Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Ultima MMO game being worked on?

MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,106

I think some of you may find this interesting.

Source @ Eurogamer

Question-marks - that's what hangs over EA's decision to stop people giving away Ultima IV for free; that's what hangs over BioWare-Mythic creative director Paul Barnett (formerly a Warhammer Online preacher) mentioning "secret projects"; that's what hangs over the mystery MMO an EA job posting exposed yesterday.

Are all three events linked? Is EA making a new Ultima Online?

It's a leap of faith, but why else would EA suddenly demand freeware sites stop distributing Ultima IV, a game that's been openly available to fans for years - and a game around which a enthusiastic mod scene has developed?

Tweeted Paul Barnett on 19th March: "Dr Ray just visited, he looked at the secret projects and he saw that they were good."

Projects? Plural?

Then there's yesterday's job posting for an MMO Web Architect to work on a something "huge"; something "monumental".

Years ago there was a sequel to Ultima Online, called Ultima Worlds Online: Origin. But sadly it wasn't to be; the 3D project was binned by EA in 2001.

Ultima Online, created by Richard Garriott and released in 1997, is considered to be the game that popularised MMOs. And it lives on today, albeit after countless face-lifts and game changes. Even so, Ultima Online has an audience many new MMOs would turn green at.

But how would EA recreate the je ne sais quoi of Ultima Online for today's MMO audience? There are fantasy MMOs by the dozen now; could a vaunted skill-based advancement of Ultima Online and its fondly remembered but brutal die-and-lose-all-equipment thrills translate?

How would EA handle adapting the iconic isometric graphics?

Perhaps by going free to play as a browser-based game?

Question-marks: I stroke my wizard's beard at you.

/played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

Comments

• vaultbrainvaultbrain Member Posts: 122

Originally posted by MaeEye

Source @ Eurogamer

Question-marks - that's what hangs over EA's decision to stop people giving away Ultima IV for free; that's what hangs over BioWare-Mythic creative director Paul Barnett (formerly a Warhammer Online preacher) mentioning "secret projects"; that's what hangs over the mystery MMO an EA job posting exposed yesterday.

It's a leap of faith, but why else would EA suddenly demand freeware sites stop distributing Ultima IV, a game that's been openly available to fans for years - and a game around which a enthusiastic mod scene has developed?

Tweeted Paul Barnett on 19th March: "Dr Ray just visited, he looked at the secret projects and he saw that they were good."

Projects? Plural?

Then there's yesterday's job posting for an MMO Web Architect to work on a something "huge"; something "monumental".

Years ago there was a sequel to Ultima Online, called Ultima Worlds Online: Origin. But sadly it wasn't to be; the 3D project was binned by EA in 2001.

Ultima Online, created by Richard Garriott and released in 1997, is considered to be the game that popularised MMOs. And it lives on today, albeit after countless face-lifts and game changes. Even so, Ultima Online has an audience many new MMOs would turn green at.

But how would EA recreate the je ne sais quoi of Ultima Online for today's MMO audience? There are fantasy MMOs by the dozen now; could a vaunted skill-based advancement of Ultima Online and its fondly remembered but brutal die-and-lose-all-equipment thrills translate?

Interesting? Only in the fact that it is all conjecture and speculation, and far-fetched ones at that.

First of all, if EA had any plans to make another UO, it would be plastered all over their sites in an attempt to drum up publicity so they can get a mountain of pre-orders going. This way, they could make a ton of money before releasing a half-assed, poorly put together, bug ridden, alpha testing quality piece of shit game that would not be worth the money spent on it.

Second, the reason EA is demanding sites stop distributing Ultima IV is probably because they are planning on releasing another Ultima Collection style game to try and bilk extra money out of people. Anyone remember the Orange Box Collection? Three of EA's only "good" games from years ago re-released at full retail price.

Thirdly, when EA says they have something Huge and Monumental, its a clear indication that they have found yet another EQclone idea and they planning on going through with it in the hopes that they can make the game that will make them the next Blizzard. EA wants the WoW killer, but the only thing that can kill WoW is WoW.

Fourthly, the only reason other games turn green at the sight of UOs player base, is when they become horribly nausious from the stench that is the rotting beaten dead horse that is current UO and its gold spammer, gold farmer, hacker, cheater, asshole players. Trust me, NO ONE is envious of ANY part of the current UO. It isnt even a threat to Maple Story. Hell, even Disney's Toon Town is kicking current UO's ass in subs.

Lets just face it, people, what EA is doing with UO now is ALL they are going to do. They are milking it for every last penny they can until their next EQ clone rolls out of the cloning machine and further polutes the MMO game pool even more. Just one last crushed tin can on the already oversized, festering, foul smelling heap that is the MMORPG market. Until that clone is spewed forth, they will use and abuse UO in an attempt to make it into yet another ieteration of WoW.

