Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Global Agenda: Free Agent Q&A

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Yesterday's announcement that Global Agenda would be going free-to-play with the next update came as a welcome surprise. MMORPG.com Lead Writer Bill Murphy had the opportunity to speak with Todd Harris about the Free Agent announcement. Check it out. Leave us a few comments when finished.

MMORPG: Obviously, it’s great to see that Hi-Rez is still invested in their first-born. Can we get some hints about what else is on the docket for the future of Global Agenda?

Todd Harris: The Global Agenda dev team is working on a bunch of new content themed around the Recursive Colony faction that is now becoming aware of the human threat and attacking Dome City. We are excited about delivering another open zone with a quest-line and repeatable quests, new devices, new PvE Special Ops content and new PvP content.

Read more of Bill Murphy's Global Agenda: Free Agent Q&A.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BizzlebuffBizzlebuff Member Posts: 87

Great!  Another game I probably would have never had the chance to play if it wasn't going free to play.  

• RoninSzakyRoninSzaky Member UncommonPosts: 63

Are they really in that big of a trouble? Or do they get so much more sales this way?

"Ad astra per aspera."

• BizzlebuffBizzlebuff Member Posts: 87

Originally posted by RoninSzaky

Are they really in that big of a trouble? Or do they get so much more sales this way?

They get so much more sales this way.

• rainwolfrainwolf Member Posts: 46

Or perhaps making it free to play will generate an influx of new players, which will help the game's community as well as reduce queue times for all current players.

• FreedomBladeFreedomBlade Member UncommonPosts: 281

The game is utter crap so who cares what payment model they use?

I mean it is not an MMO in the open world sense. It is not a FPS in the real aim and shoot sense. It is not anything at all really just a mess.

Leave this one well alone.

I do hope they do something better with Tribes Universe.

• PiasekPiasek Member Posts: 318

Guessing that you never play it, or just few days ;) GA is one of the best sci-fi MMO on market with quite nice community and "Devs".  Saying its crap its just mean....its not a "WoW" we know^^

• itomic97itomic97 Member UncommonPosts: 49

ill try it, if its good, ill buy it

• TalthanysTalthanys Member Posts: 458

Just downloaded and started playing yesterday. It is a really good game, and I'm not a sci-fi buff.

However, after about 30 minutes it starts screen stuttering on me, shortly followed by a complete screen freeze/crash. Would LOVE to participate more, but for some reason it is unstable on my computer. I've got a good rig, too.

• montinmontin Member Posts: 218

Its not the sort of game I enjoy, however I think its a decent game. Its nice to see the change in revenue model. As somebody that only plays some games rarely, I dont want to be paying out every month for a game when I may not play it. Given the change here I may just pop back into the game for an hour or 2 a month :)

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by FreedomBlade

The game is utter crap so who cares what payment model they use?

I mean it is not an MMO in the open world sense. It is not a FPS in the real aim and shoot sense. It is not anything at all really just a mess.

Leave this one well alone.

I do hope they do something better with Tribes Universe.

It does have an open world area for PvE,  but quests only last until about 15.   Its a third person shooter, not a first person shooter,  but the mechanics work very well. The classes are fun to play,  and playing a Robotics character is quite possibly my most favorite class in any MMO I've played to date.

GA is an awesome  game.   Hope more people jump in and play it.

• XyzedXyzed Member Posts: 14

Originally posted by FreedomBlade

It is not a FPS in the real aim and shoot sense. It is not anything at all really just a mess.

Really? Have you played it?  While it may not be a true FPS by the strictest sense of the definition " First Person Shooter" as it's more a 3rd person view, but were talking semantics here. It is certainly a "real aim and shoot" twitch/skill type FPS game.

• KillyoxKillyox Member CommonPosts: 424

I wrote Master's Thesis about mmo market. F2P model has the highest possibility of generating maximum possible income if done right. I'm economist :)

• bobbyjrbobbyjr Member Posts: 119

Originally posted by wojtekpl

I wrote Master's Thesis about mmo market. F2P model has the highest possibility of generating maximum possible income if done right. I'm economist :)

No you didnt and No youre not.

