Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You'r Opinion on Eve Online

aedanaedan Member Posts: 23

I want every body who has ever played Eve online to give me there opinion on the game, was it good was it bad, why did you like it, why didn't you like it. In addition please vote on the poll below.::::13::

Comments

• natasnatas Member Posts: 135

I have played over 2 years now.

I vote no, Because the game at this time is a nightmare especialy for new players.

If they started a new server with the same progression as the first i would quit and join that server.

Blob wars suck with the lag, Scammers abound, Ganking just for the thrill is at a fever pitch.

So if you want to play eve and your just starting go to ebay...buy some isk then go to eve sell forums and buy a decent char. "most likely mine"image

Mooooo™

• dakilla666dakilla666 Member UncommonPosts: 306

Actualty, will the advanced learning skills and tutorial (a little on the long side but very helpful), new players can make their way quite easily in EVE. There is handful of different thnigs you can do in empire and even some remote locations where you can cross into low security space to have some fun.

The "progression" dosen't really mean anything except for the fact that many alliances lay claim to 0.0 territory. That dosen't mean they own it, just means they will defend it from ennemies and unwelcome guests.

New server imo would ruin this game since in real life, you aren't always given fair odds, your not always the best in every domain and is a good reminder that in EVE, a single person is not an army but a soldier in an army. Whether you have 1M or 25M skill points, your are still only 1 ship which can be blown up with ease if you try and solo around in this game.

Blob wars are fairly uncommon, alot of people choose to NOT engage in fleet operations but rather in small combat groups. As for lag, the ability to shut off turret and special effects was added into the game with the last major patch and it has removed ALL lag during fleet ops and taking of space stations. I've been in fights involving over 100 ships firing at each other and my frame rate was still in the mid 20's, which is pretty good when you consider the max I get is usualy in the mid 30's.

Buying a character of E-bay or even ISK for that fact is really, really lame. The entire aspect of creating your own personnal character from the ground up is so much better than just getting someone's pre-made character. Even if you get a guy with loads of SP's, that won't make you any better at the game and top of it, all the skills left to be trained will probably be in the 2 weeks+ period, so, quite lame in that domain as well.

I myself, highly recommend this game to serious gamers. There is no grinding, no classes and you are never realy forced to do anything in this game. The only limitations found here are based on yourself and the communication you have with others.(i.e. If you tick off a pvp corporation, just might restrict you from going into their space if they are based out of 0.0.)

Dakilla[666] ~ The Realm ~ Level 1000 enchanter (retired)
    Maranthoric ~ La 4ieme Prophetie ~ Level 160 (5x) HE/Feu (de retour)
    Leonthoric[DDC] ~ EVE online ~ <Fire The "Laser"> (retired)

• natasnatas Member Posts: 135

Originally posted by dakilla666

Actualty, will the advanced learning skills and tutorial (a little on the long side but very helpful), new players can make their way quite easily in EVE. There is handful of different thnigs you can do in empire and even some remote locations where you can cross into low security space to have some fun.
    The "progression" dosen't really mean anything except for the fact that many alliances lay claim to 0.0 territory. That dosen't mean they own it, just means they will defend it from ennemies and unwelcome guests.
    New server imo would ruin this game since in real life, you aren't always given fair odds, your not always the best in every domain and is a good reminder that in EVE, a single person is not an army but a soldier in an army. Whether you have 1M or 25M skill points, your are still only 1 ship which can be blown up with ease if you try and solo around in this game.
    Blob wars are fairly uncommon, alot of people choose to NOT engage in fleet operations but rather in small combat groups. As for lag, the ability to shut off turret and special effects was added into the game with the last major patch and it has removed ALL lag during fleet ops and taking of space stations. I've been in fights involving over 100 ships firing at each other and my frame rate was still in the mid 20's, which is pretty good when you consider the max I get is usualy in the mid 30's.
    Buying a character of E-bay or even ISK for that fact is really, really lame. The entire aspect of creating your own personnal character from the ground up is so much better than just getting someone's pre-made character. Even if you get a guy with loads of SP's, that won't make you any better at the game and top of it, all the skills left to be trained will probably be in the 2 weeks+ period, so, quite lame in that domain as well.
    I myself, highly recommend this game to serious gamers. There is no grinding, no classes and you are never realy forced to do anything in this game. The only limitations found here are based on yourself and the communication you have with others.(i.e. If you tick off a pvp corporation, just might restrict you from going into their space if they are based out of 0.0.)

