Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some questions about Atlantica

Yo guys, Ace Of Spade, from the 90's (I know it is typed 'Ace of Spades' but I am diferent)

I would love to give Atlantica a try but I have some questions:

- I have seen people complaining about the paying system. Is this "PAY TO WIN" or "PAY TO GET IT WITHOUT GRINDING TO GET IT" or "PAY FOR USELESS STUFF BUT IT LOOKS COOL"? If it is "PAY TO GET IT WITHOUT GRINDING TO GET IT", what kind of items are we talking about?

- Can you explain the crafting system like I was really dumm, compared to other games? (don't dare to troll this question)

- Explain how do you create your character... do you pick a weapon and then a D-Class, then C-Class, then B-Class and lastly A-Class? How does that "Class" thing work? I don't get this part neither.

- Town Control/Government System: How does it work? You grab a guild or a group of people and conquer a town for your own? What do you do if you control a town?

- Is this game "grindy" or a FUN grind? (I know grind is subjective... but I mean the kind of grind that doesn't get too repetetive and old)

- How does the turn base work? Is it like you have a bar that fills and when it is filled, you pick a action for a certain number of time while everyone waits or it is a bar that fills and you get to pick your attack BUT it doesn't make the whole fight stop because of you? Confused.

I speacially wanted to try this one because it is turn based. That is new for my MMO experience and it could be fun BUT if the rest of the game is a "failure", then I don't see why should I try this. That is why I am asking these questions to make sure if it is a failure or not... I hope not because it "sounds" not, but the reality could be diferent than what it is showed in theory.

I see a universe where unicorns fly... and my mother-in-law is in a grave at last.
|BEST UNIVERSE EVA AWARD|

Comments

• inBOILinBOIL Member Posts: 669

i cant answer to you questions since im still newbie in this masterpiece but to me its HoMM Online,thats how i think all the time while playing this,damn damn amsterdamn,this is bloody HoMM Online.

-i havent spent any real money,and i dont really know why should i ? maybe veterans could tell

-you can hire more powerfull mercs when you advance in levels,but itsnot that simple at all,since i think Monk for example is good to have all the time and you can get Monks early in the game and such,it depends which kind of group you want to build.

-you cant roll your maincharacter that chainsaw massager until you have lvl 100 main or something,and that dude is supposed to be very powerfull main,i think.

-i dont know anything why some guilds are owning towns ,no idea really ,but thats even better since theres a lot to learn.

-i dont know how to explain this crafting ,you start your crafting process and while you fight and get experience then your crafting process advances also,something like that.

some info about mercs

http://atlantica.wikia.com/wiki/Mercenary 

Generation P

• 6SlipKnoT66SlipKnoT6 Member CommonPosts: 144

If you want to play just for fun, you will give up at lvl ~100 because the PVP brackets are just stupid ( facing lvl 125 when you are lvl 100 isnt fun at all ). Before that the game is awesome.

If you want to compete you have to put AT LEAST 30$(15$ for warrior pack and 15$ for bless license) per month and 15$ after you can afford buying blessing license (150% damage in PVE and 50% more exp ). After you get at some level, lets say 113 which will be in a few weeks or months, depending on your playtime, you will need to spend INSANE amount of money on gear which you need to upgrade every few levels untill 140. 

The top players in the game are pimped a lot, because if another top player leaves, they give all of their stuff to that  top player.

All in all its an awesome game to try out.

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

It's pay to win.  But you can play to level 95 or so without needing to spend money. Then it's really helpful to have a blessing license ($15 a month), becaues the difficulty and the experience needed to level up increaess dramatically.

Beyond that, mounts have a huge impact on character stats. The most recent ones are completely ridiculous. Further, you can't buy these mounts, you only buy a chance to get the mount. You have like a 1 in 20 (1 in 25?) chance of getting one out of a gamble box, and those boxes cost $10 each.

And then you need Atlas Ore for lots of different stuff. Including upgrading gear (which is also gambling based). This is mostly important at levels 113 and up, when gear is very hard to acquire (basically needs to be crafted, but it's slow to craft...)

And recently they've introduced Cash Shop mercenaries. These cost $50-70 and are a lot better than the ones you can get in game.

Now techincally, you can get everything in the game because you can buy item mall stuff from other players. But in theory, most the people who do this do it by buying gold from farmers...

Crafting is actually pretty decent - you can make almost everything in the game.  Essentially, you acquire ingedients, then pick the crafting skill and hit the "Craft" button. Then you need to earn workload, which is gained either by fighting, using crafting books (gained by fighting when you aren't crafting or from trading in dismantled gear shards) or autocraft, which is just letting your character sit down and craft.

