Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Loot and my concerns with GW2

Comments

• TheodorykTheodoryk Member Posts: 1,453

Originally posted by romanator0

Originally posted by Theodoryk

Originally posted by CzechGuy

Originally posted by Xzen

Also the feature the OP is complaining about is thought by most to be the worst End Game content ever devised.

You mean raids?

Worst thing ever devised for endgame content?

lol.

Forgive me my ignorance but aren't raids just dungeons with more people? I really don't understand what makes them so different from regular dungeons other than the amount of people.

You can faceroll a dungeon. Endgame raids usually contain mechanics which wipe the raid if it doesn't follow a strict series of coordinated group actions on certain boss fights etc. Generally, endgame raiding requires a high degree of coordination and individual player competence. Hence the qq about raiding.

ps: I hate raiding.

So raids are basically the compensation for the shitty and poorly designed regular dungeons that are usually put in? Go figure.

Yeah but you have to add the idea that they "compensate" with bs-fests that take hours to complete, are boring as hell, and offer as a reward coming back and doing it twenty or thirty more times so everybody in your guild gets gearded in crap that will be rendered obsolete in the next patch.

"Speaking haygywaygy or some other gibberish with your mum doesn't make you foreign."
    -baff

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

so happy gw2 will never be a grindfest. might set precedent for other mmo's

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Originally posted by Xzen

Also the feature the OP is complaining about is thought by most to be the worst End Game content ever devised.

You mean raids?

Worst thing ever devised for endgame content?

lol.

Forgive me my ignorance but aren't raids just dungeons with more people? I really don't understand what makes them so different from regular dungeons other than the amount of people.

You can faceroll a dungeon. Endgame raids usually contain mechanics which wipe the raid if it doesn't follow a strict series of coordinated group actions on certain boss fights etc. Generally, endgame raiding requires a high degree of coordination and individual player competence. Hence the qq about raiding.

ps: I hate raiding.

So raids are basically the compensation for the shitty and poorly designed regular dungeons that are usually put in? Go figure.

Yeah but you have to add the idea that they "compensate" with bs-fests that take hours to complete, are boring as hell, and offer as a reward coming back and doing it twenty or thirty more times so everybody in your guild gets gearded in crap that will be rendered obsolete in the next patch.

While I think there are a couple easy to fix problems with the way raids are designed. Again we were talking about the end game gear grind and not really the raids.

• CzechGuyCzechGuy Member Posts: 86

Originally posted by AKASlaphappy

I don't play soccer to get shinier trophies and shoes, I play for the joy of the game and for the personal satisfaction of mastering the skills required to be an excellent soccer player. My approach to mmo's is no different. Chasing ever more powerful pixels with each new expansion is a scam, imo.

Don’t tell him that, otherwise there will be post all over the web about how shallow soccer is. Oh my god, soccer does not have loots, it is so stupid, how can anyone play anything without lootz, that is so 1980ish. 

Yes because everyone is a fan of 0-0 ties in soccer. What a blast that is to watch amirite?

Thats basically what GW2 is gonna be it sounds like. a 0-0 tie between non competitive players in a community rec league. Sounds awesome.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

I don't play soccer to get shinier trophies and shoes, I play for the joy of the game and for the personal satisfaction of mastering the skills required to be an excellent soccer player. My approach to mmo's is no different. Chasing ever more powerful pixels with each new expansion is a scam, imo.

Don’t tell him that, otherwise there will be post all over the web about how shallow soccer is. Oh my god, soccer does not have loots, it is so stupid, how can anyone play anything without lootz, that is so 1980ish. 

Yes because everyone is a fan of 0-0 ties in soccer. What a blast that is to watch amirite?

Thats basically what GW2 is gonna be it sounds like. a 0-0 tie between non competitive players in a community rec league. Sounds awesome.

That post makes no sense what-so-ever.

Somebody wins in a soccer match, but you aren't playing for the express purpose of winning the trophy. People play soccer because they think its fun, not because they want the trophy (or at least the majority do).