Well at least you sound like you know what your talking about even though i totaly disagree,Except for the ebay stuff yes its lame but i understand why someone wouldnt want to wait 2+ years to have a char with 20+ mill skill points.

Yes i know the new learning skills...still takes months to train those. Enjoy your delusions.

Mooooo™

• magik_fxmagik_fx Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 278

Originally posted by natas
    I have played over 2 years now.
    I vote no, Because the game at this time is a nightmare especialy for new players.
    If they started a new server with the same progression as the first i would quit and join that server.
    Blob wars suck with the lag, Scammers abound, Ganking just for the thrill is at a fever pitch.
    So if you want to play eve and your just starting go to ebay...buy some isk then go to eve sell forums and buy a decent char. "most likely mine"image

Its really not that bad starting over right now. Of course there are problems with what you mentioned but they shouldn't deter people from playing - you learn to live with it. Blob wars are a moot point as most people will not take part in them. Scammers happen in every game and you can always learn how to prevent it - read things through and don't rampantly click on escrows without inspecting merchandise. Ganking happens, insure your ship and don't head straight to low sec space in your first week.

Ebaying right at the beginning of your eve career would be a bad idea. Starting with a char that has 15m+ SP would just overwhelm any new player and leave them baffled as to what to actually do. Besides, character building is one of the great things in EVE.

• bionicvapourbionicvapour Member Posts: 1

I love this game!!! I am a 16day old noob in the game within two days I joined a Corp and they have helped me out alot. So being new is not so bad, although I have made my mistakes. I joined this game coming from SWG. I played SWG for over a year with two accounts, and I have to say this game is far more noob friendly. The game world is huge!!!! image

P.S. listen to Eve-Radio while you play makes things fun too!

• JaradielJaradiel Member Posts: 2

EVE is a nice game by itself, and is not too harsh on new players. There are several aspects in the game that can be overwhelming at the beginning without any guidance though. The graphics are nice, and not too demanding, but sound effects feel a bit canned.
    Gameplay can become repetetive fairly quickly, say after about a month of play, although the first two weeks are a blast. The end-game can be fun, depending on your choices and tastes: ;ate game PvE makes you feel like a script at times, the only excitement may be getting one of the ridiculously over-priced upgrades. Late game PvP can be a joy, but can end up id flaming.

The latest major upgrade has introduced a lot of balancing issues which have still not been resolved, and some have been present more or less since launch. The economy is completely off when advanced items come into play as well as advanced ships.

I would advise against playing. At least until balance issues are resolved, and some of the tedium is removed.

• SkarsnikSkarsnik Member Posts: 9

Originally posted by natas
    Well at least you sound like you know what your talking about even though i totaly disagree,Except for the ebay stuff yes its lame but i understand why someone wouldnt want to wait 2+ years to have a char with 20+ mill skill points.
    Yes i know the new learning skills...still takes months to train those. Enjoy your delusions.

Have to say your initial post did have some interesting points in regards blob wars etc etc. However I have friends who started way after me (4 days after retail) and have caught me up on SP just form the use of implants and advance learning skills. My Char is now over 2 years old, and those who started just 12 months have reached a very proficient lvl, so this game is catering for new players more and more. But this game isn't focused on SP, I always wonder why people are so facinated about how much SP they have. It's not SP it's using the right mods and ship setups nothing more nothing less.

