Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New character models are here!!

Comments

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Originally posted by dsmart

Originally posted by Arezon

Originally posted by B1mble

Originally posted by skeaser

There are in thew newsletter as well as the QOL dev blog

I looked at that link and the newsletter http://www.alganon.com/newsletters/newsletter_0311.html#1 and don't see any screenies. Am I missing something? I'm really curious what the toons look like now.

You could always download the game and take a look for yourself :D

Honestly, if the DEVs can't be bothered to post some pics of the new models then I can't be bothered to download the game and try it.

...and yet, here you are.

Fact is, the models were discussed in the blog link that I posted. Maybe you missed it. They're like, pictures, of characters. Brightly colored and everything. Mentioned them again, in another blog post from the same link.

They are mentioned in the newsletter, but no images are embedded in it.

Since the newsletter goes out to subscribers, I think that the very mention of something that was frequently requested and more than a year in the making, means that anyone who cared, would simply load the game and update it.

Anyway, the pictures don't do them justice. They have to be seen in-game in order to full appreciate how much of a difference they make, compared to the previous versions that were in the game.

I see them now. When I looked the first time from your last post they didn't seem to be there. Don't know if someone forgot to put them up or if there was a tech glitch; but thanks for responding with the pics.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• dsmartdsmart Member UncommonPosts: 386

I looked at that link and the newsletter http://www.alganon.com/newsletters/newsletter_0311.html#1 and don't see any screenies. Am I missing something? I'm really curious what the toons look like now.

Honestly, if the DEVs can't be bothered to post some pics of the new models then I can't be bothered to download the game and try it.

Fact is, the models were discussed in the blog link that I posted. Maybe you missed it. They're like, pictures, of characters. Brightly colored and everything. Mentioned them again, in another blog post from the same link.

Since the newsletter goes out to subscribers, I think that the very mention of something that was frequently requested and more than a year in the making, means that anyone who cared, would simply load the game and update it.

Anyway, the pictures don't do them justice. They have to be seen in-game in order to full appreciate how much of a difference they make, compared to the previous versions that were in the game.

I see them now. When I looked the first time from your last post they didn't seem to be there. Don't know if someone forgot to put them up or if there was a tech glitch; but thanks for responding with the pics.

They were there the whole time because I linked to them when I created that blog. I think what happened is that you went to the main blog page and didn't click on the blog entry that actually contained them. The link I subsequently posted had the direct link (which I didn't use in my first post about it).

ALL the character models were re-done. That includes NPCs as well.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living.
    If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
    ...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them.

• AlysenMinaseAlysenMinase Member Posts: 361

They were there the whole time because I linked to them when I created that blog. I think what happened is that you went to the main blog page and didn't click on the blog entry that actually contained them. The link I subsequently posted had the direct link (which I didn't use in my first post about it).

Hmm..no comparison pictures for the races at least (besides humans)?

Playing - EVE, Wurm

Retired - Final Fantasy XI, Anarchy Online, Mabinogi

Waiting - ArcheAge, Salem

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Originally posted by pupurun

Seriously...I searched the dev blog and found no links with screenshots.There were links to certain pages of Alganon Forum.Is it too hard to just post a direct link to some screenies?

p.s. I also got the monthly update e-mail and there was NO screenshot of the new models nor any links.

uhm, wait, wot!?!? If you go to the first link in my previous post, half-way down, in the middle of the page are the shots.

Weird that you're not seeing them.

I don't see them either.

I click on that link you mentioned, leading to that blog. I see there the Quest Online blog, with some entries such as "the long road" and "when doubts". So far, no screenshots. I click on "the long road", because as a user, I'm of course interested in the newest news.

There, I see the header, the "Long road ahead" title, some writing, the "character models" title, more text with something linked  (though none of the link sounds as if it does have anything to do with screenshots), more text, an update text, something about server merges, and as a typical user, I stopped searching then, because I wanted screens and didn't find them. And nope, I'm not using a text browser.

Maybe I miss them, I don't nkow. But as said, beeing a typical user, I normally don't spend more than a few seconds, searching somehing I'm slightly less interested in, before giving up.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Actually, I don't think we need comparison pictures.  Instead, we need a new gameplay video detailing most (if not all) of the changes, mostly in the character creation screen.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

Originally posted by maji

Seriously...I searched the dev blog and found no links with screenshots.There were links to certain pages of Alganon Forum.Is it too hard to just post a direct link to some screenies?

p.s. I also got the monthly update e-mail and there was NO screenshot of the new models nor any links.

uhm, wait, wot!?!? If you go to the first link in my previous post, half-way down, in the middle of the page are the shots.

