Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you staying past the free month ?

12345679»

Comments

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

So far via any means that it could be measured, no significant drop has been noticed yet after the free month. Will see how this holds as the week progresses.

I wonder though about the amount of endgame content, whether that'll be enough to keep players entertained. From what I gathered, it takes about 150 hours to reach level cap, after that it becomes a matter of what Trion has provided for the endgame, since hopping on an alt is less attractive than in other MMO's.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• levsixlevsix Member UncommonPosts: 363

No. I'm running hard!

Trion did some things right but there is too much that is familiar. I am beginning to think that I have been gaming for too long to enjoy these types of releases. What happened to innovation?

Rift does nothing new and looks pretty doing it. It is a polished product that is lacking in too many ways without bringing anything refreshing to the table. If they added a broader purpose to open world PvP, perhaps like in DAOC, I would give it a second look. Until then, I wish Trion the best but they won't be getting more of my money. I suspect that a lot of people will cancel their subscription since the free 30 days is about to expire.

Have a winner and don't go on a game over! Does your avatar make you powerful in real life? Check out the Mystical Enders gaming community. www.mysticalenders.com

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Today is the last day of the free month for the pre-orders at least. We will see next week if the game takes a nosedive on xfire or not.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

So far via any means that it could be measured, no significant drop has been noticed yet after the free month. Will see how this holds as the week progresses.

I wonder though about the amount of endgame content, whether that'll be enough to keep players entertained. From what I gathered, it takes about 150 hours to reach level cap, after that it becomes a matter of what Trion has provided for the endgame, since hopping on an alt is less attractive than in other MMO's.

I needed 3 days playtime to lvl 50, so just 72 hours.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by Kilmar

I needed 3 days playtime to lvl 50, so just 72 hours.

I think you're one of the fastest then or had some fasttrack way, the majority of players took longer to get there even when purely focused on leveling (see thread about it here)

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

Trends in these games tend to be subtle at first.  If there's a drop, it won't be that noticable a single day after the free month, unless you have hard numbers to analyze.  How many people subscribed on day one, how many started over the past month, how many officially canceled, and an easy to overlook but important number, how many people haven't canceled, but have stopped logging in regularly (They'll likely cancel soon)

Even if a lot cancel, it will natually be offset by people who didn't start on day one - but if that trend continues, those late starters will also be canceling in a similar timeframe. It's really at 2-3 months that a serious drop, if there is one, will become noticable to players just eyeballing it.

Also, my own account didn't officially expire until this morning, and I started with the headstart.  People who started shortly thereafter may still be around.  A lot may even have fallen for the world event scam, and will pay for one more month just to be even more disappointed come saturday, and it's just a lame clusterfuck of overcrowding and queue times.  Then if they're on the fence already, it'll be the next month that subs really take a dive.

Otoh, maybe the event will be a huge happy success, and subs will just keep going up. Anything's possible, at least, for now.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Actually, I've been quite enjoying the 1.1 world events.  The build up and lore has been fun. I just wish they had a better voice actor for Elsbeth. ^^  The only annoying part was the nerfs to some of the warrior souls. Just to appease various hysterics in the PvP brigade.  They will never be happy, so I have no idea why Trion even bothers.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • HonkieHonkie Member Posts: 152

Frankly, I found the way patch 1.1 was delivered to be very reminiscent of Warhammer patches.  Heck, one skill in particular received 7 different nerfs applied to it (two were bug fixes that significantly negatively decreased it's damage, other 5 were nerfs outright), and it wasn't particularly OP in the first place.

I gave it a shot, I was enjoying the game, but Adam apparently didn't learn his lessons after driving away the subs from Warhammer, and continues to distribute his version of "balance" in the same horrid, unfun, gamebreaking way.  I'm confident that the lights will stay on, but this game is going to go the same direction that Warhammer did, since the same guy is calling the shots and doing the same thing.  If they let him go soon (like, now, today, or at least this week), they've got a shot, and I'm pretty sure they could fill his spot with a half-retarded homeless drunk and achieve better balance delivered in a more player friendly way.

