Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you hate long Skill Cooldowns >>

GoromhirGoromhir Member UncommonPosts: 463

then AION isnt a game for you.

This is the game with the longest and most boring Skill cooldown times i have seen. Never mind what class you start, you will suffer from boring and endless waiting for the skill refresh..

Priests fastest Hit > 8 sec follow up chain is 16 sec  isnt 5 sec and 8 sec more fun ?? As if Smite isnt already stupid enough with its 2 sec casting time and 2sec cooldwn. 

Spiritmasters Pet Attack skill cooldown > 12 sec.... Why ???

even Mellee classes have to wait 6 to 8 sec for their 1st attack skill to cooldown forever.

The stupid standard casting times of 2 sec for every Magic skill, nukes, heals etc  is very frustrating, but it can be lowered later with gear... if you ever get there

There are even simple fighting skills with 30 sec cooldown.

Grinding in AION is a pain especially if your killing faster than your cooldowns refresh.

Often when playing my Cleric i am waiting for this Hallowed Strike to cooldown , all i can do is to watch the Auto-Attack

Why the heck does AION have such long cooldown times ? Why must the Chain attack skills have 16s or even 30s cooldown ?

All cooldowns in AION should be reduced by at least 25% to make this games combat more enjoyable. The chain attacks are neat but to slow.

Grinding + AION = sleep well............... have fun watching your Auto-Attack

Comments

• getonagetona Member UncommonPosts: 98

Im playing A cleric  and i dont think the the Skill CD are long by the time i complete my rotation the CD are already back on.

• LeucrottaLeucrotta Member Posts: 679

No problems with my SM

skill rotation fits perfectly.

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136

From the sounds of it Portland you have just started playing and are looking into which class you want to play.  Don't give up so soon on Aion though.  The cooldowns will seem long and the combat boring at first but as mentioned this will change drastically after level 10-15.  There is a reason for the delay.

In Aion a lot of skills are packaged up as multi-leveled "chains".  In the beginning levels you should get a few "chain starters", each having the 8 second (or about) delay you are talking about.  As you level, some of the starter skills get other skills tied to it.  The only way to use the second chain skill is by using the chain starter.  Imagine you have 3 chains starters that each have two seperate abilities after them.  Thats a total of 6 abilities.  If you weave (letting an auto-attack in before hitting the next chain) that 8 seconds will be nothing and in most cases will refresh perfectly.

At about level 30 there will be times you have to choose between skill chains/reactive skills.  Once the starter ability is used the second chain will only stay up a certain amount of time and then reset.  Additionally once a chain is started it will go away if another chain is used.

Here is a brief example with a Mage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm54wEDKoCM

If you like knee-jerk, interactive combat you will love Aion.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

So OP is talking about the begining of the game for several classes being very slow paced and then assumes the rest of the game is like the starter zones / levels.

This seems highly illogical captain.

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608

Sorry but this is clearly just another attack from someone who hasent even gotten out of poeta ( starting zone) by the sounds it.

I really am frustrated at these statements made about games and not just talking about Aion. The thing is some people out their might actually take some not from it.

This OP is not true, end of story.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by Laughing-man

So OP is talking about the begining of the game for several classes being very slow paced and then assumes the rest of the game is like the starter zones / levels.

I don't agree.  If it's slower than most games to begin with, then there's no reason to believe that it will meet/exceed other games pace-wise as you level. 

I agree it's not always good to assume(as you might make an ass out of Uma Thurman), but it's a logical assessment.

Kinda like folks thinking LotRO armor is just painted on the body, as it certainly seems to be during the tutorial.  Not true, really, but I get why they think that.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

OP, I think you have found the problem I was having with Aion combat.  It just felt slow and tedious to me.  Which for a game that has you grind mobs so much, makes NO sense.  Combat definitely needs to be sped up, I might even consider giving it a second chance if they changed that aspect.

lol the combat is way faster then Rift i played both to max. It's the same speed as WoW on  i346 gear @ lvl 85. If u want to 3-5 shot mobs u need good gear. This game is a spam skill fest,  my cleric only have 2 skills that use GCD.

either u dont know how to play properlly or  not wearing proper gear. the only class thats slow is ranger becus u dont skill until lvl 17+ so u gotta kite mobs.

im so sicken tired of people posting BS on this website. don't post if u sound like u got no clue.