I don't see them either.

I click on that link you mentioned, leading to that blog. I see there the Quest Online blog, with some entries such as "the long road" and "when doubts". So far, no screenshots. I click on "the long road", because as a user, I'm of course interested in the newest news.

There, I see the header, the "Long road ahead" title, some writing, the "character models" title, more text with something linked  (though none of the link sounds as if it does have anything to do with screenshots), more text, an update text, something about server merges, and as a typical user, I stopped searching then, because I wanted screens and didn't find them. And nope, I'm not using a text browser.

Maybe I miss them, I don't nkow. But as said, beeing a typical user, I normally don't spend more than a few seconds, searching somehing I'm slightly less interested in, before giving up.

OK, I think this is getting ridiculous now, don't you think? Let's try this shall we?

1. Go to www.qol.com/blog (the link I originally posted). Here you will see three blog entries.

2. The second blog entry is "When in doubt, do it anyway". Click on it. Half way down the screen are smaller versions of the before/after images and each goes to a larger image when clicked.

Please tell me how anyone could have missed that because it is puzzling to me.

In my first post, I only linked to the main blog. So unless you clicked on each of the three blog entries, you won't know which one contained the images.

In my follow-up post, I linked directly to the specific blog in question. And clicking on that link, shows the images. Unless you're viewing the page on a mobile screen. In which case, you had a lot of scrolling to do before you can even get to see them. On a standard monitor, a single scroll of the page, shows them.

I don't see them either.

OK, I think this is getting ridiculous now, don't you think? Let's try this shall we?

1. Go to www.qol.com/blog (the link I originally posted). Here you will see three blog entries.

2. The second blog entry is "When in doubt, do it anyway". Click on it. Half way down the screen are smaller versions of the before/after images and each goes to a larger image when clicked.

In my first post, I only linked to the main blog. So unless you clicked on each of the three blog entries, you won't know which one contained the images.

In my follow-up post, I linked directly to the specific blog in question. And clicking on that link, shows the images. Unless you're viewing the page on a mobile screen. In which case, you had a lot of scrolling to do before you can even get to see them. On a standard monitor, a single scroll of the page, shows them.

Yes we already know about that, but that only shows the human male character model, and only with one face/hair option.  What the changes to the other face/hair options on human males?  What the changes to the human female, or the male and female Talrok?  I can't seem to find any beforer/after pics regarding them.

Right. For that, you'd have to download and play the game. Those who are already playing the game, don't need to ask.

Fact is, with so many combinations, you can't show one set and not the other. Which is why I picked one and used that in my blog. It wasn't supposed to be a showcase because for that, we would need an entire gallery of shots showing every possible combination. What's the sense in that when you can just update the game and see for yourself?

• KerkeresKerkeres Member Posts: 18

I havent seen a lot of positive responses here, so say what you want about them, but updating all models shows dedication. It seems to me they are trying to improve the game, something that is always a good thing.Good luck for the future!

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Oh THERE they are. How people could have missed that? I can tell you that. First, people click normally on the newest links first (because nothing is as old as news from yesterday). Especially since written below the "long road" entry as part of the description "CHARACTER MODELS" (in caps). Yes, I know it says "CHARACTER MODELS in prevous blog entry", but people looking for screens will click on that entry anyway, since the "CHARACTER MODELS" stands out so much. So they click on the "long road entry", and as confirmation they see again, written as a huge headline "CHARACTER MODELS", so they assume they are at the right part of the website.

And then they search and search and scroll through the entry, and find nothing about screenshots. They scroll up and down, and frown, and think "but... hmm... duh...", and some of them will close the browser tab right then. Others will go back to the main section of the blog, and look around. Since the "when in doubts" headline and description say nothing about character models, many people will give up here as well, and close the tab. The very persistent users will click on "when in doubts" headline anyway. There, they see a lot of text, and on the first page they see nothing in that text about character models either, nor any screen shots or links to them. So many will close the tab there. Some will scroll down to page two. Those with hugeass resolutions and very slim browsers (ie no addons or something) will now see the top of the screenshots, most won't. In the long text, there is now, half way down on the second page, the character models mentioned. Since it's no headline, most people will miss that, as well as the majority of the people who won't see the top of the screenshots. So they will close the tab too. Those who DO read the whole text (which will be a tiny number) or those with the aforementioned screens and display settings will find a shot.