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

Thing is if they had just nerfed my character to oblivion that would be one thing -- but everything they have done has also served to significantly increase the grind.  Things like 15 plaques vs 4 plaques -- then raising the cost of the items as well.  It isnt like the game is very replayable...  IE if I decided -- well they nerfed my warrior tank into the ground -- lets make a cleric tank -- you get to do everything all over again.  Then you get to pay 125 pp for your mount on that character + 35 for the level 40 one when the time comes as well as gear it isnt like you would make much for your whole levelling process.  Since you did EVERYTHING already once (or twice for the stuff I saw in beta) it would be more like a job than a game.  Then having to run the dungeons over and over and over much more now than before plus grinding the factions at 300 per quest instead of 1000....

I simply do not trust trion at this time -- they had a fun little game.  But they sacrificed it on the altar of unfun in the name of balance and slowing people down.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Well today is the first day in which accounts will close if you don't play beyond the first month. It will be interesting to see how it plays out at the end of this month.

• MattVid6MattVid6 Member Posts: 7

I am planning on continuing on for a while at least. The game definitely isn't that amazing, but I am enjoying myself and my guild right now, so might as well keep it up. The community is more important than the game, for me, the game can be shit and I can totally enjoy myself for months if I am with the right people.

But I will continue playing with my girl friend, and my guild on my main for at least anohter month. However, past that, I don't really see the game holding my interest. I have already done the majority of the content in the free month. A few more T2 dungeons and then raiding and I will have done it all. That should be this week or next.

A decent game, but like all other games of the past 10 years ... it happens too fast. And I don't understand the whining about the nerfs. They were not heavy handed at all. Try playing the game and experimenting instead of just crying and quitting. Freaking WoW gamers are ruining the gaming industry 1 game at a time. If you are not the OP FOTM class, you quit the game? That isn't how balance works in games, sorry.

• JammaslamJammaslam Member Posts: 265

I started off enjoying the game, it just becomes too grindy from level 20+ on.  I got the game almost 2 weeks after release so still have a couple weeks free time but dont feel any wish to log in.  The warfronts are disappointing as well, I usually see the same people in there, and too few of them.

Was matched up with someone today who just stayed at the zone spawn in and jumped to stop from going afk every now and then.  I can only imagine wa fronts getting worse with the declining population

• UOvetUOvet Member Posts: 514

I enjoy actual MMOs. Rift is more or less a single player unless you have to do a dungeon. It's plain, it's boring, its unoriginal. The PvP is "blah", no point to open world PvP. The art style is even boring..and I like low fantasy. I've already unsubbed. Time to wait for SWTOR I suppose..it actually looks pretty cool the more I read about it.

I'll keep my eye on it but don't have much faith after listening to the devs and stuff at PAX. They're basically the same as every other company. "yes, sure, yes, we can't take risks, yes, yes, WoW did that  but sounds good, yes". All yes-men.

• ibe12ibe12 Member Posts: 35

After playing in most of the betas and playing for a month I'm done. I had fun playing it and may go back every now and  then when I'm bored but leveling just becomes a drag after a while in this game. The best way to level seems to be to PVP but thats  not fun because one side is usually more powerful then the other or you have one or two people on your side just doing what they want and not focusing on the objective.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by Honkie

Frankly, I found the way patch 1.1 was delivered to be very reminiscent of Warhammer patches.  Heck, one skill in particular received 7 different nerfs applied to it (two were bug fixes that significantly negatively decreased it's damage, other 5 were nerfs outright), and it wasn't particularly OP in the first place.

I gave it a shot, I was enjoying the game, but Adam apparently didn't learn his lessons after driving away the subs from Warhammer, and continues to distribute his version of "balance" in the same horrid, unfun, gamebreaking way.  I'm confident that the lights will stay on, but this game is going to go the same direction that Warhammer did, since the same guy is calling the shots and doing the same thing.  If they let him go soon (like, now, today, or at least this week), they've got a shot, and I'm pretty sure they could fill his spot with a half-retarded homeless drunk and achieve better balance delivered in a more player friendly way.

