Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Time to Merge Servers?

Comments

• MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399

Sounds like a problem with your server population. I started on a release server, so it was packed for 1-2 weeks (queues every night for hours). The server is still packed most of the time, and there is no lack of people around.

Some servers might need a look for population, but I have seen zero problems on mine.

And RIFT being a solo game? It totally is a solo game until you hit 50. It is retarded, but is the way it goes with these new "casual friendly" MMO's. You can blame all the anti socials and losers with no social skills for this. They might as well rename the games to Massive Single Player Online, as that is what they are turning into for the most part. Especially when leveling up, it is basically exclusively solo, except for a dungeon run here and there.

• Silverthorn8Silverthorn8 Member UncommonPosts: 510

Just checked the shard status for US and EU, it's 16:06 gmt and server status for almost all servers are at medium. Looks fairly healthy to me!

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Originally posted by Silverthorn8
    Just checked the shard status for US and EU, it's 16:06 gmt and server status for almost all servers are at medium. Looks fairly healthy to me!

Medium starts at something like 300 players so this really doesn't mean very much. These servers cannot live at low, if a server starts being low on a regular basis it would need to be merged or shut down.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by mCalvert

Originally posted by elocke

Server merges.  ROFLMAO.  If you think that, then you must truly be a troll.  If anything, I want server transfers because my PC lags to hell in Sanctum and Boss raids during invasions due to far too many people around.

Also, I woke up at 4 am the other night, couldn't sleep.  Hopped on and made a new toon on a PVP server.  The server list had ONE server that stated LOW pop.  ONE!  all the rest were high and medium.  Server Merge?  Really? 

{mod edit} 

{mod edit}  Wait till you hit Sanctum and THEN tell us if you don't see anyone.  On that note, I'm going to roll a toon on Lotham later and see if your blowing smoke up our butts.

• dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679

Originally posted by Hyperbeam

Originally posted by jpnole

Nice attempt at trolling but we all know the population in EVERY server in Rift is more than adequate.

Yep, because god forbid that 6 month sub of yours you like to display so proudly, is a waste of money :P

Fanbois are just the other side of the coin that trolls also occupy...regardless of whether he's, 'right', or not your statement is just as bad.

His statement is true fact.  No matter what time you log in all servers are at medium and some at high.  Some servers still have queues in the middle of the week.  At least that is putting forth a true statement.

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

lol

Server merges.  ROFLMAO.  If you think that, then you must truly be a troll.  If anything, I want server transfers because my PC lags to hell in Sanctum and Boss raids during invasions due to far too many people around.

Also, I woke up at 4 am the other night, couldn't sleep.  Hopped on and made a new toon on a PVP server.  The server list had ONE server that stated LOW pop.  ONE!  all the rest were high and medium.  Server Merge?  Really? 

{mod edit} 

{mod edit}   Thanks and take care.

{mod edit} 

Wouldn't be the first time.  I stand corrected, also edited my post.  At least I can admit when I'm wrong and then publicly say so.

• zeuseasonzeuseason Member UncommonPosts: 69

I've noticed a big low level pop on PvP versus PvE servers.  The PvP servers have a small low level pop, whereas the PvE servers still have a flood of low level players burning thru zones.

Want to see more players while leveling?  Play on a PvE server.

EDIT:  I see no reason for a server merge by any means.  Even on the PvP servers, there's tons of lvl50 players and stuff to do.

• A_hiA_hi Member Posts: 87

From my limited experience on Imperium EU (both defiant and guardian, multiple characters leveled to 15 (trial account cap)), the amount of characters in low level zones was comparable to WoW, maybe a little bit higher - so anywhere between 5 to 10 characters in the tutorial zone and 20-40 in the following one.

• JoarnajJoarnaj Member Posts: 258

I took advantage of the free play this weekend, and ive seen maybe 1 or 2 people at a time. Social only shows a few hundred people on and most at level 50. Which means its basically a solo game. Most of the rift, events I have been doing solo. Seems like a major flaw to the game. How are you supposed to fight back a world event, epic mobs, with only 10 people?

