Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Agency Cancelled? SOE GTFO

NinevenNineven Member UncommonPosts: 86

Can SOE fail any more?

I mean seriously, how many MMO's have they cancelled/destroyed already? They need to just stop being involved in video games and go back to making CD players LOL.

Just a rant/discussion about how SOE fails; no trolling intended; I just feel like someone should tell them to stop trying so hard.

Take a free lesson from Trion: You CAN balance 32 classes, next time don't take the easy way out and put in some effort.

Comments

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

Well I'm sure you will get some argument over the Trion balancing 32 classes part of your post. On the rest of the post though I only have 2 questions to ask you...

1, Did you really think that if the Agency did come out that it would even be worth playing?

2, Does the incompetence level of SOE really suprise you?

• bobbyjrbobbyjr Member Posts: 119

Originally posted by Nineven

Can SOE fail any more?

I mean seriously, how many MMO's have they cancelled/destroyed already? They need to just stop being involved in video games and go back to making CD players LOL.

Just a rant/discussion about how SOE fails; no trolling intended; I just feel like someone should tell them to stop trying so hard.

Take a free lesson from Trion: You CAN balance 32 classes, next time don't take the easy way out and put in some effort.

We've yet to see them balance 32 class's, especially since in that game, some are heavily overpowered than others.

Besides, SWG changed 6 years ago. GET OVER IT.

• romerokromerok Member Posts: 104

I didnt knew any person either online or Irl, who was hyped for 'The Agency' anyway

SOE should gogo and focus on other things than new mmos though, how about giving what they promised for DCUO?

"You resist. You cling to your life as if it actually matters. You will learn."

• lightningjaclightningjac Member Posts: 92

they should just drop the SOE division and move all the employees to SCE division.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by bobbyjr

Right, because aside from the one mistake SOE 6 years ago, SOE has been a company filled with success stories.   If people could get over that one isolated mistake, they would see that SOE has an untarnished reputation for quality games and customer satisfaction.

EDIT: Yes, using sarcasm to make a point. 

• bumfmanbumfman Member Posts: 276

Originally posted by Daffid011

Originally posted by bobbyjr

Right, because aside from the one mistake SOE 6 years ago, SOE has been a company filled with success stories.   If people could get over that one isolated mistake, they would see that SOE has an untarnished reputation for quality games and customer satisfaction. 

Ummm, was that sarchasm Daffid? It's very hard to tell since I can't hear the tone of your voice hehe.

Work hard Play Harder

• NinevenNineven Member UncommonPosts: 86

I wasn't mentioning SWG because I'm not over it; I was mentioning it because Sony doesn't innovate...in anything they do. That's why their games continue to be total crap.

The only thing they have going for them is Everquest.

And no, I didn't think The Agency was going to be any better than a pile of shit. Complete waste of money, you can take the entire game concept of The Agency and simply implement it as a game system into an already published game. If you're going to make a modern setting type of game, give it a little substance man.

You would think by this time, someone would've pulled SOE out of the MMO market because their projects keep failing. But why would anyone there be smart enough to do that? Lol...

• NelothNeloth Member Posts: 249

[...]

rofl yeah we'll see how that turns out after more than a month or two has passed.

We'll see.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Sony doesn't innovate...in anything they do. That's why their games continue to be total crap.

I know SOE has issues but they have occasional sparks

example:  the appearance slot in EQ2 -- I believe they were the 1st mmo to do this

to show gear for how you want to look  and still wear the gear you need for adventuring

Turbine liked this new feature enough to add it to LOTRO later

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

SOE has been lumped into the Cryptic group with the failure of DCUO.  Sorry.  I won't be purchasing ANY game from them anymore.  Plus they shut down my Pirates TCG.  Oh wells.

Edit:  1 innovation, does not a company make.  

• ArEfArEf Member Posts: 233

Man, they didn't cancel it, they rechanelled stuff to their other important franchises.

The teams have been moved to work on EverQuest 3D, Everquest in Space, Robot Unicorn EverQuest , My Little Pony's First EverQuest, The EverQuest Cooking Show and other popular and overly hyped soon to be released games.

How can you blame them for focusing on one really dull and clichéd setting? I mean, it's not like they've got a spiritual successor to EverQuest already sitting on their Station Pass.

