Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I need help with Leveling in FF 14

MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

I am sure I am doing something wrong.  It seems I can only do one quest leve a day.  I did one and it says there are no more available.  I cannot find any other quests to do either.  Is that all I can do each day beside grind? 

Can anyone give me some idea about how to level in this game.  There has to more to it than what I am doing.  I think I am level 8/5 right now.  I would like to grab another class too but I am unsure how to do it.  Any information/instructions on how to do that would be great.

Thanks in advance. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

Comments

• skeith138skeith138 Member Posts: 176

u can only do 8 leves (quest) per 32 hours a day.

i reccommend to lvup a conjurer as a second class though cuz u can get heals and dispells and makes it easier to lvup.

besides that u can always Ctaft if u like though. not really sure if u actually gain some xp back from doing crafting as other being pointing out.

besides that yes, it kindle plains seens there is nothing to do.

pretty much just login for ur 8 leves(about 1-2 hours) and logout. thats what most players being doing seens release.

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

Originally posted by skeith138

u can only do 8 leves (quest) per 32 hours a day.

i reccommend to lvup a conjurer as a second class though cuz u can get heals and dispells and makes it easier to lvup.

How do you do 8 leves?  i did one and when I was done it did not let me do another one.  Did I click the wrong thing.  Do I have to go somewhere and rest it?  Do I have to go to a different region? 

How do I train conjurer as my second?  I was trying to figure that out earlier.  Is there a level requirement to training up other jobs/classes whatever you want to call them.

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• DivinefairyDivinefairy Member Posts: 66

Hi MMOMan,

Go to town, in the adventurers guild, where you started the game.

There will be a man behind a desk, that offers guildleves.  Click on Battle leves, then " level ~1-10". It will pop up a window with some leves to choose, just spam  and u will pick them all up.

This NPC is not the person you talked to at the beginning fo the game, but htey are in the same room. There will likely be a crowd of people around it.

The one leve you got was probably from the starting NPC' not from the levequest vendor. The starting NPC sometimes (always?) gives you a levequest for free.

To USE a guildleve that you GET from the town NPC, you go to the appropriate Aetheryte in the world outside the town.  Open the menu, select Aetheryte, and it will say "Initiate Levequest". Click one, and it will activate. I recommend using Guardian's favor on all of your leves, an option to use that will pop up before every levequest activates.

When you run out of Leves at the aetheryte, you will have to wait 32 hours to get new ones, after the 32 hours, go to the NPC in town again and you will have to EXCHANGE your FINISHED leves for NEW ones, you can get bonuses depending on how many you trade for a particular leve.

This game is not intuitive at all and very clunky, it will take a bit of time to get used to it.

let us know if you figure it out.

To change classes simply change your weapon to whatever is the main weapon style of that class you want to change to. To change to a Lancer, equip a Lance, you will have to buy one in your town's market place, or go to the town that sells the particular item for the class you want to be.   If your town does not sell it, the only way to get to the other towns at this point is to, you guessed it, HIKE! It takes a while and you have to look at your map alot, and watch out for aggro mobs, but, you can touch all the Aetherytes on the way and then teleport to the town next time you need to go. REMEMBER WHEN YOU GET TO A NEW TOWN, GO TO THE AETHERYTE IN THE TOWN AND TOUCH IT!

Devinefairy, you are correct.  I think I only did the starter leve.  I thought the guildleves were only accessable by guilds......I guess I was way off base. 

So if I equip a cane or a wand and start to do damage I will level conjurer?  There is nothing to train?  That seems pretty easy.  The starting area that I am in has a conjurer guild section.  I went there and I did not see anyone selling anything.  At least I think I know what I am looking for.

Thanks man.  i appreciate the information. 

--John Ruskin

• XerenixXerenix Member UncommonPosts: 237

Which town/area did you start in and which server?

Town/area is Gridania

Server is Besaid

--John Ruskin

• KyrocKyroc Member Posts: 70

The beginner conjurer weapon is called a weathered cane and in Gridania it is sold by an NPC called Osgar. He is inbetween the adventurers guild and the Carpenters guild.  See http://ffxiv.yg.com/npc/osgar?id=1000337

The game takes a while to get used to but once you get the ball rolling, its pretty easy to pick up

You can also do 8 crafting leves per 36 hrs along with your 8 battle leve's. The leve vendors are in the adventurers guild behind a counter with bright blue lights above it. There will be two NPC's. One for crafting and one for Battle

Thanks for the information.

