want to.

You want a piece of gear, you play related content, you get it. You dont need to do that again 100 more times.

You enjoy a dungeon, you play it as much as you want, as soon as possible, you wont need to find a class X, wont have to schedule with 20+ people.

Hence the f2p, you wont feel any pressure

hence the better community.

hence the carrot not moving away but at your plate waiting for you to eat it.. if you want to.

All you have to be is, not suck at the game. GW was not a walk through the park, there were easier contents but there were very hard ones also. I expect something similar here also.

I need more vespene gas.

• impiroimpiro Member Posts: 204

GW never had EPIC gear as in WoW. The max stats for a weapon could be easily optained, even bought from  NPCs. It is all about the LOOK of the gear. And htat is what makes it so much more interesting and it doesn't feel like a requirement.

I always wanted WoW to have this kind of system. Just make alllthe gear from raids purely aesthetically valuable. This makes it possible to make raids much harder as the gear isn't a requirement to stay competitive. I really see no point in endlessly grinding for the BEST gear of the month, making everybody look exactly the same....

I want to have special looking gear that really shows off that you achieved something. If WoW had this system instead of the mindless treadmill, I would probably enjoy the endgame.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by Xzen

I think I saw some one ask or say something about skill capture. I'm pretty sure I saw an interview where they said that would not be in GW2.

There won't be any skill capturing in GW2 because all your skills are purchased from trainers. However what will be replacing it is Traits capturing, which will have you completing set tasks in order to acquire traits. This will likely be a whole new meta-game for GW2, because Traits are what allow players to truly define their character's playstyle and I'd certainly go out of my way to acquire Traits for WvWvW.

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

Originally posted by Naqaj

Originally posted by gobla

--- lotsa smart things ---

Kinda painful to think of how much time you must have spent writing this to respond to what is essentially a troll thread :(

C'est la vie.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• Amphib_IanAmphib_Ian Member Posts: 170

As a more casual gamer myself OP's complaints sound right up my alley for a good time. Maybe i was wrong about GW2...

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

Originally posted by Theodoryk

Originally posted by CzechGuy

Originally posted by Master10K

I guess this will be a huge problem for all the WoW-refugess this game will harbour. It will take a great deal of patients to teach these people that it can actually be fun to do challenging content, without it being a gear-grinding treadmill. Let's just hope they'll be an in-game focus group, to support all these lost souls, who lose their will to progress without having that carrot-on-a-stick to lead their way.

You make fun of the carrot on the stick approach to MMO's but without it what is exactly the incentive?

You can say its "fun" but thats not really a valid answer because its way to broad a term and "fun" is relative to what each individual enjoys. Without a carrot to look foward to this game will offer nothing but what? Leaderboards styled after FPS games?

Whats the point to that again? and how does that differ from anything WoW introduced?

Answer= it doesnt.

GW2 is sadly sounding shallower and shallower. Just like GW1 was. A shallow quasi FPS niche game.

I don't play soccer to get shinier trophies and shoes, I play for the joy of the game and for the personal satisfaction of mastering the skills required to be an excellent soccer player. My approach to mmo's is no different. Chasing ever more powerful pixels with each new expansion is a scam, imo.

I agree with Theodoryk about his soccer approach.Games should be gameplay and fun focus. Allthough we are talking about an mmo RPG and rpg's tradionally have a grand focus on finding gear. Discovering magical powerfull items in dungeons crypts or in the wilds was always a major factor of ethism of any rpg and none can deny that.

I think it s not right either wow's or gw2 approach for gear distibution.  I believe the most fun way gearwise is diablo's enormous random generator gear creation upon drops so no standard predisgned sets are waiting in x boss(wow) and neither ready to buy with points u obtain throught dungeons or events (gw2+wow) . I also am sceptical about the fact that gw2 in pvp tournaments which is all ppl will care concerning pvp ,u wont be able to equip your well earned gear that u gained throught many adventures in the game but all ppl will have the same set pre equipped. And i ask here why???

Why should a player that plays the game 5 days have same gear with an x guy that is playing 7 months the game?