Yep, I'd give Rift a second chance immediately, if they ditched Gersh.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• Darkheart00Darkheart00 Member Posts: 521

Originally posted by centkin

Thing is if they had just nerfed my character to oblivion that would be one thing -- but everything they have done has also served to significantly increase the grind.  Things like 15 plaques vs 4 plaques -- then raising the cost of the items as well.  It isnt like the game is very replayable...  IE if I decided -- well they nerfed my warrior tank into the ground -- lets make a cleric tank -- you get to do everything all over again.  Then you get to pay 125 pp for your mount on that character + 35 for the level 40 one when the time comes as well as gear it isnt like you would make much for your whole levelling process.  Since you did EVERYTHING already once (or twice for the stuff I saw in beta) it would be more like a job than a game.  Then having to run the dungeons over and over and over much more now than before plus grinding the factions at 300 per quest instead of 1000....

I simply do not trust trion at this time -- they had a fun little game.  But they sacrificed it on the altar of unfun in the name of balance and slowing people down.

What spec it that? the last patch had more buffs for classes than nerfs and no class was nerfed into oblivion. Warrior tanks got some great buffs more than Justicars (cleric tank spec) so its obvious you never even played the game :p.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I didn't realize it was the same developer. It seems like rather than learn from mistakes, he's trying to prove that his post launch balancing didn't help kill Warhammer by trying it again with Rift and hoping for different results.

I guess as long as he can find a new employer down the road to pay him for some new project, it doesn't matter if the project that paid him for the last couple years dies after it goes live. Maybe the pay for lead devs needs to be based more on long term, retail success?

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

Originally posted by Darkheart00

What spec it that? the last patch had more buffs for classes than nerfs and no class was nerfed into oblivion. Warrior tanks got some great buffs more than Justicars (cleric tank spec) so its obvious you never even played the game :p.

What alternate universe are you playing Rift in and how do I get there? ;P

Since Headstart, they've steadily been nerfing away builds that don't fit into the very narrow, genre defined confines for each class. They touted Clerics and Rogues that could tank as well as Warriors, Mages and Rogues that could heal as well as Clerics, etc... Now, they are killing all those off-type roles and, in general, minimizing any synergies that bring actual variety to the game. Much easier to balance a game when there are a lot fewer viable builds, or everything is mediocre at best. Sacrifice fun? Who cares. Sacrifice what made the game stand out? Who cares.It makes the dev's balancing tasks a lot easier and boosts their e-peen power as they wield the mighty nerf hammer of doom. (I really think that for some MMORPG developers, that's their own little, fun "end game").

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

Originally posted by fiontar

I didn't realize it was the same developer. It seems like rather than learn from mistakes, he's trying to prove that his post launch balancing didn't help kill Warhammer by trying it again with Rift and hoping for different results.

I guess as long as he can find a new employer down the road to pay him for some new project, it doesn't matter if the project that paid him for the last couple years dies after it goes live. Maybe the pay for lead devs needs to be based more on long term, retail success?

Balance is not what killed warhammer it was due to many issues (poor game design, lag issues, over use of pqs, poor crafting, lvling via Scenario's etc) most people left even before the first major patch came out. Also the last patch in Rift had more buffs than nerfs, nerfs are part of MMO believe it or not people don't quit an MMO over it (example remember how death knights were nerfed into oblivion?)

Since Headstart, they've steadily been nerfing away builds that don't fit into the very narrow, genre defined confines for each class. They touted Clerics and Rogues that could tank as well as Warriors, Mages and Rogues that could heal as well as Clerics, etc... Now, they are killing all those off-type roles and, in general, minimizing any synergies that bring actual variety to the game. Much easier to balance a game when there are a lot fewer viable builds, or everything is mediocre at best. Sacrifice fun? Who cares. Sacrifice what made the game stand out? Who cares.It makes the dev's balancing tasks a lot easier and boosts their e-peen power as they wield the mighty nerf hammer of doom. (I really think that for some MMORPG developers, that's their own little, fun "end game").