So, in short: for the current generation of users who don't have much time and a short attention span, the screenshots are hidden too well, they won't find them. Heck, I'm a programmer and also do web design at times, and didn't find them quickly enough (for my taste). Not to mention quickly enough regarding the importance of new models. And no matter if for you they are well placed, for most users they ain't, and when they go to a website looking for something, and they don't find it, then that will just leave a sour aftertaste.

I hope that answered your question. :)

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

Oh THERE they are. How people could have missed that? I can tell you that. First, people click normally on the newest links first (because nothing is as old as news from yesterday). Especially since written below the "long road" entry as part of the description "CHARACTER MODELS" (in caps). Yes, I know it says "CHARACTER MODELS in prevous blog entry", but people looking for screens will click on that entry anyway, since the "CHARACTER MODELS" stands out so much. So they click on the "long road entry", and as confirmation they see again, written as a huge headline "CHARACTER MODELS", so they assume they are at the right part of the website.

And then they search and search and scroll through the entry, and find nothing about screenshots. They scroll up and down, and frown, and think "but... hmm... duh...", and some of them will close the browser tab right then. Others will go back to the main section of the blog, and look around. Since the "when in doubts" headline and description say nothing about character models, many people will give up here as well, and close the tab. The very persistent users will click on "when in doubts" headline anyway. There, they see a lot of text, and on the first page they see nothing in that text about character models either, nor any screen shots or links to them. So many will close the tab there. Some will scroll down to page two. Those with hugeass resolutions and very slim browsers (ie no addons or something) will now see the top of the screenshots, most won't. In the long text, there is now, half way down on the second page, the character models mentioned. Since it's no headline, most people will miss that, as well as the majority of the people who won't see the top of the screenshots. So they will close the tab too. Those who DO read the whole text (which will be a tiny number) or those with the aforementioned screens and display settings will find a shot.

So, in short: for the current generation of users who don't have much time and a short attention span, the screenshots are hidden too well, they won't find them. Heck, I'm a programmer and also do web design at times, and didn't find them quickly enough (for my taste). Not to mention quickly enough regarding the importance of new models. And no matter if for you they are well placed, for most users they ain't, and when they go to a website looking for something, and they don't find it, then that will just leave a sour aftertaste.

I hope that answered your question. :)

Yes it did. But I already figured that out, hence the reason that I posted the direct URL in my second post. Yet, there were one or two people still saying they weren't seeing the shots. Which tells me that they didn't bother to click the link in my follow up post. Gamers sure have a short attention span, don't they? And in this day and age, everyone wants someone to hold their hand. :)

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Followed the link.  Read the most recent blog post dated the same day you made this thread with the assumption that screen shots would be there.  Lost interest when started getting into the powerstruggle issue, again. 

Good luck with your new models. 

• JergisJergis Member UncommonPosts: 38

-They don't want hand-holding, Mr. Smart. They want someone that knows how to manage an MMO community talking to them. Like Sanya Weathers. Or Berek Halfhand. The problems with your blog pointed out above are but one of a bunch of hints you should have noticed by now on this issue.

In short, put Padreic back on the phone. You're not doing it right.

Jergis

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Nope. I found the "When in doubt, just do it anyway" post, read it and didn't see pictures that are there now.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

Right. For that, you'd have to download and play the game. Those who are already playing the game, don't need to ask.

Fact is, with so many combinations, you can't show one set and not the other. Which is why I picked one and used that in my blog. It wasn't supposed to be a showcase because for that, we would need an entire gallery of shots showing every possible combination. What's the sense in that when you can just update the game and see for yourself?

Yes, but you can certainly try.

You see, I am a person who tries before he buys.  I need a demo, a trial, or at least in game screenshots or videos before I buy a game.  This is how I buy games, be they for the PC, Wii, or 360.  I am going to need more than just one screenshot of new models before I say to myself, "I want to play this game."  I am going to need at least 10 screenshots and at least 3 gameplay videos.  Any less, and it would seem like you are trying to hide something.

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Let's cut out the personal arguements and baiting. Links have been provided to said screenshots. Please get back on the topic of the thread and refrain from engaging and topic hijacking into personal arguements.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by MadDemon64

Yes, but you can certainly try.

You see, I am a person who tries before he buys.  I need a demo, a trial, or at least in game screenshots or videos before I buy a game.  This is how I buy games, be they for the PC, Wii, or 360.  I am going to need more than just one screenshot of new models before I say to myself, "I want to play this game."  I am going to need at least 10 screenshots and at least 3 gameplay videos.  Any less, and it would seem like you are trying to hide something.