• i00x00ii00x00i Member Posts: 243

well I was gonna post a rant on skill>gear but if the OP hasn't gotten the picture from all the other posts by now then it's kind of pointless xD

Most people go through life pretending to be a boss. I go through life pretending I'm not.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

1. So from what i have read this games loot system is pretty standard fare except there will be no Need/greed/pass kind of system which means no competition for items and DKP systems will be completely irrelevant.

2. Also dungeon gear (and most gear in general) will be purchased with karma points from E-mart vendors in town? Honestly that is not an exciting way to do loot as it becomes nothing more than an unexciting grind where you know exactly when you will require an item.

3. Will there even be raids? And since gear is basically normalized across the board stat wise why even run anything difficult? Whats the incentive exactly? The everyone is a winner and we all go out for juiceboxes, icecream, and pizza after the game mentality makes for a boring game.

In all honesty this game sounds about as casual as they get. In alot of ways it looks fun but when it comes to loot it seems to be taking a big step back actually. Another welfare gamer system where "epics" drop like candy and everyone is on an even plaing field? Is that what GW2 will be?

God i hope not

1. Yeah. Usually not a big deal, it is already like that in GW and if you get something you don't need you just trade it instead. The fact that noone ninja loots your stuff is worth the whole thing, most people playing with their guildmates still give any loot they get to the guy who actually needs it.

2. Dungeon specific armor and certain stuff in the open world will be stuff you buy, yes. Most MMOs have similar things with daily quests. But there will still be rare items dropping as well. Not that it is a big deal since we are talking mainly fluff here, items from the same level have about the sam epower no matter what.

3. No raids. But if you actually played GW you should now that some part of the game is really difficult. No one that suck have an obsidian armor there. Dungeons will hard enough, some really hard. Do you really think more players makes it harder or easier? Everybody will not be a winner here, there will be loads of blood and tears.

The game is not focused on items at all. There wont be any tier of endgame gear, you can use the cheap vendor gear at 80 and still fight on equal or close to equal terms with someone that have dobne every dungeon in the game (gear wise). Gear is more about looks.

But that is also what makes the game hard. You can't get any gear that makes almost the entire endgame a walk in the park.

Still, if you like gear a lot this will not be a game for you. I have a feeling most hardcore raiders wont like this game, and not because it is easy or casual but because you can't get better gear than the rest people, it will just look cooler.

• AKASlaphappyAKASlaphappy Member UncommonPosts: 800

Yes because everyone is a fan of 0-0 ties in soccer. What a blast that is to watch amirite?                                      Thats basically what GW2 is gonna be it sounds like. a 0-0 tie between non competitive players in a community rec league. Sounds awesome.

Oh yes, you are so right there cannot be real competition without competition over loot. It’s not like GW2 has things in development to promote completion between players; because the fact is they are not competing over phat lootz that make it’s a non-competitive rec league. Right?

Yep, sounds to me like there is no reason what so ever for any real competition! After all the only reason to compete is for loot.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

But I'm pretty sure that PvP will have a winning side and be rewarded for winning. Just as you will be rewarded for completing a dungeon/raid. What you seem to want is a raid that has the chance to not reward you at all for your achievement.

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

conserning these "hostile posts"...

@OP:  its hostile mostly because of the tone of your initial post.  I'm not saying that there aren't jerks on these forums that would just rant about how you are worried about loots and stuff, but, correctly asked, this question could have gotten lots of responses about how awesome the loot system in GW2 is (along with why none of your worries are warrented).

just saying.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

That is not at all the point here. The point is to even the playing field.

Gear wont help you, the player with most skills will win both in PvP and PvE. That is what competition is about, not who got the best gear.

You really want to see a soccer game where one team have cardboard boxes on their feet instead of shoes?

Competition is about being good, not about what gear you have. It is fine if you like having good gear and get a kick out of it, no problem but don't say it is competetive, it is the opposite.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

Do you seriously play MMOs to "win?" If you do, I recommend you quit them aaaannd... play single player games! :)

• MorcotulconMorcotulcon Member UncommonPosts: 262

That post makes no sense what-so-ever.