Originally posted by Sukiyaki

Originally posted by Robsolf

Originally posted by Laughing-man

I don't agree.  If it's slower than most games to begin with, then there's no reason to believe that it will meet/exceed other games pace-wise as you level. 

I agree it's not always good to assume(as you might make an ass out of Uma Thurman), but it's a logical assessment.

Kinda like folks thinking LotRO armor is just painted on the body, as it certainly seems to be during the tutorial.  Not true, really, but I get why they think that.

If you just played a class for like 3 hours you dont go to a gameforum and create threads acting like you "warn" player about your assumptions how the game turns out in general. You may say "hey i am displeased with how it turned out until now, until now it sucked etc pp" but you dont start to make multiple threads "warning" player who experience just a little bit less than you about your assumptions of the remaining gameplay and pretend you speak from actual experience when its obviously not.

But you're basically ASSUMING that he only played for 3 hours.  In open beta, I played a full weekend, 10-15 hours at least, and found not only recharge times to be slow, but rest times, as well.  Not saying it's a bad game, but I found no reason to disagree with the OP regarding the specific point they were making.

...not only recharge times to be slow, but rest times, as well...

This is a great point and I do think NC should tweek out-of-combat health/mana regeneration.  At least in the first 25 levels if not across all levels.

As far as combat goes it will be slower at first due to having a skill chain based combat system.  I never had a problem with the system in the early levels but once you get a few deeps chains and reactives the system becomes really fun.  Back when there was a mid 30's grind the combat system was what made it a non-issue.

I agree that a person shouldn't have to play to level 25 or 30 in order to enjoy the combat mechanics.  Most like it even from the beginning but everyone's different.  If Aion really intrests someone and the only stopping them is the early combat system I would say it's worth the wait.

Edit: One thing to keep in mind is that stigma skills, which are class specific, aren't available until level 25.  This is the first of a few "milestone" levels that effect each class as you play.

Originally posted by Deron_Barak

This is a great point and I do think NC should tweek out-of-combat health/regeneration.  At least in the first 25 levels if not across all levels.

As far as combat goes it will be slower at first due to having a skill chain based combat system.  I never had a problem with the system in the early levels but once you get a few deeps chains and reactives the system becomes really fun.  Back when there was a mid 30's grind the combat system was what made it a non-issue.

I agree that a person shouldn't have to play to level 25 or 30 in order to enjoy the combat mechanics.  Most like it even from the beginning but everyone's different.  If Aion really intrests someone and the only stopping them is the early combat system I would say it's worth the wait.

From my experience,(I played the rogue class- can't recall if that was the actual name) Aion didn't seem as quick to "front-load" skills like many games do.  It may have every bit as many skills available to players as other games do, but initially, I found myself running out of options much quicker in combat than in other games at the comparable levels.  This also accentuates the recharge time issue, maybe even exaggerating it. 

The OOC health regen reminded me alot of the 2nd gen games, which isn't a bad thing at all, but mob placement and respawn seemed alot more 3rd gen.  2nd gen games like SWG were alot more sparse with mobs, many of which were clustered together, leaving massive empty spaces.  This gave you alot more opportunity to check to see if the coast is clear, then have a seat to speed up recovery.   3rd gen games pack more mobs into a given space and they respawn faster to ensure there are plenty around.  In Aion I found myself sneaking in, making a kill, then hoofing it back to a road so I could sit and rest.  Rinse, repeat.  Slowed down gameplay immensely, and not really in a good way, IMO.

So yeah, either a speedier recovery would be good, or maybe looking more into how mobs are placed.

This is a great point and I do think NC should tweek out-of-combat health/regeneration.  At least in the first 25 levels if not across all levels.

From my experience,(I played the rogue class- can't recall if that was the actual name) Aion didn't seem as quick to "front-load" skills like many games do.  It may have every bit as many skills available to players as other games do, but initially, I found myself running out of options much quicker in combat than in other games at the comparable levels.  This also accentuates the recharge time issue, maybe even exaggerating it. 

The OOC health regen reminded me alot of the 2nd gen games, which isn't a bad thing at all, but mob placement and respawn seemed alot more 3rd gen.  2nd gen games like SWG were alot more sparse with mobs, many of which were clustered together, leaving massive empty spaces.  This gave you alot more opportunity to check to see if the coast is clear, then have a seat to speed up recovery.   3rd gen games pack more mobs into a given space and they respawn faster to ensure there are plenty around.  In Aion I found myself sneaking in, making a kill, then hoofing it back to a road so I could sit and rest.  Rinse, repeat.  Slowed down gameplay immensely, and not really in a good way, IMO.