So that's what you saw on a weekend, eh? How hard did you look I wonder. Are you talking about 1 or 2 people doing the exact same quests you were doing? I'm just curious.

At 2:10 Eastern time, 40 minutes ago on a Monday afternoon, which I'm guessing - and it's just a guess here - is not exactly peak, I logged into Harrow, a server that has consistantly not been full since launch and as a pvp rp server does not have the numbers that many other launch day servers have. The following are the numbers currently playing Defiant only:

lvl 1-10, 17

lvl 11-15, 15

lvl 16-20, 25

lvl 21-25, 20

lvl 26-30, 26

lvl 31-35, 28

lvl 36-40, 18

lvl 41-45, 32

lvl 46-49, 35

total = 216 players online sub-50.

total level 50 currently online - 90

So right now sub 50 is beating level 50 about 4.5 to 1 and there are 306 Defiant players logged in early on a Monday afternoon. But you were online on a weekend and saw "a few hundred people on and most at level 50." Ok, then. If that's what you saw after your hard research of what "Social only shows," who am I to question?

If anyone is curious about whether or not 306 players is a healthy number on a Monday afternoon, well I really don't know enough to answer that. I believe server capacity in Rift is 1500 so 306 doesn't seem too bad. By comparison, I logged onto WoW server Norgannon, listed as "Medium" at 2:30 (15 minutes ago.) On the Alliance side there were 314 sub-85 players online and 236 level 85 players on for a total of 550. So even still, 306 doesn't seem too bad to me but I'm certain others will say differently.

I was pleasantly surprised when I went from Apprentice to full 5 star Elite in under 2 months. I was pleasantly surprised again when I went from Elite to just barely Hardcore in 2 weeks. Apprentice, here I come!

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370

Originally posted by Joarnaj

I took advantage of the free play this weekend, and ive seen maybe 1 or 2 people at a time. Social only shows a few hundred people on and most at level 50. Which means its basically a solo game. Most of the rift, events I have been doing solo. Seems like a major flaw to the game. How are you supposed to fight back a world event, epic mobs, with only 10 people?

So that's what you saw on a weekend, eh? How hard did you look I wonder. Are you talking about 1 or 2 people doing the exact same quests you were doing? I'm just curious.

At 2:10 Eastern time, 40 minutes ago on a Monday afternoon, which I'm guessing - and it's just a guess here - is not exactly peak, I logged into Harrow, a server that has consistantly not been full since launch and as a pvp rp server does not have the numbers that many other launch day servers have. The following are the numbers currently playing Defiant only:

lvl 1-10, 17

lvl 11-15, 15

lvl 16-20, 25

lvl 21-25, 20

lvl 26-30, 26

lvl 31-35, 28

lvl 36-40, 18

lvl 41-45, 32

lvl 46-49, 35

So right now sub 50 is beating level 50 about 4.5 to 1 and there are 306 Defiant players logged in early on a Monday afternoon. But you were online on a weekend and saw "a few hundred people on and most at level 50." Ok, then. If that's what you saw after your hard research of what "Social only shows," who am I to question?

If anyone is curious about whether or not 306 players is a healthy number on a Monday afternoon, well I really don't know enough to answer that. I believe server capacity in Rift is 1500 so 306 doesn't seem too bad. By comparison, I logged onto WoW server Norgannon, listed as "Medium" at 2:30 (15 minutes ago.) On the Alliance side there were 314 sub-85 players online and 236 level 85 players on for a total of 550. So even still, 306 doesn't seem too bad to me but I'm certain others will say differently.

You want me to read that fast? Saw on the Rift official forums a poll about age. Most players of Rift are around 24 to 30, something like that. Those people tend to be working at monday afternoons. WoW player base is by average much younger, and so, much more prone to be playing at monday afternoons for several reasons.

There you go, now please, do that again at prime time, lets say, around 21:00 please.

And tell us how you read each number, because the last time I logged into wow I could only see on the /who a max of 49 players at a time, are you writing down their names in each of the zone you search? Really, i would like to check it but it doesnt see quite possible, what am I missing?

• A_hiA_hi Member Posts: 87

Originally posted by tryklon

WoW player base is by average much younger.