--John Ruskin

• Pro-PainPro-Pain Member Posts: 141

i don't know about gridania since i hated that place and tried not to hang out there but  all the starting weapons are sold by various npcs in the other two cities.  best way to find out is to talk to all the guys selling stuff to find out who sells what.  there are no npcs who just sell weapons for example (as far as i know).  instead it's set up so npcs that are from different regions in game sell stuff from their home turf.  also it seems that they are giving out more starter  weapons these  days as rewards for low level guild leves so that's another way to aquire new classes.

the struggle to free myself from restraints becomes my very shackles

• dsebutchrdsebutchr Member Posts: 245

So 8 battle leve's over 32 hours...and they only take like 2 hours to do...so your paying to play a game for 2 hours and your paying the same amount all other games charge with NO LIMITS.

Why do people play this game again?  Why would I pay for a game I can only play 2 hours in 32?

• VucinaVucina Member Posts: 42

Because it costs 10eur and it has no subscription....lol

Originally posted by dsebutchr

So 8 battle leve's over 32 hours...and they only take like 2 hours to do...so your paying to play a game for 2 hours and your paying the same amount all other games charge with NO LIMITS.

Why do people play this game again?  Why would I pay for a game I can only play 2 hours in 32?

The biggest draw to the game is that:

A) It is free to play, with immensely impressive graphics,

B) you get to experience, for no cost to you (except the box/disc itself) the evolution of a poor game, into something tasteful.

Square Enix will not let this game die, and they will implement means to bring a playerbase back to it; will it break molds? Who knows, likely not at this stage.

The idea is, in my eyes, you can actually feel the evolution of an MMO from a poorly implemented heap of junk, to a well manicured experience.  It will reach there one day, the only question is how many, at that point, will truly care?

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Either you have been sorely misinformed, or you are trying to sorely misinform others. Not sure which. Regardless,the entire premise of your post is incorrect.

You can play the game 24/7 if you want.

You can take up to 8 of your own leves in 32 hours. You can, however, assist others with as many as you wish.

You can craft.

You can harvest/mine/fish/etc.

You can do main storyline quests (as available).

You can do class quests (again, as available).

You can do side-quests that SE has added and will, apparently be continuing to add.

You can do Behests.

You can level other classes to round out your library of available skills.

You can mob grind if that's your thing.

And so on...

That may not be enough for you or others. But there are people who find plenty enough to do in the game to keep them occupied.

FFXIV is lacking content - no question. But you're taking it to absurd extremes there.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

Originally posted by WSIMike

Either you have been sorely misinformed, or you are trying to sorely misinform others. Not sure which. Regardless,the entire premise of your post is incorrect.

You can play the game 24/7 if you want.

You can take up to 8 of your own leves in 32 hours. You can, however, assist others with as many as you wish.

You can craft.

You can harvest/mine/fish/etc.

You can do main storyline quests (as available).

You can do class quests (again, as available).

You can do side-quests that SE has added and will, apparently be continuing to add.

You can do Behests.

You can level other classes to round out your library of available skills.

You can mob grind if that's your thing.

And so on...

That may not be enough for you or others. But there are people who find plenty enough to do in the game to keep them occupied.

FFXIV is lacking content - no question. But you're taking it to absurd extremes there.

What WSIMike said. Also, I would add that I really wouldn't recommend approaching this game as a solo experience. It's much, much more fun in groups, plus you don't have to worry about running out of leves that way. If you're in a group of 8 people, you're probably going to have at least 12-15 leves, even if you leve-link.

<3

• KyrocKyroc Member Posts: 70

Its 36 hours, not 32 btw

• ValerienValerien Member Posts: 26

Kind of long, sorry in advance I guess I had a lot more than 2 cents:

I recently came back to ffxiv and have been enjoying it. I purchased the collector's edition at launch as a FF fanboi and my enthusiasm quickly died after release.

I'm not sure if it's all the new director, but I can honestly say there have been huge improvements to the game in the past 6 months. They have made their bazaar system a fully functional local-auction house by adding a search function. Improved the UI in several ways, made leves (quests) more reasonable. Fixed the exp and partying system. Decreased gear durability decay.

