Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NO! I had so much hope!

Comments

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

If the game is fun, people will play it. End of story. You can be the most innovative game on the market and if your game is boring or frustrating to play then it will fail. Sorry, but that is the cold hard truth. Fun wins over innovation. 

World of Warcraft made its money because it took it all those frustrating roadblocks in MMORPGS that made playing a chore. Few want to play a game that charges you monthly just for the privilige of sitting around for 30 minutes waiting to group up,heal yourself, buff yourself etc. just to play. Not to mention the fustration of having all your work erased after your character dies. Those things are for the most part gone with the exception of games like EVE or Darkfall. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

Originally posted by King_Kumquat

Originally posted by Jackdog

Originally posted by Jackdog

here is the bottom line kiddies, pick 1

(A) linear character development. As you  level you get 1 choice of a skil to train. At level 50 each character has the same skills

(B) option A plus alterative character tweaks like AA points,  or trailts

(C) a skill tree system where you level and get a choice train one of several skills

that''s all folks

So I can get one of 3 strings of staph infection, when I know there's cake and ice cream in another room?

Lazy devs....

There's more choices than that.

really ! Please enlighten us then. I am sure there are a lot of lazy Devs that would love to hear your ideas. Describe you perfect dream of a advancement system. Oh and plese don't pul out the old "open advancement system of Ultima and Asherons Call" there is a reason no has even tried that since Wish cnaceled in beta, and that reason  is  balance

Cut me a check then foo'. 

The King don't work for free.

But a lil' charity.. Even a hybrid of A and C, or B and A would be more interesting. Plus you lumped a trait system in with Alternate Advance cues. Why? A stand alone trait pool progression would be more dynamic feeling than having 3 trees to fill up with a point here and there.

either put up or shut  up, 'foo,  talking shit does not impress me. Working at Lowes does not make you a game designer

I miss DAoC

• drake_hounddrake_hound Member Posts: 773

Honestly to the OP you will not know how it is going to workout . till they really release concrete trees.

For now the second skill set alone is giving more option the WoW standard cookie cutter forced talent trees.

The more chances to gimp a character the more chances of creative freedom .

Untill they release the full tree and points at 50 , I cannot say what is going to happen .

And pointing back to wow , who has the most horrible idea ever with there forced one linear option .

Everything is already a improvement .

• ormstungaormstunga Member Posts: 736

Originally posted by drake_hound

And pointing back to wow , who has the most horrible idea ever with there forced one linear option .

Everything is already a improvement .

Idd. Not only is everyone wearing the exact same gear, same looks.... lets make all specs virtually the same. It'll be hilarious! Cata was like one step forward two steps back.

• King_KumquatKing_Kumquat Member Posts: 492

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Originally posted by Kalmarth

OMG OMG OMG ITS A TOTAL WOW CLONE THEREFORE  ITS GOING TO SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh wait its not it has almost nothing to do with wow or wow mechanics

First off NO ONE CARES IF IT DOES OR DOESNT use wow trees, they work just as well, Galaxys had them and that game ROCKED!

Why do people ALWAYS compare every game to WOW? I'm sure that ToR will have part of alot of games that have come before it in the game, if it works and is good HELL YES use it, if it didnt DONT.

Again, people are just tired of the clone model.

The game will probably be great for a current gen title an have a nifty story and some quality acting.

Just would like to see someone put that much investment in game mechanics.

I get the whole sick of cloned games, to many are like WoW but Wow was like other games, it mirrored EQ and EQ2 alot, it had elements of UO in it, it was a mash up of a bunch of games.

These days games are all going to have somethings in them that are from games of the past, its just the new generation.

Look it like people having kids, those kids will have stuff from there parents but they are not there parents.

Not exactly.

Horrible anology and I hope it's never used again.

These aren't children of prior generations being birthed, these are pimples on old game's asses. "Look it's a lil' different, it's popped up, red, and infected and sometime it's itchy!"

There's room for something new.

Such as?

Originality?

Innovation?

Use of technical advancements?

A focus on gameplay?

You know, something other than the same tired crap. 

There's tried and true, and then there's gone too the same well too many god damn times.

