Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is the F2P side of the game

SnailtrailSnailtrail Member Posts: 258

What killed AO for me the first run though was hecks in SL and the AI expansion gear.  Hecks ruined the origional content, as people just afked and leveled up the whole game, and AI wasnt very fun to run, had issues with loot ninjaing/fighting over loot and overall made the origional game a pointless oddity.

My question is, how is the F2P part of the game, i understand its just the origional content.  Is it worth going back and reliving?

Or is there a lot of Free player/expansion player interaction, resulting in domination, or is the origional content dead still....

Any feedback if rejoining as a free player is even worth it? Is the F2P community soild, where there will be things to do ect?

Comments

• EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367

I think one might get frustrated with missing all the extras with paid content, atleast if once gotten used to... Game isn't doing very vividly now, most people seem to be holding back and waiting engine... Not too much new content on froobs anyway...

• SnailtrailSnailtrail Member Posts: 258

hmm mabey i worded it wrong

i didnt like what all the expansion (now paid content) brought to the table

my question was, is the froob side of the game active?

Id like to go back, start fresh, and re-live the game as i once loved it, before SL/AI.

Is the origional content still heavily played by the free players?

Or is it desolate, with everyone in SL grinding hecks and running AI instances...

Is there any real point to going back and trying to avoid all the sucky expansion?  Or is the froob side dead too?

I wouldnt be returning to whoop ass, just to spend some time, while i wait for some modern game to bring something to the table.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Last time i checked froob side is still active and are actively recruited at times too with plenty of mixed guilds. 

Good to hear about it being active.

So far on the noob island, its been just how i rememberd.

Mabey i picked a lively time to start but, the area is buzzing with activity.

I had to wait in line to kill bosses, everyone was courteous, friendly, and helpful.

I mean its not jam packed,but i really thought id be the only one there, good to see.

Took me about 15 min to get situated with the UI and controls, and i attacked myself to death already as a nano mage, all very familiar.  Reminds me of how hard this game was the first round long ago.  They dont make games like this anymore.

Man i love the music in this game and the atmosphere.

• SerpentarSerpentar Member Posts: 246

I believe on the RubiKa 2, Clan Side there is a rather large guild that is still active and mainly froob players.  I dunno if its pure nostaglia or actual good gameplay, but AO remains one of the top in my mind. In some aspects with Notum Wars and the instanced mission system they had were a bit ahead of their time. And the fact that all the factions could talk/trade/team with each other..then go pvp each other afterwards in the 50-25% zones. The addition of team missions and the dyna camps were fun as well.

I still remeber running around dual wielding rider excutioners on my Adv in Lush Fields. Multiple groups crying out as a Life Bleeder spawned. Its just ..with the way the economy is and tips taking a good chunk of a new players funds. Dont have the time or will to grind it out. But every so often I'll log in just to hear that start up music as one pops onto RubiKa..

im on the same server, omni side.  Omni brings back too many good memories to go with what i know is a more populated clan side and a better neuteral side, able to enjoy both factions...

There are still omni players, whos only goal seems to be seeking out new players and "helping" them out. Usually by giving you a boat load of cred, making you imps and armor, then helping you get them all on.

I love this games seemingly flat leveling curve as well.  Few medium difficulty missions, on full cred not XP gets me a level, just like it did at level 10, at level 30.

My first trip to TOTW in years, i expected it to be dead, and it seemed that way...use to be a huge crowd hangoing outside of the temple, there was none...however once i got into that first big room, i saw about 4-5 groups running around...so its much more active than i had thought.

I do miss that hustle and bustle feeling of anarchy in its prime, however the game is far from dead.  Theres just so much damn space in this game, so many cities and areas, you gotta know where to look.  Borealis seemed almost as busy as i remember, and im sure, just like the old days, only a few requests for help will result in all the help you need, and then some.

Took me 3min to find a feline grace buff near me, and i had more than one person requesting my location in tells to come give me the buff. 

So the helpful community still lives in AO, seemingly more helpfull than before when there was a ton of beggars roaming around.

• punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777

this post made me want to play again but i forgot my old accont and ts been so long i forgot most of the stuff lol. i am going to start fresh

• gamespamgamespam Member Posts: 456

This game is worth playing.

Originally posted by punkrock

this post made me want to play again but i forgot my old accont and ts been so long i forgot most of the stuff lol. i am going to start fresh

Hey man, i did the same thing.

Started fresh, just to relive some of the origional content.  But im now 40, and am not getting bored with it.  Eventhough its so dated looking, and the community is a shadow of what it once was (though far from dead) im finding myself missing the complex nature of the game, the mission system, the stat locked gear, it all works so well even today.

I mean the crafting, implants, buff system, nano crystals, the way the vendor shops work, it all has never been done like AO does it.