I could be wrong of course, but wasn't Alganon F2P?

So that'd mean there's no buying needed, instead you can download the game to see, which is usually better than just a demo or trial.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

The single screenshot comparison does not highlight much of an improvement to me, but it is also hard to tell as the exact same character/facial options/armor were not used in a side-by-side comparison. I will echo the statement of others that I feel is extremely relevant here: if you are going to announce a graphical improvement, you should provide numerous examples demonstrating the before and after. The fact that neither the original post or newsletter had screenshots does not build positive hype for this.

We are in the digital age; give it to me quick and easy or not at all.  

-You are correct MMO.Maverick, Alganon is indeed f2p at this time, within a broad definition of that term. Thus, you may download and inspect the character models without payment as you wish.

Jergis

• WhiteSwanWhiteSwan Member Posts: 14

Do you have any screen shot of the new character?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • B1mbleB1mble Member CommonPosts: 148

Originally posted by DanMcC

Do people really play this?

Yes.

Strangely enough it is actually quite good as well.  I found my time with it to be more fun than quite a few others that I attempted.  The new models are a great improvement and hopefully more stuff will follow.

Its only downfall is the smear campaign launched by a majority of people who never actually played the current version thus rendering it with a nonexistant pop.  Sheep will listen to sh*t rather than find out for themselves after all :S.

""Its only downfall is the smear campaign launched by a majority of people who never actually played the current version thus rendering it with a nonexistant pop.  Sheep will listen to sh*t rather than find out for themselves after all""

And what of those of us that have played the game since 2009, and keep logging in to see the improvements and if it is worth our time? And what if we find it isn't enough to bring us back? Do you react this way to folks that do give it an honest try? This is the response i would expect from Mr. Smart, not from a player that should know better.

The main point of this particular thread is not to rehash the style of forum moderation, the obvious lack of population in-game, or response to criticism that has become common for Alganon and their mouthpiece. The main point is to address the character models, and the self-fulfilling stylings that initially provided the community no/limited screenshots from which to compare the changes. They were not provided, everyone has had their say, and if you, or anyone else from either side of this, cannot discuss it or take the criticism like an adult, the thread will likely be locked.

I hope you treat new players with criticisms better than this in the Alganon forums, without the incorrect generalizations, if you post there.

Jergis

• B1mbleB1mble Member CommonPosts: 148

Originally posted by Jergis

""Its only downfall is the smear campaign launched by a majority of people who never actually played the current version thus rendering it with a nonexistant pop.  Sheep will listen to sh*t rather than find out for themselves after all""

And what of those of us that have played the game since 2009, and keep logging in to see the improvements and if it is worth our time? And what if we find it isn't enough to bring us back? Do you react this way to folks that do give it an honest try? This is the response i would expect from Mr. Smart, not from a player that should know better.

The main point of this particular thread is not to rehash the style of forum moderation, the obvious lack of population in-game, or response to criticism that has become common for Alganon and their mouthpiece. The main point is to address the character models, and the self-fulfilling stylings that initially provided the community no/limited screenshots from which to compare the changes. They were not provided, everyone has had their say, and if you, or anyone else from either side of this, cannot discuss it or take the criticism like an adult, the thread will likely be locked.

I hope you treat new players with criticisms better than this in the Alganon forums, if you post there.

Jergis

Arrgh! My lord pray forgive me for such poor use of the English language.  I had attempted to point out that some people who comment have never actually played the game and only post to denigrate or start a flame war.  Net result, thread derailed; anything constructive concerning said entertainment lost; moderators putting large feet down. 

A certain poster should realise that he is not benefitting his product by commenting as it only serves to attract those who like to indulge in verbal fisticuffs. Please forgive me master for such an infraction.  I will take myself away and have my gussets bludgeoned with a gusset bludgeoning cudgel before the setting of the sun.

But before I go my lord I must express concern about these losses of patience which seem ever on the increases these days and vex you so.  Such shortness cannot benefit socially to say the least.

I must confess that I have conversed today with Ramone, your personal interior designer about such stresses on my spirit with regards to your welfare.  I met him in your conservatory, reclining on a red inflatable sofa in his usual lime green mankini and sucking on a banana.  Why he has to eat them that way is beyond me and I find it a little disturbing.  Can’t say why though.  The platted chest hair is not to my taste either.

Anyway I digress.