Overall I recommend EVE-O, just for it's originality in the skil base and lack of grinding to 'Level Up'. On another + side the dev'd (CCP) are very good at communicating with the playerbase and always have things in the pipeline to get you excited about.

• CennCenn Member Posts: 239

Originally posted by Jaradiel
    The economy is completely off when advanced items come into play as well as advanced ships.

What are you on about?

the economy is completely player run... there is a small supply of T2advanced) gear, and the method of making it is long and complicated and involved a lot of people

and everyone wants the t2 gear - of course it'll be expensive.

supply and demand.

it 'aint broke.

• KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787

EVE is a thinking person's MMO. It's a huge virtual world, with a steep learning curve and very little hand holding. You can do what you want (from mining to trading to industry, to killing NPCs, to PvP to running agent missions, to corporate politics, territorial wars, roleplaying etcetera). All of that provides the context for the upsides and downsides of EVE.

The PROS are:

1. Great variety in gameplay.
    2. Open-Ended player-driven game for the most part.
    3. Very good graphical content.
    4. Excellent opportunities for working together with others to achieve broader goals.
    5. In some respects (skill system) casual friendly, in others not punitive to more hardcore gamers.
    6. Rewards intelligent, careful gamers.

The CONS are:

1. Skill training, while continuing offline, is quite time consuming and takes months to get to a decent level, and several more beyond that to get to a more proficient level. You don't have to be logged in for all of that, but you wont get the benefit of being logged in in terms of speeding that up, either. You just have to wait. You can use implants and advanced learning skills to speed it quite a lot but it still takes time.

2. If you like to solo, you'll get bored after a while in EVE. I dont think that should be an issue, but there are a surprising number of people who play online games who like to solo. EVE is not a great fit for that.

3. If you like twitch-based reflex-oriented combat, you won't like EVE.

4. CCP keeps tinkering with the game, which, when combined with the skill training and how long it can take to retool in a different direction, can be an issue down the road.

In all in my view its the best out there for a thinking person, but it isn'[t the best fit for everyone.

• NFWolfDudeNFWolfDude Member Posts: 304

I'll drop back to the original post. EVE is a great game, it works for a casual gamer and someone who is online all the time. You can start now with no problems. I started my current character in January and it's been no problem "catching up" or making money or anything else. The people are awesome and only after the big patches are there real headaches with bugs...but they get worked well and quickly by the devs. Just don't expect to "power level" because it's not possible and it takes a while to get into a battleship, if that is your goal, but ... with all the different types of ships now, it seems that people are wheening themselves away from these to a degree and learning that smaller ships surely have their uses and places. Just my 2 ISK.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    NFWolfDude

• baldmanpukebaldmanpuke Member Posts: 23

I am a noob still in the trial period, and I am going to stay with EVE.  The positives of endless exploration, skill development, ship upgrades, and graphics override the negatives of repetitious system jumping and missions. 

Part of the appeal is the sense of danger when you leave the protection of 0.5 space - you never know who or what you will encounter in <0.4.  I was podded my second day, but I look at it as a learning experience.  (Gotta love insurance and clone upgrades).  I consider the steep learning curve to ba an asset, as it will take some time to learn the intricacies of trading, corporations, etc.  This is a thinking gamer's game.

P.S.  And I would never consider buying ISK or a character - where's the fun in that?  I'd rather take the time to build on my current 195k skill points.

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822

Whats the point of having this poll......in the Eve online section of the forums?  I guess its so you can see if the people playing Eve actually like it, lol.

...if you want unbiased responses ,try general.

• magik_fxmagik_fx Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 278

Originally posted by Bama1267
    Whats the point of having this poll......in the Eve online section of the forums? I guess its so you can see if the people playing Eve actually like it, lol.

...if you want unbiased responses ,try general.