The music...fits the game so well, sets the mood perfectly, its unique, not just the usual "lets be like EQ classical music"  makes the world have a feel to it you just cant describe...

Behold the fun of using your brain, and not having your intelligence insulted at every turn, and combat mechanics that really vary between classes. 

I mean what other game offers a suit wearing burocrat as a class, one that makes coffee for buffs and weilds a suitcase.....

Comming from the rift beta, this type of uniqueness stopped at AO, and its great to play a unique and complex game again, after all these years of mindless linear quest chain, preplanned and automatic character building...

its  fun to actually play a game with a soul again.

• sheezysheezy Member Posts: 1

Damn  your thread. Makes me want to restart my account....image

the way you guys described the atmosphere and music....I really haven't played anything since that I loved so much.

• ArnuphisArnuphis Member Posts: 103

Yep, I get nostalgic and think about resubbing sometimes. The original content and cities were great. Then I remember the s**t pie that was Shadowlands and how it ruined everything and I stop myself.

Funcom... Classic server... Now, please. 

Look how popular the recently launched EQ1 classic server was. Do a non-SL AO server where everyone starts in the backyards like the old days. No transfers allowed. Watch the money for further AO development come in.

• quasar941quasar941 Member Posts: 159

Originally posted by Arnuphis
    Watch the money for further AO development come in.

The only problem with this is that FC is interested only in maintaining AO (so long as it's still making money), not in developing it any further.

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

The fr00b game is awesome and Funcom has improved the free experience by allowing fr00bs i.e. Composite Expertise Nanos, also more weapons and upgrades, some have their roots in the Shadowlands and can be used by fr00bs by some tradeskill.

Some really epic armor sets found their way too, the last years, available for fr00bs as well as the very new mission agency's.

There are countless improvements done year by year and fr00bs benefit mutch of it.

Out of all the fr00b lube, fr00bs make this game become alife.

Its true, the complete original game and content is free and even with full subscribtion i still have mutch fun, playing fr00bs.

The starter experience is also a ongoing discussion within the community (ao community includes the developers) and they changed this and that over the years, trying to make it easier for new players, to understand all this and learn this incredible deep and complex game and story.

The Subway, Temple of Three Winds, Foremans, Crypt of Home, Inner Sanctum, Mantis Hive, ... many many more epic adventures are there.

The accountsystem allows you to make micropayments, to get i.e. one of these cool Phasefront vehicles, without the need for a monthly pay.

You can merge your fr00b account under your main account and have all Points available on all merged accounts as well as all VeteranPoints.

AO is umm...it. Its the real deal.

Too mutch to explain, its a virtual existence in a far future and its a long term game.

Finally you are free.

• MentatMentat Member UncommonPosts: 516

i recently downloaded the game again, I've tried it a couple times before in the past. I saw the site with a buddy of mine, there's an awesome looking robot on there. It gave me false hopes. When I logged into the game and it was the same old old old old old graphics and content, I was shocked. How do they expect new players to enjoy this ancient, bad graphics, slow paced, ulgy world?

I was looking for a free to play mmo - this is not the one that's for sure.

• AmaneaMisaAmaneaMisa Member Posts: 9

So is Anarchy Online a truly great game? Yes. It's the best-looking online role-playing game out there, and it offers a truly enjoyable and varied play experience that in many ways is far more sophisticated than other online RPGs and much easier to fit into your schedule. But is it also still really buggy and unstable? Yes, unfortunately, it's that as well. Buy the game now, and you'll most likely encounter lag and frame rate problems, and you may not even be able to register properly. But given the game's significant progress after release, its already extremely enjoyable content, and its upcoming four-year story, Anarchy Online will clearly only get better and better in the coming weeks; and if it can conquer its technical problems, Anarchy Online will be the very best online role-playing game around.

• GrebdnullGrebdnull Member UncommonPosts: 13

Originally posted by AmaneaMisa

So is Anarchy Online a truly great game? Yes. It's the best-looking online role-playing game out there, and it offers a truly enjoyable and varied [---].

Say what? Got to love troll/spam posts which make no sense whatsoever. Nine incomprehensible posts in roughly one hour and two of them has already been locked for necroing. Jeez.

• Jackal-79Jackal-79 Member UncommonPosts: 55

Makes me remember the good old days  :), love reading about how other's enjoyed the world of Rubi-ka ...Just wish they would hurry with the update engine...... Back then i played 16 hours a day lol but now 10 years on with a family of my own im wondering if it is worth it at all :(

Could such a heavy game be viable now with a family, im not sure...They should make games now with two modes x1 xp rate and a x5 xp on a completely different server for poeple with more ties :) then games like AO would probably get some older players back :)

Old skoolers should make an "Old skool game drive" and go back playing what we originally started , and give some of the newer game developers something to think about !