You create a character by picking an appearance, a main weapon, and name. That's it. The D-class, C-class, etc stuff just applies to your mercenaries, characters that you can acquire to help fight battles with you.

It's a guild thing. Basically you get guild points for doing things as a guild, and you use these points to bid on a town (against other guilds). Once you have them, you can build it up, but mostly you just get the fees from the services that people use while in the town.

It's a little grindy, but pretty fun.

The turn based combat works like well, turns. You have 30 seconds to move 5 of your mercs. Then the AI had 30 seconds to move its mercs (more like 10, as it's an AI and doesn't need to think).

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• 6SlipKnoT66SlipKnoT6 Member CommonPosts: 144

Originally posted by trancejeremy

And then you need Atlas Ore for lots of different stuff. Including upgrading gear (which is also gambling based). This is mostly important at levels 113 and up, when gear is very hard to acquire (basically needs to be crafted, but it's slow to craft...)

And recently they've introduced Cash Shop mercenaries. These cost $50-70 and are a lot better than the ones you can get in game.

Before atlas ore and insane increasing in levels it was great game, even with 120lvl being max, but the atlas ore killed the game and the cash shop mercs was the final nail in the coffin.  A game with damn great potential. I hope some day we get another one with same combat system, but with monthy fees.

• AceOfSpade90AceOfSpade90 Member Posts: 88

I tried to game but unfornatelly I didn't like.

The UI is weird and bad looking (my opinion, dunno if others like it). The combats are turned based but why do I have to spend some time turns LOOTING the enemies instead of (in the end) auto-loot in the end of the battle?

When I though of turn based, I though some people (probably with a agility status) would get there first and attack first. It ain't the case, it is "My team turn" then "Your team turn" then "My team turn again" and so on with 30 seconds (everybody did warn me but I though (probably because I was too dumm to figure out what were you trying to say) that it was 30 seconds PER character IF their own "time" bar got there first). In other words, I though the turn system would be pretty Final Fanta'ish like 7 or 8. Hell, I wouldn't mind for something like FF10.

- Final fantasy ain't the only game with turn based combat

Okay... Chrono Trigger, even mario rpg (YES I SAID IT *cries*), even secret of mana...

Now this ain't GOOD quality turn basing combat. What happends to the INDIVIDUAL CHAR? Like this, it looks like "okay okay, let's stop and get hitted by ALL the enemies" "okay boys, let the hero and his mercenaries attack now, stop and have a break, I mean, follow the script" instead of mixed fighting of enemies and allies between each others here and there.

Maybe the battle system works for a few people, not for me. There are better ways of doing a turn based mmo.

- Yeah but I bet you can't do better

Even though I am a computer programmer and know some design, it is true because I hardly ever programmed video games, I'm a "busniess" programmer BUT I know that stuff ain't that hard has it is painted. It is even more easy to do it than the corrent system they did.

Well, thank you anyway for your answers and yeah, it is time to give MMORPG's a break... it looks like I'm kinda "burned" out going to spend some quality time in other kind of games. I just downloaded S4 league, let's see what it shows... but that ain't this forum's department so...

"su su" and thanks a lot, not my kind of game (The sims for "bye", I know it because I played the original sims when I was WAAAY young and stupid but that "jirb-dish" language got stuck thru the years.)

P.S: Besides, the cash shop IS a steal to anyone's pockets. Or are you either rich and want to spend a gazillion $$$$$/€€€€€/£££££ on upgrades or you can enjoy it for some little time and then move out.

I see a universe where unicorns fly... and my mother-in-law is in a grave at last.

Thank you

Michael Bitton

• reimarureimaru Member Posts: 228

maybe you need soem good old console/pc single player RPGs, there are some cool rpgs that are out already

everyone will probably get burned out in mmos these days, since some (or maybe most) games that are available are just copies of other games

well atlantica was good, too bad for the pay to win business model, hopefully some developers will inspired to try turn based combat rpgs and try to experiment a new kind of battle engine

Originally posted by reimaru

maybe you need soem good old console/pc single player RPGs, there are some cool rpgs that are out already

everyone will probably get burned out in mmos these days, since some (or maybe most) games that are available are just copies of other games

well atlantica was good, too bad for the pay to win business model, hopefully some developers will inspired to try turn based combat rpgs and try to experiment a new kind of battle engine

Or maybe it is time for me to mess up a certain RPG maker program... I always liked those programms and need to refine my programming skills + imagination. What's cooler then having imagination, refine lost skills and use logic when creating something you like? Too bad I never complete one of those games because it takes several months but it is always time well spent. Again, it ain't this forum's department.

Thank you for all your answers, opinions and help.

Again, thanks Michael Bitton for the help.