Source?

Originally posted by tryklon

lvl 1-10, 17

lvl 11-15, 15

lvl 16-20, 25

lvl 21-25, 20

lvl 26-30, 26

lvl 31-35, 28

lvl 36-40, 18

lvl 41-45, 32

lvl 46-49, 35

You want me to read that fast? Saw on the Rift official forums a poll about age. Most players of Rift are around 24 to 30, something like that. Those people tend to be working at monday afternoons. WoW player base is by average much younger, and so, much more prone to be playing at monday afternoons for several reasons.

There you go, now please, do that again at prime time, lets say, around 21:00 please.

And tell us how you read each number, because the last time I logged into wow I could only see on the /who a max of 49 players at a time, are you writing down their names in each of the zone you search? Really, i would like to check it but it doesnt see quite possible, what am I missing?

Once you "/who" you can now search by just about anything. You are correct about WoW limiting to 49 results. If in the text box at the bottom of the search window you delete whatever is there and just type numbers you can search by level. I did it in groupings of 10 so I typed, "1-10," "11-20," etc, and then added them up. For level 85 numbers I broke it down by class so "mage 85," etc gave me the results I needed. The most of any class on at the time was the Mage, at 32 level 85 players. Only 9 rogues, btw, so what's up with that??

Anyway, the numbers can't be 100% accurate because it takes 10-15 minutes to do all the searches and add them up and by that time a few have come on and a few logged off, but they should be close enough to accurate to be valid.

I was pleasantly surprised when I went from Apprentice to full 5 star Elite in under 2 months. I was pleasantly surprised again when I went from Elite to just barely Hardcore in 2 weeks. Apprentice, here I come!

• Zandora2018Zandora2018 Member Posts: 240

Well being they added alot of "New" servers at lunch it is a matter of time before they are merged. Back in the WoW days they had x servers and added them slow. Now a days alot of compaines add them at the lunch to ease the load and let ppl get in to play ect. Would you pay for a MMO that you had to wait 3-5 days to get in ??? I think not so they added alot of servers knowing they would be merged later on. Its a smart move to get ppl in to play the game. Its all about the $$$$

Played Aoc/DDO/FFXI/WAR / LoTRo / CO / Aion
    Playing Rift

Waiting for FFXIV to be the game it should. so sad =(

Originally posted by Zandora2018

Well being they added alot of "New" servers at lunch it is a matter of time before they are merged. Back in the WoW days they had x servers and added them slow. Now a days alot of compaines add them at the lunch to ease the load and let ppl get in to play ect. Would you pay for a MMO that you had to wait 3-5 days to get in ??? I think not so they added alot of servers knowing they would be merged later on. Its a smart move to get ppl in to play the game. Its all about the $$$$

This may be true, although Trion was careful. During launch week when every server had queue times they added several servers just so people could play, but did not continuously add servers after the first few days even when several servers were still experiencing long queue times. They definitely handled their server additions in moderation. If I'm interpreting you right when you say "Its all about the $$$$," you're being derogatory. I'm not sure that's entirely fair. If people who paid for the game have to wait 2 hours to play because not a single server is open, how is that good customer service? As it was, a lot of people in Rift started over on some of those new servers just to avoid the queue times.

Also - Trion is very open to merging servers if necessary.

"I think MMOs have gotten beyond the point where that is necessarily seen as unfortunate. I think there's too much focus placed on the number of people online at a time in a given world, and what we should really use to track the health of games is, 'How many people are playing in a given month?' If you can make a game where enough people are playing in a given month, you're succeeding. So that's the goal for success. Once you define that as your goal for success, it becomes, 'How do you best entertain them?' " - Scott Hartsman on the problem of overpopulation at launch and the need to merge servers after.

If only players saw things the way Scott does, I think we'd all be better off.

source - http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/03/15/pax-east-2011-massively-interviews-rifts-scott-hartsman/

• El_LionEl_Lion Member UncommonPosts: 154

I'm currently in a queue in order to enter my server ... more than one month after release and not even before/after a patch ...