Sure ,skill plays a big role and not the gear but still. Its like a 15 years old adventurer  wannabe kid challenges a veteran knight . What chances the kid would have vs that knight? Surely the kid maybe more talented or gifted than the knight as person but all that expirience in combat or adventures so far the had knight in his life should be enough to kick the kid's butt even if he was unarmed and the kid was armed to the teeth. That example ofc refer rpg wise comparing 2 fellows of a supposed medieval fantasy society but i hope u get the point .

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

So from what i have read this games loot system is pretty standard fare except there will be no Need/greed/pass kind of system which means no competition for items and DKP systems will be completely irrelevant.

Also dungeon gear (and most gear in general) will be purchased with karma points from E-mart vendors in town? Honestly that is not an exciting way to do loot as it becomes nothing more than an unexciting grind where you know exactly when you will require an item.

Will there even be raids? And since gear is basically normalized across the board stat wise why even run anything difficult? Whats the incentive exactly? The everyone is a winner and we all go out for juiceboxes, icecream, and pizza after the game mentality makes for a boring game.

In all honesty this game sounds about as casual as they get. In alot of ways it looks fun but when it comes to loot it seems to be taking a big step back actually. Another welfare gamer system where "epics" drop like candy and everyone is on an even plaing field? Is that what GW2 will be?

God i hope not

If you like being on the wrong end of a loot lottery over and over again, having to run the same dungeon dozens of times, not because you enjoy it but because you want your drop, then GW2 is probably not for you.  But no worries.  There are *many* games out there that cater to that kind of repetition.  I like this game because, among other reasons, I won't be forced into the same loot-grind treadmill that other games "feature". 

I guess if the RNG is your friend, I can understand your position.  Unfortunately, it hates me -- and the feeling is mutual.

Anyway, the "standard fare" loot in this game looks spectacular.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by tazarconan

*snip*

Why should a player that plays the game 5 days have same gear with an x guy that is playing 7 months the game?

Sure ,skill plays a big role and not the gear but still. Its like a 15 years old adventurer  wannabe kid challenges a veteran knight . What chances the kid would have vs that knight? Surely the kid maybe more talented or gifted than the knight as person but all that expirience in combat or adventures so far the had knight in his life should be enough to kick the kid's butt even if he was unarmed and the kid was armed to the teeth. That example ofc refer rpg wise comparing 2 fellows of a supposed medieval fantasy society but i hope u get the point .

You answered your own question there... because the guy who has been playing the game for those 7 extra months should be a lot better and more confident in his or her/own skill. Why should gear be added to the factor of the equation in "who is better?" in what is looking to be a highly competitive part of the game? If you're just not that confident in your actual skill then just PvP in the The Mist, because there you get to keep your gear and be a part of the zerg.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

{mod edit}

No, only players that are programmed to expect the same old gear treadmill endgame expect the same in every game. The gear treadmill is as shallow as you can get in MMO's.

{mod edit}

• BhorzoBhorzo Member Posts: 192
    I love this thread. It shows us that for every 1 person GW2 disappoints with their changes, they excite and please and satisfy 20! This is clearly a sign that they are doing things right!
  • PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

{mod edit}

{mod edit}

And REAL MMO players will enjoy the game BECAUSE there is no loot grind. Loot =/= MMO. Loot = the carrot that they use to keep you going through the skinner box until you're bankrupt and living with your parents. A REAL MMO player will enjoy the game as a GAME, and not as a way to pretend that you're better than someone because you lifelessly ground Raid X 2,000 times. "No matter what game you play, you're still a social pariah to the rest of society." -Casey, The MMO Report.  {mod edit}

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

DAOC wasn't really about the loot at all and that game thrived. Games like EVE and UO were about collecting money more than anything and both of those thrived.

Even original WoW wasn't that bad for a gear grind, the tier 1 armor wasn't that huge an upgrade over dungeon set armor.

There are 3 basic types of player in MMO and of course tons of hybrid players that fall between the 3 extremes.

1) PvPer - These guys generally don't want a gear grind because good PvP is about balanced gear.

