Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is the Game now??

GoddwynnGoddwynn Member Posts: 49

Just created an account, and wanted to get some pro's and con's of peeps who play this. 

Thanks

Comments

• XxGrimmxXXxGrimmxX Member UncommonPosts: 223

I've played for years and have an account that is almost max level.

The pro's is that it is cheap to play, there is a TON of content, I would say even more so than most AAA titles and it also takes forever to accomplish anything, which IMO is a pro.

The cons are, poor customer support, I was hacked about 2 weeks ago by getting a keylogger from the official forums ( Lost over1.4 billion) and Jagex basically told me that it sucks to be me and they can't do anything at all about it, the graphics can be a bore sometimes as compared to other games you could be playing. If you are strictly in love with combat then it will get very repititive as the "best" weapons are very clear and using any other weapons but those is a foolish choice.

I have a friend that has played since 2001 literally about 6 hours a day, yeah I know lol. He still hasn't maxed out every stat. This is not a game that you can just easily walk into and become maxxed out in a matter of a few years.. expect about 10 years to do all of that.

This is just my 2 cents so take it with a grain of salt. Have fun =p

• PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682

RuneScape's official forums don't allow hyperlinks in them, so if you got a keylogger through there, you must be special.

CONS

RuneScape is a grind. There are 24 "skills", each of them can take anywhere from 300-500+ hours to "max out" (reach level 99). I played the game for 5-6 years and didn't even get halfway there.

Graphics are awful. Good for a browser-based game, but there's no reason why someone should play a browser-based game in this day and age with 500 GB hard drives. It's like saying "I'm the skinniest kid at fat camp". Good for you, but why not set the bar a little higher for yourself?

Game is 10 years old, so you're competing with people who have a 10 year head start on you. There are pros to this, but the big "con" is you can never really catch up.

The UI is painful if you ever do anything exciting like boss hunting. Combine that with these awful "loading... please wait" screens you get ever time you move too far in one direction or another (as it loads that area into local memory), which freezes your character and will easily get you killed in precarious situations, it's awful.

Since the game is so grind intensive, botting is basically the law of the land. Kinda ruins the gaming experience if you're not a cheater.

PROS

Characters are not required to play on one server, so all of the millions who play are potential friends and companions. This is pretty big. You will be able to find a group of players who you can get along with and who like the same things as you do, and create your own sub-community within the game.

Full Loot PK/PvP in the "Wilderness". The PKing is vibrant, but ganking isn't possible since folks not interested in PvP do not go to the PvP zone (the "Wilderness").

New players can make money fast, and can quickly integrate into the economic system. "Wealthy" veterans will pay premiums for items crafted/ gathered by lower-level players because those items are often used in higher level item crafting recipes. As such, it's easier than ever before to make the in-game cash you need for a lot of stuff.

Most of the game is pretty relaxing. That could be a con as well, because it's not very intense. You can AFK a lot of the time.

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

also must tell:

CONS:

- outdated game, very old and oldish graphic, endless grind, takes too much time to play.
    - it not that *cheap* to play as it was told, price range is from 6 to 12$ per month, which put this game on same place as LOTRO and even WoW.
    - community is awful: jealous kids, drugs users and other retards is like 95% of f2p community; tons of beggars & offences, show-off and insults, even at p2p, average age is 14 years old.
    - Jagex support is nothing: if your account was hacked, it all and only your fault, according to official forums, so once you got hacked you'll loose all you got by years of playing. All you can get is your account back (85% chance), but nothing else, so be ware of loosing your money, efforts on this game.
    - Minimum time to rise your character to something valuable is 2-3 years, means 220 350$ at lowest costs.
    - Low party options, it is solo game in base.
    - Every character you make is 100% independent & you can't trade between, no mail box or shared bank space either.

PROS:

- Game is addictive, intelligently made, many activities (nothing much at f2p, need sub to be good), tons of long & non-grind quests (here you don't need to kill X or bring Y, but resolve puzzles, find NPC and items, kill boss, use your trade skills and such)
    - Tons of trade skills will keep you busy for ages.
    - World is large, need quests & time to explore.
    - Action House (Grand Exchange) is + and - same time: you don't have to pay fee to sell your items, and can keep selling for ages, but you have limited space (max 7 items) for sell this way, very bad search options.
    - Many possibilities to customize your character such as costumes, wigs, armour looks.
    - Nice players own house with many options to make it unique.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• Jordan99tJordan99t Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by XxGrimmxX

I've played for years and have an account that is almost max level.

The pro's is that it is cheap to play, there is a TON of content, I would say even more so than most AAA titles and it also takes forever to accomplish anything, which IMO is a pro.

The cons are, poor customer support, I was hacked about 2 weeks ago by getting a keylogger from the official forums ( Lost over1.4 billion) and Jagex basically told me that it sucks to be me and they can't do anything at all about it, the graphics can be a bore sometimes as compared to other games you could be playing. If you are strictly in love with combat then it will get very repititive as the "best" weapons are very clear and using any other weapons but those is a foolish choice.