Hmm there has been only one patch so you clearly making things up and clarify what exactly have they nerfed? Only thing i can recall is they nerfed Cholro a little bit because they were puting out sick healing in raids (didn't affect them in groups or solo).

I have justicar who is lv 50 and i have no problems tanking T1s/T2s and they haven't done any changes to the class at all...

Hmm there has been only one patch so you clearly making things up and clarify what exactly have they nerfed? Only thing i can recall is they nerfed Cholro a little bit because they were puting out sick healing in raids (didn't affect them in groups or solo).

I have justicar who is lv 50 and i have no problems tanking T1s/T2s and they haven't done any changes to the class at all...

There has been more than one patch and they also have been continually "balancing" through hotfixes since the start of Headstart. In another thread, you showed you know nothing about the Rift currency system and now you are oblivious to patching/hotfixes and numerous "balancing" actions that have occured to the game already?

Have you even played Rift? Seems almost like you are an underprepared, uninformed PR guy trying to bolster buzz on a struggling title, rather than an actual player submitting actual opinions.

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

I can give you three nerfs right off the top of my head....

#1) BOP no longer scales with AP.  This made BOP and TTT do about 55% less (yep it was nerfed to about 45% of its former power) damage and healing.

#2) BOP reduced from 160% of melee damage to 75% of melee damage.  Another 55% nerf to the same ability set(BOP and TTT).

#3 BOP and TTT have an internal 1.5 second timer so they cant activate more than once in that time even if you are fighting multiple monsters...

Before patch 1, If you had 60% block fighting 5 rogue monsters at a time as a level 50 you would say heal 220 and damage them 220 3 times per round(3 of the 5 monsters blocked) for 660 total and 660 total.

After balance patch 1, if you had 60% block fighting 5 rogue monsters you would heal 100 and damage 100 3 times per round for 300 and 300 total.

After balance patch 2, if you had 60% block fighting 5 rogue monsters you would heal 45 and damage 45 ONCE the first round and ZERO times the second round for 45 and 0 total.

So 1320(which was a little out of line -- but it wasnt known till people actually really reached 50th and got good equipment) to 600 which was somewhat overnerfed in my opinion to 45 which is utterly laughable and certainly not worth the points.

----

Thing is this not only affected solo hunting and tanking rifts, but also caused significant problems for paladins holding aggro in dungeons as all of that passive damage aggro goes away(holding aggro was laughably easy before patch 1 -- that paladins didnt take the 20% aggro bonus skills -- they took them after balance patch 1 or they had issues.  They have issues regardless after patch 2).

------

As for people not leaving due to nerfs also wrong -- I left as have many other warrior tanks.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Balance is not what killed warhammer it was due to many issues (poor game design, lag issues, over use of pqs, poor crafting, lvling via Scenario's etc) most people left even before the first major patch came out. Also the last patch in Rift had more buffs than nerfs, nerfs are part of MMO believe it or not people don't quit an MMO over it (example remember how death knights were nerfed into oblivion?)

As a matter of fact I do. I was there at the launch of Wrath(I've played WoW since late beta). I personally remember how damn much FUN DK was to play at launch. I also remember the ENDLESS stream of nerfs the class was hit with, after Blizzard had baited enough people into playing the class.  Bait and switch doesn't even BEGIN to describe their antics.

I'm hoping that Trion doesn't continue down that sorry, endless path. Why pander to the PvP types, who typically make up a MINORITY of ones player base(in these types of games), at the expense of the majority PvE players?  Because they howl the loudest? Just have your forum mod's macro "Working As Intended" and wield the mighty Ban Hammer of Doom, when required.  But thats not likely to happen. 

I've seen Ghostcrawler syndrome(focus on spread sheets and data mining tools, rather than fun) ruin more games than I care to remember.  I'm hoping that Trion doesn't become the latest victim of that syndrome, but it doesn't look good at this point.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • japojapo Member Posts: 306

Yeh....I'm staying.

But seriously...can someone make a sandbox style fantasy game that is not FFA Open World PvP?  Is that too much to ask?