Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is best FPS game you ever played?

Comments

• osc8rosc8r Member UncommonPosts: 688

Quake World

• IronfungusIronfungus Member Posts: 519

Definitely Unreal Tournament 2004. Or any of them, I guess, besides for Unreal Tourny 3.

• SylenSylen Member Posts: 1

For all us old school PC shooter players.

Hexen 2.

• DerebusDerebus Member Posts: 54

I can't judge a game with another on different tecnologies applied to them, only if they were from the same time.

With that said, I would say Half-Life (1/2) to be the best FPS of all time, as it was rewarded accordingly. When launched, they both applied a new tier of story, graphics, gameplay, background that no other game had done. And thanks Quake 1's scripts to be base of Half Life 1 ;D, so good work there by Valve, without forgetting id.

Multiplayer related, I would have to throw the bone to counter-strike, once, or maybe still is, one of the worlds most famous multiplayer fps out there, but IMO, it was Battlefield that set a new sort of teamwork experience, plus you could press E and RIDE ANYTHING! No other game before that had this, so great memories..

Future: WoD, SWTOR, Arche Age, Tera (maybe), GW2.
    Present: None.
    Past: Eve, RIFT, UO, bunch of F2P crap.

• rykimrykim Member Posts: 76

Old school, Hexen.

Main stream...I would say Half Life for obvious reasons, but no other title has really gripped me like F.E.A.R.

• kalakujakalakuja Member Posts: 24

Natural selection

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Best for me was Goldeneye 007 on the N64.  I spent so many hours playing that game, just a ridiculous amount of hours.  Everyone I knew at the time played the game too, and we all took it seriously!  First Halo is up there for sure, but I always loved Goldeneye.

Doom 1 and 2 were great as well.  Half-Life 2...Quake...Counterstrike....any Tribes game, all wonderful games.  It is funny though, I really don't play that many FPS anymore.  Maybe I have lost some reflex as I have aged.

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

Originally posted by Sylen

For all us old school PC shooter players.

Hexen 2.

I played that, and I will tell why it was enoyable for me..... it was enjoyable becuase I was too young to be a critic, and too young to have certain expectations based on existing, or previous games, and  basically enjoyed the game for what it was. That is what old games remind me of, and why I enjoyed it. Thats just me though, not sure about you all. 

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• madmagic27madmagic27 Member Posts: 24

halo 3 because i was a 50. 

the custom games, communtiy and HOLY SH*T moments helped too. also a game that narcissists can FEED off of, lol.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Duke Nukem for single player

Counterstrike for multi player.   Can you say humuliation,  head shot,  killing spree. I can.

• hardgameshardgames Member Posts: 71

I think it's Counter Strike. It's a classic... or should I say, it's a legendary FPS. :p

Played: Runescape, Adventure Quest
    Currently playing: Aika Global, Atlantica Online
    Waiting for: Cardmon Hero, Dynasty Warriors Online

• iNeokiiNeoki Member UncommonPosts: 353

When Goldeneye 007 for N64 came out it was what all my buddies and I played through the nights and went to school half ass awake and stuff.  Then after that Counterstrike came along and those two are probably my favorite all time games mostly because they grandfathered multiplayer FPS for all other games out there.

TwitchTV: iNeoki

• BLeeDzACiDBLeeDzACiD Member Posts: 55

Quake 2 was definitly my favorite of all time.

• Siris23Siris23 Member UncommonPosts: 388

Best MP - TF2

Best SP (ever) - Systemshock

and if I strech the field a bit

Best FPP(ortal) - Portal

• MelogoreMelogore Member Posts: 58

The first Half-Life for me was one of my favorites of all time.  Doom though was the first fps I played that really scared me at some points.  All though Doom graphic are primitive and the gameplay was bland for todays standards.  I got the game on a share-ware disc.  the game only came with the 1st episode unlocked.  I played that over and over and over and over AND over AND over and over and over, then I bought the full game and played that over etc..etc..etc.  LOL.  I truely almost blacked out the 1st time I saw a pink demon.  No game really until half-life made my skin crawl like Doom.  Half-Life though took the win because it had killer A. I.  for the time period.  As well as a great story and multiplay was awsome.

• kirk.lucaskirk.lucas Member Posts: 3

FPS? Its absolutely SPECIAL FORCES MEN!!!

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

The ones that will always have a special place in my heart are:

Goldeneye (On the N64)

Battlefield 1942

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Best MP: BF2152 spent many many hours playing that game.. Think BFBC2 comes a close second tho.

Best SP: This is a very hard one as there have been many good SP fps games but i think ill go for HL2.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

single player FPS.. i would have to go with Halflife 2

Multiplayer online.. Counter Strike.. its still the king of that domain only have to look at the numbers to see it totally wipes the floor with all other multiplayer shooters

MMO.. Planetside.. because having 300+ people in a 3 way base capture/defence.. is .. and probably always will be.. a hell of a lot of fun.... shame about the giant robots though..

• BeermanglerBeermangler Member UncommonPosts: 402

Fallout 3 and Fallout NV. I KNOW they're RPGs, but I always roll a sharpshooter and have loads of fun sniping random things that have a pulse from a big distance, just to feel good about my skills. No VATS!

Better to be crazy, provided you know what sane is...

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Dont really play them single player so um Red Faction.

MP:  Old school Kingpin - was it the best probably not but 3 european titles in 2 years £10,000+ of gear won and the memories of a epic 2 year traveling playing it makes it number 1 in my book,  Also really enjoyed MOHAA and now BC2.

Have to also give a nod to pre-BFR Planetside a truly awesome game hotdropping in the 100s from a galaxy fromation to kill the Barneys and Smurfs was simply awesome.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by thamighty213

Dont really play them single player so um Red Faction.

MP:  Old school Kingpin - was it the best probably not but 3 european titles in 2 years £10,000+ of gear won and the memories of a epic 2 year traveling playing it makes it number 1 in my book,  Also really enjoyed MOHAA and now BC2.

Have to also give a nod to pre-BFR Planetside a truly awesome game hotdropping in the 100s from a galaxy fromation to kill the Barneys and Smurfs was simply awesome.

yup.. my favourite was terran too.. now.. if only SOE will do planetside 2 or next or whatever they are calling it.. correctly..and then maybe we'll have more MMO FPS awesomeness image

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

half life 2 as it appears in the orangebox is probably the best game i've played on the PC, period, let alone the best FPS.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• GoresonGoreson Member Posts: 122

I'm surprised to find so little mention of the Tribes series... so yes, Starsiege: Tribes and Tribes 2. Will have to get around to Tribes: Vengeance at some point in time I guess...

But as story-based 'singleplayer' FPS: Half Life!

• papakirbspapakirbs Member Posts: 8

For me it's Counterstrike. Still fun to play with buddies today as it was 10 years ago.

Single Player, it would have to be COD3 for the PS2. Great tank battle

Online, BF Heroes when it still was on the early stages. Coastal Clash until the wee hours of the morning.