Currently the game is lacking a bit of content but it's mainly because the devs are fixing the original concept design. The small towns are still hallow I believe (i have not confirmed this) but I have confirmed that the one large city that is not a starter city is still inaccessible and I believe will be a major 'hub' similar to jeuno in ffxi where much of the newly developed content will begin at.

If you have a single-classed gameplay style.. like ffxi this game is not for you. This game is all about leveling seperate classes and combing abilities/skills from all into your own 'unique' job based on the current objective and your playstyle preferences. The way the leves are designed in this game, you can only get 8 'normal' leves from the standard leve-yielding npc in each starter town each 36 hours. You can also pickup additional leves now, I have noticed since reactivating that there are actually npc's with !'s above their head that yield leves. From what I can tell these are a one time leve, and are fairly far and few in between. This may be the new development's direction of changing the way the game runs. A note to add, they are not bright yellow exclamation points, their are fairly subtle and do not distract from the beauty of the game.

The game needs a lot of work, but I agree that it appears SE will not let this crash and burn and are putting the neccessary work in to changing this for the better. They've added forums in the past 2 months where they are taking a lot of player feedback to ensure they are changing the game for the better. Although I am a fan of PvP, Without a griefable pvp system the community that remains generally only voices their concerns with the intention of improving the game so I believe the forum works well.

I'm bummed that I need to find a new linkshell and have been running solo lately but have had fun since I finally made myself a spear and started leveling lancer for some mindless grinding in between work calls (i work from home). after i hit level 19 I hit fatigue cap and went back to my 29 conj and started doing some leves again I was pleasantly surprised at how much exp I was gaining from the favor bonus doing it solo. I've read good things about linking leves and getting xp bonuses up to 3 players and have no tested it. I gained about 20k exp in about 2 hours doing 6 r30 leves though :-)

oh! also they have sped up crafting and crafting based leves a bit as well. which is very nice. the one thing about this game I can note is I originally played it on a dual core computer and it was my currenty-played game when I built my current i7 computer. I noticed a huge performance increase and noticed that many reviewers like pcgamer magazine used a computer that barely met the minimum requirements of the game when complaining about things like interface lag. It's a very beautiful game but takes a decent computer to run it well. I've noticed they have added a 'fog of war' in LL to speed it up, I assume this is for future ps3 compatibility though.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by Divinefairy

Hi MMOMan,

Go to town, in the adventurers guild, where you started the game.

There will be a man behind a desk, that offers guildleves.  Click on Battle leves, then " level ~1-10". It will pop up a window with some leves to choose, just spam  and u will pick them all up.

This NPC is not the person you talked to at the beginning fo the game, but htey are in the same room. There will likely be a crowd of people around it.

The one leve you got was probably from the starting NPC' not from the levequest vendor. The starting NPC sometimes (always?) gives you a levequest for free.

To USE a guildleve that you GET from the town NPC, you go to the appropriate Aetheryte in the world outside the town.  Open the menu, select Aetheryte, and it will say "Initiate Levequest". Click one, and it will activate. I recommend using Guardian's favor on all of your leves, an option to use that will pop up before every levequest activates.

When you run out of Leves at the aetheryte, you will have to wait 32 hours to get new ones, after the 32 hours, go to the NPC in town again and you will have to EXCHANGE your FINISHED leves for NEW ones, you can get bonuses depending on how many you trade for a particular leve.

This game is not intuitive at all and very clunky, it will take a bit of time to get used to it.

let us know if you figure it out.

To change classes simply change your weapon to whatever is the main weapon style of that class you want to change to. To change to a Lancer, equip a Lance, you will have to buy one in your town's market place, or go to the town that sells the particular item for the class you want to be.   If your town does not sell it, the only way to get to the other towns at this point is to, you guessed it, HIKE! It takes a while and you have to look at your map alot, and watch out for aggro mobs, but, you can touch all the Aetherytes on the way and then teleport to the town next time you need to go. REMEMBER WHEN YOU GET TO A NEW TOWN, GO TO THE AETHERYTE IN THE TOWN AND TOUCH IT!

Just READING it makes my head ache. Who programmed this game, The Joker? @__@

Sorry, I am always curious in MMOs, but this sounds.. something I can not type without being banned.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Yes, I agree, it is not a comfortable experience and there is no true tutorial to let you know what you're doing.  I don't enjoy the game at all, but, all I did was answer the OPs question. :).