• panzercatpanzercat Member UncommonPosts: 3

Originally posted by Bizzlebuff

They get so much more sales this way.

When your business model is failing, anything is better than nothing.

MMO rule #1-- No game goes free to play unless they can possibly help it. People will debate this ad nausum but when it comes down to it, ask yourself an easy question: Which is better? Guranteed income or 'maybe you'll stop in and buy something' income? If you answered anything but guaranteed income, you fail Economics 101.

There's an exception to every rule, but Global Agenda isn't it.

Which also brings us to the fact that this was a plesant surprise? Really? This shouldn't have come to as a surprise to anybody. If it did come out of left field, you really shouldn't be reporting on this sort of thing to begin with.

• OutlawVROutlawVR Member Posts: 88

Yeah this was no suprise. Ever since they announced Tribes, I was waiting for them to close shop on GA. This is the first step.

• ZolgarZolgar Member Posts: 533

The hate and doom n' gloom is astounding. I thought it was only fashionable to talk about that stuff with the bigger themepark MMO's (WoW, Rift, WAR, Aion, AoC, etc)?

Anyways I've got ~5 hours or so into GA so far, and I'm loving it. Playing a Robotics class is loads of fun. Being able to use drones, setting up turrets, placing shield walls, dropping health stations, etc. I don't think I've had this much fun in any shooter (aside from MAYBE TF2).

0118 999 881 999 119 725... 3

• onilisonilis Member Posts: 15

Wait? how is this good? It was orginally supposed to be a monthly subscription, but they messed up on alot of things so the players were given "extended free time". They announced last year that Global agenda was going to be free forever and that they would only charge for expansions. I thought it was great because i had global agenda already.

Now they announce that they are going to start charging for the content that was free for players who paid for the game already? thats silly.

• StormreignStormreign Member UncommonPosts: 27

Originally posted by onilis

Now they announce that they are going to start charging for the content that was free for players who paid for the game already? thats silly.

Not to worry, if you already own GA then your account will be flagged as the elite agent status. So you will have access to all the payed stuff without having to pay again. Quoting from the GA news article about this:

'All players that have previously purchased Global Agenda will be automatically upgraded to Elite Agent status.'

• SetsunSetsun Member UncommonPosts: 286

TRY IT! Its worth it, awesome pvp!

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

People are this misinformed? Really? 

GA never had a subscription. No subscription. N-o s-u-b.

The only thing you had to pay is the box. So what they are trying to do is get as many people hooked up who will most likely buy the box.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• MeeoryMeeory Member Posts: 1

I really like GA and I'm not even into sci-fi and shooters. If "free-to-play" model will be able to bring more people into the game it can only improve it.

• Talon27Talon27 Member Posts: 24

good game and great dev team

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnL1y74D71c

• levsixlevsix Member UncommonPosts: 363

These guys are great, I think this patch will be a significant improvement to the quality of the game.

The "f2p" model will bring in more players and therefore more cash for Hi-Rez from those who convert to paid status. We will get more updates and content, as long as they don't siphon it off for Tribes! Haha. I am looking forward to Tribes, though.

Have a winner and don't go on a game over! Does your avatar make you powerful in real life? Check out the Mystical Enders gaming community. www.mysticalenders.com

• onilisonilis Member Posts: 15

Originally posted by fivoroth

People are this misinformed? Really? 

GA never had a subscription. No subscription. N-o s-u-b.

The only thing you had to pay is the box. So what they are trying to do is get as many people hooked up who will most likely buy the box.

I will point out that i said "Supposed" to have a subscription. It was of course their original intention to charge players to play Global agenda at a fixed monthly rate. The charges of course never went through because with their lack of content, not many would pay a monthly fee when they could just pick up another shooter and be happy with that.

• SvartlackadSvartlackad Member Posts: 54

"The Global Agenda dev team is working on a bunch of new content themed around the Recursive Colony faction that is now becoming aware of the human threat and attacking Dome City. We are excited about delivering another open zone with a quest-line and repeatable quests, new devices, new PvE Special Ops content and new PvP content."

So they've said for the last year and still haven't seen even so much as a "concept art".