Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Upgrading PC

DarkmastershDarkmastersh Member Posts: 205

Hi, id like to play EQ2 but my pc sux. I thought you could help me building a new rig. I don´t have enough money, so don´t recommend buying an AMD 64 FX-55 and a GeForce 6800 SLI.

BTW, I´ve heard you can´t solo in this game, is it true?

Comments

• NihilanthNihilanth Member Posts: 1,357

depends on your budget...i built my computer last summer for under $1300 so it might only be like $800 or less now. I can run the game pretty well at a little above balanced (without shadows on) and my stats are:

Intel Pentium 4 3.2Ghz Prescott (Socket 478)
    Intel D865PERLK Motherboard
    1GB Crucial PC3200 RAM (2x 512MB)
    128MB ATI Radeon 9600XT
    120GB Western Digital 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive
    80GB Maxtor 7200rpm IDE Hard Drive
    Lite-On 16x DVD-RW Dual Layer Drive
    Lite-On 52x32x52x CD-RW Drive

on soloing, no that's not true. the game isnt nearly as solo friendly as WoW, but it's not meant to be. the emphasis IS more on group play but there still is a lot of solo content, and they are constantly adding more.

Hope that helps! ::::28::

Schutzbar - Human Warrior - Windrunner Alliance - World of Warcraft
    Nihilanth - Kerra Paladin - Blackburrow - EverQuest II
    XBL Gamertag - Eagle15GT

• NoubourneNoubourne Member Posts: 349

Originally posted by Darkmastersh
    Hi, id like to play EQ2 but my pc sux. I thought you could help me building a new rig. I don´t have enough money, so don´t recommend buying an AMD 64 FX-55 and a GeForce 6800 SLI.BTW, I´ve heard you can´t solo in this game, is it true?

$149 Socket 939 Winchester Athlon 64 3000+

$87 MSI K8N Neo4 Nforce 4 Motherboard PCI Express

$80 You probably need a good PSU for this CoolerMaster 450W dual 12v

$77 Corsair Value Select Dual Channel 2x512M = 1 Gig of RAM

$205 Leadtek 6600GT @ 550/1120 PCI Express

So that's like $600 plus S&H, all from Newegg. Adjust CPU and Vid Card up or down based on your budget. Good luck.

** Edit ** I assumed you'd take your optical and hard drives from your old computer, so I didn't price them out. If you already have DDR400, you can take that too. If you already have a 400W+ PSU that doesn't suck, you can take that too.

Habit is not to be flung out the window by any man, but coaxed down the stairs one step at a time. - Mark Twain

Oh yeah and I've essentially soloed all the way to 38 on my necro. You can solo.

Sometimes grouping is faster XP. There are choices though.

Habit is not to be flung out the window by any man, but coaxed down the stairs one step at a time. - Mark Twain

• Takata5Takata5 Member Posts: 336
    EQ2 is more fun if you group. Again personally I hate soloing when I play mmo's. Back in EQ1 you could also solo if you were a certain class. Druids, Necros and beastlords were just some of the classes that could solo in EQ1. But experience took longer, and again it was boring, at least for me. Some people like to solo though, shrug.
  • DarkmastershDarkmastersh Member Posts: 205

Whats the difference with AMD Athlon XP and AMD Sempron?

Whats the difference with AMD Athlon XP and AMD Sempron?

Not much. Don't buy either. If you need a budget CPU, get the cheapest Athlon 64 2800+ you can find.

That means you may be needing a Socket 754 motherboard to go with it, which might also be slightly cheaper than the 939 board with PCI-Express I listed above. So you might get an AGP board, and then you could probably keep using your same video card. It won't leave you too much room for upgrades though. They aren't making Socket 754s anymore except Semprons. All the dual core chips in the first couple revisions will be 939 chips that plug into any of today's 939 boards. Both the dual-core upgrade and PCI-Express upgrade will make what I listed above a nice investment. You can buy a dual core chip or a better videocard next year if you want to give it a boost.

• KraptorKraptor Member Posts: 359

Originally posted by Noubourne

Hi, id like to play EQ2 but my pc sux. I thought you could help me building a new rig. I don´t have enough money, so don´t recommend buying an AMD 64 FX-55 and a GeForce 6800 SLI.

BTW, I´ve heard you can´t solo in this game, is it true?

$149 Socket 939 Winchester Athlon 64 3000+

$87 MSI K8N Neo4 Nforce 4 Motherboard PCI Express

$80 You probably need a good PSU for this CoolerMaster 450W dual 12v

$77 Corsair Value Select Dual Channel 2x512M = 1 Gig of RAM

$205 Leadtek 6600GT @ 550/1120 PCI Express

So that's like $600 plus S&H, all from Newegg. Adjust CPU and Vid Card up or down based on your budget. Good luck.

** Edit ** I assumed you'd take your optical and hard drives from your old computer, so I didn't price them out. If you already have DDR400, you can take that too. If you already have a 400W+ PSU that doesn't suck, you can take that too.

That is a very nice "budget" set-up. Ill recommend those except I would go for a Ati x800XL card, which costs a bit more but performs better.
  • The_Hobbit'The_Hobbit' Member Posts: 5

I suppose this game wont work for my PC, heh. I've had no problems with it at all though..

80 GB Hard Drive
    2.2 Ghz Intel P4 Processor
    768 Mb Kingston PC2600 SDRAM

Not sure about my graphics card.. it wouldnt show on any system scanner I did.. BAH

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Originally posted by The_Hobbit'

I suppose this game wont work for my PC, heh. I've had no problems with it at all though..
    80 GB Hard Drive
    2.2 Ghz Intel P4 Processor
    768 Mb Kingston PC2600 SDRAM
    Not sure about my graphics card.. it wouldnt show on any system scanner I did.. BAH

click start then run then type dxdiag and you can see your card.