2) Casual PvEer - These guys tend to roll tons of alts and just enjoying learning new classes and having fun. These guys tend to dislike gear grinds as well because they don't want to spend countless hours at max level just trying to gear up one guy just to see a new raid come out just as they come close to being geared.

3) Hardcore Raider - These are the guys that might not enjoy GW2. These guys always want the biggest and baddest gear they can get and think it isn't fair if anyone can do as much as they can in the game.

The majority of players will be just fine with GW2, the hardcore raider will probably want to stick with WoW.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Originally posted by Ender4

DAOC wasn't really about the loot at all and that game thrived. Games like EVE and UO were about collecting money more than anything and both of those thrived.

Even original WoW wasn't that bad for a gear grind, the tier 1 armor wasn't that huge an upgrade over dungeon set armor.

There are 3 basic types of player in MMO and of course tons of hybrid players that fall between the 3 extremes.

1) PvPer - These guys generally don't want a gear grind because good PvP is about balanced gear.

2) Casual PvEer - These guys tend to roll tons of alts and just enjoying learning new classes and having fun. These guys tend to dislike gear grinds as well because they don't want to spend countless hours at max level just trying to gear up one guy just to see a new raid come out just as they come close to being geared.

3) Hardcore Raider - These are the guys that might not enjoy GW2. These guys always want the biggest and baddest gear they can get and think it isn't fair if anyone can do as much as they can in the game.

The majority of players will be just fine with GW2, the hardcore raider will probably want to stick with WoW.

Just to add to this. If you fall into the "hardcore raider" Their isn't anything wrong with you liking gear grinds. You already have a couple good games to check out and a couple more on the way. Have fun.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

I'm normally not a fan of skill based MMORPG's, because, well, I have no skill I suppose.  And while i enjoy getting gear to increase my character's abilities, I've grown very weary of the 'gear treadmill' that's out there right now, so am looking forward to GW2's approach to gear.

It's true, for those who enjoy raiding snd getting the next level of gear items, this game might not hold a lot of appeal.  But it sounds like it will be a different experience (and different isn't always better I realize) and right now that's good enough for me.

Looking forward to playing it when it releases (Hurry up ANET, get busy)  image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• x_argus_xx_argus_x Member Posts: 1

The OP complains about everyone being the same and no one is going to stand out because of it. He points out how Karma vendors are just going to sell whatever you want to buy for your character. He also points out how there is going to be no raiding. He tries to make it sound as though somehow these things are going to cause Guild Wars 2 to flop and fail. I find many holes in these arguements. For one thing, if anyone has ever played World of Warcraft for any amount of time (I have, for over a year), they will come to the understanding that, while not called Karma, there happens to be a system JUST like Karma in place, in WoW. It's called Justice/Honor/Conquest points. So this arguement is not valid. His arguement about when everyone is special, no one is. If you play World of Warcraft long enough to get to around 50 or so, you begin to see that most people have almost the same gear/gems/enchants on their characters (at cap). Along with the same "specs" and same talent trees. There's nearly no room for breaking the mold and playing the way you want. Everyone expects you to have certain talents, trees, gems, enchants and foods. I'm not saying it's a bad thing. It's how the game's mechanics are designed. What I am saying however, is this arguement too is invalid. As to the whole raid arguement. Yes, I do enjoy raiding. Yes, I think it's nice to have multitudes of people gathering to do one thing. I however hate the fact that if I need something, someone can roll need and take it from me so they can sell it, or use it for an off-spec. Another aspect I hate about almost any MMORPG that I am aware of is how anyone at any time can just bail out of a dungeon, raid or any other type of activity the second they roll need on something and obtain it. Or because the tank is in a foul mood, he bails mid-fight, leaving everyone to struggle through whatever they're fighting. I think the whole token system is a nice change of pace, it ensures that those who do not finish said dungeon will not get anything.

TL;DR: I think this guy's a troll and have poked holes in his complaints. I think if Guild Wars 2 does everything Anet claims, it will be a great change of pace for MMORPGs as a whole.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Please try not to take the bait. Locking this thread

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.