Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should games let you import custom items made by players?

lunatislunatis Member UncommonPosts: 261

Hello!

I was thinking how cool it was for players to design their own unique items, like in seccond life, and be able to use them for themselves or trade them for items other players crafted.

I think this could work in some games (not all obviously), and it would be totaly awesome!

It would add a new element to the Auction House and also would help make your character more unique.

I know it wouldn't work if players walked around with dildos in world of warcraft, but what if a player designed say baseball bats, electric pocketlamps, chainsaws, jason's mask to use in games like The secret world. Wouldn't that make it even cooler to play in the long run? And people would make money selling their items for in-game money, so you don't have to grind or anything, or you can trade your item for a similar item.

Think about the posibilities! If I wan't to design a crazy barbie doll character I can design a bloody teddybear molotov as a grenade replacement. If I want to play a zombie stripper killer I could make myself a leather jacket and a bloody chainsaw that would act as a melee weapon.

Say I want to be an archer I can design my own bow!

Would that work or would it ruin the game? I'm thinking about a free to play game design here...

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Secondlife.com. That would be the end result.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • DaitenguDaitengu Member Posts: 442

The question is: How would you impliment it without the game becoming Second Life?

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Daitengu
    The question is: How would you impliment it without the game becoming Second Life?

Allow players to create custom items, but within the limits of the game itself, the way APB does it. You can't create a naked human shaped car, but you can create all types of clothing and you can paint vehicles in a large variety of ways.

Unless you're willing to allow all the dumb things people will try to get up to when given unlimited freedom, you have to set limits which may seem very restrictive to truly creative people.

* edit *
    It would not work in a game like WoW. The entire experience within the game is crafted and controlled by the developer. You'd have to have a much more free form game for it to work. It would have to fit into the game.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Originally posted by lunatis

Hello!

I was thinking how cool it was for players to design their own unique items, like in seccond life, and be able to use them for themselves or trade them for items other players crafted.

I think this could work in some games (not all obviously), and it would be totaly awesome!

It would add a new element to the Auction House and also would help make your character more unique.

I know it wouldn't work if players walked around with dildos in world of warcraft, but what if a player designed say baseball bats, electric pocketlamps, chainsaws, jason's mask to use in games like The secret world. Wouldn't that make it even cooler to play in the long run? And people would make money selling their items for in-game money, so you don't have to grind or anything, or you can trade your item for a similar item.

Think about the posibilities! If I wan't to design a crazy barbie doll character I can design a bloody teddybear molotov as a grenade replacement. If I want to play a zombie stripper killer I could make myself a leather jacket and a bloody chainsaw that would act as a melee weapon.

Say I want to be an archer I can design my own bow!

Would that work or would it ruin the game? I'm thinking about a free to play game design here...

Yes it would be pretty cool, but in terms of adding it to a game it would be a coding nightmare I would imagine.

As for those people saying it may turn a game into Second Life, well as long as it was a system tacked onto a game, with gaming content the primary driving force, I can't see the issue.

PS, Tbh the underlined probably would work...

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

I think no.  Most of the custom items players make have 2 fatal flaws for games.  A) Does not meet optimization requirements. B) It looks hideous.