Sorry but general would be just as "biased". The WoW kiddies and other flaming fanboys would just hit no out of spite, and most likely make extra accounts just to vote no as well. It makes no difference what the results of the poll are anyways - if you like, play it.

• CopelandCopeland Member Posts: 1,955

I think by its overall rating on this site you'll find theres quite alot of fans here. Sure its not like WoW but its respectable considering its niche market. Eve is a game you either love or hate. It's not about how fast you can level its about how well you cooperate with your corpmates. It's a great game and theres a free trial so try it for yourself risk free :)

• AlkatrazAlkatraz Member Posts: 119

Originally posted by Cenn
    Originally posted by Jaradiel
    The economy is completely off when advanced items come into play as well as advanced ships.

What are you on about?

the economy is completely player run... there is a small supply of T2advanced) gear, and the method of making it is long and complicated and involved a lot of people

and everyone wants the t2 gear - of course it'll be expensive.

supply and demand.

it 'aint broke.

If u think the economy is player driven then u are truelly a dreamer living in another eve universe then the rest of us... Every single bit of the economy is controlled by CCP and not by players !

As for the original poster.....if u used to play SWG and loved it don't ever come near EVE...i will give u some reasons :

1. In EVE training takes a lot of time, and just when u thoght u had become what u wanted CCP comes and nerfs the hell out of u in the name of a so called ballance cause....after 2 years from launch there isn't a ballance whatsoever between ship clases and as in SWG they keep adding "content " patch after another and lie their costumers delaying other things that should have been in game long ago....tec 2 missiles any1?

2. If u liked the ability from SWG to do whatever u wanted when u wanted (read soloing) then eve is not for u as the pve aspect of this game is the worst from any seen on curent market and in pvp everything is build arround ganking 20vs1 and waiting endlessly for some idiot to jump trough the gate to blow him up.

3. The so called Huge universe is an ilusion made by the tedious travelling system wich favours AFK-ness or the ones who think that it's so cool to be able to browse on internet while playing an online game....

4. If u think music and grapfics are a plus to this game....better think again, as if u like to pvp u would want to disable sound and put ur graphics on lowests quality possible and zooming out as far as possible for keeping up with the lag, therefor been unable to take joy from anything else but "cool" explosions

5. Grinding.... u will read on this forums a lot about the coolest game in history wich has no grind whatsoever (that been EVE)....that is only if u think at grinding only from the advancement of ur character point of view.....EVE has a painfull death system and u will end up not grinding for skills or exp but for money and inevitably u will be introduced to the "wonderfull" world of mining or to the "exciting" and "never repetitive" world of missions.

All in all if ure looking for a game that would add another job to ur existing real life one then by all means EVE is for u and u will feel worm and cosy.

If i would to sum EVE in one word that would be WAITING (as some other member of mmorpg.com said it some time ago), waiting for ur ship to travell 10 jumps...waiting for ur screen to load after jumping into a swarm of enemy ships...waiting for ur ship to dock...waiting for ur turets to finaly obey u and open fire... waiting for some1 to jump trough a gate so u could shoot him.....waiting for the oposing side to finaly gather twice numbers as u have so that they would leave the safe spots and engage.....WAITING!!!!

• TheWizzardTheWizzard Member Posts: 8

To put what I thought of EVE after playing it for something of a time:

Graphics are great, theme is fair, and game play is okay.  Fun factor tends to drop rather quickly over time, running about 2 months before I was bored out of my skull.  Grief factor is rather up and down, being that "fresh meat" means easy to a rather large segment at times.  Overall, I didn't find a lot of balance in the game after it was fully underway and there were so many vets.  Not a good example of what I would want in a space combat sim, though the graphics are the one outstanding feature I found.  I would like to spend some time with the team that created the rendering engine, models, and skins.  Well done to that team.

For Love, Honor, and Family!

• fizzle32fizzle32 Member Posts: 171

It has its ups and downs.