So yeah, either a speedier recovery would be good, or maybe looking more into how mobs are placed.

Scouts are tough leveling at first since they don’t have any healing abilities, heavy armor or many stuns.  I hear the Assassin becomes a monster at 30 and the Ranger is good throughout if you are good at kiting.

I agree there are fewer skills to begin with than in other MMOs, I remember thinking that when I first played.  It didn’t matter to me at the time though because it was beta/release and I was really excited to play.  In order to get the most out of your skills, weaving auto attacks in is a must (also knowing which chains to bail on because a reactive just popped up).  On my gladiator, at 46, I will run out of skills if I blow all of my chains and stand alone skills one right after the other without weaving.  That’s about 15 abilities (attack) give or take what end chain procs come up and if my knock down reactives pop.  This is all within about 10 seconds I believe, I can test it when I get home.  I only have to wait 2-3 seconds for skills to start refreshing but if I weave between just two abilities I can usually sustain indefinitely using skills.

Here’s my point: Aion’s combat system is more about you making the right decisions on the spot as opposed to selecting the right combination from a sea of “use anytime” skills.  For me Aion has the best combat mechanics than any other game I have played.  Multi-tiered chain skills + reactive skills + Proc chance skills + Stand alone skills = a whole lot of fun once you get the hang of it.  The only bad thing about Aions combat system is that you have to wait a little while for the full picture to come into focus.

Scouts are tough leveling at first since they don’t have any healing abilities, heavy armor or many stuns.  I hear the Assassin becomes a monster at 30 and the Ranger is good throughout if you are good at kiting.

I agree there are fewer skills to begin with than in other MMOs, I remember thinking that when I first played.  It didn’t matter to me at the time though because it was beta/release and I was really excited to play.  In order to get the most out of your skills, weaving auto attacks in is a must (also knowing which chains to bail on because a reactive just popped up).  On my gladiator, at 46, I will run out of skills if I blow all of my chains and stand alone skills one right after the other without weaving.  That’s about 15 abilities (attack) give or take what end chain procs come up and if my knock down reactives pop.  This is all within about 10 seconds I believe, I can test it when I get home.  I only have to wait 2-3 seconds for skills to start refreshing but if I weave between just two abilities I can usually sustain indefinitely using skills.

Here’s my point: Aion’s combat system is more about you making the right decisions on the spot as opposed to selecting the right combination from a sea of “use anytime” skills.  For me Aion has the best combat mechanics than any other game I have played.  Multi-tiered chain skills + reactive skills + Proc chance skills + Stand alone skills = a whole lot of fun once you get the hang of it.  The only bad thing about Aions combat system is that you have to wait a little while for the full picture to come into focus.

Ah, yes!  I forgot about its emphasis on conditional skills, despite that being one of the things I liked most about it!

I don't know if you've played LotRO long enough to get to them, but it also has many of those types of skills once you get higher level.  Hunters have a retaliation strike after a successful parry, for example.  The Runekeeper and Warden are almost completely built from condition-based skills.

That's why it tends to bug me when people talk about MMO's being about 2-3 buttons and cooldown timers.  Even CoX isn't that simple...

• GoromhirGoromhir Member UncommonPosts: 463

so much hate...

The most of my chars level 10-25 have an 8 sec cooldown for the 1st hit of the chain, the 2nd hit is 16-30 sec

i dont want to wait 30 sec to use a simple chain again is that so hard to understand ?

example Chanter chain

Hallowed Strike 8 sec > Booming Strike I 6sec (faster than 1st ?????) > Booming Smash I 24sec ??

Meteor Strike 8 sec >  Incandescent Blow I 8 sec

Or  Cleric > 8 sec + 16sec  cooldown or 2sec cast time for Smite + 16 sec cooldown chain at level 14, most boring combat speed and feeling possible.

Minimum time to reuse skill is 8 sec up to 30 sec, inbetween you can watch the autoattack........

All classes have these boring long cooldowns. I am a fast paced player and i hate waiting for cooldowns while fighting.

I dont want to wait 30 seconds to use a simple chain attack again especially when grinding MOBs.

A fun chain should be like this

3s > 5s > 8s = Fun

and not

8s > 24s > 30s = boredom 

Let them reduce the damage on the chains but make them faster and the game would feel more modern and not like a game for old persons.

