Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some questions...

YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I am eyeing this game as a potential game to spend my time but there are however some things that worry me.

• I heard the game has the same advancement system as Eve. I.e. you gain points continually without any action on your part which means I can just log off for a month and have the same advancement points as someone who played for a month. So is that true that you cannot affect your EPs, or what its called?

• Also heard that the combat in this game is mostly auto attack with very few special abilities. I.e. it is all about DPS and there are few or none CC, Debuffs, situational attacks, heals etc. Is that true?

• Finally I wonder what the end game of this game is. Is it like Eve where corps duke it out, trying to control sectors or....?

Thanks

Comments

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Hm, not one reply? Not many people must be playing this game...

• eowetheoweth Member Posts: 273

You might try the Game Guide on their website, which seems to answer many of your questions especially the one about extension points and training.

A few days ago they announced a new 15 day trial program, so you can hop on in and see for yourself what it's like.

Haven't tried it myself yet, so can't really speak about combat or end game.

Originally posted by Robokapp

sandboxes dont have endgame. The concept makes no sense. Your character progresses in knowledge, not in balance of power against the world.

Nonsense. Eve is a sandbox and its endgame is generally considered corp wars.

Sandbox simply means that you as a player create the content, such as corps fighting wars over structures and territories they have claimed/built.

Originally posted by eoweth

You might try the Game Guide on their website, which seems to answer many of your questions especially the one about extension points and training.

A few days ago they announced a new 15 day trial program, so you can hop on in and see for yourself what it's like.

Haven't tried it myself yet, so can't really speak about combat or end game.

Well I generally avoid the game official site for info. Why? Because they have the tendency to, obviously, make things better than they actually are. They are biased, naturally so.

As for trial, that is why I am making this post. To see if it is worth downloading and installing the game to begin with.

A deal breaker for me if I cannot influence my progression, i.e. I have to wait to get experience points, rather than earn it.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Yamota

Nonsense. Eve is a sandbox and its endgame is generally considered corp wars.

No, it is not an endgame regardless how or who consider anything.

Players do not create content unless they have an access to code which they do not have.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Yamota

A deal breaker for me if I cannot influence my progression, i.e. I have to wait to get experience points, rather than earn it.

Experience points isn't a game progression. Same as you fail to understand with EVE...

• yahtzardyahtzard Member UncommonPosts: 36

I'll try to keep this simple and stright forward with minimal BS or fanboying (disclosure it's the first game thats hookd me in a long long time and I'd like to see the player base grow!!!)

First - Try it.  Now that the free trial is in place, if your only deterent is having to DL and install... Well you've already invested the time and effort to start and read a thread here and it's a growing game but NOT a HUGE file, quit reading this and go start the DL!!!

To answer your questions. (short answer, followed by something a bit lengthy)

1. EP (skill point) accumulation occurs in real time...

All the time wether your logged in or not.   So, yes you can log off for a month log back in and have the same amount of EP as someone who had been playing.  On the other hand, you may not have the real experience and player skill to distribute or use those points effectively and you certainly will not have the resources, equipment and social ties.  With two weeks of EP you can pilot an assault bot very effectively or jump into a Termis and start mining.  After that it's all just gravy, so how do you measure progress?

2. Maybe, depends on your frame of reference.

Line Of Sight, range and speed issues are core and controlling them makes the combat much more active than EVE.  There are support skills, like remote repairing, energy transfer, demob, de-rezz, sensor supressing etc... but DO NOT expect a Guild Wars style experience.  Most support skills are not effective in PvE (which is limited TBH).  In PvP a drainer/derezz /repper can absolutely tip the scales but the bots are a bit squishy so more often the advantage goes to whoever brings the bigger blob or focuses fire most effectively.  Essential PvP falls into two catagories roaming or intrusion... The intrusions tend to be slug fests whereas roaming requires more finesse.

3. Pretty much.

It is a sandbox so... set you own goals, or join a corp and further someone elses vision.  I cannot stress enough how important getting involved in corp life is.  This DOES NOT mean joing the first corp that you see advertising so that you can become someones indentured mining slave!!!  At this time a few corps are sponsering races, and arenas... there is political intriuge, constant forum trolling and meta-gaming (yuck!!!)... For built in content you can while away hours scanning, participate in intrusions (scheduled territory warfare) or make your own content... grab a handfull of freinds and go raid some unsuspecting miners before they rally a defense and chase you down... only to find that you've led them into a trap... ahh but their spys had tipped them off and now it's you who are cornered and outnumbered... you get the idea.  The end game is PvP.