Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Revolution!

NortonGBNortonGB Member UncommonPosts: 279

Hi all,

There's a forum revolution going on at the FLS main forum.

Check it out!

Comments

• NortonGBNortonGB Member UncommonPosts: 279

Update QUOTE: I did not write this myself:

Combat Measures for the Liberation of the POTBS Community

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will begin with describing the combat measures that shall be used by supporters of the revolution. The revolutionary threads will actively be bumped. At the end of this post are the demands.

Every course of combat measures should be performed through ardent civil disobedience. This makes it ideal to either post through your usual account, or through a new one you create, and it's entirely up to you. Use the banner posted below to show your support, or do not. That is entirely up to each individual as well.

A) Starting from now, a supporter shall make sure his post stays after deletion. That means, he will repost the post he found deleted. If he can't backtrack and copy-paste he will try to recite it from memory. Every reposted post will end with a notification that the post is a repost. If it keeps getting deleted, post it in a revolutionary thread to alert the community. Any posts connected to the revolution in the revolutionary threads should be protected, or these forums will become a moderator's hell.

B) Starting Monday 11/4-2011, if the demands have not been met, is the open dissent of the FLS community rules. They should not be considered viable rules, they should not be acknowledged. Post in the wrong sections, troll, talk about the Big Three in Excess, derail threads completely and so forth.

C) By Wednesday 13/4-2011, the movement will be moved to InGame. The community will actively encourage the denial of income to FLS. People will be discouraged from buying burning sea notes from both the Treasure Aisle and the auction houses (thus refusing those that sell them there any InGame currency gain from giving FLS money), and new players will be actively discouraged from enlisting into the captain's club plan.

D) By Friday 15/4-2011, people will be encouraged to stop playing the game on certain days that will later be specified.

E) By Monday 18/4-2011, notable gaming sites that harbours potential customers will be notified of the incident, and examples will be brought forward by people that have been subjected to arbitrary penalties by GM's and/or moderators and enlighten alien communities with the posting of tickets and/or PM conversations with moderators and/or GM's.

F) The discouraging of the game and its management will be moved to the Burningsea forums at Friday 22/4-2011. Every positive remark of the game and/or game-announcements will be shot down by the community and severely flamed.

Compliance and active debate from FLS may help them to ease up the deadlines, but that is no promise, as from now on there is no "single person" of the Revolution, but are a community effort. For each stage that begins, a notification will be posted as a reminder.

Personal note, skip if you so please:

There is of course nothing I can do but say that the dissent among players regarding FLS and the community management has been irking for a very long time. Some people are not affected at all by this, and some have seen it plenty. I can start by saying that POTBS is undoubtedly mine, and many others, favourite MMO. It has a lot of ingredients that no other MMO has. But to be left in long periods of silence, being subjected to partial and subjective abuse by game officials (even after and during appeals), and the shooting down of public feedback has taken its toll. I have personally been an ardent supporter of the company, the game, and its developers since I started playing, because that is how baffled I was by this fresh approach to PvP and 1700's action in general.

But when my tenure as leader of the French council was at its end, most the mails/PM's, /tells, and ventrilo discussions I had was not about target-callings, PvP/RvR groups, diplomacy or other inter-society issues. It was about people from not only France, but also other nations (notably Britain), that were talking about how players complained over the harassment they received from other players. When asked to contact a GM, they all had a common thing to say. They had contacted a GM, and they were shot down by FLS, who later decided to do nothing. I pulled strings for a few, but when this sudden wave of forum fascism swept over the community, I just lost my few last arguments. That FLS DID listen to its playerbase, and ESPECIALLY those that cared. But now I can't find merit in those arguments any more.

So either we sit down and stay optimistic and passive as the broad mass probably want to be, letting foul winds further infect the game until it is no longer there. Or we can at least try to change what we've been gruffing about for years now. The more that joins, the more impossible it is for FLS to ignore us. You have a right as a customer, and you may not have had the same bad experience as many others. But if you get into the same situation of these players sometime, you can make sure you will receive the same treatment, and then you would have WISHED you joined now when you could had stopped it.

If FLS do not want to save their terrific game, then let us do it for them.

The demands:

1. Allow customers to publicly complain from being mistreated by a GM and/or moderator which include public postings of tickets and correspondence with FLS in a special department of the forums that FLS may chose to leave public or hidden to unregistered users as they please. The privacy of said customer has thus been broken by the customer him-/herself.