I expected alot more from AION when watching the Teaser, but so far this game feels boreing and like hard work, no wonder the price dropped and the servers are almost empty. The European servers are dead, only a few high levels are left there doing their stuff. The US servers are mostly 40+ as well, i started on 3 US servers to see which one has the most low levels, sadly there were not more than 3-5 players around Ishalden......

i expected the Fanbois and veterans to throw hate on me but that wont bring them new players at all. The combat engine never mind it might be at higher levels needs a revamp for lower levels to make leveling more fun.

NCSoft can send me an Email and i tell them how .......... its really not hard

(no native english)

p.s I also play City of Heroes and compared to that, AION makes me feel like i am playing in a Slidehow never mind how many years older CoH is. NCSoft knows how to make fun games but it seems not the same Developers were working on these two games...... Maybe NCSoft should move some CoH pro´s to the AION project to bring some fresh wind into this game.

Ah, yes!  I forgot about its emphasis on conditional skills, despite that being one of the things I liked most about it!

I don't know if you've played LotRO long enough to get to them, but it also has many of those types of skills once you get higher level.  Hunters have a retaliation strike after a successful parry, for example.  The Runekeeper and Warden are almost completely built from condition-based skills.

That's why it tends to bug me when people talk about MMO's being about 2-3 buttons and cooldown timers.  Even CoX isn't that simple...

I played LotRO a few times, even beta tested it, but it never stuck with me.  It's a good game from what I have played (up until about level 15, yeah I know lol) but one thing really bugged me.  The combat looked like one thing swinging through another so there was a loss of realism there.  I know a game is much deeper than combat/sound effects but I could never get over it.  Everything else about LotRO is awesome from what I've heard and experienced plus I'm a big fan of the frachise.

I hope that reactive/situational skills continue to be put into MMOs.  It's hard to get by without killing tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of mobs so the combat should be intuaive.

to the OP. i just login my lvl 30 Cleric, i also compare it to others games im playing ATM.

Smite 2sec/ 2sec CD --> Thunderbolt 0sec --> Divine Spark 0sec

Slashing Wind 0sec/ 16sec CD--> Divine Touch 0sec

Hallow Strike 0sec / 8sec CD --> Infernal Blaze 0sec

(dot) Earth Wrath 1.5sec

(dot) Holy Servant 0sec

(dot) Chatise 0sec

by the time i done pressing all the buttons the CD are 80% back.  you never have to sit if you pop your CDs and you should be moving when using skills that doesnt have casting time. It increase your DMG by 30%

RiFT warlock = auto attack pet , spam Bolt  to build up recharge, use recharge  to spam life drain. pretty much press 2 button no CD

RIFT Pyromancer PVE = spam fire blaze (aoe) .1 button pve dungeon

WoW Spriest = dot, dot, vampire touch (15.sec) ,mindblast (2sec), mindflay. no CD/ no rotation

Originally posted by getona

to the OP. i just login my lvl 30 Cleric, i also compare it to others games im playing ATM.

Smite 2sec/ 2sec CD --> Thunderbolt 0sec --> Divine Spark 0sec

Slashing Wind 0sec/ 16sec CD--> Divine Touch 0sec

Hallow Strike 0sec / 8sec CD --> Infernal Blaze 0sec

(dot) Earth Wrath 1.5sec

(dot) Holy Servant 0sec

(dot) Chatise 0sec

by the time i done pressing all the buttons the CD are 80% back.  you never have to sit if you pop your CDs and you should be moving when using skills that doesnt have casting time. It increase your DMG by 30%

RiFT warlock = auto attack pet , spam Bolt  to build up recharge, use recharge  to spam life drain. pretty much press 2 button no CD

RIFT Pyromancer PVE = spam fire blaze (aoe) .1 button pve dungeon

WoW Spriest = dot, dot, vampire touch (15.sec) ,mindblast (2sec), mindflay. no CD/ no rotation

wow ! i didnt know AION has a Cooldown Haste now..........   All a Level 17 cleric has is 2 mellee attacks and Smite+Thunderbolt when these are used all you can do is to watch the autoattack until Hallowed is up....... 

Whatever you do, the cooldowns for your 1st attack wont become faster than 8 sec. Smite will always have this stupid one extra second which makes spamming impossible, good bad ? depends... Mages can spam their 1st attack btw

What gives if the classes are all boring to play until they finally have their full chains  at 30,40 or 50 ?

i am bored at Level 10

I am bored still at level 12

I am bored still also at level 15

and i am also bored at level 19 or 20 

If i have to wait and play a boring character until Level 30 to finally enjoy the combat system then this must be a joke.