There is no plan for UO 2, and there will BE NO plan for a UO 2. What you see is what you get. Purple neon item dependent, quick fix, bug ridden, hacker controled crap.

• nolfnolf Member UncommonPosts: 869

I'll bother to take notice when I see the game released.

UXO has been chillin' under 6 feet of dirt for almost 7 years now.

I really hope that *insert game name here* will be the first game to ever live up to all of its pre-release promises, maintain a manageable hype level and have a clean release. Just don't expect me to hold my breath.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by vaultbrain

Originally posted by MaeEye

Source @ Eurogamer

Projects? Plural?

Interesting? Only in the fact that it is all conjecture and speculation, and far-fetched ones at that.

First of all, if EA had any plans to make another UO, it would be plastered all over their sites in an attempt to drum up publicity so they can get a mountain of pre-orders going. This way, they could make a ton of money before releasing a half-assed, poorly put together, bug ridden, alpha testing quality piece of shit game that would not be worth the money spent on it.

Second, the reason EA is demanding sites stop distributing Ultima IV is probably because they are planning on releasing another Ultima Collection style game to try and bilk extra money out of people. Anyone remember the Orange Box Collection? Three of EA's only "good" games from years ago re-released at full retail price.

Thirdly, when EA says they have something Huge and Monumental, its a clear indication that they have found yet another EQclone idea and they planning on going through with it in the hopes that they can make the game that will make them the next Blizzard. EA wants the WoW killer, but the only thing that can kill WoW is WoW.

Fourthly, the only reason other games turn green at the sight of UOs player base, is when they become horribly nausious from the stench that is the rotting beaten dead horse that is current UO and its gold spammer, gold farmer, hacker, cheater, asshole players. Trust me, NO ONE is envious of ANY part of the current UO. It isnt even a threat to Maple Story. Hell, even Disney's Toon Town is kicking current UO's ass in subs.

Lets just face it, people, what EA is doing with UO now is ALL they are going to do. They are milking it for every last penny they can until their next EQ clone rolls out of the cloning machine and further polutes the MMO game pool even more. Just one last crushed tin can on the already oversized, festering, foul smelling heap that is the MMORPG market. Until that clone is spewed forth, they will use and abuse UO in an attempt to make it into yet another ieteration of WoW.

There is no plan for UO 2, and there will BE NO plan for a UO 2. What you see is what you get. Purple neon item dependent, quick fix, bug ridden, hacker controled crap.

Vault, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel. :)

Actually, I'm almost of the same mind when it comes to EA and UO. Until there's a box on a shelf somewhere, I put no credence in anything even the slightest bit sequel related.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Adam1902Adam1902 Member UncommonPosts: 537

EA making a new UO? And you think thats a good thing..? A leap of faith?

You must be out of your mind. Look at the state ofcurrent UO. That's EA's fault. Imagine if they made a new one, it'd be the biggest pile of crap ever. The only thing remotely UO about it would be storyline and things like that.

I really, really hope your predictions are incorrect. Sorry to sound so negative but EA should be wiped off the face of the earth,

There's my 2c.

_________
    Currently playing: Black Desert Korea (Waiting for EU)

Always hating on instances in MMOs! Open worlds, open PvP, territory control and housing please. More persistence, more fun.

• vaultbrainvaultbrain Member Posts: 122

Originally posted by Adam1902

You must be out of your mind. Look at the state ofcurrent UO. That's EA's fault. Imagine if they made a new one, it'd be the biggest pile of crap ever. The only thing remotely UO about it would be storyline and things like that.

I really, really hope your predictions are incorrect. Sorry to sound so negative but EA should be wiped off the face of the earth,

There's my 2c.

Negative? Nah, youre right on the money friend. EA's executives need to meet with the grill of an 18-wheeler barreling straight towards them.

• Adam1902Adam1902 Member UncommonPosts: 537

Originally posted by vaultbrain

Originally posted by Adam1902

There's my 2c.

Negative? Nah, youre right on the money friend. EA's executives need to meet with the grill of an 18-wheeler barreling straight towards them.

This man knows what I'm talking about :)

High-five. Hahaha

_________
    Currently playing: Black Desert Korea (Waiting for EU)

Always hating on instances in MMOs! Open worlds, open PvP, territory control and housing please. More persistence, more fun.

• MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,106

I can understand all your feelings towards EA and another UO.  When I said this was interesting I didn't necessary say I liked the idea.  This was just something I found on Eurogamer.  

Time will tell.  But I really doubt we will ever see another Ultima game.  I just don't think the market is there and most gamers anymore don't even know what Ultima is.  It would still be a very niche game.

/played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

• GemmaGemma Member UncommonPosts: 337

It's a facebook game though, how lame is that...

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006

UO is still making money. As long as it's doing that then from a business point of view there isn't any need to make something else. Would be nice though.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• tiithatiitha Member Posts: 9

EA scrapped two potential UO games... I doubt they'll ever release any new Ultima games period after Ultima Ascension.