Such as?

Originality?

Innovation?

A focus on gameplay?

Will develop an original MMORPG title for money.
  • ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

Originally posted by Axton

As of today they have released skill tree. It is a clone copy of the WoW skill tree. Where is the inovation that Biowear is known for?  The last great hope for AAA titles has failed to create a new gaming experience. 

Maybe wait till beta, launch and then we can cry.  And what new MMO and not copy something of World of Warcraft where 10-14 MILLION play. Do you know how much money that is? So if MILLIONS play they will be happy and if you or I dont .. no one will care.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by Zeblade

As of today they have released skill tree. It is a clone copy of the WoW skill tree. Where is the inovation that Biowear is known for?  The last great hope for AAA titles has failed to create a new gaming experience. 

Maybe wait till beta, launch and then we can cry.  And what new MMO and not copy something of World of Warcraft where 10-14 MILLION play. Do you know how much money that is? So if MILLIONS play they will be happy and if you or I dont .. no one will care.

theres only so many different ways of doing things.. and.... WoW's skill trees have evolved over time.. its not such a bad thing.. and its present in plenty of other games besides WoW now anyway.. that Bioware are copying some of the WoW mechanics is probably inevitable, in itself its not a reason to be concerned over.. personally i can think of several other reasons to be 'worried' about the game.. and as already been said.. by the time Beta comes around, they may have changed their minds again.. leaking stuff now might just be their way of 'feeling the water' so to speak.. nothing to say it will stay as is.. or at all.. .. not that im really defending the game, i personally don't think it will be half as popular as the hype surrounding it is suggesting it will be.. but.. who knows.. the horse may yet sing..image

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originality? Innovation?

Full story enhanced questing, multiple branching questlines where decisions matter, different crafting system, full integration of companions throughout the game, partial ragdoll physics. Sounds like good things and original enough to me. If those aren't innovations or improvements *you* like, that doesn't mean that they aren't.

seamless travel between instances and open-world without loading screens, huge non-instanced worlds with a larger drawing distance than in other MMO's. Unless you meant with use of technical advancements that SWTOR can be played on an iPhone or via Facebook.

A focus on gameplay?

Innovation doesn't make gameplay automatically better, neither does the same mechanics make gameplay less. As good as everyone who actually played the game is enthusiastic about the smooth, accessible and engaging gameplay, from the combat to the grouping to the intuitive controls to the cinematic immersive questing: everyone who actually played the game implied that BW's focus on gameplay in SWTOR is very good.

I sense an MMO fatigue here, sort of an MMO burnout or themepark allergy. My advice, just stay away from those kinds of MMO's, they'll only lead to frustration or heightened blood pressure for you if themepark tiredness is the case.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Originally posted by Timukas

Why are you saying that it's a themepark allergy? You said that to me too. I like themepark games and I admit it. Just don't care about sandboxes. But I still think that everything BW has shown so far is just a recycled old. We live in 2011 AD and talking about story then TSW is miles ahead in that respect. I was quite hyped about SWTOR but during the last year I have given up. Look, currently I play Rift which is a total but good clone and as I said before I have no wish to start it all over again because this time it has SW skin :) Hell, Trion had times smaller budget and still they implemented swimming and diving...

Why I'm saying some people like the one I replied to may suffer of MMO burnout or an allergy of themepark related MMO features?

Basically because of comments like this that I've seen pass by, and more like it:

I'd like a totally innovative game actually.

Yes, please.

With RIFT offering nothing new to the genre but being a moderate success, and really nothing super unique coming downt he pipeline (even World of Darkness from what info we've seen looks like it's going to have scripted questing progression). Are MMORPGs no longer limitless?

You level to 10, grow your class a little, fight in a dungeon, pvp in battlegrounds, look for purple pants that allow you in to a good raid team? That's the genre now?

I guess it is safe to say if this is it, then yeah I don't think I'd call myself a mmorpg enthusiast any longer.