I expressed my concerns to him about these changes to your once cheerful and ebullient personality and sited that story you regaled me with one drunken night.  It was the time that you were abducted by an alien who probed you in a variety of horrendous ways before leaving you battered and bruised on the doorstep.

My concern also went so far as to bring up the incident in the Snappy Snaps on the high street and that time with the web cam.

With his fine, smooth Italian accent Ramone (which makes me feel strange in a moist way), informed me that my worries though valid they were off track somewhat.

Apparently, and this is news to me, you weren’t abducted by an alien, it was Allen from Snugfit Screws & Nuts Ltd.

The incident that I attributed to a mental breakdown, the one where you stood in the middle of Snappy Snaps wearing a gimp mask, a Hello Kitty t-shirt, with a Daffodil sticking out your @rse, singing Danny Boy in the style of the Chipmunks, was apparently down to a cough syrup bender because you lost at patience.

As for the web cam incident, the less said about the industrial sized tub of Swarfega and a Corgi called Roy the better.

My heart is broken that you have suffered so.

Ramone informs me that the reason for such a change is because you have a small penis.  I interrupted him at this juncture to point out that your manly, masculine proportions meant that the only way to see your Johnson would be with a cunning array of mirrors and that it was unlikely that you personally had seen it in the last decade let alone touched it as human arms can’t grow that long.  I must confess that I have always aspired to emulate your manliness and one day I too will reach the magic ton.  I should of asked him how he knew.

Anyway, Ramone delighted me and raised my spirits by saying that he hopes to involve you in American football and that he and his associates hope you will be accommodating and become a wide receiver that they can all enjoy.   I never knew you were interested in sports.

As to your small parts I did put forward that maybe a companion of a scale to fit would be suitable.  Maybe someone from The Lord of the Rings.  Unfortunately neither of us had a clue as to how we could contact Smeagol.

Anyway as a final note please be aware that I would never do anything to deliberately vex you and I will henceforth refrain from posting anything remotely controversial.  I shall stick to fluffy subjects from now on.

Before I sign off on this email to you, I will come to see you in the cellar in about an hour to empty your potty and sterilize/moisturize your bedsores.  I will also check out that urine burn you are getting in your nethers.  The doctor says to sponge you down more frequently and to use a stronger alkali.  I’ll make sure to bring some bleach.

Do you want your usual 10 buckets of chicken parts and 16 gallons of coke.

Your devoted servant

W. Smithers

P.S.  Ramone says he will be around later to do some stretching exercises.  Remind me to ask him if he has any idea as to what has been gnawing at your bed linen and pillows.

(apologies.  written by me elsewhere and adapted for here.  To knackered to write something new at the mo.  Maybe next time. (if I dont get banned XD ))

Originally posted by DanMcC

Do people really play this?

Yes.

Strangely enough it is actually quite good as well.  I found my time with it to be more fun than quite a few others that I attempted.  The new models are a great improvement and hopefully more stuff will follow.

Its only downfall is the smear campaign launched by a majority of people who never actually played the current version thus rendering it with a nonexistant pop.  Sheep will listen to sh*t rather than find out for themselves after all :S.

I think anyone who takes a look at the game's dev roadmap since I took over in Feb 2010, can quite clearly see that a detailed and scheduled plan was executed without fail. I wrote an entire blog about it actually.

That plan started with the  Patch 1.1.15.2203   (03/2010) and up to the latest Patch 2.6.0 (04/2011).

It has been an extraordinary amount of work which was further exacerbated by the fact that the game wasn't actually finished when it was first released in last 2009. So we spent a year finishing, fixing, tweaking - and implementing much needed features in order to make the game whole and competitive.

It is quite difficult for any game to come back from such a bad initial start; which puts us squarely behind the curve ball. I've thus far spent over $250K marketing the game just these past few months alone. Some of you may have seen all the online ads, print magazine ads (e.g. PC Gamer, Beckett's etc) - they aren't cheap at all.

Despite our troubles, trials and tribulations, the game's population is still rapidly growing and so my goal is to continue growing Alganon as best I can.

Sure we don't have thousands of players online at one time, but it is not the kind of game that even needs a large pop for anyone to enjoy it, since PvP is not the focus - just another feature. Games that have a very large player pop are always guaranteed to have hundreds of players available for grouping, guilds, PvP etc. We're not there yet, but we're on our way there along with plans for localized servers (the 2.6.0 build completes our extensive localization code changes!) etc

To this end, we've added a TON of new stuff and there is a LOT more to come that I'm not talking about just yet. More news coming soon! ;)