Do you think every new player wants to wait until level 30 or 40 or even 50 ????? With AIONs slow leveling and even slower cooldowns ? 

Templar,  Assasin and Scout are even worse at low level. I see some low Level gladiators doing well but inspecting them shows me a +10 L14 Spear and awesome armor. So the only ones that can play these crap and slow classes are rich veterans that can afford the +10 on their items. new players cant do that.

No wonder there are almost no low levels on any server if the low level game is just plain dissapointing. Which Veteran would like to go through this boring level grind again until he can use his "Chains" ?

Log into the US servers at 7pm NewYork time and see how many low levels you can find...

AION is boring and slow at low level and thats pissing off many new players in the 1st month. They have to fix that.

l8r

p.s This Holy Servant is a joke, at least at Level 17. It hits 2-3 times then dissapears and its cooldown is to long 30 sec. Why not 15sec ? why 30 ? i dont get it....... 

• spacebotspacebot Member UncommonPosts: 148

You think Aion is slow? Try City of Heros! Conversely theres the fast action like DCO or CO but those get my fingers hurting with all the mouse clicking. Aion has a nice balance of action and not hurting my hands.

Originally posted by spacebot

You think Aion is slow? Try City of Heros! Conversely theres the fast action like DCO or CO but those get my fingers hurting with all the mouse clicking. Aion has a nice balance of action and not hurting my hands.

i have 2 coh accounts and no problem with speed or cooldowns because i use recharge Sets and perma hasten

but yes even CoH is slow when starting a new toon. But thats what groups in CoH are for. In AION i havent found a group yet and i have a 20 SM and a 18 Cleric. 

usually after 1-2 mins in CoH i have a group..... in AION as Low level you can wait for more players the whole day...

AION low level means SOLO play and SOLO play with damn long cooldowns sucks badly

• spacebotspacebot Member UncommonPosts: 148

I've played COH for 30+months. Coh combat is slow. Period Aions starts out faster and only gets faster. Not matter what recharge dohickies you but on your powers COH still is slower at the beginning and at the end. Though at the end you tend to have like 20+ powers to use so it doesnt seem like its slow.

• NeoPlasmaXNeoPlasmaX Member Posts: 79

I thought this was the fastest paced game I ever played.  Course, I was level 55 with scrolls and other good buffs (My Character when I quit about 6 months ago).  Think any faster and it would have been a serious cluster of button rage smashing. 

And when a chanter hit "Wind" it was like even crazier.

The game had a good autoattack.  Most games don't (Rift:PoT was a game that I didn't buy because of the boring slow combat and useless auto attack).  Weaving was almost necessary and even did a lot more dmg than skills alone in about same amount of time.

YouTube search "Weaving Aion" and you'll find a ton of guides. 

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

OP probably felt the compound effect of having to quest grind

Now people below me is gonna reply "AION CHANGED SO MUCH, L2P NUB" well I'm just gonna say, Aion is still very much a grind.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• NaowutNaowut Member UncommonPosts: 663

Aion is fast, if you think otherwise youre clueless. If you want slow combat try Rift. Global cooldown ftw are they thinking.

FYI, I quit Aion shortly after release so not even close to a fanboy.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Originally posted by psyknx

Aion is fast, if you think otherwise youre clueless. If you want slow combat try Rift. Global cooldown ftw are they thinking.

Lol Aion has Global Cooldown as well, maybe you quit so fast you didn't even realise :P

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• NeoPlasmaXNeoPlasmaX Member Posts: 79

Originally posted by xKingdomx

Originally posted by psyknx

Lol Aion has Global Cooldown as well, maybe you quit so fast you didn't even realise :P

They use Animation CDs... (I think there was a very tiny global but was usually shorter than the animations) And they were like all different length CDs and lotta of attacks had instants.  LOT of attacks.  I remember as a slower chanter I had like 4 or 5 moves I could do instantly.   After I got a parry, I could instantly do 3 moves and wreck face.  Plus the game just had way faster movement which was very fun in pvp.    Ever watch any of the Korean PvP tournaments?  That was good stuff.  Many battles I had with other 5 man leet groups in Dredgion were crazy fun.  There was even a time we didn't care about finishing dredgion, we just met in middle and fought each other in 5 v 5 like battles.  The action was definitely fun and fast paced.