There's a larger than average - or larger than encountered elsewhere - amount of MMO gamers roaming this site who have grown burnt out or tired or sick of certain features characteristic of AAA themepark MMO's to such an extent that if they encounter sortlike systems in other MMO's, it triggers their aversion to a high level. Which isn't that strange, since MMO's are often played for sometimes thousands upon thousands of hours. It's like when someone participating with an egg eating contest and after eating like 2 dozen of eggs, that additional egg or even the thought of eating it causes them to vomit. Or as with an allergy, it has passed their tolerance threshold trigger.

As for SWTOR, if you can't see that SWTOR is far more different from WoW or a LotrO than an MMO like Rift, well, I guess that'll be your loss then image

To each their own taste.

Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• inBOILinBOIL Member Posts: 669

seems like wow is a sandbox compared to swtror,and its a good thing ?

Generation P

• JaelisJaelis Member UncommonPosts: 4

To the OP:

This is like saying this game is going to fail because it uses the tank, healer, dps model.  It works.  It's popular.  There was never any claim that it would be "all new and completely different than WoW".  From what I've seen, they've taken a base model that has been proven to work, and they've molded it a little to their own tastes.  I see nothing wrong with it, and if you do, then that's your opinion and you're entitled to it.

I'm certain, without knowing any hard facts about what the game will be like when it launches, that there will be pieces I love and pieces I hate.  I'm also confident (no, I don't predict the future, so I won't say "certain") that I will love the game as a whole and won't let little similarities turn me away from what will hopefully be an enjoyable game.

Originally posted by inBOIL

Seems more like you're only interested in disliking the game, so reading goes through a selective perception filter.

• inBOILinBOIL Member Posts: 669

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

Seems more like you're only interested in disliking the game, so reading goes through a selective perception filter.

that means yes ?

Generation P

that means yes ?

It means you're seeing and interpreting things wrong.

• KalmarthKalmarth Member Posts: 443

Rather then debate this I should of just said this from the start, GREAT your going to hate it SO DON'T PLAY IT!

one less person that crys and moans about a game being to much like this or to much like that, I truly hope you don't buy ToR and you stay as far from it as possible.

• King_KumquatKing_Kumquat Member Posts: 492

Originality? Innovation?

Full story enhanced questing, multiple branching questlines where decisions matter, different crafting system, full integration of companions throughout the game, partial ragdoll physics. Sounds like good things and original enough to me. If those aren't innovations or improvements *you* like, that doesn't mean that they aren't.

seamless travel between instances and open-world without loading screens, huge non-instanced worlds with a larger drawing distance than in other MMO's. Unless you meant with use of technical advancements that SWTOR can be played on an iPhone or via Facebook.

A focus on gameplay?

Innovation doesn't make gameplay automatically better, neither does the same mechanics make gameplay less. As good as everyone who actually played the game is enthusiastic about the smooth, accessible and engaging gameplay, from the combat to the grouping to the intuitive controls to the cinematic immersive questing: everyone who actually played the game implied that BW's focus on gameplay in SWTOR is very good.

I sense an MMO fatigue here, sort of an MMO burnout or themepark allergy. My advice, just stay away from those kinds of MMO's, they'll only lead to frustration or heightened blood pressure for you if themepark tiredness is the case.

Why are you saying that it's a themepark allergy? You said that to me too. I like themepark games and I admit it. Just don't care about sandboxes. But I still think that everything BW has shown so far is just a recycled old. We live in 2011 AD and talking about story then TSW is miles ahead in that respect. I was quite hyped about SWTOR but during the last year I have given up. Look, currently I play Rift which is a total but good clone and as I said before I have no wish to start it all over again because this time it has SW skin :) Hell, Trion had times smaller budget and still they implemented swimming and diving...

I'm with Tim.

I don't care for the labels sandbox or themepark. Call them whatever. I'd like to see a company bring something more to the genre than 1 trick, and then just follow suit with the same old shit. TOR isn't innovative. It's going to have some elaborate elements I'm certain, but really having a text box talked to me and a few more choices to change the tone of 'go kill 15 womp rats'. 

If you like subtle changes. Awesome.

I think anyone who supports copy cat game development is a part of a problem.