2. Establishing clear and visible rules for what is and what is not permitted behaviour while posting in the forums or using the InGame chat-interface. Arbitrary moderation outside the visible rules are to be forbidden, and moderation shall be equal to all.

3. Communication between the company and customers shall be improved. Weekly development updates will be provided and be open for comments, including short- and long-term goals.

4. A closed (that means only open and visible for registered accounts) and dedicated forum section for discussions regarded truly off-topic to POTBS and/or its universe. It should be a speakers corner, free from moderation. If an age restriction is required, it should be implemented and respected.

5. A public apology will be posted for the severely arbitrary behaviour of FLS and for the lack of the above rights and securities in the past.

Success in following these demands should be rewarded. We will notify the world of the open-minded developers and moderators of the POTBS, buy their burning sea notes, and make sure we have at least premium accounts the lot of us. A game where the community had a step in turning a games destiny will most surely attract new gamers, and it will bring hope and happiness to the gamers that are now wavering.

This has been the acts of FLS against its customers for a long time. They MUST realise that if they keep shooting into the crowd, soon there will be no one left to earn their money from.

?

UPDATE all quotes:

FLS Rhaegar's response was to delete post & ban user.

Player comment: So Elune got a permabann now? For what? A FORUM post? You guys just permabanned one of the most community active player in this entire game.

FLS Rhaegar:

We're pretty willing to engage in conversation, but when people start listing demands and making threats it's a different matter.

I am a cold, soulless agent of forum justice. Emotions mean nothing to me.

• TalthanysTalthanys Member Posts: 458

They really should have called it a Mutiny. To fit the theme, y'know?

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Originally posted by NortonGB

UPDATE all quotes:

Player comment: So Elune got a permabann now? For what? A FORUM post? You guys just permabanned one of the most community active player in this entire game.

FLS Rhaegar:

We're pretty willing to engage in conversation, but when people start listing demands and making threats it's a different matter.

I like to see player demands.  I didn't see any threats; were there?  Guess FLS has something to be concerned about by taking the Gaddafi approach.

Originally posted by Cik_Asalin

UPDATE all quotes:

FLS Rhaegar:

I like to see player demands.  I didn't see any threats; were there?  Guess FLS has something to be concerned about by taking the Gaddafi approach.

LOL it's funny FLS being ganked by it's own Pirate players, I might make a free account & join in the fun. :)

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011

UPDATE all quotes:

FLS Rhaegar:

Of course there were threats.

If they don't do x then the "revolutionaries" will do y.

"give into our demands. If you don't then we will start doing all these things until you do".

I would have banned him as well.

Now, having said that, I don't know what this game company is actulaly doing and would love to see more of why this or other players are unhappy.

However, expect to be banned from a company's website if you make demands unless they capitulate.

Personally, if I was unhappy or hated the company I would have canceled my sub and found something else to do.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Originally posted by Sovrath

UPDATE all quotes:

FLS Rhaegar:

"give into our demands. If you don't then we will start doing all these things until you do".

Now, having said that, I don't know what this game company is actulaly doing and would love to see more of why this or other players are unhappy.

However, expect to be banned from a company's website if you make demands unless they capitulate.

Personally, if I was unhappy or hated the company I would have canceled my sub and found something else to do.

Ohh -- ok. FLS see'sit as a threat, you see it as a threat.  So whenever a consumer makes a demand, its actually a threat in your world. gotcha.

UPDATE all quotes:

FLS Rhaegar:

Ohh -- ok. FLS see'sit as a threat, you see it as a threat.  So whenever a consumer makes a demand, its actually a threat in your world. gotcha.

It's a pretty black and white definition.

–noun

a declaration of an intention or determination to inflict punishment, injury, etc., in retaliation for, or conditionally upon, some action or course; menace: He confessed under the threat of imprisonment.

an indication or warning of probable trouble: The threat of a storm was in the air.

regardless of whether one thinks it is justified or not.

"If they dont' do x then I will incite y".

Do you disagree with the defnition of "threat"?

I didn't say the players weren't justifired nor did I say the company was justified. But the player was making a public statement on a private forum indicting that the company had to capitulate to their demands or else.

There are bettter ways to have handled it. Heck, if he wanted to really stick it to them he could have motivated players off of the forums and submitted a letter with the appropriate signatures, even if they were on a fourm that was not the company forum, to the head of the company and  cc'ed the relevent people in the company.

If there really are egregious things going on then he could have also cc'ed some prominent game sites.

looking over his demands i would have banned him a second time with the exception of complaining of being mistreated by cm's. That should never happen. Even if the players (and don't deny they dont' do this) nerd rage on their forums. I've seen some horrible stuff oin the EQ2 forums and if I was the head of the company I would have fired those cm's.