Somebody wins in a soccer match, but you aren't playing for the express purpose of winning the trophy. People play soccer because they think its fun, not because they want the trophy (or at least the majority do).

Well, if this discussion is about the SPORT, I think he's talking about professional soccer -.-" But to be professional, they have to like playing soccer right? So, when you have a kid and put him in a soccer team, try saying to him "You have to win son, or you're a loser!". He will lose the interest in playing the game if he loses the first games, or if he's not a good player at the beguinning. Believe me, I'm a coach, I know! But if you make him feel good for playing the game, improving even little things, and specially HAVING FUN, he will probably stay in the team if likes to play the sport, and probably grow as a player and can reach professional someday.

About the OP: Well, it's because of dice-rewarding-gear, gear stats enphasis, boring dungeons, unnecessary-classes-for-teams and other things that I lost my will to play MMORPGs a year ago. I still try some F2P games, and I can't play them for more than 2days. It's always the same old boring bull***t!  I played MMORPGs for 11 years untill 1 year ago (it makes 12 years, but I don't even want to count this year), and we know that for the last 4-5 years, the MMORPG dev teams never tried to fixed the issues of their olded systems and made even more problematic ideas, never trying to solve the issues of all their systems. I don't blame them completely, since they get a lot of money that way, why to solve something that gives a lot of money and few creativity?

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615

So from what i have read this games loot system is pretty standard fare except there will be no Need/greed/pass kind of system which means no competition for items and DKP systems will be completely irrelevant.

Also dungeon gear (and most gear in general) will be purchased with karma points from E-mart vendors in town? Honestly that is not an exciting way to do loot as it becomes nothing more than an unexciting grind where you know exactly when you will require an item.

Will there even be raids? And since gear is basically normalized across the board stat wise why even run anything difficult? Whats the incentive exactly? The everyone is a winner and we all go out for juiceboxes, icecream, and pizza after the game mentality makes for a boring game.

In all honesty this game sounds about as casual as they get. In alot of ways it looks fun but when it comes to loot it seems to be taking a big step back actually. Another welfare gamer system where "epics" drop like candy and everyone is on an even plaing field? Is that what GW2 will be?

God i hope not

Your mind is set on "Loot", NOT "Immersion" or "Story". That is how I am perceiving it.

First thing is to get your mind off of "Loot", then get it off of (Sorry all, I must say it..) "WoW". And add to your mind the words "Story" and "Immersion".  You'll be in a better place. The "Loot" is just Icing in GW2.........To me. :)

Hope it helps.

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

Originally posted by windsoul44

Your mind is set on "Loot", NOT "Immersion" or "Story". That is how I am perceiving it.

First thing is to get your mind off of "Loot", then get it off of (Sorry all, I must say it..) "WoW". And add to your mind the words "Story" and "Immersion".  You'll be in a better place. The "Loot" is just Icing in GW2.........To me. :)

Hope it helps.

There are other things you can focus on as well. Like beating the snot out of someone on equal terms or so.

But some people do really get a kick out of getting new loot and there are plenty of game for them, just not this one. prefering games about loot is not something better or worse than caring for other stuff, I think OP just realized that this game wont be for him and that is not a problem.

I on the other hand spent 4 years in the first GW with basically the same thing so it sounds great for me.

• MorcotulconMorcotulcon Member UncommonPosts: 262

Originally posted by atticusbc

Do you seriously play MMOs to "win?" If you do, I recommend you quit them aaaannd... play single player games! :)

So your gonna play GW2 "balanced" PvP oriented content to lose?

I recommend you quit and go play single player games.

Compelling argument chap.

No, he's going to do it to kill some guys and to win of course but knowing that losing is a probability and that the answer to that depends on how good he is as a player, and not how good his gear got from doing 100x the same dungeon for 1 helmet. But why would he play a game that he might lose every time? ---> FUN and knowing he's capable of more with the same conditions as all the other players! 