Will develop an original MMORPG title for money.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

OMG OMG OMG ITS A TOTAL WOW CLONE THEREFORE  ITS GOING TO SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh wait its not it has almost nothing to do with wow or wow mechanics

First off NO ONE CARES IF IT DOES OR DOESNT use wow trees, they work just as well, Galaxys had them and that game ROCKED!

Why do people ALWAYS compare every game to WOW? I'm sure that ToR will have part of alot of games that have come before it in the game, if it works and is good HELL YES use it, if it didnt DONT.

Again, people are just tired of the clone model.

The game will probably be great for a current gen title an have a nifty story and some quality acting.

Just would like to see someone put that much investment in game mechanics.

I get the whole sick of cloned games, to many are like WoW but Wow was like other games, it mirrored EQ and EQ2 alot, it had elements of UO in it, it was a mash up of a bunch of games.

These days games are all going to have somethings in them that are from games of the past, its just the new generation.

Look it like people having kids, those kids will have stuff from there parents but they are not there parents.

Not exactly.

Horrible anology and I hope it's never used again.

These aren't children of prior generations being birthed, these are pimples on old game's asses. "Look it's a lil' different, it's popped up, red, and infected and sometime it's itchy!"

There's room for something new.

Such as?

Originality?

Innovation?

A focus on gameplay?

There's tried and true, and then there's gone too the same well too many god damn times.

Such as?

Originality?

Innovation?

A focus on gameplay?

Those are just words, mind elaborating?  You say theres room for so many new things, I'd like to hear about these new innovations, technical advancements,  and "focus"  on gameplay,  as you seem to think  TOR doesn't.

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

You know im a bit tired of the wow hate. The one game out there fun and enjoyable to play. I have treid alot of diffrent mmo's. Wow is the only one where i have looked up after 2 hrs and gone damn where did the time go.

I love wow wanna bash it go for it. Im used to being the uncool kid in teh corner . As for bioware and blizzard haveing same skill trees what a joke.

first off bioware has 2 ac to choose from

wow has 3 trees

Bioware has 3 trees per ac. Of which 1 is diffrent then the other. One of the trees in yoru ac may be dps, the other may be tank,

ONe may be dps or heal. They may look alike but there is alot of  diffrences in how they work. Plus we have seen what a picture of a ui they are about to start testing.

Unless u have tested this u have no clue how it works or what it does.  To say it sexactly like wow just cause it looks like wows is naive.

why not use a tree designe visually that alot of gamers are familiar wiht.

What wow does best is make things easy to use. so a player doesnt take and need a yr to finally figure out how the ui works.

Yea so taken a simple ui that works and is easy to figure out is horrid.

The only way to be innovative is to have ui and skill trees that are difficult to understand, hard to use, and make me wanna throw my computer and keyboard across the room. Its not really innovative unless it makes u really really angry

If only 1/100th of the population can even figure out the ui then its innovative if its broke and makes me work for 5 hrs to get a level only to lsoe 1 the moment a die thats innovative yea please ill take wow before i take that any day.

U can have innovative if thats what u mean id rather have ease of use and fun to play then innovative .

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originality? Innovation?

A focus on gameplay?

I'm with Tim.

I don't care for the labels sandbox or themepark. Call them whatever. I'd like to see a company bring something more to the genre than 1 trick, and then just follow suit with the same old shit. TOR isn't innovative. It's going to have some elaborate elements I'm certain, but really having a text box talked to me and a few more choices to change the tone of 'go kill 15 womp rats'. 

If you like subtle changes. Awesome.

I think anyone who supports copy cat game development is a part of a problem.

Just because they like something you do not? For all of the howling about Blizzard and WoW, they still have more than 12 million players after more than six years... Given that one of the main objects of this exercise is to make money, they must know something about what their player base wants... The only "problem" that I can see is that some people have not managed to get a handle on their perceptions, expectations and imaginations.  NO game will ever be able to live up to those.  Thats as true for TOR, as it is for GW2, Tera and any other game.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • kegtapkegtap Member Posts: 261

Originally posted by kalinis

You know im a bit tired of the wow hate. The one game out there fun and enjoyable to play. I have treid alot of diffrent mmo's. Wow is the only one where i have looked up after 2 hrs and gone damn where did the time go.