Add me on Steam!

RawrfulCast - My YouTube Channel
    Me and a Friend are Bad At Games :(
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

SOE has a long track record of being worthless...

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

The market is ripe for an everquest sandbox..

Lets do it sony..

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Wasn't there some facebook game SOE released a couple years ago to coincide with "The Agency"?

Found it: http://massively.joystiq.com/2010/05/04/soe-unveils-the-agency-facebook-game-announces-the-agency-will/

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Originally posted by Nadia

Sony doesn't innovate...in anything they do. That's why their games continue to be total crap.

I know SOE has issues but they have occasional sparks

example:  the appearance slot in EQ2 -- I believe they were the 1st mmo to do this

to show gear for how you want to look  and still wear the gear you need for adventuring

Turbine liked this new feature enough to add it to LOTRO later

Yup, the appearence slot was a good idea. Sony is going to focus on EQ3 it appears. I hope that they make EQ3 a good game, but we shall see. 

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Originally posted by ReallyNow10

Can SOE fail any more?

The lesson from Trion is that WOW is old and the market is ripe for any AAA title to come in and get players, lots of players.

The second lesson from Trion, that I predict we will learn in the coming months, is that a lackluster linear quest grind ain't going to keep folks.

Hopefully, Sony is watching the market and will come out with an open world EQ3 (EQ Next) and keep the quests in check.

Lots of games have already proven the first and second lesson.

You are expecting way to much out of SOE. We should all know by now they have no clue what gamers want. And if they happen to stumble upon it by accident they will fubar it.

• NinevenNineven Member UncommonPosts: 86

Originally posted by ArEf

Man, they didn't cancel it, they rechanelled stuff to their other important franchises.

The teams have been moved to work on EverQuest 3D, Everquest in Space, Robot Unicorn EverQuest , My Little Pony's First EverQuest, The EverQuest Cooking Show and other popular and overly hyped soon to be released games.

How can you blame them for focusing on one really dull and clichéd setting? I mean, it's not like they've got a spiritual successor to EverQuest already sitting on their Station Pass.

LOL! That was amusing ahaha!

The only thing I like from SOE right now is the SWG trading card game. It's actually really fun, but unless you spend money, you don't get the cards. I got so quickly addicted, I dropped about $400 on cards the first week I played it LOL.

SOE is like that guy who has a bunch of money and buys things for everyone around him; but they don't ever want to hang out with him.

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

I honestly don't know what Sony is thinking.  Somehow they manage to hang in there, but they are horrible at making and managing MMO's.

How many times in the last 10 years have you heard this: "Oh man, I can't wait to play this new MMO coming out...oh, wait...SOE just took over publishing rights.  I wouldn't touch this game with YOUR hard drive...."

• rainwolfrainwolf Member Posts: 46

Originally posted by daelnor

I honestly don't know what Sony is thinking.  Somehow they manage to hang in there, but they are horrible at making and managing MMO's.

How many times in the last 10 years have you heard this: "Oh man, I can't wait to play this new MMO coming out...oh, wait...SOE just took over publishing rights.  I wouldn't touch this game with YOUR hard drive...."

Vanguard, and I think that is the only one... and they aren't really what ruined it.

• miceinblackmiceinblack Member Posts: 122

I'd just stick with companies that actually care about the player base such as CCP, Arenanet, and to a lesser extent Blizzard.

SOE has shown that they care only about dollars and will sacrifice a whole community of players if it means making a buck. They will also sacrifice gameplay that works for some crazy idea if they think it will make money. It is only a few people that make SOE fail so bad and I think SOE should totally dismantle itself and then start over under another name with none of the developers/executives involved in the notable Fails of the past. If they do that then they might have a chance of putting out a decent game. However, until they get a heart I doubt that will be possible.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by rainwolf

Vanguard, and I think that is the only one... and they aren't really what ruined it.

Don't forget Pirates of the Burning Sea and Gods & Heroes. 

True SOE didn't directly ruin those, but they didn't exactly help either.  The minute all of those games announced their partnership with SOE they had to into damage control in response to how many people complained and walked away.

You have to admit that almost everything with the SOE stamp on it has serious problems. 

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

Originally posted by Daffid011

Originally posted by rainwolf

Don't forget Pirates of the Burning Sea and Gods & Heroes. 