Eaglix

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

yeah, it's totally time to merge servers. You just don't get that massively multiplayer feel unless you have at least a 1 hour wait in queue before being able to start playing.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370

I think some guys are just taking advantage of random numbers here.

When cataclysm was launched WoW presented an average of 35k players day/ in a total of around 300.000 hours played, today, as anyone can check, the game only has around 175.000 hours played. Does this mean the game lost around 50% subs? Really?

No, simply because the number of gamers is still around 35k, so whats happening is that players are less time logged on daily, simply because they are already max level and have less to do.

Rift had around 29.000 hours with about 4500 users, now it has around 23.000 hours with roughly the same number of users (4300) for the exact same reason as WoW, max level already... there is a loss ofc, like always, but a relatively small one

The game keeps almost  the same market share it did on launch: http://www.xfire.com/genre/mmo/massively_multiplayer_online/ around 7,5% now vs 8% on launch

AND PLEASE REMEMBER: Xfire counts PLAYED TIME, not NUMBER OF PLAYERS

• QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683

I play on the RP-PvP server (Sunrest I think its called) and its packed no matter what time I log on. and I am only level 25 and there are tons of people both in the warfronts and in the open world.

[Mod Edit]

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

I looked for about the 10 hours I played. Im simply reporting what I observed and felt. Others seem to be agreeing with me.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

Originally posted by Quicksand

This thread is kinda ammusing, and obviously posted by someone that has not actually logged into Rift and simply wants to bash it. I play on the RP-PvP server (Sunrest I think its called) and its packed no matter what time I log on. and I am only level 25 and there are tons of people both in the warfronts and in the open world.

What amusing is that youre wrong in your assumptions, and yet your willing to look like a fool to defend your game. If you would like some proof that I did indeed login all weekend, Id be happy to provide it. Just let me know what would satisfy you.

I looked for about the 10 hours I played. Im simply reporting what I observed and felt. Others seem to be agreeing with me.

An equal amount are disagreeing.  What's your point?

• SchockeySchockey Member UncommonPosts: 58

Well I have been playing since prelaunch and Spitescar is dropping quick. They will want to be keeping an eye on it. I hate playing on dead servers pisses me off. I play MMOS for the MASSIVE part!

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Originally posted by Schockey

Well I have been playing since prelaunch and Spitescar is dropping quick. They will want to be keeping an eye on it. I hate playing on dead servers pisses me off. I play MMOS for the MASSIVE part!

It's understandable to be mifed by it, and for it to happen is just the nature of the themepark beast, as I see it.  No big deal and no one should really be too defensive about it.  After servers are merged, which will happen a year down the road probably, those that are still involved will appreciate that Trion has done it.

The need to do it today is a bit premature since Trion will continue to have invitational promotions over the next 6-months and the servers will fluctuate as a result, but perhaps down the road, merging will be inevitable once populations settle-down.

I feel the need to say thank you for your civility. I'm not sure my sarcasm deserved that. I was surprised that you're feeling this way, though, since none of the numbers that I can find or demonstrate seem to support your experience. Perhaps in general the days when you could log into CoH (for example) and find tons of people at the same general level looking to team are dead.

CoH as a game really promoted that "crowded" server feeling due to a lot of things. The most fun a lot of us had was in the making of new alts. Tons of missions at every level. Most archetypes needed to group to complete the missions. Missions had value on a 5 level spread so you could find teams comprised of levels 16-20 and be just fine. On the flip side, CoH sucked beyond belief when the servers were actually low.

WoW used to be more that way because it took so freaking long to level. Even though you could do quests by yourself, just as often you'd find someone else in your area and rather than fight for kills you'd team up.

Rift is almost the polar opposite of CoH in terms of team necessity - therefore adding to the "feel" that the servers are low pop. Probably not too terribly many alts at this point. Not nearly as many quests per level. Most souls can solo although it is more difficult than WoW. Quests have little value to players more than 1 level from the quest level in either direction. Things respawn so fast you don't have to group to get your kills.

I myself am a huge fan of Rift, but looking at it objectively I guess I can see where it might feel like there aren't a lot of players on even when there are.