I wouldn't capitulate to most of his demands.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• twodayslatetwodayslate Member Posts: 724

The whole thing reads like a bunch of people who somehow managed to be legitimately surprised by the greed-driven actions of another band of SOE puppets.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

This is unheard. Open attack on private property, this should be brought to court.

I wish the ban hammer merry time.

• TalthanysTalthanys Member Posts: 458

Originally posted by twodayslate

The whole thing reads like a bunch of people who somehow managed to be legitimately surprised by the greed-driven actions of another band of SOE puppets.

You could say their expectations at an attempted 'parlay' were 'shanghaid' and eventually 'scuttled'. Come on people, am I the only one using the right jargon?

I know FLS Rhaegar as he is the FLS Community manager & Brit like me.

I was also wrongly banned for breaking an nda when I was not in PnP beta or even knew there was one.

He is a cold hearted impulsive click person who dishes out infractions & bans at will, this is not the first time he has banned a loyal Potbs fan & won't be the last. Everyday there are mass posts deleted & infractions issued.

His forum avatar is a British flag but he makes sick to think he is a Brit as he acts more like a fascist dictator lol.

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293
    Did you really expect any different?

This is like calling your favorite radio talk show host and trying to take over their program. Its not going to happen.

Sadly unless your movement can reach the thousands its never going to have an effect on the forums. Most forum software makes moderation extremely easy. Hundreds of threads and posts can be dealt with rapidly and offenders and their posts can be taken out with a few clicks.

Better idea would be to make a fansite about the game and forum and conduct your revolution there and have those interested in your revolution link to the forum in their signature. Would make what your are trying to accomplish slightly more feasible.
  • Rommie10-284Rommie10-284 Member UncommonPosts: 265

This is a hilarious set of over-reactions for a game that has so few people who would care, but yet it's awesome for the sheer audacity of the demands.

Given the data points of a small player-confict game, a hardline developer, and a perception of wrongs needing correction by the loudest of the community, I'm surprised something like this hasn't happened until now.  I suppose it's the effort/reward equation that's stopped it from occuring, as getting all worked up for something not worth it in the end kind of puts a damper on the zeal.  It's far easier just to walk away and spend your time somewhere else.

Imagine, though, if a chunk of the EVE player powerbase tried to pull this stunt.  With a large enough scale, the developer can't simply ban all the offenders without setting a serious chunk of money on fire at the same time.  Could a playerbase faction that's large enough, in a large enough game, force concessions out of a developer? 

UPDATE all quotes:

FLS Rhaegar:

–noun

a declaration of an intention or determination to inflict punishment, injury, etc., in retaliation for, or conditionally upon, some action or course; menace: He confessed under the threat of imprisonment.

an indication or warning of probable trouble: The threat of a storm was in the air.

Do you disagree with the defnition of "threat".

I didn't say the players weren't justifired nor did I say the company was justified. But the player was making a public statement on a private forum indicting that the company had to capitulate to their demands or else.

There are bettter ways to have handled it. Heck, if he wanted to really stick it to them he could have motivated players off of the forums and submitted a letter with the appropriate signatures, even if they were on a fourm that was not the company forum, to the head of the company and  cc'ed the relevent people in the company.

If there really are egregious things going on then he could have also cc'ed some prominent game sites.

looking over his demands i would have banned him a second time with the exception of complaining of being mistreated by cm's. That should never happen. Even if the players (and don't deny they dont' do this) nerd rage on their forums. I've seen some horrible stuff oin the EQ2 forums and if I was the head of the company I would have fired those cm's.

I see your point.  I happen to side with consumers.  That's all.  Those that have something to lose, usually interpret a demand with measures to address as a threat, that's the way I see it.

FLS has a right to ban and the consumers have a right to demand.  lol  To be honest, I didn't know this game was being played all that much anyway, let alone worth being played.  But for sure, FLS must have to keep someone like this from influencing any other community members seeing as though they need all the cash they can get :)

It's not my revolution but I might join in, sounds like fun :)

What's more if he steps down it would be best thing for Potbs future.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

FLS has a right to ban and the consumers have a right to demand. 

Customers have no right to demand anything above the agreement they made.

What is happening in POTBS is very sad and should not be tolerated.

UPDATE all quotes:

FLS Rhaegar:

–noun

Do you disagree with the defnition of "threat".