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

So from what i have read this games loot system is pretty standard fare except there will be no Need/greed/pass kind of system which means no competition for items and DKP systems will be completely irrelevant.

Also dungeon gear (and most gear in general) will be purchased with karma points from E-mart vendors in town? Honestly that is not an exciting way to do loot as it becomes nothing more than an unexciting grind where you know exactly when you will require an item.

Will there even be raids? And since gear is basically normalized across the board stat wise why even run anything difficult? Whats the incentive exactly? The everyone is a winner and we all go out for juiceboxes, icecream, and pizza after the game mentality makes for a boring game.

God i hope not

It seems like you're riding the "worst that can happen train". I personally don't like that kind of attitude, if you don't like the fact that you're guaranteed to get some sort of loot no matter who you are as long as you participated then I have nothing to say to convince you. Your idea of fun is an excercise in tedium and grind in my eyes, DCUO and Rift are always there if you enjoy that type of loot system.

This is not a game.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

... That... doesn't actually make sense. But whatever. Yes I will play to win, but, unlike you, I recognize the impermanence of the victory. You don't win an MMO forever. Sure you may have wasted years of your life grinding for phat lewt of leetness, but an expansion will come out and it will become obsolete, or nerfed, or what have you. And then what? You gonna "win" again? You. Don't. Win. Forever. Did you win WoW? Can I see your medal?

EDIT:

Originally posted by Morcotulcon

No, he's going to do it to kill some guys and to win of course but knowing that losing is a probability and that the answer to that depends on how good he is as a player, and not how good his gear got from doing 100x the same dungeon for 1 helmet. But why would he play a game that he might lose every time? ---> FUN and knowing he's capable of more with the same conditions as all the other players!

Thank you. Stole the words out of my mouth.

• AKASlaphappyAKASlaphappy Member UncommonPosts: 800

{mod edit}

I am curious, why did you put balance in quotation marks?  Is it because you believe without gear making a difference, that PVP will be bland and it will be the non-competitive rec league you brought up.  If that is the case you do know there is such thing as player skill right? And that player skill will give an advantage over other players, so the fights are not going to be a boring non-competition soccer league.

Let me ask you this, when you watch soccer or any sport do you like watching skilled players play?

Then why do you have a problem with GW2 PVP? There is skill involved they just took out the equipment factor out of the game.

Or do you only consider soccer, or any sport, competitive when one side gets regular apparel and the other side gets flamethrowers and Gatling guns?  Because that is what gear based games have in it, have you ever watched a group of twinks in World of Warcraft take on non-twink players? It plays out like the soccer game with one team running around with Gatling guns and flamethrowers, and that sounds like great competition to me!

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

The first thing people ned to elanr about Anet and GuildWar in general is the lack of end game gear....I guild wars there are 1.5k armor piece that have the SAME STATS as 15k armor pieces. you have weapons that drop off of regular monsters that have THE SAME STATS as one that drop from bosses. People create max level character for the sake of PvP and choose and class and any skills they have unlocked. 

end game content like dungeons and PvP have been beaten and played time and time again..."but if not for gear then for what"?

Guild Wars (and guild wars 2) will never, ever be about grinding or raiding. WHy have i killed duncan the black over and over and over again...its a blast playing with my guild and i like geeting cash for new armor sets (that have the same stats that i have now) and buying weapons (with the SAME stats that I have now)

Guild wars was never about gear..guild wars 2 will not be about gear. The games are abut how the players use the skills they bring with them, and how they work along side the rest of their group. WoW players and raiders will not find confort in Guild Wars 2 and you all will see the Hate threads that come soon after launch.

However I will be playing my buy to play game and enjoying the hell out of it becuase of its lack of grind and its Rpg elements and the skills that it takes to play at a high level (if i ever get there)

CzechGuy...Loot is something no one is worried about...because loot is not important in the overall span of the game. Sure i want to look as bad-ass as I can. But i wont be trying to run a dungeon 40 or 50 times just to see a certain piece of gear drop.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I am curious, why did you put balance in quotation marks?  Is it because you believe without gear making a difference, that PVP will be bland and it will be the non-competitive rec league you brought up.  If that is the case you do know there is such thing as player skill right? And that player skill will give an advantage over other players, so the fights are not going to be a boring non-competition soccer league.