Definitely not for everybody, you'll either love it or hate it. Personally I loved it, but still suck at playing it, does that count?

The concept behind it is just second to none, there is nothing else that even compares, it's a living breathing world where the players make the story and the players ARE the backstory.

Alot of times I'll visit the eve homepage and they have storylines that pertain to stuff done by players, so a corp will accomplish something and get their name all over the papers. Like moo corp was so infamous they have their name in some of the missions.

THe downside is that some of the players treat the game like space diablo, and use alts to grief people, corp theft, scam, steal ore, and also that it's impossible to be a pure manufacturing corp, you cannot be a carebear, there is no option, anybody can declare you. In a way it's good, but I think this aspect of the game puts alot of people off, that there is NO option for non-pvp play.

• TheWizzardTheWizzard Member Posts: 8

There is why I lost interest in the game.  After two months, it's nothing but repetition.  Lack of depth to it, in other words.  PvP is a "no brainer" from my perspective.  There is no true direction in the game, and player driven is great, but there needs to be more than just a "mob mentality" running the game, and there wasn't during my time there.  What I found instead was "crush, kill, destroy" as the single theme of the game, and no adventure or elvolving existince.  You have one direction to which you can go, or fall.  And after a short while it just isn't worth it anymore, because it stopped being fun.

To compare it to another game I once played, counter-strike (max of 50 players on player run servers), it becomes stale.  I played that a touch on invitation from a friend, and once you master sniping players in the head on the fly, that's it.  The maps all start to look the same, no depth no nothing.

For me, I get bored very easy, and I want a game that makes it like a never ending novel, that keeps me up all night because I can't wait to get to the next page in the book.  I want the game to be interesting enough that the wife doesn't get mad because I spend more time with the game than with her because SHE's hooked on the game too.  EVE just doesn't fit the bill.

For Love, Honor, and Family!

• dakilla666dakilla666 Member UncommonPosts: 306

The Wizzard, when you find that game, please let us all know. I really don't mean that in a diragotary way either, I myself spent the better of two years, searching the MMO market up and down for a game that would offer me everything I could ever want. Needless to say, that search fell well short and I myself went back to playing multiplayer games such as Counter-Strike and Natural Selection for awhile.

However, just last year, my friend showed me EVE and I was totally intrigued, the skill system is so undemanding that I don't feel the need to grind ever unless I want to. If I don't have time to spend in game one week, I will not fall behind others so to speak. I might miss out of a few good events but those seem to happen rather frequently around my area of space anyways.

Sure, EVE has it's up's and down's but, I feel that it is one of the best MMO's available on the market. There is tons to do in EVE and you can keep flip flopping around changing your way to get around every so often to keep things different (sure some of it gets repetitive but, so does everything in life ... unfortunately *sigh* ... anyways, enough personnal testimony).

Dakilla[666] ~ The Realm ~ Level 1000 enchanter (retired)
    Maranthoric ~ La 4ieme Prophetie ~ Level 160 (5x) HE/Feu (de retour)
    Leonthoric[DDC] ~ EVE online ~ <Fire The "Laser"> (retired)

• _myko_myko Member Posts: 333

my opinion? a great game that pandered a bit too much to the mass market and lost its focus. A tradegy of an MMORPG, never quite lived up to its potential. The NWO is the only thing on the horizon that looks like it could sort some of the problems, but IMO too many players now are used to the lazy eve-quest style of play.

one of the best player economies out there, tactical combat (but not really as good as it could have been), great graphics, superb ambient sound, grown up attitude towards PvP.

the negatives are: incredibly slow development cycle, too much emphasis on gate combat, chokepoint based gate arrangment, little to no dev storyline, a lot of grinding (either agent missions, npc'ing or mining for isk).

---sig---

PvE in general is pretty lame, if you think long and hard about it. You are spending your time beating a severely gimped AI that would lose to a well trained monkey. Best not to think too long and hard why you are wasting time playing games in general actually...