I love wow wanna bash it go for it. Im used to being the uncool kid in teh corner . As for bioware and blizzard haveing same skill trees what a joke.

first off bioware has 2 ac to choose from

wow has 3 trees

Bioware has 3 trees per ac. Of which 1 is diffrent then the other. One of the trees in yoru ac may be dps, the other may be tank,

ONe may be dps or heal. They may look alike but there is alot of  diffrences in how they work. Plus we have seen what a picture of a ui they are about to start testing.

Unless u have tested this u have no clue how it works or what it does.  To say it sexactly like wow just cause it looks like wows is naive.

why not use a tree designe visually that alot of gamers are familiar wiht.

What wow does best is make things easy to use. so a player doesnt take and need a yr to finally figure out how the ui works.

Yea so taken a simple ui that works and is easy to figure out is horrid.

The only way to be innovative is to have ui and skill trees that are difficult to understand, hard to use, and make me wanna throw my computer and keyboard across the room. Its not really innovative unless it makes u really really angry

If only 1/100th of the population can even figure out the ui then its innovative if its broke and makes me work for 5 hrs to get a level only to lsoe 1 the moment a die thats innovative yea please ill take wow before i take that any day.

U can have innovative if thats what u mean id rather have ease of use and fun to play then innovative .

Great post there really is no reason to hate on any game. so much time goes into these games now and they all have their roots from pong anyway. image

I can feel your anger. This game is defenseless. Take your weapon. Strike this game down with all of your hatred, and your journey towards towards the Dark Side will be complete.

• BurnthebedBurnthebed Member Posts: 443

Would you say the old republic was your "new hope"???

See what I did there?

The sleeper awakes...and rides his dirtbike to the mall.

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

Originally posted by Burnthebed

Would you say the old republic was your "new hope"???

See what I did there?

very well done indeed :P

• tabarjacktabarjack Member UncommonPosts: 249

------Key to making yourself look like a retard----------------

Lemme try like some posters before me, tell me if i do good:

Da game is so failz liek its bad ya?

It lackes a date for lunch!

It lackes fun gameplay

It lackes originality. It's not even its own fantasy world.

It lackes freedom.

It lackes everything!

No i wont lists them because it R so obvious that it lackes all these things.

-----------Thread derailing 101-----------------

Seriously, no examples. No point made. Even bad points like the following are 10000 time more credible:

EA is behind yet another MMO. Like they ruined WAR, they will ruin TOR.

The game is yet another WOW clone, can you name at least 10 clones that crashed into the pillar that is WoW? If so, you win the right to call yourself a nerd. OK I agree, the space mode is a Star Fox clone.

Bioware has no experience in multiplayer, so they can't get it right the first time... obviously!

I eat fungus from under my toenails, if you don't like the taste too, then you are all wrong and I am right! Because the probability of us being both wrong is unpossible!

EA will probably sell the right to use a light saber as DLC, the right to fly a ship in another DLC, and respecs will be from a cash shop.. the game will fail for sure!

Lucas has too much control over the IP and we wont be able to use phazers, so obviously, it wont last long and will get old fast.

------------On a serious note----------------------

The only problem with the game is that CEOs make decisions while gamers in that same company are told to STFU. It won't probably wont fail too much because of :

a) it's Star Wars

b) they realised before launch that investors were betting against it, and after asking why (or reading forums) they decided to delay the game and will most likely change things.

c) The game is being designed for children, from the ground up, assuring them that the game will last for a while since the "I live in mom's basement" crowd will get hooked. For that to happen, the game has to make them feel "elite" and us real gamers will probably die of boredom when they start to "balance" dungeons.

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

Originally posted by sinjin

I am sorry that you feel that it is a different. I feels like more of the same. The retoric they use to market it is nice, but it transilates to the same experance. 

Although it does have light sabers, and voiceovers

It doesn't matter how you feel. It's still different than WoW mechanic wise and much similar to Age of Conan. Just saying.

no it really isnt. the fact youre trying to argue it is funny. they even included spell ranks ffs, thats like vanilla WoW. TOR is looking dumb, i am disappoint.