I see your point.  I happen to side with consumers.  That's all.  Those that have something to lose, usually interpret a demand with measures to address as a threat, that's the way I see it.

FLS has a right to ban and the consumers have a right to demand.  lol  To be honest, I didn't know this game was being played all that much anyway, let alone worth being played.  But for sure, FLS must have to keep someone like this from influencing any other community members seeing as though they need all the cash they can get :)

I'm usually on the side of who I think is right.

I've seen really bad companies who deserve to go under. As I've mentioned, I've seen some cm's on the EQ2 forums who shocked me with what they said. If I was in charge i would have retrained them or fired them.

However, I've seen bad consumers as well. I've seen consumers who love getting something for nothing if they can and making demands that just didn't seem right.

There are better ways of handling this type of stuff, that's all I'm saying. As pyrostasis indicates, you can't just walz into their private forums and take it over. If players want to boycott the game then more power to them. But there are ways to do that.

Some of those demands just don't fly with me. I mean, how many forums actually allow players to post their cutomer service tickets?

And the few who have done so on these forums have sometimes revealed that what they were asserting wasn't the whole story.

I've seen horrible gamers who should be slapped and sent to their rooms. And I've seen some interviews with some game developers who appear to be some of those same horrible gamers but who managed to get jobs in game companies.

they should be slapped and sent to their rooms as well.

• MrhockeyMrhockey Member Posts: 5

I was also wrongly banned for breaking an nda when I was not in PnP beta or even knew there was one.

He is a cold hearted impulsive click person who dishes out infractions & bans at will, this is not the first time he has banned a loyal Potbs fan & won't be the last. Everyday there are mass posts deleted & infractions issued.

His forum avatar is a British flag but he makes sick to think he is a Brit as he acts more like a fascist dictator lol.

You weren't wrongly banned for breaking the NDA. The Dev's accidentally posted the patch notes to the expansion in the knowledge base of the support section of the game. You copied and pasted those notes and displayed them on these forums. Then you posted on the POTBS boards that expansion notes were on MMORPG.COM . FLS then asked  MMORPG.COM to pull the notes, and for your IP so that they could find the leak. Even after your initial ban you were allowed to continue posting under various pseudonyms, until you violated rule after rule earning multiple bans on multiple accounts. So please stop feigning innocents in that regard.

Originally posted by Mrhockey

You weren't wrongly banned for breaking the NDA. The Dev's accidentally posted the patch notes to the expansion in the knowledge base of the support section of the game. You copied and pasted those notes and displayed them on these forums. Then you posted on the POTBS boards that expansion notes were on MMORPG.COM . FLS then asked  MMORPG.COM to pull the notes, and for your IP so that they could find the leak. Even after your initial ban you were allowed to continue posting under various pseudonyms, until you violated rule after rule earning multiple bans on multiple accounts. So please stop feigning innocents in that regard.

That is virtually correct except I was a loyal fan of Potbs so was thinking as the notes were public-ally made available by FLS they must have been ok to promote with, I was not in that beta or had even applied to be in.

The fault was theirs as they patched their mistake or knowledge based leak soon after.

I swear to this day I had never seen or been made aware of any nda, it was only a patch expansion.

So how could I be banned for breaking it?

The only reason I was banned on my sons & subsequent accounts after was for being related to GB & posting after being banned which I shouldn't have been in the first place.

FLS Rhaegar knows all that but refuses to opologize & un-bann me, so I'm hoping this revolution works.

Trust me, they have been making mistakes by deleting posts that don't break any rules & ignoring posts that do.

He claims he is willing to discuss but is more willing to delete & ban to cover up his own mistakes.

That is positively bad & deliberately harmful community management in my opinion.

The sole fact that many other responsible Potbs fans have planned this revolution is proof of what a bad job FLS has done, they brought it on themselves. They are doing it to try to save the game.

It's free-to-play, free the forums, FREE Potbs!

It's time FLS showed they care or had a clue what they are doing, time for Rhaegar to go.

I'm sorry TOM but the responsiblity is yours, face it & resign, thanks for the tee shirt btw.

If you love Potbs just step down & go.

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

It's time FLS showed they care or had a clue what they are doing, time for Rhaegar to go.

So you want them to LIE?  ;-D

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Let's try to stay on topic and avoid any sort of political discussion/comments. Thanks.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Not really a productive thread, and it's pretty much veering all over the place into bashing and real life politics. Going to lock it. Please refrain from bashing without backing up our opinions, otherwise it may be considered trolling.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.