True SOE didn't directly ruin those, but they didn't exactly help either.  The minute all of those games announced their partnership with SOE they had to into damage control in response to how many people complained and walked away.

You have to admit that almost everything with the SOE stamp on it has serious problems. 

I agree with every sentiment expressed here. SOE is the Devil ! Basically what it boils down too. At least to me. Although I think Crypic has surpassed it now in my books. I didn't think it was possible.

The issue with Vanguard is yes , SOE saved it only to ignore it to death to save EQ 2. SOE stamp makes me hesitant to even consider the game. It's not that they put out terrible or worse games then anyone else . It's how they treat people and are condescending on the boards and in game design . They know better and just don't bother with what the player base states or completely ingore it. It's that unresponsiveness to issues that irks most in my opinion. That attitude of , pttffftt it's only person quitting.

As far as The Agency goes , since I pretty well boycott most if not all SOE games, not much of a loss. Although I'm slighty surprised they even make PC games given the investment in PS 3. As a corporation you would think they would concentrate on getting games on PS 3 to maximize sales and usage. I'm also surprised that they haven't move the whole MMO division over onto consoles.

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

As far as Everquest being the only thing they have going for them is not very true.

Maybe everquest as a whole (That being 19 expansions or whatever), but there new Time Locked Progression servers are a mess and are wrought with Platnum duplicating and them "accidently/purposely" implamenting the noob armor, which is 75% broken quest wise.

They have been lieing and dodging questions so far.

But sadly I will still buy their games because they have some good titles I am looking forward to complaining about.

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Can SOE fail any more?

The lesson from Trion is that WOW is old and the market is ripe for any AAA title to come in and get players, lots of players.

The second lesson from Trion, that I predict we will learn in the coming months, is that a lackluster linear quest grind ain't going to keep folks.

Hopefully, Sony is watching the market and will come out with an open world EQ3 (EQ Next) and keep the quests in check.

Got to agree,whatever SoE does DO NOT take advise from trion as regards class balance,it has some of the worst class balance around.

pyro mages 1-2 shotting people and cannot be CC or stunned.clerics take can out heal 3 warriors or rogues bashing at them.

pve raids that are done with only mages and clerics as rogues and warriors are totally un needed in the raid and taken for the fun of it or commitment to fellow guildies.

Lets look at a SoE game ,EQ2 .Try taking mages and healers only and see if its possible.Not doable you got to have your bards,your dps will be rubbish on some bosses if you don't have scout classes,you need proper tank classes in there,heck you even need 1 monk for the buff .

Rift.Justicar(clerics) are better tanks then any soul in warrior.bards have been nerfed to been pointless in raids.You get better dps from mages in any present rift raids then rogues or dps warriors .chron and clerics got heals covered.

Rift lacks situational battles like EQ2 which would see a ranger shine over a wizard and assasin and then another that would see a warlock  shine over another etc.

So if we are talking balancing numerous classes i think SoE has it done better then rift atm.

• Xero_ChanceXero_Chance Member Posts: 519

Originally posted by hercules

Can SOE fail any more?

Got to agree,whatever SoE does DO NOT take advise from trion as regards class balance,it has some of the worst class balance around.
    pyro mages 1-2 shotting people and cannot be CC or stunned.clerics take can out heal 3 warriors or rogues bashing at them.
    pve raids that are done with only mages and clerics as rogues and warriors are totally un needed in the raid and taken for the fun of it or commitment to fellow guildies.
    Lets look at a SoE game ,EQ2 .Try taking mages and healers only and see if its possible.Not doable you got to have your bards,your dps will be rubbish on some bosses if you don't have scout classes,you need proper tank classes in there,heck you even need 1 monk for the buff .
    Rift.Justicar(clerics) are better tanks then any soul in warrior.bards have been nerfed to been pointless in raids.You get better dps from mages in any present rift raids then rogues or dps warriors .chron and clerics got heals covered.
    Rift lacks situational battles like EQ2 which would see a ranger shine over a wizard and assasin and then another that would see a warlock  shine over another etc.
    So if we are talking balancing numerous classes i think SoE has it done better then rift atm.

But when it comes to making irresponsible business decisions and ignoring the hell out of their consumers, $OE takes the cake.
This discussion has been closed.