I have a friend that has played since 2001 literally about 6 hours a day, yeah I know lol. He still hasn't maxed out every stat. This is not a game that you can just easily walk into and become maxxed out in a matter of a few years.. expect about 10 years to do all of that.

This is just my 2 cents so take it with a grain of salt. Have fun =p

They can't do anything if you get "Hacked" It's was your own fault you should of kept your computer clean. I been play for 9 years off and on with Time Played: 155 days 7 hours. My total level is 1884 with almost six 99's and almost 100m Exp. Half of all my gameplay was minigames, moneymaking and hanging with friends...

So Play for about 1 year, 6 hours a day and you can get about six 99s, If you know what your doing...

• meilirsmeilirs Member UncommonPosts: 33

Actually Jordan, that is not true. In other games if you get hacked they will help you and give you your items back. Just because Jagex never does help people doesn't mean that it's impossible or even difficult to do.

• NatalieTamNatalieTam Member Posts: 13

I like RuneScape because it's so similar to EVE (in almost every way, good and bad. EVE offers more robust player politics and complex market tools, but that's about it).

Originally posted by meilirs

Actually Jordan, that is not true. In other games if you get hacked they will help you and give you your items back. Just because Jagex never does help people doesn't mean that it's impossible or even difficult to do.

Yeah but it's still not there fault. If they would give items back people would abuse it or just end up getting hacked again because they don't know how to use an anti-virus. How about you just don't be an idiot keep your computer secure and make your password and recovery questions hard to guess.

Well obviously it isn't Jagex's fault. It's not like Jagex staff went to your house and stole your computer so they could get your RS items. No one is aying it's Jagex's fault.

But you did say "They can't do anything" which is definitely not true. They can do something. The same problems exist in other games but people still get customer service and they get their items back. You think other games have no hackers?

Well obviously it isn't Jagex's fault. It's not like Jagex staff went to your house and stole your computer so they could get your RS items. No one is aying it's Jagex's fault.

But you did say "They can't do anything" which is definitely not true. They can do something. The same problems exist in other games but people still get customer service and they get their items back. You think other games have no hackers?

Okay so lets just say they gave items back. Lets say I got hacked my yellow party hat. what are they just going to bring a new partyhat into the game...

Runescape is alot different then other games. There are alot of accounts getting hacked everyday bring new items in the game might make the economy even worse.

Runescape gets in the region of 200,000 denial of services a day, Jagex's servers are among the most secure in the world.

The only way you can get "hacked" is from the players computers.

I can see if Jagex's servers got hacked, They would give items back if players lost them. or just roll back.

• Justin83xJustin83x Member Posts: 406

Originally posted by Jordan99t

Okay so lets just say they gave items back. Lets say I got hacked my yellow party hat. what are they just going to bring a new partyhat into the game...

Yes thats what they do pretty much. Also its hard to abuse since they can (the devs) track what you really have, and haven't lost. You haven't played any other games have you? If you had I think you would know these things.

They obviously would not create new items, just take them back from whatever bank it ended up in. It's not rocket science and a multi-million dollar operation like Jagex could do it if they wanted to - they just can't be bothered.

Jordan, not to be rude or anything, but are you actually saying Jagex customer support is good?

BTW I hope you don't mean me in particular because I have the most expensive item in RS and I have never been "hacked." Been playing since 2001, too. Here's the link for my bank - http://stripeybank.blogspot.com/2010/11/older-runescape-bank.html

• AkaJetsonAkaJetson Member Posts: 1,167

They just released clan support, if you want to look at it go to the website then under community click clans.

?

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

ROFL!!!!
    Restore data of day you have been hacked is easy, only Jagex somehow never bother self to make any decent support.
    I got hacked at WoW, by my fault surely, as I visited game forum gave me key logger (forum ranked save by antivirus, nothing was found until i ran Spy Bot, by the way), but Blizzard has great support as they: blocked my account & waited me to contact them, traced all transactions done from all my 12 characters in 2 hacked realms!!!!

RESTORED ALL my game money & items. That i can call real support!!! Bow to Blizz!

Back to RS: seems Jagex got so bad time after they done all restrictions & most of players stopped paying the game, then they have not enough staff to get rid of botting programs pwned RS at 100% as we can see BOTs everywhere in game, even questing or playing mini games.
    I've played like 10 MMO so far, never seen something similar even at f2p games. So sorry to tell but Jagex have 1 of worse ever tech supports, RS looks for that matter like any f2p games, but beside the publicity of: MOST POPULAR FREE TO PLALY GAME, hehe,
    RS is pay to play.
    If Jagex could bring more respect to their customers may be RS would stopped to be called total noob game & get some decent feed backs.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2