Let me ask you this, when you watch soccer or any sport do you like watching skilled players play?

Then why do you have a problem with GW2 PVP? There is skill involved they just took out the equipment factor out of the game.

Or do you only consider soccer, or any sport, competitive when one side gets regular apparel and the other side gets flamethrowers and Gatling guns?  Because that is what gear based games have in it, have you ever watched a group of twinks in World of Warcraft take on non-twink players? It plays out like the soccer game with one team running around with Gatling guns and flamethrowers, and that sounds like great competition to me!

I don't know about soccer, but I think baseball would be alot more exciting if they had flamethrowers.  As for the loot, I hate waiting to get drops because they are always for a different class. I think the loot will work out great.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

just out of curiousity has arent net stated what the payment options will be for gw 2? I see alot of people assuming they will be buy to play like gw 1 so i was wondering.

arena net didnt make much money of guild wars. Guild wars  2 has had a very nice budget to make. So u sure it will be a purely buy to play title.

im not trying to put a bug in the ointmnt just curious. This game sounds like a fun play through. Even if i probably wont try it i havent heard anything about how they intend to make back there money.

i have heard rumors it will be more buy to  play with a cash shop to make money after launch so was curious.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Originally posted by kalinis

just out of curiousity has arent net stated what the payment options will be for gw 2? I see alot of people assuming they will be buy to play like gw 1 so i was wondering.

arena net didnt make much money of guild wars. Guild wars  2 has had a very nice budget to make. So u sure it will be a purely buy to play title.

im not trying to put a bug in the ointmnt just curious. This game sounds like a fun play through. Even if i probably wont try it i havent heard anything about how they intend to make back there money.

i have heard rumors it will be more buy to  play with a cash shop to make money after launch so was curious.

Will there be a subscription fee for Guild Wars 2?

Nope. Like the original Guild Wars, there will be no subscription fee for Guild Wars 2. You just buy the game and play it online without paying a monthly fee.

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/game-faq/#four

The official site is your friend.

• TGSOLTGSOL Member Posts: 274

I think all sports should follow the "phat loot" grind of MMO's. Playing for merely cosmetic things like a "Trophy" that just sits there (akin to beating a dungeon solely for "cosmetic" gear instead of uber phat lootz with instane armor and damage) is stupid.

I propose that all players start out naked, and they must earn their gear as they win. First you get basic clothing; shirt, pants, etc. Then a cup and some kneepads. Eventually your team gets full-on body armor and all sorts of perks (only need 5 yards for first down perk in American Football, all goals are worth two points in soccer, etc., if you win a championship game).

The whole point of playing will, as it should be, to get more and better stuff, so that you can win more games by virtue of your better gear, which will allow you to win more often so you can get even more stuff which will allow you to get better gear so you can... ad infinitum.

• TGSOLTGSOL Member Posts: 274

On a more serious note, I think GW1 had it right with the skill capturing system, as far as rewards go.

Personally, I find it much more exciting to get a new skill as a reward for killing a boss (via that skill capturing ability - sorry, I haven't played the original GW since before Factions came out so I can't remember any names), as new skills allow for more gameplay options and builds, as opposed to new gear which simply lets you do the same thing only slightly better.

Of course, to maintain "skill over Gear/Ability Stats," the skills aquired must not be "better" so much as they are "different" - i.e. they allow for greater strategic diversity as opposed to simply giving you more power.

Or if you're going to go the gear-focused route, make lots of different types of unique gear with unique functions (think Ratchet and Clank or a similar game, where "new gear" meant new gadgets with unique functions).

I'd much rather defeat a dungeon boss and get "Boots of Wall Climbing" (which let me, you guessed, walk up walls, allowing for all sorts of new gameplay options) than "Boots of +1 More Agility Than Your Previous Boots."

This discussion has been closed.